Do you boycott certain businesses?

jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Yeah, they're Christianists. They don't open on Sundays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. They were sued by a Muslim employee for having fired him for not participating in an employee prayer.

I read something about that! Another good reason for me to avoid them!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:43 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I try not to shop at Walmart, Walgreen's, Target or other national big box stores.
I'll pay a premium to support mom and pop and I'll pick a family-run restaurant over any chain.
I choose based on the merit of the products & quality of service, including when thay r open.
When I was in Reno a few days ago, around 12midnite, I had a shoe emergency,
such that one of my shoes unexpectedly & abruptly became no longer usable.
I took a hotel shuttle to Wal Mart, whose entire store was open,
including its shoe dept. and I got a replacement pair of shoes.
I liked that availability.

David
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:49 pm
I had heard about Chick Fil A for sometime now. I’ve never eaten there and don’t plan on it.

This is a small community but a very large gay community here in St. Pete. There was one restaurant downtown where the owner had a confrontation with a gay couple in his establesment.

Apparently they were celebrating an anniversary and the owner saw them kiss at the table. He asked them to leave. That didn’t go over well in this community! The gay community boycotted his restaurant to the point he actaully make a public appoligy on his facebook page.
TommyAndJeff

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:43 am
I read about click fil A a couple, I guess they made it crystal clear how they feel. Won't be going there again!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:06 am
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
I had heard about Chick Fil A for sometime now.
I’ve never eaten there and don’t plan on it.

This is a small community but a very large gay community here in St. Pete. There was one restaurant downtown where the owner had a confrontation with a gay couple in his establesment.

Apparently they were celebrating an anniversary and the owner saw them kiss at the table. He asked them to leave. That didn’t go over well in this community! The gay community boycotted his restaurant to the point he actaully make a public appoligy on his facebook page.
What happened after he apologized ?

Did the gay community resume attending his restaurant,
or did thay continue the boycott ?
MMarciano

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Some would others still won’t. The gay men in this town spend a lot of money eating out and word travels fast, especially on facebook. There was a backlash against his restaurant. Morgan and I accepted his apology and still eat there once in a while, but his business is hurting because of that incident.
Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 07:13 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

As a member of the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign, I boycott all things Israeli.

You boycott the Ten Commandments?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 07:19 pm
I boycott no businesses; however, as a private citizen, I "snub" (aka, boycott) many people for one reason or another. Meaning, I do not attempt to talk in a friendly manner while waiting on any line. It's my small way to have people learn that not everyone subscribes to the egalatarian society they might think they live in.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:03 pm
I boycotted Walmart for about 10 years, but folded after the Downtowns were thoroughly dead. Boycotted Amazon for about 5 years. Made an attempt to boycott Borders and B&N but did not get very far. Boycotted Coke till they brought back real Coke and apologized.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:03 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

Some would others still won’t. The gay men in this town spend a lot of money eating out and word travels fast, especially on facebook. There was a backlash against his restaurant. Morgan and I accepted his apology and still eat there once in a while, but his business is hurting because of that incident.
I understand; makes sense.
I guess that he learned that it pays to THINK b4 u act.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I boycott no businesses; however, as a private citizen, I "snub" (aka, boycott) many people for one reason or another. Meaning, I do not attempt to talk in a friendly manner while waiting on any line. It's my small way to have people learn that not everyone subscribes to the egalatarian society they might think they live in.
Foofie, may I inquire as to whether u r a Scorpio, in astrology ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I boycotted Walmart for about 10 years, but folded after the Downtowns were thoroughly dead. Boycotted Amazon for about 5 years. Made an attempt to boycott Borders and B&N but did not get very far. Boycotted Coke till they brought back real Coke and apologized.
Did thay KNOW that u were boycotting ?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, but I felt better about myself for not handing them my money. Now that I am a businessman my outlook has changed some, I believe that all but Coke were selling people what they wanted so they were not scummy companies as I then thought of them, though I still pick and choose who I want to do business with.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

No, but I felt better about myself for not handing them my money.
Yeah. Maybe 15 or 2O years ago, I heard that the firm
that sells Sara Lee cake had donated $$ to propagate anti-freedom
efforts, to curtail, or to end by law, my right to personal defense
from predatory violence; i.e., if I bawt their cake (as I was doing),
I 'd thereby contribute to the subversion of the 2nd Amendment
and thereby subversion of my own right to exist.
I had a choice to make. I never got into boycotting.
( I DID get into financing pro-freedom efforts.)
In 2008, the USSC supported the pro-freedom side of the argument, anyway.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Now that I am a businessman my outlook has changed some, I believe that all but Coke were selling people what they wanted so they were not scummy companies as I then thought of them, though I still pick and choose who I want to do business with.
Yeah, it does not hurt to pick n choose with whom u do business.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I never got into boycotting.

You might be shocked to learn that not of us always have the cash on hand to donate to causes. This being the case choosing where to make our purchases is the only way we can financially impact the situation.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:14 am
Thank you for telling me about SaraLee, David. I like their frozen cakes, and now I think I'll have to buy them more often because of their freedom-from-gun-violence position.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:17 am
@hawkeye10,

Quote:
I never got into boycotting.
hawkeye10 wrote:
You might be shocked to learn that not of us always have the cash on hand to donate to causes. This being the case choosing where to make our purchases is the only way we can financially impact the situation.
I was not disputing your position.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:18 am
I refused for years to get a pizza from Domino's because their owner was a far-right uber-Christian anti-abortion zealot. Guess my chicken is never gonna be Chick-Fil-A. Seems to me once the Burlington Mall CFA had some sort of promo deal on and I ate there once or twice, and it wasn't bad. Never again now, tho.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:23 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Thank you for telling me about SaraLee, David. I like their frozen cakes, and now I think I'll have to buy them more often because of their freedom-from-gun-violence position.
Bon appetite; we freedom-lovers have the USSC on our side.

WE WON.

U suppressionists lost in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Multiple be the chuckles!!!!!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:30 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

I refused for years to get a pizza from Domino's because their owner was a far-right uber-Christian anti-abortion zealot.

Guess my chicken is never gonna be Chick-Fil-A.
Seems to me once the Burlington Mall CFA had
some sort of promo deal on and I ate there once or twice, and it wasn't bad. Never again now, tho.
Geeez, this information puts me into an ambivalent position.
I support the pro-freedom quality of the far-right (by that I mean Original Americanism, as Constitutionally amended)
but my support includes 1OO% freedom of abortion.

David