Libertarian Party

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:41 am
Thomas wrote:
Not as a matter of principle. But as a matter of practice I do, because private coercion is much easier to route around than government coercion. When my employer, my club, or my neighbors coerce me too much, finding replacements isn't too difficult. I just find a new job, join a different club, or move to another neighborhood. By contrast, when it's my government that coerces me too much, finding a substitute can be done, but it's much harder. This is especially true for a national government.

But, of course, your wide range of choices is, in part, the product of current government regulations. Do you think you would have as many employment opportunities if, for instance, all antitrust regulations were removed? Do you think that your choice of neighborhoods would be as vast if regulations banning discrimination in housing were repealed?

Thomas wrote:
Technical question: When you say "private economic coercion", does "economic" mean "pecuniary" for you? Or does it include mobbing, deflating the tires of your car, and other non-pecuniar forms of economic coercion? I don't think it makes a big difference to the conclusion, but would feel more comfortable if the terms are clear.

Well, it means "marketplace" coercion. For example, if only one company made cars, the company could charge monopolist prices for its products. The choice, then, would be to pay the inflated price or do without. That would be coercive. If an employer could force you to accept a low wage, and you had no other opportunities to find comparable work because of industry-wide blacklisting, that would be coercive. If a company offered you a low price for your business and threatened to use Rockefeller-like tactics to bankrupt you if you refused, that would be coercive.

I would fully expect capitalists, in an unregulated marketplace, to engage in the kind of behavior you describe, but I don't count that as "marketplace coercion."

Thomas wrote:
I agree it ought to, but see no reason to believe that it would. If there's a correlation between some reasonable measure of equality in a nation and some reasonable measure of how much the government is stepping in, I have never seen evidence of it.

A good topic for a PhD dissertation.

Thomas wrote:
But let me rephrase my question. Let's say you are forced to emigrate for some reason. You can freely choose the country; in fact, you get to write that country's laws and define the values of its society. Where would you choose the boundary between private and government institutions to be, and why?

An interesting question, Thomas, but one that would require far too much time and effort to answer. I would just say that government institutions would be coterminous with civic rights.

Thomas wrote:
I disagree about rights. For one, some rights were much more liberal in the 19th century than they are today. Just think of drug laws -- cocaine, marijuana and morphium were all legal and in fairly widespread use.

Quite true (except for marijuana, which was not widely used in the US except to make rope), but they were used primarily in medicines. Of course, in a libertarian society, there would be no governmental regulation of foodstuffs and pharmaceuticals at all, so we could all have the right to return to the good old days of tainted meats and patent nostrums.

Thomas wrote:
Moreover, I don't see why we'd have to re-introduce slavery or repeal womens' right to vote to get a 19th century type government again.

No, but we'd certainly repeal all labor, health, social security, educational, and marketplace regulations. That wouldn't be a return to 19th century rights, that would be more like the 17th century.

Thomas wrote:
But yes, I might be willing to accept 19th century type services and protections. Why not?

Why not simply return to a Hobbesian state of nature?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 02:28 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Do you think you would have as many employment opportunities if, for instance, all antitrust regulations were removed? Do you think that your choice of neighborhoods would be as vast if regulations banning discrimination in housing were repealed?

Hell yes! Monopoly-regulating agencies notoriously turn into agencies for conserving the monopoly -- the sad history of railroad regulation and the ICC is especially instructive here. Historically, democratic government is no more likely to legislate emancipation than to legislate that blacks can only sit in the back of the bus -- a bill the bus companies lobbied against when it was introduced, and that was repealed only by the private initiative of citizens like Martin Luther King. But my conclusion doesn't even depend on this strong form of the assumption. It continues to hold as long as more government coercion is sacked than private coercion is introduced, measured by the ease with which I can route around it. I am certain that this is the case in the scenario we are talking about.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, it means "marketplace" coercion. For example, if only one company made cars, the company could charge monopolist prices for its products. The choice, then, would be to pay the inflated price or do without. That would be coercive.

Thanks for clarifying. You are certainly aware that you're using a non-standard definition of coercion here. Here is one version of the standad definition: According to encyclopedia.com, coercion is "the unlawful act of compelling a person to do, or to abstain from doing, something by depriving him of the exercise of his free will, particularly by use or threat of physical or moral force. In many states of the United States, statutes declare a person guilty of a misdemeanor if he, by violence or injury to another's person, family, or property, or by depriving him of his clothing or any tool or implement, or by intimidating him with threat of force, compels that other to perform some act that the other is not legally bound to perform. " I don't see how any of your examples match this definition.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I disagree about rights. For one, some rights were much more liberal in the 19th century than they are today. Just think of drug laws -- cocaine, marijuana and morphium were all legal and in fairly widespread use.

Quite true (except for marijuana, which was not widely used in the US except to make rope), but they were used primarily in medicines. Of course, in a libertarian society, there would be no governmental regulation of foodstuffs and pharmaceuticals at all, so we could all have the right to return to the good old days of tainted meats and patent nostrums.

I doubt that tainted meats were ever as much of a problem as modern people think they were, if you discount for average people being 20 times poorer in the 19th century than they are today. Poisoning your customers is rarely a profitable business strategy, so butchers have an incentive not to sell it regardless of what the government does. Patent nostrums are still en vogue. They are now called homeopathy, Christian Science, and acupuncture. The availability of genuinely helpful medicine is a consequence of technical progress. Patent nostrums against infections were pervasive in the 19th century because antibiotics hadn't yet been invented, not because Congress neglected to outlaw them.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Moreover, I don't see why we'd have to re-introduce slavery or repeal womens' right to vote to get a 19th century type government again.

No, but we'd certainly repeal all labor, health, social security, educational, and marketplace regulations. That wouldn't be a return to 19th century rights, that would be more like the 17th century.

We'd need a few decades to ensure a smooth transition, but in the long run and as a matter of principle -- fine with me.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
But yes, I might be willing to accept 19th century type services and protections. Why not?

Why not simply return to a Hobbesian state of nature?

We can't possibly do that, no matter how hard we try. Humans want to cooperate, have been cooperating ever since they came off the trees, and Hobbes's "war of all against all" never happened. It was no more than a scary piece of fiction that turned out to sell lots of books.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 06:43 pm
www.lp.org
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:07 pm
Thomas wrote:
Hell yes! Monopoly-regulating agencies notoriously turn into agencies for conserving the monopoly -- the sad history of railroad regulation and the ICC is especially instructive here. Historically, democratic government is no more likely to legislate emancipation than to legislate that blacks can only sit in the back of the bus -- a bill the bus companies lobbied against when it was introduced, and that was repealed only by the private initiative of citizens like Martin Luther King. But my conclusion doesn't even depend on this strong form of the assumption. It continues to hold as long as more government coercion is sacked than private coercion is introduced, measured by the ease with which I can route around it. I am certain that this is the case in the scenario we are talking about.

This is a good example of why I think libertarians must believe that people, in general, are both good and rational.

Thomas wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. You are certainly aware that you're using a non-standard definition of coercion here. Here is one version of the standad definition: According to encyclopedia.com, coercion is "the unlawful act of compelling a person to do, or to abstain from doing, something by depriving him of the exercise of his free will, particularly by use or threat of physical or moral force. In many states of the United States, statutes declare a person guilty of a misdemeanor if he, by violence or injury to another's person, family, or property, or by depriving him of his clothing or any tool or implement, or by intimidating him with threat of force, compels that other to perform some act that the other is not legally bound to perform. " I don't see how any of your examples match this definition.

Your definition is wrong. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "crime" of coercion. Blackmail, extortion, and certain forms of blacklisting are illegal, but "coercion," by itself, isn't. Certainly, you'd agree that both boycotts and strikes, for example, are legal forms of economic "coercion."

Thomas wrote:
I doubt that tainted meats were ever as much of a problem as modern people think they were, if you discount for average people being 20 times poorer in the 19th century than they are today. Poisoning your customers is rarely a profitable business strategy, so butchers have an incentive not to sell it regardless of what the government does. Patent nostrums are still en vogue. They are now called homeopathy, Christian Science, and acupuncture. The availability of genuinely helpful medicine is a consequence of technical progress. Patent nostrums against infections were pervasive in the 19th century because antibiotics hadn't yet been invented, not because Congress neglected to outlaw them.

Well, the problem with marketplace responses -- even if they worked perfectly -- is that they tend to work slowly. Consumers may not even notice the first customer who is killed after eating tainted meat, nor indeed the second or the tenth or the hundredth. Furthermore, the fact that the market punishes "bad" companies who sell tainted meat is small consolation to the first few consumers who unwittingly offer their services gratis as the "canaries in the mine" for all the other consumers.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:47 am
joefromchicago wrote:
This is a good example of why I think libertarians must believe that people, in general, are both good and rational.

As it happens, I do believe that people are better and more rational than the press they are getting. But notice that my conclusion doesn't depend on this belief. It depends on two other assumptions: 1) People who happen to work for the government are just as bad and stupid as people in the private sector, and 2) badness and stupidity are easier to route around when you're dealing with the decentralized structures of voluntary associations than with the centralized structures of government. My conclusion is independent of how good and rational people generally are.

joefromchicago wrote:
Your definition is wrong.

Maybe so, but it happens to be consistent with the definition of standard references like Brockhaus and Encyclopedia Britannica. I only cited encyclopedia.com because it is accessible freely online. You can read the article here. If their definition is wrong, what would the law community consider the authoritive reference for defining "coercion" in a legal context? How does this reference define it?

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, the problem with marketplace responses -- even if they worked perfectly -- is that they tend to work slowly.

Slower than government responses? You are obviously unfamiliar with the processing times typical for the FDA.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:55 am
Thomas wrote:
My conclusion is independent of how good and rational people generally are.

I will simply point out that you are much more of an optimist than me.

Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Your definition is wrong.

Maybe so, but it happens to be consistent with the definition of standard references like Brockhaus and Encyclopedia Britannica. I only cited encyclopedia.com because it is accessible freely online. You can read the article here. If their definition is wrong, what would the law community consider the authoritive reference for defining "coercion" in a legal context? How does this reference define it?

There is, as far as I know, no authoritative legal definition of "coercion," for the simple reason (as I pointed out earlier) that "coercion" is not, by itself, illegal. To the extent that it has some legal significance, I suppose it would be defined as "compelling an act by force or threat."

Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, the problem with marketplace responses -- even if they worked perfectly -- is that they tend to work slowly.

Slower than government responses? You are obviously unfamiliar with the processing times typical for the FDA.

Two situations:
1. FDA inspector visits meatpacking plant, finds unsanitary conditions, shuts down the plant, forces the plant to destroy tainted meat. Speed of response: pre-emptive. Cost in human lives: zero.
2. In a libertarian society (where there is no FDA), meatpacking plant operates in unsanitary conditions, sells tainted meat to consumers. Dozens die as a result. As news of the deaths spreads, the plant gets a bad reputation in the marketplace for selling tainted meat and goes out of business. Speed of response: painfully slow (cumulative progress of deaths plus time for news to spread plus time for market to exact its retribution). Cost in human lives: many, but they died reassured in the knowledge that they gave their lives for an economic theory.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:13 am
joefromchicago wrote:
There is, as far as I know, no authoritative legal definition of "coercion," for the simple reason (as I pointed out earlier) that "coercion" is not, by itself, illegal.

A contract isn't a crime either. Nevertheless, the term "contract" has a well defined meaning in a legal context, and I'm certain that there is a standard reference lawyers, judges, and legal scholars use for the definition of legal terms. Every field has such a standard refernce, so what is the legal community's?

Here are two more scenarios.

3. In a libertarian society, several organizations of consumer advocates, competing for consumers who trust them enough to buy their magazine, inspect meat packing plants. Plant owners play along because they know that noncooperation immediately would immediately ruin their reputation. If meat turns out to be tainted, the plant goes bankrupt. If not, it doesn't. Cost in human lives: zero, because the expectation of bankruptcy keeps meat plant owners honest in the first place.

4. In today's America, someone invents a helpful, but inssuficiently tested medication. If an FDA official approves the medication too early and somebody dies of it five years later, his carreer is over. If he approves it too late, people die because medication that would save their lives stays off the market. But it won't cause any problems for the official because the causality cannot be proven. As a result, the FDA is notoriously slow to approve new drugs.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
A contract isn't a crime either. Nevertheless, the term "contract" has a well defined meaning in a legal context, and I'm certain that there is a standard reference lawyers, judges, and legal scholars use for the definition of legal terms. Every field has such a standard refernce, so what is the legal community's?

This is the last statement I will make on this point:

You originally posted a definition of "coercion" as, in part, "the unlawful act of compelling a person to do, or to abstain from doing, something by depriving him of the exercise of his free will, particularly by use or threat of physical or moral force." That, I maintain, is false: "coercion," by itself, is not unlawful.

In the United States, there is no authoritative standard reference for legal terms. Some are highly regarded (e.g. Black's Law Dictionary), but none are definitive. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Law definition makes no mention of illegality; I strongly suspect that other legal dictionaries would have similar definitions..

You have thoroughly worn out my patience regarding this trivial matter, Thomas. I have sufficiently explained myself; I will say no more.

Thomas wrote:
Here are two more scenarios.

3. In a libertarian society, several organizations of consumer advocates, competing for consumers who trust them enough to buy their magazine, inspect meat packing plants. Plant owners play along because they know that noncooperation immediately would immediately ruin their reputation. If meat turns out to be tainted, the plant goes bankrupt. If not, it doesn't. Cost in human lives: zero, because the expectation of bankruptcy keeps meat plant owners honest in the first place.

This scenario, of course, depends upon the plant owner being both rational and, in a sense, well-intentioned. Once again, Thomas, I note that you are much more optimistic regarding human nature than I am.

Thomas wrote:
4. In today's America, someone invents a helpful, but inssuficiently tested medication. If an FDA official approves the medication too early and somebody dies of it five years later, his carreer is over. If he approves it too late, people die because medication that would save their lives stays off the market. But it won't cause any problems for the official because the causality cannot be proven. As a result, the FDA is notoriously slow to approve new drugs.

Not necessarily. Some drugs have been approved with relative dispatch (e.g. AZT and some other AIDS drugs). And it should be remembered that, if the FDA has been slow to approve beneficial drugs, it has also been slow to approve harmful ones as well (e.g. Thalidomide).
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:14 pm
LRR Hood.

You wonder about people who trust government to do a just and fair job in any situation.

Did you sleep well last night knowing that police and firemen were on duty in case something untoward happened? Did you get up and brush your teeth knowing that the water was pure? Did did you drive to work knowing the roads would be passable?
Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:37 pm
A few years ago, We spent a social evening with a
senior fellow at a major think tank. His mantra for the evening was "all government is evil." Everything could and should be done without government.

Examples abounded. No zoning laws. What if someone decides to build a slaughter house across the street from your house? No problem. The investors in the slaughter house wouldn't want to pay for expensive property. What if someone decided it would build it in a very poor neighborhood? His answerr to this and dozens of other situations. 'Nothing's perfect."

A chemical plant is releasing deadly and crippling pollution which has been verified as cripping and even fatal to children. The Libertarian answer? The public will find out about it and and not buy their product. In the mean time, in the name of the market place, the son and the Holy Ghost the kids will just have to tough it out, or perhaps, less graciously, just die.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:38 pm
A few years ago, We spent a social evening with a
senior fellow of a major conservative think tank. His mantra for the evening was "all government is evil." Everything could and should be done without government.

Examples abounded. No zoning laws. What if someone decides to build a slaughter house across the street from your house? No problem. The investors in the slaughter house wouldn't want to pay for expensive property. What if someone decided it would build it in a very poor neighborhood? His answerr to this and dozens of other situations. 'Nothing's perfect."

A chemical plant is releasing deadly and crippling pollution which has been verified as cripping and even fatal to children. The Libertarian answer? The public will find out about it and and not buy their product. In the mean time, in the name of the market place, the son and the Holy Ghost the kids will just have to tough it out, or perhaps, less graciously, just die.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:15 am
joefromchicago wrote:
This scenario, of course, depends upon the plant owner being both rational and, in a sense, well-intentioned.

Sure, but the same is true under current institutions, in fact under any set of institutions that has ever existed. A sufficiently evil butcher will always be able to poison you. Private or public, no enforcement mechanism in the world makes this impossible, nor should it. It only needs to make the displeasure the butcher expects from punishment greater than the pleasure the butcher expects from poisoning you.

joefromchicago wrote:
Once again, Thomas, I note that you are much more optimistic regarding human nature than I am.

And once again, Joe, you are missing the point. I am either less optimistic than you about human nature organized through political transactions, or more optimistic than you about human nature organized through private transactions, or a combination of both. Politicians are just as human as merchants are, so our opinions of human nature per se have nothing to do with the difference in our conclusions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:25 am
billy falcon wrote:
Did you sleep well last night knowing that police and firemen were on duty in case something untoward happened? Did you get up and brush your teeth knowing that the water was pure? Did did you drive to work knowing the roads would be passable?

I can't answer for LRR Hood, but I did sleep well last night. Thanks for asking. But firemen can be volunteers organized in private non-profits, as they frequently are in Germany. Our houses don't burn down any more often than yours do. Water works can be private companies, and in France they are. French tap water isn't any worse than American tap water. Some libertarians argue that even police can be a private agency, and point out historical precedences such as 17th century England, when law making was public but law enforcement was private.

But while these questions are interesting for finding out how far libertarian conclusions can be pushed, they aren't the first things a libertarian congress or president would privatize right now. At present, government expenses in America are dominated by Social Security, defense, interest on the debt, and schooling. Therefore the top three priorities would be to privatize Social Security, voucherize the school system, and switch to a non-interventionist foreign policy so the military can be cut down to the minimum size required for defending US borders. I have no solid military expertise to back it up, but I think America can defend its borders for half it's current military budget, which would be roughly the international average as a share of GDP.

billy falcon wrote:
A few years ago, We spent a social evening with a senior fellow at a major think tank. His mantra for the evening was "all government is evil." Everything could and should be done without government.

I know that kind, and I don't see eye to eye with them. Libertarianism is a set of conclusions, and these conclusions can be reached from all kinds of premises with all kinds of arguments, including false premises and flawed arguments. In this regard, libertarianism is just like than any other political agenda. And since it is currently fashionable to be a libertarian, we now have the same surplus of vulgar libertarians as the surplus of vulgar marxists that existed in the 60s.

Among serious and intelligent libertarians, the alternative to zoning laws would build on property rights. For example, every piece of land might come with the right not to have a slaughterhouse built on it within X yards. To build a slaughter house, you would have to buy this right from everyone whose property rights your slaughterhouse would violate. As for pollution, an intelligent libertarian would suggest either effluent taxes or tradeable pollution permits.

The guy you met was an idiot, and he was also a libertarian. But his libertarianism wasn't the cause for his idiocy, and his idiocy wasn't the cause for his libertarianism.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:29 pm
billy falcon wrote:
LRR Hood.

You wonder about people who trust government to do a just and fair job in any situation.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

If I call the police & pizza delivery at the same time, I'll be able to feed whoever the PD sends.

I don't get my water from a gov't controlled water source: I have a well (and am so happy to not have water that tastes like a bleach bottle). The roads I drove on today were DISGRACEFULLY bad--I've seen gravel roads in better condition.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 12:19 am
I'm a small-L libertarian and like Dys, would vote libertarian at the state or local level, but think the stakes are too high at the federal level to put my vote where it effectively goes to the other guy.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:09 am
Thomas wrote:
And once again, Joe, you are missing the point. I am either less optimistic than you about human nature organized through political transactions, or more optimistic than you about human nature organized through private transactions, or a combination of both. Politicians are just as human as merchants are, so our opinions of human nature per se have nothing to do with the difference in our conclusions.

Thomas, you are optimistic because libertarianism rests on an assumption that marketplace decisions are made by rational economic actors. I believe that most governmental systems, in contrast, assume that people are not rational, at least not dependably so. I tend to agree with the latter.

I would also add that your examples assume competition. Your scenario of the virtuous meat packer only works if the meat packer has competitors in the marketplace. On the other hand, as a monopolist or a member of a cartel, we should expect that the meat packer would be largely indifferent to any independent, non-governmental organization's endorsement or censure.

Now, the libertarians with whom I have spoken or whose works I have read tend to have two responses to the problem of monopolies in an unregulated market: either they acknowledge it as a regrettable but necessary concommitant to their theory, or else they deny that monopolies can ever exist. Where do you stand on that, Thomas?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:14 am
billy falcon: Pace Thomas, I think what you describe is not an extreme position among libertarians. Rather, I think it is reflective of the mainstream of libertarian thought, at least in this country.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 12:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas, you are optimistic because libertarianism rests on an assumption that marketplace decisions are made by rational economic actors. I believe that most governmental systems, in contrast, assume that people are not rational, at least not dependably so. I tend to agree with the latter.

I agree with your premise that you can't depend on humans being rational. But I still disagree with your conclusion because irrationality cuts both ways in two dimensions. First off, in any given situation, there is only one rational thing to do (or very few things). But there are infinitely many ways of acting irrationally. Therefore, to improve on the rationality assumption, it is not enough to argue that people are never strictly rational. You also have to argue that they are predictably irrational in a consistent enough way to change your conclusions about how a state should be organized. So far I haven't seen anyone making this case in a way that came close to convincing me.

To put it another way: a priori, for every meatpacker who is irrationally evil, there's a meatpacker who is irrationally altruistic and provides better meat than he would rationally do. Therefore, if you predict that people will behave rationally, you will be wrong, but not as wrong as when you predict any particular irrational behavior. Also, the law of great numbers assures that rationallity tends to add up, but irrationality tends to cancel out in the aggregate that is human society. For an extended version of this argument, see the introduction of David Friedman's textbook on Price Theory. (Section "Why Economics might work")

The second way in which irrationality cuts both ways is because governors, judges and congressmen in the political system are just as irrational as meatpackers on the marketplace. Why does that compromise your trust in markets more than your trust in politics?

joefromchicago wrote:
either they acknowledge it as a regrettable but necessary concommitant to their theory, or else they deny that monopolies can ever exist. Where do you stand on that, Thomas?

I don't deny that monopolies exist and that they are a problem. But I also don't think antitrust legislation improved on things, for several reasons. 1) Some degree of monopoly power is often the price we pay for division of labor, which is a good thing. 2) Government can bust monopolies, but it also grants a lot of monopolies. 3) Anti-trust legislation has turned out to have so many adverse side effects that their benefits may not be worth the damage they do.

For a broader exposition of points 1-3, I recommend "The concise Encyclopedia of Economics", in particular their articles on Monopoly and Anti-Trust. If you don't want to trust a Web page, one widely cited reference is Richard Posner: "Antitrust Law". Posner certainly isn't all-knowing, but he did co-invent the academic field we are talking about, which is commonly referred to as "Law and Economics".

Finally, there's a point 4): Government itself is a monopoloy, and suffers exactly the same problems as all the other ones. If monopolies in the market are the problem, I don't see how a monopoly in politics is the solution. Again, I'm not denying that markets are imperfect. I am rejecting your implicit claim that governments are any less imperfect.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:35 pm
Thomas wrote:
I agree with your premise that you can't depend on humans being rational. But I still disagree with your conclusion because irrationality cuts both ways in two dimensions. First off, in any given situation, there is only one rational thing to do (or very few things). But there are infinitely many ways of acting irrationally. Therefore, to improve on the rationality assumption, it is not enough to argue that people are never strictly rational. You also have to argue that they are predictably irrational in a consistent enough way to change your conclusions about how a state should be organized. So far I haven't seen anyone making this case in a way that came close to convincing me.

Well, I've never argued that people are never strictly rational. Rather, I would contend that people are irrational far more often than is anticipated by libertarians. Likewise, I don't believe that one needs to argue that people are predictably irrational in order to change one's conclusions about how a state should be organized. That would be like saying that the only way one could argue for the creation of a fire department would be if fires broke out in a predictable fashion.

Thomas wrote:
To put it another way: a priori, for every meatpacker who is irrationally evil, there's a meatpacker who is irrationally altruistic and provides better meat than he would rationally do.

That's an absolutely baseless assumption.

Thomas wrote:
Therefore, if you predict that people will behave rationally, you will be wrong, but not as wrong as when you predict any particular irrational behavior. Also, the law of great numbers assures that rationallity tends to add up, but irrationality tends to cancel out in the aggregate that is human society. For an extended version of this argument, see the introduction of David Friedman's textbook on Price Theory. (Section "Why Economics might work")

You presume a bell-curve distribution of rationality. I see no reason to accept that.

Thomas wrote:
The second way in which irrationality cuts both ways is because governors, judges and congressmen in the political system are just as irrational as meatpackers on the marketplace. Why does that compromise your trust in markets more than your trust in politics?

Because citizens have rights as against the government in a democracy, whereas they have no such rights as against meatpackers in an unregulated marketplace.

Thomas wrote:
I don't deny that monopolies exist and that they are a problem. But I also don't think antitrust legislation improved on things, for several reasons. 1) Some degree of monopoly power is often the price we pay for division of labor, which is a good thing. 2) Government can bust monopolies, but it also grants a lot of monopolies. 3) Anti-trust legislation has turned out to have so many adverse side effects that their benefits may not be worth the damage they do.

That may very well be true, Thomas, but that's irrelevant to the discussion: we're not talking about the failure to regulate monopolies in a regulated market, we're talking about the effect of monopolies in an unregulated market.

Thomas wrote:
For a broader exposition of points 1-3, I recommend "The concise Encyclopedia of Economics", in particular their articles on Monopoly and Anti-Trust. If you don't want to trust a Web page, one widely cited reference is Richard Posner: "Antitrust Law". Posner certainly isn't all-knowing, but he did co-invent the academic field we are talking about, which is commonly referred to as "Law and Economics".

I have a lot of problems with Posner's L&E jurisprudence, so I'm reluctant to give him much credence when it comes to antitrust regulation.

Thomas wrote:
Finally, there's a point 4): Government itself is a monopoloy, and suffers exactly the same problems as all the other ones. If monopolies in the market are the problem, I don't see how a monopoly in politics is the solution. Again, I'm not denying that markets are imperfect. I am rejecting your implicit claim that governments are any less imperfect.

Government is indeed a monopoly, but with one important difference: citizens have rights as against the government. Apart from contractual rights, what rights would a citizen in a libertarian society have as against a monopolist?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:38 pm
Joe, I just wanted to thank you for a good job in this discussion. It's been very interesting.
0 Replies