MOTIVES For the Colorado Theater Murders ?

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:39 am

Any ideas of the motives behind these murders ?
Was this his way of protesting unemployment ?

Please note that we already have another thread
for discussion of the right to self defense
and of the best means to do it; accordingly,
please keep discussion of that to a MINIMUM,
devoting your comments to psychology, if u don't mind.

OK. WHATAYATHINK about the killer's motives ??

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 14,170 • Replies: 208

Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
gun worship...

it is capable of taking over one's personality until all they think about is guns.

we have this guy on the forum that is a prime example...
33export

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:01 pm
@Rockhead,
How long before we're treated to a communique' from the NRA's Mr. Heston disowning a disgraced follower?
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:02 pm
Whatever his motives, the fact that he could legally go out and buy quantities of guns no questions asked made his murder rampage possible.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:12 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Whatever his motives, the fact that he could legally go out
and buy quantities of guns no questions asked made his murder rampage possible.
Well, that 's really off topic and it might get Andy mad.

The other thread is for that.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:16 pm
@33export,
33export wrote:

How long before we're treated to a communique' from the NRA's Mr. Heston
disowning a disgraced follower?
Being dead, like he is,
it coud take a while; no seances on this thread, please.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Glad you started this thread, David.

For the record, I disagree with the previous posters (even if I did "thumbs-up" all three of them). Guns and the ubiquitous availability of guns provided the means for this madman's depredation, but that has nothing to do with his motives (which is what you're asking about, I believe).

Why in bloody hell would anyone find it somehow stimulating to open fire on a bunch of strangers he has never met in a crowded movie thater? (Someone I know suggested that there might have been just one intended victim and that the whole elaborate production of shooting down a bunch of other people as well was just a way of muddying the waters and avoiding the death penalty via an insanity plea. I chuckled.) Maybe there's something to what Rosborne said on another thread -- that there seems to be some quality to life in American suburbia which predisposes some people to homicidal behavior. Perhaps it is the relative isolation from close neighbors; perhaps just a feeling of inherent superiority to those less well situated.

I don't know. But it's a good subject for discussion.
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Being dead, like he is,
it coud take a while;

He is constantly being channeled by thousands upon thousands of other folks who are as idiotic as Heston was.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
for the record, I was being serious. (ok, I faked a jab at dave)

the "gun culture" breeds this sexual fervor with which some folks can fantasize about these crazy headline making rampages until they work themselves up to it...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

gun worship...

it is capable of taking over one's personality until all they think about is guns.
According to the TV news,
he only began his gun collection within the last few months.
I guess he did not have them long enuf
for them to bless him with their tranquility,
as thay did with me.

Rockhead wrote:
we have this guy on the forum that is a prime example...
GREAT! I gotta meet him.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:34 pm
We don't really know anything about him yet but I think he was trying to show the world how smart he is. I've read that despite his education he had been unable to find any kind of work at all.

If this was a movie I think we'd all be marveling at the "brilliance" of the killer.
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Why in bloody hell would anyone find it somehow stimulating to open fire on a bunch of strangers he has never met in a crowded movie thater?

From the excellent examples that their successive governments have provided them since the inception of the US, Merry.

Quote:
Maybe there's something to what Rosborne said on another thread -- that there seems to be some quality to life in American suburbia which predisposes some people to homicidal behavior.

He could have been enamored of all the US military veterans who have done the same and walk free on the streets of the USA.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:44 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

We don't really know anything about him yet but I think he was trying to show the world how smart he is. I've read that despite his education he had been unable to find any kind of work at all.

If this was a movie I think we'd all be marveling at the "brilliance" of the killer.

That is probably part of it...now tie that in to the "end of men" thread where we talk about the horrible economic condition of young males in this country and their confusion on what being a man means and the constant spreading of the message that men are to be feared and the message that men suck.

Maybe what we have here is a guy who had reached the end of his rope and decided "**** it, I will live down to expectations, let's see how much people like that".
OmSigDAVID

@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Glad you started this thread, David.

For the record, I disagree with the previous posters (even if I did "thumbs-up" all three of them). Guns and the ubiquitous availability of guns provided the means for this madman's depredation, but that has nothing to do with his motives (which is what you're asking about, I believe).
It is.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Why in bloody hell would anyone find it somehow stimulating to open fire on a bunch of strangers he has never met in a crowded movie thater?
He 's gonna pay a hi price, no matter what.
Even if thay actually let him go free,
he 'd be a pariah for the rest of his life,
instead of a respected well-educated man.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
(Someone I know suggested that there might have been just one intended victim and that the whole elaborate production of shooting down a bunch of other people as well was just a way of muddying the waters and avoiding the death penalty via an insanity plea. I chuckled.) Maybe there's something to what Rosborne said on another thread -- that there seems to be some quality to life in American suburbia which predisposes some people to homicidal behavior.
It happened in my naborhood,
around maybe 4O years ago. A nasty, old Sicilian murdered his son
because their respective dogs fought earlier in the day.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Perhaps it is the relative isolation from close neighbors;
perhaps just a feeling of inherent superiority to those less well situated.
The Sicilian was rather uncouth; not superior.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I don't know. But it's a good subject for discussion.
Thank u.

David
0 Replies

Irishk

@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

a) Insanity
b) Evilness
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:47 pm
@Irishk,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Irishk wrote:
a) Insanity
b) Evilness
Can u be more specific ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:49 pm

So far as we 've heard,
its not like David Berkowitz, hearing voices
telling him what to do.

I 've not heard any allegations of drugs being involved.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
aren't you the one who keeps yammering on about life after death?
33export

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Tnx for the reminder re Heston. Missed his obit somehow.

My guess: He wanted a suicide - by - cop exit.
boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know, hawkeye. I think if there will be anything to ever explain this it will be some sort of cultural explanation though so in that regard I think you're right.

At the risk of being lambasted by the feminists among us, I do think women have a lot more latitude in "proving" themselves. Men are still expected to "prove" themselves through employment, pretty much, so I get where you're coming from.

I also think there is a big disconnect between the things we say are important to us and the things that are really important to us. Everywhere you turn there someone talking head wringing their hands over science -- America is going to hell because we don't have any scientists, woe is us, our future is grim. And here's this kid who excelled at science. "The best of the best" was how one professor described him and he can't get a job.

Who does get a job? A bunch of beautiful, high school drop out, actors?

I can kind of imagine his frustration. Couple that with a dash of psychosis and maybe you get an event like this.

I'm rambling.

I don't think there is an explanation. I think he's crazy. Even if he concocted this whole thing to go down in a way that makes him look crazy he was still crazy to have concocted it.
0 Replies