Do you boycott certain businesses?

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Let's face it; the facts are that most of us do not know the political leanings of business owners. We don't bother to check them out before we do business with them. To lambast one business based on the owner's statement is sort of myopic from my POV.

Political point of view, true; however, cultural orientation perhaps? Meaning, I will not go to a German restaurant (they might not want me there anyway), yet I avidly go to a Chinese restaurant or Pizza parlor. I do not go to an Irish pub, since some of the clientele might see me as an "intruder." It might have more to do with where one feels "comfortable," and not receive "looks."

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:28 am
@Foofie,
You have a mental disorder that's called "persecution complex."
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:37 am
@Foofie,
I've been in plenty of Irish pubs at home and abroad, and never had a problem.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
I've been to many Irish pubs outside of Ireland. The last one was in Dresden, Germany. I had an opportunity in Italy last week, but decided to have my beer in Sorrento at Tasso Piazzo at their outside cafe to watch the world go by. Went there twice, because they serve huge, delicious, green olives and peanuts with the beer.

Here's the Irish pub in Sorrento.
http://i48.tinypic.com/mhsrp1.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You have a mental disorder that's called "persecution complex."

I call it "street smarts."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've been in plenty of Irish pubs at home and abroad, and never had a problem.

NYC is not, nor has it historically been, a city where each ethnic group loved all other ethnic groups. It has a "territoriality" that goes back to the 19th century when the newly arrived Irish fought with the existing Anglo-Saxon community; I mean the youths. And then it continued after most of the Anglo-Saxon demographic left NYC's "mean street" neighborhoods. The antagonisms where quite evident between the remaining groups. And today there are antagonisms that play itself out in a less overt hostile manner (thanks to hate crime legislation in NYS); however, it can be felt in the sometimes contemptuous manner of getting out of another's way, only after someone says the perfunctory "excuse me." It often correlates, in my opinion, to public school background, not Parochial School background.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:03 am
@Foofie,
Trying to analyze yourself makes for a poor patient.
Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Trying to analyze yourself makes for a poor patient.

My set of experiences are/were not yours. Nor, do I enjoy your love of travel. Please do not proselytize your lifestyle, since I do not proselytize to you. Even playing field. Keep to your own lifestyle; I'll keep to mine.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:35 am
@Foofie,
You wrote,
Quote:
Please do not proselytize your lifestyle, ....

Where do you get the idea of "proselytize my lifestyle?"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:48 pm
@Foofie,

cicerone imposter wrote:

Let's face it; the facts are that most of us do not know the political leanings of business owners. We don't bother to check them out before we do business with them. To lambast one business based on the owner's statement is sort of myopic from my POV.
Foofie wrote:

Political point of view, true; however, cultural orientation perhaps? Meaning, I will not go to a German restaurant (they might not want me there anyway), yet I avidly go to a Chinese restaurant or Pizza parlor. I do not go to an Irish pub, since some of the clientele might see me as an "intruder."

It might have more to do with where one feels "comfortable,"
and not receive "looks."
Is there any reason
that u 'd be likely to receive "looks" ??

This is not a challenge; just wondering.

David
gungasnake

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:52 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
...I will not go to a German restaurant (they might not want me there anyway), yet I avidly go to a Chinese restaurant...

I assume you've heard the tale of the old China-man who had lunch in a German restaurant (and forty minutes later was hungry for power).....
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:53 pm
@gungasnake,
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Political point of view, true; however, cultural orientation perhaps? Meaning, I will not go to a German restaurant (they might not want me there anyway), yet I avidly go to a Chinese restaurant or Pizza parlor. I do not go to an Irish pub, since some of the clientele might see me as an "intruder."

It might have more to do with where one feels "comfortable,"
and not receive "looks."
Is there any reason
that u 'd be likely to receive "looks" ??

This is not a challenge; just wondering.

David

Since any New Yorker can discern I am a Jewish New Yorker, not having tatoos, and my manner of speech connotes an education, and the way I comport myself. So, there is many a blue-collar New Yorker, in a pub, that would wonder what the "wind blew in." Jewish New Yorkers tend not to inhabit pubs, if they aren't looking to assimilate into the world of New York pubs, in my opinion. I have learned to not go where I am not appreciated.

Oddly, in the service, I was very welcomed in local watering holes, since then with my short sideburns, circa the late '60's, it was obvious I was military, and then I was appreciated. The rest of the country appreciates military.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:15 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
...I will not go to a German restaurant (they might not want me there anyway), yet I avidly go to a Chinese restaurant...

I assume you've heard the tale of the old China-man who had lunch in a German restaurant (and forty minutes later was hungry for power).....

Never heard the joke; however, are you sure it is a joke, and not wisdom?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:00 pm
How does that chicken taste now? Cool

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/4034/chickenrr.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:02 pm
@jcboy,
I think there's a term "chicken little." It must apply here - big time! LOL
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:02 pm
@jcboy,
back in the good old days Presidents claimed to represent all Americans.

not shocking though to see our current president not measuring up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
You,
Quote:

Explain why?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You,
Quote:

Explain why?

we as a nation lack competent leaders.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
You said "current." Get a grip, hawk. You're confused!