Is There a Hope For The Dead?

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:36 am
Jesus foretold at John 5:28, 29 that in the not so distant future he will empty the memorial tomb (the grave) by bringing back to life those we have lost in death.

What are your thoughts about this promise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,664 • Replies: 7

Tuna

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:51 am
Quote:
Apocalypticism, eschatological (end-time) views and movements that focus on cryptic revelations about a sudden, dramatic, and cataclysmic intervention of God in history; the judgment of all men; the salvation of the faithful elect; and the eventual rule of the elect with God in a renewed heaven and earth. Arising in Zoroastrianism, an Iranian religion founded by the 6th-century-bc prophet Zoroaster, apocalypticism was developed more fully in Judaic, Christian, and Islāmic eschatological speculation and movements. See also eschatology.

apocalypticism. 2015. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. Retrieved 30 December, 2015, from http://www.britannica.com/topic/apocalypticism
anthony1312002

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:11 pm
@Tuna,
I see this is a quote but what is your personal view?
Tuna

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:56 pm
@anthony1312002,
My personal view comes from having grown up at the end of the Cold War. And I developed an interest in Russian history somewhere along the way. Russian culture has a strong apocalyptic streak to it. Both of those experiences led me to look deeper into apocalypcism.

Bernard McGinn is a religion scholar who edited a collection of essays about it. There's a view that it's a feature of Indo-European culture. It's interesting to compare different versions of it. Vikings, Persians, Muslims, etc.

Sometimes apocalypticism changes from just being a background feature of the culture to an expectation that the end is right around the corner. It's happened over and over. The passage you quoted is an example of it. I wonder if that sort of thing is a kind of stress response. Who knows?
anthony1312002

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:04 pm
@Tuna,
That's a very interesting point. Because for a fact the human family is under a great deal of stress. Sadly, as I'm sure you have witnessed, much of it is due to our own fault. It is only here recently that some have begun to sound the alarm. But is it to late?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:27 pm
I firmly believe there's a hope for the dead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/Mt_Hope_Cemetery_Arch_3_zpsond1mcm1.jpg
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:54 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:

That's a very interesting point. Because for a fact the human family is under a great deal of stress. Sadly, as I'm sure you have witnessed, much of it is due to our own fault. It is only here recently that some have begun to sound the alarm. But is it to late?

It's not recent. People were doing it 2000 years ago. The quote you provided in the OP shows that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 04:52 pm
I have lately been reading of the dead being used to fertilize trees.
0 Replies