What is the greatest country on Earth?

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:21 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Seguro, chorizotapalandia.

Y tambien las programas de tele... (Mi reino por un caballo, Página 2), las chicas guapas (Najwa Nimri, Lourdes Hernández), las cervezas españolas... la lengua, la cultura, las peliculas, los escritores (Zafon, Pérez-Reverte) y mucho más...

Lourdes Hernández
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/38389953/Russian+Red+russian_red.jpg

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:25 pm
@JLNobody,
No one is going to pick Australia?

*And we still call Australia home*..

Although, I am partial really to ancient or old buildings and find the World totally facinating, including Indonesia, I wanna go everywhere and see it all.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:35 pm
@contrex,
Yo quiero la Hernandez tambien.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:00 pm
I don't know, I've only lived in two.

I love the States, I was born there... and spent time there in my mid twenties, but I grew up here in Canada. Came of age, here. Love it here. My people are here.

Home is where the heart is.

And while I could live in either country and be happy I think, as an adult, I chose Canada.

My family has two avid American/America lovers - my twin, who came back here because of the economy in the U.S. and a lack of health benefits, and my stepfather, who's now 84 and doesn't spend half the year there any more. At one point, he wanted me to sponsor him. My mother pleaded with me not to.

I don't think there is an answer really. Lots of really wonderful places I'm convinced. I've been fortunate to experience two of them.

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:29 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
In my view, anyone who thinks a particular country is the best, especially if it is their own, is displaying ignorance or brainwashing.

I have only been to nine countries, (not including Oz) but I found things about each that I thought were fantastic. I am sure that each country has things that are great and I look forward to finding more of the bests in each country I am lucky enough to get to!

I cringe whenever I hear anyone saying their country is the greatest on earth. Probably I cringe most when I hear Australians saying it. What I hear when it is said is profound and sometimes willful foolishness.
Thomas

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 06:12 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:
I don't think there is an answer really. Lots of really wonderful places I'm convinced. I've been fortunate to experience two of them.

Likewise, for the States and for Germany. (Nice to see ya, Joeblow!)
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 06:25 pm
@dlowan,
Is it Australians? Or other Cultures born here in Australia but claim that their Country is the best... That's what I find, found over the years , still, I still call Australia "home" ................

Man I want to travel now.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:02 pm
There is no greatest country on Earth.
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I think there's a really nasty sub-culture here of aggressive australian nationalism....I don't know how big it is, but it makes me sick.

I guess it's some sort of by-blow of the cultural cringe? Or little country syndrome? Or of the huge changes we have seen over the last few decades? I don't see it as coming from recent migrants especially.

The aggressive nationalism of other countries is revolting, too...but I guess I am more sensitive to it from other australians.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
There are many who will disagree with you, but I'm in your corner. "Greatest country" is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, like duh.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:38 pm
@dlowan,
I agree, with the "not coming from recent migrants". There are a lot of hard working "people" that are coming over here, to Australia and show alot of respect for this Country and their own. A new wave perhaps?

I think the agressive australian nationalism, stems from perhaps 30 or more years ago from the "then migrants" that came here...

Bit like kids of today and kids of yesterday and yesteryears.. Now they are spoilt but quite grounded and educated in areas that, well none of us perhaps were so much, as a whole off course.
George

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 09:16 pm
Red Sox Nation
G H

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 09:17 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
So, If America is not, which country is?

No need to bother with the best kept secret, since it is just that. And Walls? If only walls were truly a measurement. The biggest, longest walls / and patrolled borders for keeping people out versus the biggest, longest walls / patrolled borders for keeping people in. Which leaves head-count, the country with the most trying to get in, whether successful or not. Refugee numbers are obviously excluded, since they'd even be pouring into Hell-Two if it neighbored the Hell-One they were fleeing. Vacationers and business trippers should be omitted, also; since forty kilometers north of the paradise beach, the hotel skyline, and the 8-kilometer wide barrier of protective land-mines, there could be Cannibal Koragus and his rebel band of armed child soldiers waiting with a greeting party for strayed, lost foreigners.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 04:37 am
@Thomas,
Thanks Thomas. Waves back!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 04:38 am
@George,
Haha George!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 05:21 am
Sox sux . . . go Yankees ! ! !
panzade

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:00 am
@contrex,
Quote:
chorizotapalandia.
Very Happy

Hola Mannix!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 01:37 pm
@panzade,
Grand Fenwick.
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/f/fic-gfen.gif
JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
Many countries are great, if you are wealthy, and many are miserable--including the U.S.-- if you're poor. Class is more important than location.
Nonetheless, southern Europe is magical for me. To me food is a central cultural factor. I suppose I'd prefer Italy, or maybe Albuquerque if Ossobucco were my nextdoor neighbor.