Arizona does it again!!! (Is this legal?)

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:10 pm
@BillRM,
These days, if you get a check in the mail, you don't cash it, for pete's sakes. You deposit it. Then, if you want cash, the only ID you need at the ATM is your little card and a good enough memory to know your PIN. Smile
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:16 pm
I still use checks. I dont trust people to have my plastic because they can charge things to your account you dident ok. check your cell phone bill. I do quite often and find charges that have to be removed. I wonder how many old fogies like me dont even know its possible?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:24 pm
@RABEL222,
I have American Express credit card. When my wife and I were on vacation several months ago, American Express noticed some charges that didn't look right, so they called me to confirm those charges. I didn't make them, so they canceled those charges, and issued me a new card. Their policy is to safeguard consumers from fraud, and I'm completely satisfied with their support and protection.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:29 pm
@RABEL222,
Agree. Actually, I think most stores and so forth only have access to the last four digits and an approval number, but I'm kind of stingy with the number. I do use it in restaurants where the bright looking waitperson could copy number, exp date, and security code. I also audit every statement before paying.
Irishk

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 10:22 pm
@roger,
The Post Office makes me show my driver's license for credit card purchases over $25. She makes me take it out, even. She always apologizes and says it's a rule. Every now and then a store will ask for it if I'm making a particularly large purchase. I must look like I'm living an outlaw life lol.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 11:20 pm
@Irishk,
They're in a tough spot. Some people resent the ID check. I get grumpy if they don't check, though whaddaya gonna do when the gas pump doesn't demand a drivers license.

On the other hand, I can get irate if the person ahead of me isn't checked, and I am. What? You saying I look like a crook.

As I mentioned, I absolutely always verify the statement. I record the transactions in Peachtree Accounting, and when I press the payment key for that particular card, why there they are. A quick reconciliation, and I'm ready to write and record the check. If they don't agree, it's usually just a charge recorded against the wrong card. My only issues in the past have been with subscriptions being helpfully renewed without inconveniencing me with the details. I deal with those immediately. I do regret giving up my Consumer's Report as a result of their helpfulness.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:16 am
@Irishk,
What I thought to be funny is that I sometimes had to show an "ID-card" when purchasing something with my credit card in the USA.
My driver licence was accepted - my credit cards have my photo on it, and my driver licence isn't legally an ID-card ...
roger

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Give them what they expect. They expect a driver license. A passport would only confuse them.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:17 am
@roger,
Well, my ID-card even confused the police (though it says in plain English "IDENTITY CARD" on it) Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:49 pm
@Ticomaya,
Gov. Jan Brewer is a JOKE ... an utter embarrassment! And that's a kind as I can possibly be. OMFG!

(Not sure how to correct the flash video from appearing twice.)
JPB

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Their policy is to safeguard consumers from fraud, and I'm completely satisfied with their support and protection.

Well, no, actually their policy is to safeguard themselves from fraud. Consumers are only responsible for the first $50 of fraudulent use and they oftentimes waive that. I don't object to it either but it's not really my wallet they're looking to protect.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:24 pm
@Ticomaya,
Listen to Gov. Brewer's awkward/clumsy/embarrassing 30 second speech at the RNC ...

That's my governor.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:25 pm
@JPB,
No, you are wrong. Here's the American Express policy.

Quote:
Use the American Express® Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges. Period.

No fine print, no deductible --just pure protection, so you can shop with confidence.

Protect yourself with free Identity Theft Assistance.

Help prevent credit card fraud at the Fraud Protection Center.

Get notified of any unusual Card activity with Alerts.

We use secure encryption technology to keep your information confidential. And if someone uses your Card without your consent, you'll never pay any part of the fraudulent charges-not even the first $50.

If any fraudulent charge appears on your statement, simply notify us at the 800 number on the back of your Card, or access your account at americanexpress.com/myca and notify us by e-mail. In most cases, a temporary credit is given immediately.[\quote]
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
No, you are wrong. Here's the American Express policy.

Wow.

Hey, c.i. ... I've got your choice of bridges, which I will sell you at a tremendous price.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 08:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
You're the one who's already bought that bridge.

You see, when American Express found some fraudulant charges on my card last May when my wife and I were on vacation, they reversed all those charges, and replaced my credit card by sending the new card by Fed Ex. They didn't charge me a penny!

So, go screw yourself!

BTW, which bridge did you buy?

Another thought; so you paid your credit card company $50 bucks? LOL
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
@Ticomaya,
For people like you who don't understand the English language; here's the American Express policy.

Quote:
Use the American Express® Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges. Period.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
For people like you who don't understand the English language; here's the American Express policy.

It's stunning that you don't comprehend what JPB said.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:01 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
Listen to Gov. Brewer's awkward/clumsy/embarrassing 30 second speech at the RNC ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tZ6LEmKbu88[/youtube]
That's my governor.
That 's not really what we deem to be a "SPEECH",
as much as casting her delegation 's votes, with a little local polish.

That is very, very common in political conventions.
I wish that I coud trade governors with u.
At least YOURS is an AMERICAN, at heart.

David
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's not really what we deem to be a "SPEECH", as much as casting her delegation 's votes, with a little local polish.

The point being, of course, that all she had to do was cast her delegation's votes, and not embarrass the state. She failed.

If she ever goes off-script, it's an ugly adventure.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 02:52 am
@Ticomaya,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's not really what we deem to be a "SPEECH",
as much as casting her delegation 's votes, with a little local polish.

Ticomaya wrote:
The point being, of course, that all she had to do was cast her delegation's votes,
and not embarrass the state. She failed.
The paradigm is to include the local color
during the vote-casting process.

Ticomaya wrote:
If she ever goes off-script, it's an ugly adventure.
At least she goes in the right ideological direction,
toward pro-Americanism. I wish I were so lucky with MY governor. Individual freedom is not very popular in NY.
0 Replies