Libertarian Party

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:49 pm
I'm wondering how many people are aware of what the libertarian party supports. Does anyone here plan on voting libertarian this year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,558 • Replies: 191
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:51 pm
I have voted Libertarian party on specfic issue local candidates but would not consider doing so on national levels.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:27 pm
L.R.R.Hood- I agree with dys. I certainly know what they stand for, and I have voted for some Libertarians locally.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:29 pm
I usually vote libertarian just to keep their numbers up (They're still miniscule). Admittedly it's much like voting for Nader. The libertarian party is closer to what the republican party was 60 years ago than any other. That is where my heart really lies. Bob Taft, where are you?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:57 pm
Isn't the basic idea behind Libertarianism that the government's only function should be one of protection from other countries? Where do they stand on killing all lawyers? Whoever is for that, I'd be willing to listen to.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:15 pm
That's not a bad idea, kickycan.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:25 pm
as I understand it the two primary demographics of Libertarian membership are bartenders and lawyers.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 07:54 am
Not true, dyslexia.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
Libertarian here, who wouldn't vote for Bush or Kerry on a bet.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:15 pm
Welcome! So you're voting libertarian then?
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:45 pm
If I bother to vote, yes. I probably won't bother, unless there are ballot questions I care about.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:14 pm
I'll be voting libertarin. Its hard, but I think people should vote where their heart is.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:00 pm
I know what the libertarian party's agenda is, and I support it. I can't vote for it because I'm a citizen of Germany, but I do vote for its (more moderate) German equivalent, the Free Democratic Party (FDP).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:36 pm
Re: Libertarian Party
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
I'm wondering how many people are aware of what the libertarian party supports. Does anyone here plan on voting libertarian this year?

I'm aware of what the Libertarians stand for: it's a combination of naive sociology, intellectually bankrupt economics, and callous indifference to the less fortunate. Come to think of it, that describes the Bush administration as well; the Libertarians, however, are all that and half-baked anarchists to boot.

I don't think I'll be voting for them this year.

Thomas: From what I know, I wouldn't describe the FDP as "libertarian." They're more like Reagan Republicans.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:08 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas: From what I know, I wouldn't describe the FDP as "libertarian." They're more like Reagan Republicans.

I wouldn't say that. All the Christian undertones are missing, and they are also much more liberal on legalizing (some) drugs, gay marriage, and other matters of civil liberty. Then again, I wouldn't say that the Bush administration is libertarian on these matters either.

But if your point about Reagan is that he was more moderate than Bush, I agree with you. The FDP is indeed more moderate than the American Libertarians. We have proportionate representation, so they must expect to put government action where their mouth is some day. This curbs radicalism.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
joefromchicago wrote:
L.R.R.Hood wrote:

I'm aware of what the Libertarians stand for: it's a combination of naive sociology, intellectually bankrupt economics, and callous indifference to the less fortunate. Come to think of it, that describes the Bush administration as well; the Libertarians, however, are all that and half-baked anarchists to boot.

I don't think I'll be voting for them this year.

I disagree. Just for one example, if I had more money (if I didn't have to pay so much in taxes) I'd donate more to charities. I'm not heartless, I'm not an anarchist, I am not niave about psychology OR sociology. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:33 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
I disagree. Just for one example, if I had more money (if I didn't have to pay so much in taxes) I'd donate more to charities.

You are indeed a credit to your species, Hood, and no doubt you sincerely believe you'd be more charitable if only you had more disposable income. But, of course, in a truly Libertarian society, there would probably be no governmental supervision of charities, so you'd never be quite sure if your contributions would be going to worthy causes or into the pockets of some unscrupulous huckster. Nevertheless, I'm sure you'd maintain your elevated level of charitable giving even in the face of this kind of uncertainty.

L.R.R.Hood wrote:
I'm not heartless, I'm not an anarchist, I am not niave about psychology OR sociology. Smile

And yet it appears you remain naive about the full ramifications of Libertarianism.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
I embrace the goals of the libertarians more than any other party, but I think they can get a little extremist. I can understand the national gov't regulating national things - such as interstate highways, public education, and coast gaurd. I just think they should get their asses out of social programs and business intervention.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm
Portal Star wrote:
I just think they should get their asses out of social programs and business intervention.

I fully agree with that. Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:17 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
But, of course, in a truly Libertarian society, there would probably be no governmental supervision of charities, so you'd never be quite sure if your contributions would be going to worthy causes or into the pockets of some unscrupulous huckster.

I smell a fallacy. You appear to argue that if X isn't done by government, X doesn't get done. The reality is that there are quite a few watchdog organizations -- Consumer report, Amnesty International, and others -- who seem to do a reasonably good job. I don't see any good reasons why charity watchdogs have to be employed by the government to do their job. What, in your opinion, would be obviously inferior about a "Charity International" or a "Charity Report"?

joefromchicago wrote:
And yet it appears you remain naive about the full ramifications of Libertarianism.

I have no trouble with your earlier point that the LP is pretty far out. But if you widen your claim to be about libertarianism in general, I wonder if it isn't you who are naive about the ramifications of having the government run things. Of course, we would both need to get more specific to argue that out.
0 Replies