The distinction between war and murder becomes a fine one...

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:45 am
@oralloy,
You really are a moron. The peace process is working, your ridiculous idea, would kick it all off. You'd find it very difficult to pacify the Unionists. A lot of them served with the UDR, and know how to put up a fight.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:47 am
@izzythepush,
I once went to look at a House for Sale. In Lancashire. During my inspection the owner found the opportunity to inform me that he would not sell me the joint if I was a Catholic. He was a strict Orange of the clockwork type.

That's how bigoted the Orangeman is. His wife is usually worse. And this house is "o'er the short sea" from the Shankill Road.

I humoured the silly sod and "I made an excuse and left" as the journalists investigating the vice girls used to say. I have met a few before and I always treat them with respect because they often seem to be on a very short fuse.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:55 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
That depends what you mean by "took". If it was that a long and protracted negotiation resulted in an agreed takeover by the worthies of Dublin I feel sure that there would be nothing of what you suggest taking place.

I was not really suggesting it, I was trying to get some sense of the violence that was being hinted at if Ireland were to take over.

It is likely that national borders in Europe will have less significance in the future in any case, as the EU is likely to become more and more a single state.

Although that said, I still would like Michigan to reclaim Toledo back from Ohio (they stole it from us), so being a single state does not mean there can't still be border tensions.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:55 am
@spendius,
I know exactly what you mean. If you google "No surrender to the IRA," the amount of anti-Catholic vitriol is outstanding.

Oralboy would probably fit in quite well with them. His answer is exterminate anyone who doesn't agree with him, he already wants to kill all Moslems and Italians. Now it seems the Unionists are fair game. Soon there won't be anyone left. It's probably just as well he lives all on his own in the middle of nowhere.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You really are a moron. The peace process is working, your ridiculous idea, would kick it all off. You'd find it very difficult to pacify the Unionists. A lot of them served with the UDR, and know how to put up a fight.

I'm basing my point of view on right vs wrong. I can see wanting to live in Ireland, but I have trouble understanding why those Orange people refuse Irish rule while living in Ireland, especially since they would have EU protections guaranteeing their right to their own religious values.

Avoidance of conflict does not enter into my point of view. It is based solely on right vs wrong.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
His answer is exterminate anyone who doesn't agree with him, he already wants to kill all Moslems and Italians. Now it seems the Unionists are fair game. Soon there won't be anyone left.

All Muslims??? I'll be happy with just getting the terrorists and their allies.

I only propose cracking down on the Orange people to the extent necessary to prevent them from going on the rampage that is being hinted at.

Some nuance is required when throwing around the term "Italians". My ire is directed at the nation, not against the ethnicity.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
I suggest to those who live on the island of Ireland become Irish and those who wish to ruled from other distant places ought to go to those distant places.

Was this war or murder?
Quote:
By 1652 more than 300,000 Irish were sold as slaves during Cromwell's Reconquest of Ireland. During this period the population fell from 1,500,000 to 600,000 in a single decade.
During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

Viet Nam? The USA was a piker compared to what the Christian Kingdom of Great Britain did to the people of Ireland.

Well?
Joe(war or murder?)Nation
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:20 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I was not really suggesting it, I was trying to get some sense of the violence that was being hinted at if Ireland were to take over.

The main thing is the differential breeding rate and how it impacts on the democratic process.

What you need to do is persuade the citizens of Toledo to want to become Michigans. So you do all you can to make Michigan a good place to live. And get a radio station beamed in on Toledo telling them and what a dump Ohio is.

50 years and Congress will nod it through if that's what the good people of Toledo want after a few Propositions and a referendum or three. At first you will have to get the traffic cops to redirect an agreed proportion of the pork barrels.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:21 am
This thread is well and truly fucked now.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:22 am
@Joe Nation,
I agree with you about the terrible things Britain did to Ireland, but we're where we are now. The peace process is working, but if you think the Unionists will just pack up and go, you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Lots of countries did terrible things in the 17th Century, they were less enlightened times.

The Vietnamese conflict was far more recent.

Quote:
those who wish to ruled from other distant places ought to go to those distant places.

Ulster is far closer to London than New York is to Washington.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:25 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Viet Nam? The USA was a piker compared to what the Christian Kingdom of Great Britain did to the people of Ireland.

But we have no responsibility for what happened in the 17th century. That's not the case with Vietnam.

It has been supposed that we are more civilised, or less barbaric if you prefer, that they used to be 15 generations ago.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:31 am
@spendius,
If you look at support for a United Ireland, the numbers speak for themselves.

Quote:
A united Ireland fully independent of the United Kingdom is supported by Irish republicans and Irish nationalists. Conversely, unionists and loyalists oppose this and support Northern Ireland remaining part of the United Kingdom. In the 2009 Northern Ireland Life and Times survey, 21% of those asked supported a united Ireland. In the Republic of Ireland, a united Ireland is favoured by around 80% of people. In Great Britain surveys show about 40% support a united Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ireland
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:08 am
@izzythepush,
The Unionists don't have to go anywhere, they can be Irish as the rest of the people living on the island of Ireland are. They won't, but that's because the Orangemen remain one of the strongest hate/terror-groups ever formed; without the protection of the British Crown (which makes it complicit in its acts of terror and subornation) they would have been dealt with as any other terror group by now.

17th century too long for those now present to have some culpability? Hmmm.

In 1915, my folks were driven out of Kerry, their houses torn down, by people like this:
Quote:
"If a police barracks is burned or if the barracks already occupied is not suitable, then the best house in the locality is to be commandeered, the occupants thrown into the gutter. Let them die there – the more the merrier.
Should the order ("Hands Up") not be immediately obeyed, shoot and shoot with effect. If the persons approaching (a patrol) carry their hands in their pockets, or are in any way suspicious-looking, shoot them down. You may make mistakes occasionally and innocent persons may be shot, but that cannot be helped, and you are bound to get the right parties some time. The more you shoot, the better I will like you, and I assure you no policeman will get into trouble for shooting any man."

Lt. Col. Smyth, Her Majesty's Black and Tans, June 1920

Spare me your Royalist niceties, you were still machine gunning people in the streets of India while the people starved in 1946.

No, I did not watch any of the Royal wedding ceremony nor did I send a gift for Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee.

Joe(I'm funny that way.)Nation

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:12 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
I suggest to those who live on the island of Ireland become Irish and those who wish to ruled from other distant places ought to go to those distant places.

I wouldn't put the Falkland Islands in the same category as Northern Ireland.

With Northern Ireland, there are actually Irish people who wish they had not been conquered.

With the Falklands, the British are the natives, and it is Argentina that seeks to conquer them.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:16 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What you need to do is persuade the citizens of Toledo to want to become Michigans. So you do all you can to make Michigan a good place to live. And get a radio station beamed in on Toledo telling them and what a dump Ohio is.

50 years and Congress will nod it through if that's what the good people of Toledo want after a few Propositions and a referendum or three. At first you will have to get the traffic cops to redirect an agreed proportion of the pork barrels.

Do you think that would work?

I was thinking that we'd have to wait until the US broke up, and then invaded Ohio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Toledo_Strip

I'm probably the only person in the state who even cares, actually. But right is right.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This thread is well and truly fucked now.

Nah. There hasn't been a mention of Hitler, yet.

...oops.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:24 am
Hehehehehehehehehehe . . .

(Actually, i had already mentioned the old pervert, but entirely in context.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
With the Falklands, the British are the natives, and it is Argentina that seeks to conquer them.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article191247.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Falkland+Islands+illustration

Ah, yes....the last jewel in the Crown.

~~
Did it give anyone any sense of relief this morning to hear that they are deploying about a brigade of troops, fresh from Afghanistan, to patrol the streets of London during the Olympics?

Let's hope their granddads weren't members of the Black and Tan.

Joe(Keep your hands where they can see them.)Nation
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:20 am
@Joe Nation,
I'm hardly what one could call a Royalist. The situation is, that the majoity population in Northern Ireland reject the notion of a United Ireland completely. So what would you suggest we do, other than what is being done right now?

1946 is a bit more recent, and it's about India, not Ireland, but it's still not as recent as Vietnam.

Quote:
After the war, the release of records of the International Red Cross showed that in South Vietnamese prison camps, where at the height of the war 65,000 to 70,000 people were held and often beaten and tortured, American advisers observed and sometimes participated. The Red Cross observers found continuing, systematic brutality at the two principal Vietnamese POW camps-at Phu Quoc and Qui Nhon, where American advisers were stationed.

By the end of the war, 7 million tons of bombs had been dropped on Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia - more than twice the amount of bombs dropped on Europe and Asia in World War II. In addition, poisonous sprays were dropped by planes to destroy trees and any kind of growth - an area the size of the state of Massachusetts was covered with such poison. Vietnamese mothers reported birth defects in their children. Yale biologists, using the same poison (2,4,5,T) on mice, reported defective mice born and said they had no reason to believe the effect on humans was different.

More details of atrocities started to slowly leak out, such as that of the My Lai massacre in which nearly 500 men, women and childred were methodically shot to death in a ditch. Sadly, My Lai was unique only in its details. Journalist Seymour Hersh reported a letter sent by a GI to his family, and published in a local newspaper:

http://libcom.org/history/articles/vietnam-war

Just a piker?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:30 am
Well this discussion has certainly taken a turn since I last checked in. That's fine, but to those of you who have responded to the thread topic -- it might take a while for me to sort through things. Be patient, please. I'm interested.

Today's entry into the series is interesting. A blurb:

Quote:
But that's the thing, he said: Secrecy isn't always the main driver here. Sometimes diplomacy is. "The requirement of non-acknowledgement" is. It's very common for cooperation and consent to be drawn from other countries only if you don't acknowledge something. They say, You can do this, but you can never acknowledge that you're involved.

So there are deals — deals that have already been made. And part of the deal is that you don't acknowledge the deal. If you do, then the country you made the deal with is obligated to do react, because now there's been a violation of sovereignty. The problem is that there are a lot of these kinds of deals, because they are so easy to make. They're a little like allowing a source to go off the record in journalism. If the source asks, Can I go off the record?, you'll say, Of course you can, because you want the source to talk. It's the same in statecraft. You make the deal because you want there to be a deal....

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/obama-drone-strikes-10558354#ixzz20QkeaYFH