Do you boycott certain businesses?

Adam4Adam

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:09 am
@jcboy,
But it has to be true, Christians don't lie Very Happy
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:09 am
@Adam4Adam,
Especially Mormons. They have a strict code of ethics.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Especially Mormons. They have a strict code of ethics.

I think the Chik-Fil-A guy is a baptist.
same difference

I don't understand why they had muppet toys anyway. After all, didn't Bert and Ernie get married, secretly ?

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:45 am
Quote:
A Chicago alderman wants to kill Chick-fil-A's plans to build a restaurant in his increasingly trendy Northwest Side ward because the fast-food chain's top executive vocally opposes gay marriage.

Ald.Proco "Joe" Moreno announced this week that he will block Chick-fil-A's effort to build its second Chicago store, which would be in the Logan Square neighborhood, following company President Dan Cathy's remarks last week that he was "guilty as charged" for supporting the biblical definition of marriage as between a man and woman.

"If you are discriminating against a segment of the community, I don't want you in the 1st Ward," Moreno told the Tribune on Tuesday.

Moreno stated his position in strong terms, referring to Cathy's "bigoted, homophobic comments" in a proposed opinion page piece that an aide also sent to Tribune reporters. "Because of this man's ignorance, I will now be denying Chick-fil-A's permit to open a restaurant in the 1st Ward."

The alderman has the ideological support of Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

"Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values," the mayor said in a statement when asked about Moreno's decision. "They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty."

The rest of the story...

I didn't even realize that Chicago already had a Chick-Fil-A. I have no idea where it is.
JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm
30 E Chicago
Keith424

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:49 pm
@joefromchicago,
It won't hurt them in the bible belt but it will in other areas!
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I have a strong feeling that it is just a matter of time before we start getting blow by blows on how they ****.

Does the thought of that excite you?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:27 pm
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/391554_1994171253912_1091004692_n.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Are our cities now fiefdoms of the mayors, like Russian cities for instance, or are they democratic and run by laws??
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Cool letter

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Are our cities now fiefdoms of the mayors, like Russian cities for instance, or are they democratic and run by laws??

What law is it that you think it being broken here?

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Where does this mayor get the authority to tell a lawful business that they are not welcome in his city? He has none. This was his personal opinion only, and so putting it on city letterhead is not appropreate. As much as some citizens probably approve of his target they should not approve of his behaviour.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Where does this mayor get the authority to tell a lawful business that they are not welcome in his city?

He's a citizen just like anyone else. He can say any damn thing he pleases. Unless he takes legal action to keep them from coming to the city - I don't even know if they planned in the first place - there's no question of whether he has the authority to tell them they aren't welcome. He certainly does.

Whether or not you consider it appropriate is really immaterial unless you are a citizen of Boston, and I would bet that most of them support his position on this matter.

Specifically, I asked you 'what law is being broken?' Can you name one? Doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
You got it all wrong; no city is the fiefdom of any mayor. However, any government spokesperson who speaks out against homophobia and bigotry and who lets their voices known that discrimination is anathema to our beliefs is the right thing to do.

This country called America is based on the Constitution that "all men are created equal." Too bad many citizens of this country don't know any better.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Mayors welcome new businesses to their communities all the time. Should they stop doing that as well?
Keith424

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Excellent letter!
0 Replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
I don't see what the fuzz is about. It's Chic Fill A's owner's opinion whether it is by religion or some other naive ideas. If some people doesn't like it, they have the freedom to boycott it.

Individual franchise owners could have differing opinions.

But the conclusion is that such views by the main owner is not a good business practice.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wow, you don't mince words do you....so you are calling the 46% of the people who don't think gays should be able to marry unamerican.

You might want to look to see who is in your company before you say that!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Mayors welcome new businesses to their communities all the time. Should they stop doing that as well?

If the mayor insists upon discriminating against business that he does not like then yes he should refrain from welcoming any businesses. Better yet the citizens should vote him out of office for not representing what we claim our values are.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:32 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

30 E Chicago

Really? That's the Loyola Univ. Law School.

Next time I'm in that neighborhood I'll make it a point not to eat there.