Libertarian Party

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:58 pm
This year? nimh, it's not just this year.

The little l versus big L has been going of for a long time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes. The Libertarian choice for president is rather indicative that either 1) they couldn't find a good candidate this year or 2) the fringe was in control of the convention and platform this year.

Apparently it was more a question of the two main favourites in the race, having grown increasingly inimical to each other, cancelling each other out at the last moment, opening the way for a marginal third candidate to scoop the nomination. Its really an interesting article, the one I linked in (though for me mostly in a kind of anthropological way) - its got all the details.

Foxfyre wrote:
Dude? You call a southern belle "Dude"?

LOL! Oops ... happened automatically, that Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:07 pm
Craven, huh? I think you're mixing up posts and points ...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:09 pm
Nah, sorry. The first question was just a rhetorical comment on Foxfyre's "this year" and the rest is a comment to you.

It's not like the party became wacky just this year, libertarians have been disowning the Libertarian party for a long time.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:17 pm
Nimh is probably right about the infighting canceling out the most viable candidates though. That's pretty much how John Kerry got the Democrat nomination I think--the Democrats certainly have viable people who would have made more attractive candidates. And that has certainly happened to the GOP in years past.

It isn't so much disowning the Libertarian Party, Craven, as it is putting so squirrley a platform out there that they fail to solidify their base. I think maybe the majority of Americans are libertarian at heart. I sure don't feel part of a minority in that.

I don't support some of the GOP platform either, but it has fewer items of major importance that I cannot support than does the Libertarian platform. I think sooner or later, reasonable people will recapture the Libertarian Party and, with the right marketing, it can actually become a viable Third Party.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:26 pm
What I'm saying Foxfyre is that I don't think the Libertarian Party ever really represented libertarians well and has nearly always been a cartoonish distortion of libertarianism.

It's not just their nominee, if you read their statment of principles you'll probably find it too extreme for yourself and the majority group you perceive.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:50 pm
LOL, isn't that what I said though less succinctly?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:52 pm
Not really, you pretty much that the fringe got control of the party this year and I'm saying the party has always been the fringe.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:05 pm
Oh okay. You may be right, though I think in some years the party has had much more appeal to the more sensible than it has had laely.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:20 pm
Yeah, like on "Double Digit Day". Thing is, I thought they were about as wacky even then, but because of the political landscape at the time had more appeal.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:37 am
Uhm, after reading that article I have to go with Fox here. They may always have been wacky, but this year's candidate really is quite Out There even to Libertarian standards.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:26 pm
I've never disagreed with that. I have, however, maintained that they have always been wacky and the party wackiness is not new.
0 Replies