pls help me

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 03:12 pm
With 1: "This Month in Pop History - February
Grade: N/A
View Grade Information. Opens a dialogue
Due: Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm
The Billboard charts, the leading organizations for categorizing sales and other areas to determine the top 100 songs for a particular week, began in 1958. Below is the #1 song for the month of February from 1959, 1969, 1979, 1989, 1999, 2009, and at current in 2019. In certain months, the #1 song was different for each week, in which the song used below was determined based on its overall placement for the entire month. Also, on occasion, if a song was #1 for more than one month, the next most popular song by overall chart placement will be used for the subsequent month to provide more musical variety. Sometimes a #1 song is innapropriate for school and our filters, thus a different #1 song for that month may need to be used, in that case, I will but an * next to the entry.

Assignment: Please listen to all of the songs. Music often fits into a specific genre (Rock, Disco, Hip-hop). Some genres are connected to their time period (Disco-70's). Write down each title of the song and what genre you think it belongs too. Now, write down which song you think most perfectly fits into its time period and genre? Why? Which song feels like it doesn't fit into its time period or genre at all? Why?

You can complete this assignment at anytime over the course of the month, but it must be finished by the final day of the month at 11:59 pm. After that point it will be considered late and you can receive partial credit (60%) if you finish before the end of the current quarter in which the entire month takes place. A rubric is attached to provide further insight on expectations for grading.

Once you have finished, please respond to the Poll and cast your vote for your favorite song of the month and least favorite song of the month. I am curious what decade comes out on top.

1959– Stagger Lee by Lloyd Price
1969 – Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
1979 – Do ya think I’m Sexy by Rod Stewart
1989 – Straight Up by Paula Abdul
1999 - Angel of Mine by Monica
2009 – My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson
2019 - Happier by Marshmello ft. Bastille"

And 2: "This Month in Pop History - January
Grade: N/A
View Grade Information. Opens a dialogue
Due: Friday, February 8, 2019 at 11:59 pm
The Billboard charts, the leading organizations for categorizing sales and other areas to determine the top 100 songs for a particular week, began in 1958. Below is the #1 song for the month of January from 1959, 1969, 1979, 1989, 1999, 2009, and at current in 2019. In certain months, the #1 song was different for each week, in which the song used below was determined based on its overall placement for the entire month. Also, on occasion, if a song was #1 for more than one month, the next most popular song by overall chart placement will be used for the subsequent month to provide more musical variety. Sometimes a #1 song is innapropriate for school and our filters, thus a different #1 song for that month may need to be used, in that case, I will but an * next to the entry.

Assignment: Please listen to all of the songs. Pick one song that sends an empowering/postive message and explain why you think so in one paragraph or more. Then pick a song that sends a demeaning/negative message and explain why in one paragraph or more. Finally, respond to the question in a final paragraph. How is American culture influenced by the messages displayed in mainstream popular music?

You can complete this assignment at anytime over the course of the month, but it must be finished by the final day of the month at 11:59 pm. After that point it will be considered late and you can receive partial credit (60%) if you finish before the end of the current quarter in which the entire month takes place. A rubric is attached to provide further insight on expectations for grading.

Once you have finished, please respond to the Poll and cast your vote for your favorite song of the month and least favorite song of the month. I am curious what decade comes out on top.

1958 – Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by the Platters
1969 – I’m Gonna Make You Love Me by the Supremes and the Temptations
1979 – Too Much Heaven by the Bee Gees
1989 – My Prerogatie by Bobby Brown
1999 – Baby One More Timy by Britney Spears
2009 – Just Dance by Lady Gaga
2019 - 7 Rings by Ariana Grande"

and trying to talk to "diggly devito" on google+ (aka birdie)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 8,640 • Replies: 76
Topic Closed

jespah

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 03:37 pm
@strawberiix,
You'd better start listening then.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 07:17 pm
Witness, ladies and gentlemen, what passes as "education" in 2019.
@ Strawberiix - I'm so sorry that you are subjected to such an overwhelming burden. If I had a child, if I had a voice at a school-board meeting, they would hear it loudly and clearly.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 07:51 pm
@strawberiix,
As I once told a student/precious friend of mine, "The only way we can move this mountain is one shovelful at a time "
I can help you get started on it. I Googled "staggerleegenre". It said
" R &B / Soul " R &B means rythm and blues. Soul means "Soul music".
Then you could research rythm and blues and write down the characteristics. Then research soul music. Search something like " top 10 rythm and blues songs" and listen to a few. Then you will know that type of music when you hear it. Do the same with soul music.
cherrie

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 09:24 pm
@Ponderer,
That sounds like way too much work for someone who wants their homework done for them.
Ponderer

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 09:36 pm
@cherrie,
It sounded like "Please help me." to me.
cherrie

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 09:41 pm
@Ponderer,
Really?

It sounded like 'someone do my homework' to me.
Ponderer

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 09:48 pm
@cherrie,
There once was a song "Walk a Mile in My Shoes"
cherrie

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 10:04 pm
@Ponderer,
And what genre was that?
0 Replies

Real Music

Thu 28 Feb, 2019 10:24 pm
@strawberiix,
Pandora internet radio might prove to be helpful.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 04:40 am
@Ponderer,
Ponderer wrote:

R &B means rythm and blues.

Not anymore it bloody doesn't.

R&B is pretty shitty, unlike rhythm and blues which is pretty good.

And like you I'm at a loss as to why they had to grab the initials of an established genre for their shitty musak.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 08:00 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, OK. Nobody told me that R & B didn't mean rhythm and blues anymore. BTW, I don't get "And like you I'm at a loss..."
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 08:10 am
@strawberiix,
Not sure where the question is. It seems the teacher laid out her instructions pretty clearly and with ample time - not our fault that you did not do the assignment earlier and thus have to cram it in one day.

Quote:
You can complete this assignment at anytime over the course of the month, but it must be finished by the final day of the month at 11:59 pm. After that point it will be considered late and you can receive partial credit (60%)

So I'd hurry and get it done - so you can at least get the 60% credit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 08:13 am
@Ponderer,
Ponderer wrote:

It sounded like "Please help me." to me.

One would be asking help if this person asked a question about something they didn't understand in the instructions or they asked how you would go about starting this....

Copying the teacher's entire instructions with nothing else added seems to be a cry for help because it is the last hour when it is due and this kid is hoping someone somewhere would do this for them because they screwed around all month instead of spending some time doing the work they were assigned.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 09:19 am
@Linkat,
I once told my friend "If I had to do in school what is expected of kids now, I would have been saying "Do you want fries with that?" (with no regrets) Now, instead of actually "teaching", teachers spend an evening amassing an assignment, and then say "Here. Go learn something. It might take a month, but what else are you going to do at home?"
Linkat

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 09:30 am
@Ponderer,
Ponderer wrote:

I once told my friend "If I had to do in school what is expected of kids now, I would have been saying "Do you want fries with that?" (with no regrets) Now, instead of actually "teaching", teachers spend an evening amassing an assignment, and then say "Here. Go learn something. It might take a month, but what else are you going to do at home?"

I have two children - one currently in college and one currently in high school - my experiences with them is it really depends on the teacher. There are some as you describe above. And there are some that are really dedicated and teach and want the kids to learn. Fortunately for us we have experienced more of the latter.

The assignment here I read (assuming the student is in high school) - is clearly laid out and the average student should be able to handle it. And to top it off the teacher was kind enough to select a subject that should appeal to the average teen. I see nothing wrong with this assignment. And to be honest I cannot see that I would have had difficulty with it as a high school student - other than the obvious parts that would have changed due to differences in technology.

As a parent, if I had (and this has happened) a teacher that was dragging their feet or appearing to refuse to help my child (after my child has asked for help) - I would reach out directly to the teacher. I have done that before in the case of a teacher as you described --- and as a result the teacher made time for my daughter.

In your example - if my kid got something like that and they were unable to understand it - first I try to help them - and then I have them gather the questions they have on the assignment and direct them to reach out to the teacher for clarification. Other than the one teacher I mentioned above, they have all been receptive. I think it is one thing to go to the teacher and say "I don't understand" and another to go to them I started my project and I am unsure of xyz or I don't follow what I need to do for the next steps.

This is a valuable tool for a kid to learn - it will help them in high school and then further in their work. Most people are receptive to help if they see you have attempted to do the assignment but are hitting a road block.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 09:37 am
Since I am in a "Don't blame the child." mode, I'll leave a question that proves that ( I'd say "most") pre-school and first grade teachers don't know the first thing about teaching, thus setting up many kids to see themselves as failures.
A teacher is going to teach a child how to write. What is Lesson 1 that should be known by all teachers that are teaching children how to write?
A right answer will prove that they don't know Lesson 1 and don't teach it.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 11:08 am
I really don't know about "most". I just know from what I see continually that Lesson 1 is not generally known. I don't expect anyone to say "Teach us, Oh Great Pondering One", but I was hoping for some guesses or suggestions. I'll give it a few days and if no one answers, I will.
izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 11:25 am
@Ponderer,
Have you ever taught? I'd love to see you with a class of disaffected 15 year olds from a sink estate. They'd eat you alive.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 01:56 pm
@izzythepush,
You think so?