Girl Scouts call for boycott of Girl Scout cookies.

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 06:47 pm
Yes, you read that right.

One Girl Scout explains....

I have a real feeling that this girl did not write that script herself (and that her parents should be ashamed of themselves for making her recite it).

What do you think of Girl Scouts allowing transgender kids into their program?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,924 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:50 pm
Perhaps she did not write the script herself, but that doesn't mean that she is not convinced of the justice of the position. I am somewhat ambivalent. Although i think that society should recognize and accomodate people who are uncomfortable in the gender in which they have been raised, i also don't think that children have rights as adults do, and that their desire to be accomodated should trump the rights of girls who are raised as girls to feel that they are in an all-girl group. Taken all in all, i find it hard to argue against her position. Especially the position that since she and her parents and peers cannot control the national organization, they would call for action to support the organization locally without contributing to the funds of the national organization. Even if i thought the position were wrong, i'd say they have that right.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:00 pm
I like this response to that video:

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:39 am
@Setanta,
I think what bothers me about it is that everyone applauds when a girl breaks through some "all boy" barrier. I've done it and I'm sure I'll continue to do it.

So why don't we applaud when a boy breaks through the "all girl" barrier?
boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:44 am
@Butrflynet,
That was a good response, thanks for the link!

In our old neighborhood there was a transgender boy a few years older than Mo. It was interesting because his family was kind of red-neck-y and they so totally accepted it, saying "he was always a girl, really".

I had never known anyone so young who was transgender. This kid would be about 13 now. I wonder how he's doing.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 10:59 am
@boomerang,
Are you saying that girls commonly want to join the boy scouts, and to go on overnight camp outs with them? Without knowing exactly what you mean by "breaks through some 'all boy" barrier," it's really impossible to judge whether or not you have constructed a valid analogy. The girl in the video is objecting to children who have been raised as boys being allowed to participate in all-girl activities because they declare that they are really girls, rather than boys--in spite of their apparent anatomy. The video which BF provides is of a child who has been raised as a girl who feels that she is, in fact, a boy. The situation there is certainly not analogous to an objection to children who have been raised as boys being allowed to participate in all-girl activities. Again, i will point out that children do not have, and in my opinion, should not have, the same rights as adults. If any child who has been raied as a boy wishes to become female, "he" may certainly do so, of his own accord, when he is of the legal age to make such a decision for himself. That this discussion involves children is crucial to my position, and generalities about the rights of individuals, or the nature of those who are raised as one gender (and who physiologically possess the attributes of that gender) but wish to be the other gender, simply don't apply in that special situation.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:08 am
@boomerang,
I almost always applaud it when teenagers try to change how adults run their world. This is true whether or not I agree with them on the merits or not. But as teenage protest goes, this must be the dullest I have ever come across. It sounds like a corporate press release. Can't this (I guess) sixteen-year-old come up with something interesting?

On the merits, I'm indifferent. I'm not keen on the gender-segregation among scouts to begin with, so I have no interest in arguing whether girlness is determined by choice or biology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:09 am
Just for the record, i supsect the girl was coached, whether or not the script was written for her. I also suspect that the motivation for the objection is confessional, which is to say, based on religious beliefs. But i don't know that this is true, and even if i knew it were, i cannot disagree with an objection which is based on children who have been raised as boys, and who have a male physiology.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:15 am
@boomerang,
Girl Scouts of America is regularly attacked on this issue (being too inclusive and liberal).

Some supposedly former scouting people started a rival "Christian" group to compete with them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Girl Scouts call for boycott of Girl Scout cookies.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 03:58:01