What is the greatest country on Earth?

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:17 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

dlowan wrote:

We're the greatest on deserts.

#1 on things that try to kill you, too.

We think the US is scary. You have bears the size of SUVs that rip you limb from limb and EAT you! You have rabies, lyme disease, serial killers roaming the landscape in great herds like bison, rattle snakes, terrifying spiders, mountain lions, wolves, murderers ready to shoot you for small change, earth quakes, tornadoes and George W Bush.

Mind you, we appear to have something of an increase in crocodiles and great white sharks eating us if we go near the water....it's almost enough to make you wonder if protecting them hasn't been a wee tad over done!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:29 am
Yeah, but we don't have drop bears . . .
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:33 am
@Setanta,
True...you just have rip bears.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:34 am
We also have the expecially vicious jackalope.

http://jeffareid.net/misc/jackalope.jpg

A cousin of yours, i believe . . .
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:37 am
@Setanta,
Nope. Our genetic lines diverged during the Photoshop era.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:58 am
@dlowan,
Well, that's not true: since late 18th/19th century, those were hunted and exhibited. And already in 1753 the Grimm brothers wrote about them.

Today, the largest regular exhibition is to be found in the German Hunting and Fishing Museum in Munich (and there's a special museum dedicated to this species near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, in Bavaria).

In Munich, you can see this watercolour and bodycolour painting by a rather famous German artist (Those watercolour and bodycolour studies were used by the artist as source material for his masterpieces, the prints).
http://i50.tinypic.com/11h8pj7.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Weird.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't kid yourself; our government, especially the conservatives, are trying their best to discourage minorities and the aged from voting. They advocate for intrusion into private lives - especially women's vaginas and pregnancies, and discriminate against gays, lesbians, and women on equal rights.

Even Romney, the front runner for the GOP, is a racial bigot who believes cultural superiority of Jews without any idea about the living conditions of Palestinians in Israel.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

I thought one drinks coffee, not smell it?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:03 pm
@Foofie,
One should be able to smell it before drinking it. In other words, some people's senses are "turned off."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I remember reading about the happiest people some years ago, and it turned out to be Denmark.

That could be that by standards that many people in the world subscribe to, being tallish, lankyish, blondish, chiseled featurish, connotes a look that is supposed to be relished by others. That positive feedback might just be making some/many Danes think they must be happy, since so many people think they are just cool looking?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:11 pm
@Foofie,
Just shows how out of touch with reality you are. Do some search on the web; you might learn something valuable; that you're pretty ignorant.
thack45

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:28 pm
Quote:
What is the greatest country on Earth?

Flavor country
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't waste your breath, Tak. This guy is so wrapped up in his own self-perceptions, reality passes right by him.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's a terrible thing to do to Durer!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:04 pm
@dlowan,
Albrecht would understand. It's for a good cause, i.e. identifying your antecedents.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 06:25 am
...here I was thinking that the greatest country on earth came from Nashville... Rolling Eyes
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 11:01 am
@Cyracuz,
Good one, Cyr.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 11:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Don't waste your breath, Tak. This guy is so wrapped up in his own self-perceptions, reality passes right by him.

If you are referring to me, you are correct that my self-perceptions are the basis for my opinions; however, my self-perceptions have been considered correct in too many aptitude tests to accept the opinions of others carte blanche.

But, it was good advice for someone not to waste his breath.

Many people do not like my willingness to say the king might be naked, and has no clothes, so to speak. My point is that many people have bought into the propaganda that some people should be treated extra special nice, for one reason or another. Not having anyone pander to me, I like to tell it like I see it, regardless if it annoys other people.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:40 pm
@Foofie,
"Aptitude tests?" ROFL
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 06:18 pm
Easy question; easily answered: The USA (in spite of individual self-loathing Americans)

Take a look at the demographics.

Unless one believes the vast number of people who want to live in America are idiots, in the true sense of the word, the fact that they vastly outnumber any similarly (wishful) mobile population, answers the question at a very basic level of response.

This dynamic actually presents a paradox for Liberals:

Buying into American capitalism is bad!

Brown immigrants are good!

So which is it?

American capitalism is good because brown immigrants want in, or brown immigrants are bad because they want in on American capitalism.