Libertarian Party

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:52 am
billy falcon wrote:
This insistence that government be perfect and all other non-governmental efforts that fail are dismissed with "nothiing's perfect." It's not good reasoning.

I don't know where you got the impression that libertarians insist that government be perfect. You sure didn't get it from reading the posts of the libertarians in this thread. May I suggest that you try to understand an ideology before rejecting it? It may well be worth it for you.

billy falcon wrote:
In case of fire, I'd rather be able to call 911, than try to recruit the neighbors.

I don't know about America, but in Germany, your 911 call may well be routed to the Freiwillige Feuerwehr (voluntary fire fighters), which operate as non-profits. Government fire fighters and neighbors aren't the only available alternatives.

Centroles wrote:
Where do libertarians stand on law suit caps?

It depends on which libertarian you ask, but the general tendency is to replace government regulations with strict liability laws. Companies who fear the risk of being bankrupted by a huge damage claim can buy insurance against liability lawsuits. Under this system, the insurance companies have an incentive either to demand high premiums or to require that you follow good safety practices. Competition among insurances would keep regulations reasonable, and competition among policy buyers would ensure an adequate level of safety precautions.

Under this system, there would be no caps on law suits, but an offsetting benefit in reduced government regulations which, in most libertarians' opinion, is worth it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
Centroles wrote:
Where do libertarians stand on law suit caps?

I could find no mention of lawsuit caps in the Libertarian Party Platform. The only clue regarding the party's position on this issue is this: "We oppose all "no-fault" insurance laws, which deprive the victim of the right to recover damages from those responsible in the case of injury." The party has voiced its opposition to medical malpractice damage caps, so I'd guess that the party would also oppose damage caps in general.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:16 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I find this debate (or discussion) fascinating, in part because I agree with most of the basic points each of you make, and do so much more than I see a need to take sides on the (to me, relatively much smaller) points over which you contest.

Markets, though more effective than anything else yet devised, are undoubtedly imperfect. Their history is replete with instances of human folly in which even readily available and significant information concerning economic transactions was simply ignored by otherwise proficient practicioners in the marketplace (from tulip bulbs to internet start-ups). There are undoubtedly some (perhaps very few) gaps between the central tendencies of human behavior and the rational actions required of participants in an ideal market - at least in some instances, charity or otherwise. Moreover, even in the broader areas of undisputed applicability of market mechanisms, human behavior very often does deviate from its central tendencies - the distributions are not particularly compact. Markets work very well for most things - far better than any alternative I know of - however they are not perfect. Their imperfections, though small, can be particularly unkind to losers, and lead to large, chaotic excursions in broad outcomes.

Thomas' points about government - merely collections of human beings, no better, wiser or worse than those they govern - are undoubtedly correct. Moreover he is right in his implicit view that governments do not necessarily respond to the rational feedback forces markets generate so well. I'll go further. Government organs and bureaucracies value preservation of their own authority and primacy above all other factors. Absent some external action (perhaps the democratic intervention of a legislature) they will continue to do what they do, long after any need or benefit from their actions disappears. Moreover the political and administrative decision-making of government at all levels is subject to the intervention and manipulation of forces that are merely well-connected and attentive (as opposed to productive and generally beneficial), and often for ends that defy the intended purpose. In most government directed programs, the unintended side effects eventually dominate the intended primary ones. Examples of all this are legion.

What to do? A common dilemma. We simply place one grossly imperfect system (government) properly in opposition to another slightly imperfect one (markets). The virtue of the particular combination is not so much a result of the perfection of its parts, as it is the absence of many common defects between them. The price we pay is the limitation of some of the optimizations markets can produce. The benefit is a floor on the losses of market losers and, hopefully, the elimination of most of the chaotic excursions to which real markets can be subject. Like Thomas, I generally prefer market solutions to government ones if they can work.

We have likely all had the experience in the management of organizations of putting talented, but imperfect people in counterpose with each other to achieve an end or a reliable performance that neither could deliver alone. I have similarly learned to always put people around me who will limit my own weaknesses and defects. It is te same with markets and government. Additionally Thomas has already made the point that, even within government, it is the internal friction and competition between its parts that is the usual source of its best product. Government is not the solution - markets are generally the solution: governments are merely the remedy for the defects of the markets.

I guess I'm not quite a Libertarian, but I would like to come as close to it as possible, recognizing that some counterpoint will always be needed.

Finally, I an suspicious of all theories - even those I 'accept'. I am uncomfortable having any aspect of my life governed by a person or group that is certain it is correct.

Fine post geroge.

I agree, the government is neccesary for certain functions that are critical, don't yield much profit or require cooperation. And the government does need to regulate the marketplace and prevent abuse.

The other functions should be replaced with a market place type system if possible.

I would be very interested to hear where you would stand on this...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=657610#657610

It's an attempt to create a market place type system for social programs.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:32 am
I'm noticing that I neglected to reply to Joe's latest response to me. Sorry about that.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
What, under your definition, would be the efficient solution, if it's not access to drugs which are likely to help and unlikely to hurt?

I would imagine that, for a libertarian, an efficient solution would be for a drug manufacturer to introduce pharmaceuticals into the marketplace as soon as it satisfied itself that the drug was safe.

More precisely, it would introduce them as soon as it satisfied itself that the drug would be profitable, given expected profits from future sales and expected losses from future liability lawsuits. Is that still consistent with your view?

joefromchicago wrote:
Any penalties imposed on the company for introducing an unsafe drug into the market would then be imposed by the market, not the government.

Correct. And why, in your opinion, would that behavior not give customers access to drugs which are likely to help and unlikely to hurt?

joefromchicago wrote:
It may, indeed, be an insignificant factor in general, but that is small consolation for the party in an individual case where the judge has sold out to the party's opponent.
[...]
Again, the average efficiency of the solution is hardly satisfactory in those instances where the people are not being rational economic actors.

I agree, but small number problems of this kind can be an argument against government solutions just like they can be an argument against market solutions. Corrupt judges -- admittedly not that many -- have sold out to interested parties under the government system. According to some historians, this problem played an important role in the emergence of vigilante justice in San Francisco. Irrationality has led state and federal governments to violate pretty much every right in the Bill of Rights at some point in time. To make a case that human irrationality and corruption invalidates market solutions, you need to make a case that these weaknesses are less of a problem in government than in the market. It is not enough to show that they exist in the market at all.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Only because you have assumed the property rights to be ill-defined.

Well, I imagine that I defined those property rights as concretely as would be necessary to determine a course of action for a rational economic actor. What else was necessary to complete the hypothetical?

Apparently I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean "ill defined" in the sense of "too ambiguous", but in the sense of "misconstructed". If you have conflicting claims on the same kind of land, you have a problem under any political system. Hence, the observation that you run into problems is an argument against misconstructed property rights, not an argument against libertarian solutions. I hear that such conflicts arose quite frequently in early American history, even in the presence of a government. They frequently arise in Brazil today.

More to the point, I am trying to defend the claim that I can describe a society with a vastly smaller government than today's which would work, and which would arguably be more attractive than today's. I have no doubt that you can describe a society with a vastly smaller government which sucks, but this doesn't invalidate my claim at all.

joefromchicago wrote:
Currently, arbitration only works in three situations: (1) where the parties have already contractually obligated themselves to arbitrate disputes; (2) where there is the possibility of a compromise price; or (3) where the law compels the parties to enter into binding arbitration. In my hypothetical, neither the first nor the second case applies, and in a libertarian society I would presume that the third would likewise not apply.

You forgot (4) when the only alternative to arbitration is open violence, and the parties find the former less unpleasant than the latter. Arguably this is almost always the case.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:27 pm
Once more into the thread that would not die.

Thomas wrote:
More precisely, it would introduce them as soon as it satisfied itself that the drug would be profitable, given expected profits from future sales and expected losses from future liability lawsuits. Is that still consistent with your view?

Yes. That was the same sort of calculus that Ford Motor Co. used when it decided to continue selling Pintos, despite the car's deadly engineering flaws.

Thomas wrote:
Correct. And why, in your opinion, would that behavior not give customers access to drugs which are likely to help and unlikely to hurt?

Because the company, in effect, acts as its own judge in determining what is best not only for the consumer but for its own bottom line. That is an obvious conflict of interest. To see the results of such a conflict, click on the link above.

Thomas wrote:
I agree, but small number problems of this kind can be an argument against government solutions just like they can be an argument against market solutions. Corrupt judges -- admittedly not that many -- have sold out to interested parties under the government system. Irrationality has led governments to violate pretty much every right in the Bill of Rights at some point in time. To make a case that human irrationality and corruption invalidates market solutions, you need to make a case that they are less of a problem in government than in the market. It is not enough to show that they exist in the market at all.

That's a fair criticism. My point has not been that corruption is non-existent in government -- far from it. Rather, my point is that, in an envisaged libertarian society, there do not exist the kinds of structural safeguards against corruption that exist in a non-libertarian democracy. Instead, the "system" (i.e. the market) is supposed to militate against corruption -- not by any laws or regulations, but through a sort of "invisible hand" mechanism. But the libertarian system only works because it is presumed that people, on the whole, can be expected to act in their own best interests (otherwise, people would not be restrained by the market). That, I believe, is an unwarranted assumption -- hence my continued references to the "optimism" of the libertarians.

Thomas wrote:
Apparently I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean "ill defined" in the sense of "too ambiguous", but in the sense of "misconstructed". If you have conflicting claims on the same kind of land, you have a problem under any political system. This, the observation that you run into problems is an argument against misconstructed property rights, not an argument against libertarian solutions. I hear that such conflicts arose quite frequently in early American history, even in the presence of a government.

Quite true, but then a non-libertarian democracy has a mechanism in place to determine rights-conflicts: it's called "the government." Now, I'll grant that a libertarian society would also have something akin to a "government," but there is ample reason to believe that it would not be empowered to make the same kinds of decisions regarding rights-conflicts that I had posited in my hypothetical regarding the slaughterhouse. The problem, then, is not misconstructed rights, but in conflicting rights where there is no authority to resolve those conflicts.

Thomas wrote:
More to the point, I am trying to defend the claim that I can describe a society with a vastly smaller government than today's that would work, and that would arguably be more attractive than today's. I have no doubt that you can describe a society with a vastly smaller government that sucks, but that doesn't invalidate my claim at all.

Invalidate? No, my examples certainly don't do that, and I've never claimed that they do. But such examples, I would imagine, call into question the viability of a libertarian solution.

Thomas wrote:
You forgot (4) when arbitration, however unpleasant, is still less unpleasant to open violence -- which is almost always the case.

It is almost always the case only for the weaker party. As Thucydides explained: the strong do what they will, the weak do what they must.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:18 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
That was the same sort of calculus that Ford Motor Co. used when it decided to continue selling Pintos, despite the car's deadly engineering flaws.

How many people actually died as a result of that flaw? Your link doesn't seem to know, which leaves open the possibility that it was mostly a theoretical scare. Do you have concrete information on Pinto casualties?

joefromchicago wrote:
Because the company, in effect, acts as its own judge in determining what is best not only for the consumer but for its own bottom line. That is an obvious conflict of interest.

It's only a conflict of interest if the risk of being wrong isn't priced in via the price system and tort law. If the risk is priced in, it is in the self interest of the producer to consider the consumer's interest adequately.

joefromchicago wrote:
Rather, my point is that, in an envisaged libertarian society, there do not exist the kinds of structural safeguards against corruption that exist in a non-libertarian democracy. Instead, the "system" (i.e. the market) is supposed to militate against corruption -- not by any laws or regulations, but through a sort of "invisible hand" mechanism.

Let me give you an example of a body of law where this "invisible hand" mechanism proved perfectly adequate. You mentioned it yourself a couple of posts ago: The Lex Mercatoria, also known as the Law Merchant. Designed to regulate the interactions between merchants in different countries, this law emerged during the Middle Ages, independent of state institutions, without a government putting people to jail for violating it. The enforcement mechanism was entirely private, through the reputation of the merchants involved. If structural safegards are so important, why did the Lex Mercatoria work? Do you really believe that merchants are that much more rational than non-merchants? Based on the (very small) sample of merchants I know, I don't think they are.

joefromchicago wrote:
Now, I'll grant that a libertarian society would also have something akin to a "government," but there is ample reason to believe that it would not be empowered to make the same kinds of decisions regarding rights-conflicts that I had posited in my hypothetical regarding the slaughterhouse. The problem, then, is not misconstructed rights, but in conflicting rights where there is no authority to resolve those conflicts.

Well, everybody can try to resolve conflicts, but (under anarcho capitalism, which is a much more extreme form of libertarianism than I'm actually advocating) the conflict resolver wouldn't have the means of enforcing his verdict. Note that there is a precedent for this in 18th century England, where courts were run by the state, but (criminal) law enforcement was private. This system proved workable. Overall, 18th century England was probably the most attractive society of its time.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You forgot (4) when arbitration, however unpleasant, is still less unpleasant to open violence -- which is almost always the case.

It is almost always the case only for the weaker party. As Thucydides explained: the strong do what they will, the weak do what they must.

That's a vaild point, but as the history of the current Bush administration suggests, ruthless millionaires who want to stomp on other people's rights can quite easily do this by co-opting government. See Guantanamo Bay, Jose Padilla, federal agencies headed by lobbyists of the very industries they're supposed to regulate, et multae cetera. This is in part an artifact of the Bush presidency, but not entirely; things like this have been around at least as long as railroad regulation and the sad history of the ICC. So like many of your arguments, this one cuts both ways.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
That was the same sort of calculus that Ford Motor Co. used when it decided to continue selling Pintos, despite the car's deadly engineering flaws.

How many people actually died as a result of that flaw? Your link doesn't seem to know, which leaves open the possibility that it was mostly a theoretical scare. Do you have concrete information on Pinto casualties?

The number of casualties was not the point. The decision to disregard the danger by Ford was. But if you really want the red-herring data read about the Grimshaw v Ford case.

Note: it did not result in death but rather burns.

The Center for Auto Safety petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to force a recall based on three deaths and several other injuries (I don't know the details on them).

Edit: Incidentally I've heard of estimates as high as 900 deaths and others around 500.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
My personal 'favourite' in the area of corporations weighing profit against risk is the Ford/Firestone tire issue. Interestingly enough, my first hit on Grimshaw v Ford also referenced the more recent case.

Rejecting safety designs costing between only $1.80 and $15.30 per Pinto, Ford had calculated the damages it would likely pay in wrongful death and injury cases and pocketed the difference.

and 20 years later ...

US lawyers see Venezuela as clear evidence Ford and Firestone had knowledge of the defects months before they took action.

My employer at the time of the Firestone case gave all employees with the Explorer/Firestone tire combo loans so that they could replace the tires sooner rather than later. They didn't think it was safe to wait for the recall notices.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:11 pm
That was the other case I was thinking of. The ole roll-over problem. I just saw your links and it appears that my memory was way off. There was a death in that case.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:43 pm
The tire crapfest was 1% Ford, 4% Firestone, & 95% stupid drivers. It was overblown by a factor of several thousand.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 02:26 am
Thanks for the pointers, Craven and ehBeth.

From my second Google hit:
Quote:
Most engineers should be familiar with the "Pinto" case, correctly known as Grimshaw vs. Ford Motor Company, involving a fire resulting from a Pinto automobile being struck from the rear by another car. During the discovery phase of the lawsuit, a memorandum within the Ford Motor Company surfaced, in which Ford's play-off between the cost of alternative fuel tank design and the safety of the existing design was described. On the cost side of the 'equation', Ford developed a cost per unit of about $11 for an improved gas tank safety item to be used on 12.5 million cars and trucks, for a total cost to Ford of about $137 million.

On the benefit side of the 'equation', Ford estimated the savings of approximately 180 lives (at $200,000 each) and the elimination of 180 burn injuries (at $67,000 each) for a total of $49.5 million benefit. Thus the cost of the modification outweighed the benefits; so Ford did not undertake the improved tank design. (Product Liability Digest, March 1978). That analysis apparently represented the automobile manufacturer's concept of a play-off between cost and safety.

From my point of view, Ford's kind of analysis was adequate, but the parameters they used in their analysis reflected either ruthlessness or incompetence. The courts were right to club them on the head for it.

Let me defend the analysis first: On the face of it, it seems intuitively plausible that human lives should always be saved at all cost. But none of us behaves that way in our daily lives. Take me for example: As a pre-diabetic with severe overweight, I pay for every cone of ice cream I eat with a (small) loss of life expectancy. Every time I see a friend across the street, I take a (small) risk of being run over by a car in order to say hello to him. That's not because I'm such an extremely gluttonous person or such an extremely good friend. We all trade (small portions of) our lives for (bigger portions of) lesser goods all the time. It would be naive and hypocritical if we expected companies to act otherwise.

So how much are our lives worth to us? The standard answer given by economists is to measure this value by our willingness to pay for safety. By measuring this willingness experimentally, typical values they get are in the range of $5 millions per life. (If you're interested, you can read an article length elaboration of the subject by Steven Landsburg in Slate.) The economists' result is in line with the value implied by the verdicts in Grimshaw vs. Ford Motor Company.

If libertarians are right in applying risk-benefit analysis to real life, Ford should use any design improvement that costs less than $5 million for every life saved, and it should reject improvements that cost more. If you plug this value into the above quoted calculation, low and behold, the safer design suddenly is profitable. The libertarian rule -- build your car as you please, but pay for the consequences at market prices -- does lead to the result which Joe, Craven, ehBeth and I want.

So Ford's sin was not that it used risk-benefit analysis for its design decisions. It was not that it put a price tag on human lives. Its sin was that this price tag was too small by an order of magnitude, as judged by the court, and by consumer's willingness to pay for safety. Because Ford was either incompetent or ruthless, they used a bogus value and reached the wrong conclusion. For this they payed dearly in damages and lost reputation, just as they should.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:06 am
Thomas wrote:
So Ford's sin was not that it used risk-benefit analysis for its design decisions. It was not that it put a price tag on human lives. Its sin was that this price tag was too small by an order of magnitude, as judged by the court, and by consumer's willingness to pay for safety. Because Ford was either incompetent or ruthless, they used a bogus value and reached the wrong conclusion. For this they payed dearly in damages and lost reputation, just as they should.

You refer to "a bogus value". I suggest you consider the possibility of unacceptable values. Ford acted liked the criminal who, hoping to go unpunished, kills for financial gain.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:11 am
Then is that unacceptable in the realm of absolute rationalism? I suppose not. Surely it is sufficient safe guard that some aggrieved party will deem it worthwhile to finance retribution.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:30 am
gozmo wrote:
You refer to "a bogus value". I suggest you consider the possibility of unacceptable values.

I did. I find bogus values unacceptable.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:35 am
Thomas,

I have enjoyed the conversation between you and Joe very much. I admit I favour Joe's views but you argued well. I fear my little pun with "value" and "values" was lost upon you - no matter. It seems to me libertarian economics have been well tried in the past. I think reference to the experience of the UK and the USA will show these experiments failed and rather than being a remedy for public regulation are the ill that regulation has partly eased.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:47 am
Thomas wrote:

I don't, and I haven't followed the other links posted here (sorry). But then I mentioned the Ford case not to emphasize the number of deaths that resulted from its decision to continue producing Pintos, but rather to illustrate the kind of cost-benefit calculus that we should expect companies to make routinely in a libertarian society.

Thomas wrote:
It's only a conflict of interest if the risk of being wrong isn't priced in via the price system and tort law. If the risk is priced in, it is in the self interest of the producer to consider the consumer's interest adequately.

No, it's a conflict of interest because the company sets itself up as the judge of both the public's good and the company's good. Companies have an overriding duty to increase shareholder value, but that is simply not a concern for the public, which places a much higher value on other goods, such as safety. The Ford case nicely illustrates how, in weighing corporate and public goods, a company will assume that the public's good coincides with the company's.

To illustrate my point, and to return to my previous hypothetical: suppose Mr. Butcher, who wants to build his slaughterhouse in the middle of residential neighborhood, conducts a cost-benefit analysis of building the slaughterhouse in that neighborhood (Mr. Butcher's preferred site), or somewhere else, or not at all. On one hand, Mr. Butcher wants to build on that site (for reasons that may or may not be in his own best interests); on the other hand, he takes on the responsibility of gauging the public's interests in having a slaughterhouse in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Clearly, I think, there is a conflict of interest here: Mr. Butcher has an economic incentive to place a low value on the neighbors' interests and a high value on his own. And whether or not his analysis proves to be accurate, that is little consolation for the neighbors who had no input into Mr. Butcher's calculations.

For the libertarian, of course, this may be a good thing. Given the enormous faith that they repose in the workings of the marketplace, it wouldn't shock me to learn that libertarians prefer companies to perform these kinds of calculations rather than a government agency. We can, therefore, assume that such cost-benefit analyses would be a routine feature of a libertarian society. But I am not confident that companies wouldn't put their corporate thumbs on the scales when weighing their interests against those of the public, nor am I particularly eager to put my faith in the good intentions of a Fortune 500 company and its willingness to look out for my best interests.

Thomas wrote:
Let me give you an example of a body of law where this "invisible hand" mechanism proved perfectly adequate. You mentioned it yourself a couple of posts ago: The Lex Mercatoria, also known as the Law Merchant. Designed to regulate the interactions between merchants in different countries, this law emerged during the Middle Ages, independent of state institutions, without a government putting people to jail for violating it. The enforcement mechanism was entirely private, through the reputation of the merchants involved. If structural safegards are so important, why did the Lex Mercatoria work?

The Lex Mercatoria worked, in large part, because it operated in a governmental vacuum and because it benefitted the powerful merchant class. But the real question isn't why the Lex Mercatoria worked, but rather why no one uses it anymore.

Thomas wrote:
Do you really believe that merchants are that much more rational than non-merchants? Based on the (very small) sample of merchants I know, I don't think they are.

I agree: merchants are no more rational, on average, than non-merchants. Indeed, I would suspect that merchants are capable of assessing their own self-interest with as much accuracy as non-merchants. I'm certain that merchants adhered to the Lex Mercatoria as long as they perceived adherence to be in their interests, and they deviated from it when they perceived deviation to be in their interests. Furthermore, in a libertarian society which adopted some sort of regime comparable to the Lex Mercatoria, I would expect the same.

Thomas wrote:
Well, everybody can try to resolve conflicts, but (under anarcho capitalism, which is a much more extreme form of libertarianism than I'm actually advocating) the conflict resolver wouldn't have the means of enforcing his verdict. Note that there is a precedent for this in 18th century England, where courts were run by the state, but (criminal) law enforcement was private. This system proved workable. Overall, 18th century England was probably the most attractive society of its time.

Criminal prosecutions were often done by private individuals, but criminal law enforcement was not, strictly speaking, private. The "hue and cry" relied on private participation, but it was summoned by state officials. Likewise, the hangman was a state employee, not a member of the crime victim's family.

Thomas wrote:
That's a vaild point, but as the history of the current Bush administration suggests, ruthless millionaires who want to stomp on other people's rights can quite easily do this by co-opting government. See Guantanamo Bay, Jose Padilla, federal agencies headed by lobbyists of the very industries they're supposed to regulate, et multae cetera. This is in part an artifact of the Bush presidency, but not entirely; things like this have been around at least as long as railroad regulation and the sad history of the ICC. So like many of your arguments, this one cuts both ways.

I'm not sure how this argument cuts both ways, since it wasn't my argument to begin with. You mentioned that arbitration was preferable to violence, and I simply noted that violence is usually not the preferred alternative for the weaker party; on the other hand, we should expect that, for the stronger party, violence would be preferable, ceteris paribus, to participating in an arbitration that the stronger party expects to lose. Your examples merely show that corruption can exist in a variety of forms in a democratic system -- and I've never argued to the contrary.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:07 am
Thomas wrote:
On the face of it, it seems intuitively plausible that human lives should always be saved at all cost. ...

So how much are our lives worth to us? The standard answer given by economists is to measure this value by our willingness to pay for safety. By measuring this willingness experimentally, typical values they get are in the range of $5 millions per life. ...

During debate over Gore's last minute arsenic-in-drinking-water mandate and Bush's decision to roll it back, I read (digging in my memory) that the EPA generally used a figure of about $2M per statistical life saved as the breakpoint above which a solution was considered too costly to implement. (Gore's arsenic rule came in at many times this threshold.) As Thomas suggested, it seems counter-intuitive to set a price on life, but once you acknowledge that there is some cost that is too great, you must inevitably begin to consider where the threshold lies.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:21 am
Thomas wrote:

From my point of view, Ford's kind of analysis was adequate, but the parameters they used in their analysis reflected either ruthlessness or incompetence. The courts were right to club them on the head for it.

I've no qualm with setting a price on life. Neglecting to do so also puts a price on life, it's just less visible.

I have a qualm with the line of thought that thinks market cforces can do the clubbing. It counts on more public education than I believe is possible.

Quote:
If libertarians are right in applying risk-benefit analysis to real life, Ford should use any design improvement that costs less than $5 million for every life saved, and it should reject improvements that cost more. If you plug this value into the above quoted calculation, low and behold, the safer design suddenly is profitable.

Indeed, one need not go as high as 5 million to show that their calculation had a disconnect with reality.

But there's no reason to assume that unregulated market forces would correct this.

Quote:
The libertarian rule -- build your car as you please, but pay for the consequences at market prices -- does lead to the result which Joe, Craven, ehBeth and I want.

I'm gonna make an appeal to authority insofar as my wishes are concerned. I'm not sure you know what I want.

I want a regulating body to ensure that this is not left to the whimsical nature of market forces.

Ok, that's a bit disingenuous because I do indeed have similar goals in mind to the ones you ascribe to me.

But consider the effect of cross-market forces.

The price of live overseas is often lower than stateside. With only market regulation trans-national exploitation would be profitable.

A utopian libertarian ideal needs only pockets of non-utopia to be flawed.

Quote:
Its sin was that this price tag was too small by an order of magnitude, as judged by the court, and by consumer's willingness to pay for safety.

And herein lies the rub. In some countries, Ford's price on life is too high with only market forces as a check and balance.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
Craven wrote:
I want a regulating body to ensure that this is not left to the whimsical nature of market forces.

Can you describe this "whimsical nature of market forces" for me. I have no idea what you mean by that phrase. Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:48 pm
Try: "volatile nature of market forces".

Perhaps the anthropomorphism of "whimsical" was the problem.
0 Replies