0

How Does The Bible Show That God Is Not The Cause Of Suffering.

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 09:52 am
I view of the violence and suffering being experienced by many, a person may well wonder if God is the cause of it. But, how does the Bible reveal that he is not the cause of the suffering many experience? Even at the hands of those who, under the guize of religion, perpetrate horrible crimes.
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,387 • Replies: 14

dalehileman

-1  
Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:30 am
@anthony1312002,
It's because, Tony, (a) contrary to popular opinion She cannot do the impossible. Thus to get the humanoid She had to provide a spherical rock with molten core rotating at 1000 mph and orbiting--at 17,000 mph-- a gigantic hydrogen bomb that will eventually burn out; and

(b) given free will of course...

...such suffering, what with crime, volcanoes, disease, etc inevitable

But how the bible confirms this is debatable

AugustineBrother

-1  
Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:37 am
@anthony1312002,
Actually you make 3 errors in how you state that question.

1) Jesus accepted the suffering of humanity as a way to lead us out of it. Suffering ultimately comes from bad behavior so it is our behavior that needs help and Jesus did just that at great cost. So you are wrong to make a separation like that.

2) When you say 'cause' you must realize that there are 4-5 causes. God is not the effective cause of suffering. The Creation was created with NO suffering. If you accept only parts of the Bible you will have to tell us why we should reject Genesis.

3) If the Bible is the Word of God then we have simple declarations that God intends our welfare but -- and here is a serious error -- If it is the Word of God why would you accept only part and call the other into question.
AugustineBrother

-2  
Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 07:02 am
@anthony1312002,
God allows as your eyes show -- but 'CAUSES'? You need to establish why that is even plausible. God can bring good from evil, that is the message of the Crucifixion, but one shouldn't invert common sense.

anthony1312002

0  
Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:12 am
@AugustineBrother,
Thank you for response. My apologies if I gave you the impression that I accept only portions of the Bible and reject others. My belief is that what
2 Timothy 3:16 says is true in that: "16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness," Thus the entire Bible is the Word of God and is true.

But that the Scriptures show that the Creator is not responsible for the suffering experienced today is found harmoniously in both the old and the new Testament. For example, in the Old Testament at Deuteronomy 32:4, 5 God inspired Moses to write down the true cause of human suffering while at the same time showing the he is not the cause. Then, in complete harmony with what was stated in Deuteronomy, the Bible books of 1 Corinthians and James both are in agreement with Deuteronomy 32. Please compare Deuteronomy 32:4, 5 with 1 Corinthians 10:13 And James 1:13. Fantastic harmony is found in theses texts.

JehovahLoves

0  
Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:36 pm
At 1 John 5: 19 it states that "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." And that wicked one is Satan the Devil.

Revelation 12:9, 12
TomTomBinks

1  
Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:27 am
@JehovahLoves,
Some JWs came to my door the other day. One of them was a hot young lady called Jocelyn. Do you know her?
Miller

0  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:27 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

What did this little Chick want?
TomTomBinks

0  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:15 pm
@Miller,
I think she wanted my soul...
Miller

0  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:16 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Are you sure, it wasn't your wallet that she wanted?
TomTomBinks

1  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:20 pm
@Miller,
Maybe, but I didn't let the conversation get that far. Even though she was a hottie I had to send her on her way.
Miller

0  
Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:22 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Too bad! She may have a real winner!

JehovahLoves

0  
Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:48 pm
@anthony1312002,
I know I have replied before, but I have more information from the Bible to share on this topic.
If you have a Bible read Job 34: 10.

God is never the cause of our suffering. Rather , suffering comes from the Devil, from humans who make bad choices, and sometimes from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. When we suffer, God is there to support us. He really cares about us.
cameronleon

1  
Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2017 09:34 pm
@JehovahLoves,
If you have a Bible read Job 34: 10.

I understand that what I'm going to say doesn't apply to all blind in general, but is a blind man is reading this topic, please tell us about it. (uh?)

Suffering might have a "purpose", which means, it is between us as part of our lives. I don't think that suffering is caused by the Devil, or from us because we commit sins, or because bad luck, or whatever.

There is the story of the dude born blind. According to others around him, it was because one of the parents committed sins, etc., but Jesus said no, that the poor fellow was born blind for the glory of God. And later Jesus performed a miracle.

Of course, this is one case alone, we don't see Jesuses around returning back the vision to blind dudes. But their suffering of being blind, because they lack of this essential sense of sight, is not because someone did something wrong or, because the Devil caused it.

HabibUrrehman

1  
Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 11:56 am
There are a number of reasons why God allows hardship and adversity to befall people. Even the genuine believers experience hardship and adversity at some stage in their lives in accordance with God's wisdom and Grand Plan. I know that this thread is more focused on biblical view of human suffering but let me share my understanding from Quranic perspective.

1- It is God's design to subject people to various tests entailing hardship and adversity so as to test their faith, their resolve and their trust in God:

Do the people think that they would be left to say, "We believe", without them being tested? (Quran 29:2)
We have tested those before them, so that God would know the truthful ones and He would know the liars. (Quran 29:3)

also:

We will surely test you through some fear, hunger and shortage of money, lives and crops, so give the news to the patient ones. (Quran 2:155)

To pass the test, the believer must maintain his belief that only God can relieve his hardship. The believer will always maintain his prayer and call unto God:

Who is the One who responds to the one in need when he calls upon Him, removes the adversity and makes you inheritors of the earth? Is there a god with God? Rarely do you take heed. (Quran 27:62)

2- Hardship and adversity is also decreed by God as a cleansing of our souls for sins we have already committed. As a result, some of the bad things that happen to us are a direct result of sins we have committed:

Whatever disaster strikes you is but a consequence of what your own hands have earned. Still, He pardons quite a lot. (Quran 42:30)

It can also be said that God, being the Most Just, would not punish us twice for the same sin. This means that the punishment we are given cleanses us and no further punishment is due.

The concept of cleansing the human from sins in this life is a Quranic truth. It can be achieved through the experiencing of hardship and adversity (as 42:30).
It can also be achieved through the giving of 'sadaqa' (charity) for the specific reason of cleansing the soul from sins which have been committed:

Take a 'sadaqa' (charity) from their money to cleanse and purify them with it and support them. Your support provides them with tranquillity. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable. (Quran 9:103)

3- Suffering through hardship and adversity is also a reminder for people who tend to take things for granted and forget all of God's blessings. Despite all the blessings given to the human by God, the human being is unappreciative. A little reminder in the shape of hardship or adversity may hopefully remind the human not to take God's blessings for granted:

If you count God's blessings, you can never encompass them. The human being is indeed transgressing, unappreciative. (Quran 14:34)
If We grant the human being a blessing he turns away and distances himself, yet when adversity touches him he implores profusely. (Quran 41:51)

4- Adversity and hardship is also a very effective reminder for those who are too much absorbed in this worldly life; thus they may not be as devoted to God as they should be. Due to their being too preoccupied with this worldly life they do not seek God nor call on God as they should:

He is the One who enables you to travel in the land and sea. When some among you were on board a ship that carried them through a pleasant wind, with which they were pleased, they were stricken by a stormy wind and waves that hit them from all directions. They realised that they were totally surrounded and so they implored God devoting their prayers to Him alone: "If You save us from this, we will be thankful." (Quran 10:22)

But then, when He saved them, they go transgressing in the land unjustly. O people, your transgression only falls back on your own selves. An enjoyment of the worldly life, then to Us is your ultimate return. We will then inform you of what you had done. (Quran 10:23)

5- Many people are either oblivious of, or need to be reminded, of God’s absolute authority. Hardship and adversity are one way to remind them that no one can save them but God, and also remind them of God's absolute authority. Some people need to be reminded that they need God every minute of their lives. Sadly, when God relieves adversity, many people return to idol worship once again:

O people, you are the ones who are in dire need of God, while God is the Rich and Praiseworthy One. (Quran 35:15)

If the human is touched by any harm he calls on Us, then if We bestow a blessing upon him, he says, "I have been given this because of my knowledge!" Rather, this is a test, but most of them do not know. ( Quran 39:49)

And if adversity touches the human being, he implores Us on his side, sitting down or standing up. Then, when We relieve his adversity, he carries on as if he never implored Us about a hardship which had touched him! The works of the transgressors are thus adorned for them. ( Quran 10:12)

When any harm touches the human being he implores his Lord in a state of sincere devotion to Him, but then if He grants him a blessing from Him, he forgets what he was calling for before and sets up equals to God so as to divert others from His path. Say, "Enjoy your disbelief for a little while for you are indeed among the companions of the fire." (Quran 39:8)

If harm afflicts the people, they call upon their Lord in total devotion, but then, if He allows them a taste of mercy from Him, some of them revert to associating partners with their Lord. (Quran 30:33)

Love and peace to everyone.