The distinction between war and murder becomes a fine one...

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:33 am
@msolga,
Quote:
When General Dwight D. Eisenhower, then the Supreme Allied Commander, was informed by the Secretary of War that the atomic bomb was going to be used, he later recalled saying it was unnecessary because Japan was already largely defeated. Eisenhower said the bomb was "no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives." At one point after the war he said bluntly, "It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

I think we ought to leave the Commander in Chief in Europe and two time President with the last word on the matter.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:03 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
No it doesn't. The Constitution is very clear on killing Americans without due process of the law; Obama is just plain wrong. Things couldn't be less subtle. Obama is riding roughshod with the Constitution, not to mention international, which he's violating when he whacks foreigners that way. Worse yet: since Obama is a professor of constitutional law, I must assume his transgressions are intentional and premeditated.

We're at war. The Constitution allows our soldiers to fire on the enemy during a time of war, and there is no requirement for any judicial process before they open fire.

International law also allows soldiers to fire on the enemy during a time of war, without requiring the completion of any judicial process before they pull the trigger.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:04 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What about Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

One of the main reasons Hiroshima was selected as a target for the A-bomb was its great military value. The city was Japan's main military port, and was the launching point of most of their genocidal invasions of their neighbors. The city held tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers, and was also the headquarters in charge of repelling any US invasion in the southern half of the Japanese home islands.

Nagasaki was an industrial center, and its huge factories were devoted to the production of weapons and equipment for the Japanese military.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:17 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
To me, the question is not whether the US has the constitutional right to wage war against individuals perceived as enemies, who are living in these tribal areas, it is the morality of using such imperfect weapons (drones) which "accidentally" kill so many innocent civilians. My question is: does the elimination of the perceived enemies of the US justify the deaths of so many innocent people? To me the human rights of those people is a far more important consideration. How much, if any, "collateral damage" (horrible term) is acceptable to those of you who support the drone attacks?

I'm not sure why these weapons are being regarded as so imperfect. Would it be better to have hundreds of B52's carpetbombing Pakistan's tribal areas with napalm every day?

At any rate, as far as acceptance of collateral damage goes, I'd be willing to nuke a major Pakistani city if I knew it would put Zawahiri inside the fireball.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:22 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Quite necessary when the Japanese were ready to fight to the last person. We saved American lives and Japanese lives. ....

Quote:
When General Dwight D. Eisenhower, then the Supreme Allied Commander, was informed by the Secretary of War that the atomic bomb was going to be used, he later recalled saying it was unnecessary because Japan was already largely defeated. Eisenhower said the bomb was "no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives." At one point after the war he said bluntly, "It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/upfront/debate/index.asp?article=0514

Ike seems to have perceived something that no one else could. It appeared to everyone else that Japan was nowhere near accepting our surrender terms, and wartime leaders can only make decisions based on the best information that is available to them at the time.

Perhaps if Japan had offered to surrender a week earlier.....
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:24 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
To my way of thinking, Foofie, there was no justification - whatever the perceived gains argued - for bombing Japanese civilians.
I feel much the same about the drone attacks now.

Civilians are not the target in either case. Hiroshima and Nagasaki both had significant military value. The drones are firing at terrorist militants.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Yet we allowed the tragedy to continue until both sides fell over from the exhaustion of the struggle and the Six Counties are still not free to be Irish.

There's a lot of people living in Ulster who don't want to be Irish. What do you suggest doing with them?

Tell them that they are free to live in Ireland, but if they choose to do so, they are going to have to be subject to the Irish government.

If I moved to Mexico, I'd accept that I was subject to the Mexican government. I would not insist that Mexico cede part of their territory to the US just so I could continue to be under US jurisdiction.

izzythepush wrote:
What the British government did in Ireland was terrible, but it really doesn't come close to what your lot did in Vietnam.

It was bad to try to preserve South Vietnam against conquest by Communist dictators???
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:40 am
@oralloy,
They've not moved to Ulster, they were born there, and have lived there for hundreds of years. Do you really think they'll take your solution lying down?

Such a simplistic notion would result in bloodshed on a massive scale. You know nothing of the Unionists' willingness to fight.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:43 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:

I think we ought to leave the Commander in Chief in Europe and two time President with the last word on the matter.

Depends. It's fine so long as his words are taken in context.

But it should be remembered that the pending surrender that seemed so clear to him, was not very clear to everyone else.

His objections were a bit late in any case. By the time he had his conversation with Stimson, the final orders to drop the A-bombs had already been sent out to the field, and Truman had departed Potsdam and was headed back to Washington.

Even if Ike had managed to persuade Stimson (and Stimson did not find Ike persuasive at all), it would have been hard to change course. Truman was still at sea when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:52 am
@oralloy,
According to Ike those factors were long out of date.

It's done now. I only raised the matter to balance some things said about what bastards we Brits are. I didn't dispute that. I just thought presenting the USA as sweet and reasonable was plain silly. Just as your one line caricatures of very complex events are silly.

The project to get those two bombs, and there were only two, was a very long and costly one. It was started when it was thought necessary and if it wasn't necessary at the flashpoint, as the President had said, it suggests that forces were in play which the President refrained from controlling. Or was possibly unable to. As many a Roman Emperor often refrained from juggling with the hot potatoes of his own time.

One of which would have been that here's a chance to show the world that you don't **** with Uncle Sam from now on.

With a gentler tone enquiring about what sort of injuries would be experienced at different distances from the flashpoint. And to about how many and of what condition of life.

Dozens, maybe hundreds, of hot potatoes to juggle with, whilst seeing to it at the same that Americans at home are not suffering any undue inconveniences, which is another bunch of hot-potatoes which have to be juggled with the feet, and you toss off a couple of lines about it which we have all heard many times before.

And you do so because you are on that side of the fence, the patriotic side, which justifies the use of the Bomb on two defenceless cities rather than the Imperial Palace: which one might presume you wished to save so that you could all visit the place when the dust settled and be photographed there and stroll around it like as if you owned the place.

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Tell them that they are free to live in Ireland, but if they choose to do so, they are going to have to be subject to the Irish government.

If I moved to Mexico, I'd accept that I was subject to the Mexican government. I would not insist that Mexico cede part of their territory to the US just so I could continue to be under US jurisdiction.

Both those statements are ridiculous. In the first case because the Prods won't have it. As a fact.

In the case of the second because there is no comparison between moving to Mexico and having lived and worked all your life in N.I. like your fathers before you. They are not moving to N.I. They are rooted there. You have to think of them as voluntary immigrants to compare the two cases.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
They've not moved to Ulster, they were born there, and have lived there for hundreds of years. Do you really think they'll take your solution lying down?

Such a simplistic notion would result in bloodshed on a massive scale. You know nothing of the Unionists' willingness to fight.

I'm not exactly sure why being subject to the Irish government would be such a problem. It's not like Ireland is a rogue nation or anything.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:13 am
@Thomas,
Boomerang wrote:
The distinction between war and murder becomes a fine one...
Thomas wrote:

Obama is riding roughshod with the Constitution, not to mention international,
which he's violating when he whacks foreigners that way.
Tom, may I inquire concerning which international law u have in mind ?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:14 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Both those statements are ridiculous. In the first case because the Prods won't have it. As a fact.

In the case of the second because there is no comparison between moving to Mexico and having lived and worked all your life in N.I. like your fathers before you. They are not moving to N.I. They are rooted there. You have to think of them as voluntary immigrants to compare the two cases.

Rooted there or not, it is still silly of them to refuse to accept the jurisdiction of the Irish government if they want to live in Ireland.

What would they do if the Irish government took control? Go on a murder spree and kill a bunch of babies??
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:18 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It's not like Ireland is a rogue nation or anything.

That's quite witty.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:23 am
@oralloy,
You're not sure, because you know nothing about the situation. The Orange Order still marches to celebrate victory of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. They are vehemently anti-Catholic, and some class the pope as the anti-Christ. The Unionist community is the majority in Northern Ireland, and a lot of them are members of the Orange Order.

Quote:
The Orange Institution (more commonly known as the Orange Order, the Orange Lodge or the Orangemen) is a Protestant fraternal organisation based in Northern Ireland, though it has lodges throughout the British Isles, the Commonwealth and the United States. Founded in 1796 near the village of Loughgall in County Armagh, its name is a tribute to the Dutch-born Protestant King of England, Ireland and Scotland William of Orange, who defeated the army of Catholic James II at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.

Politically, the Orange Order is strongly linked to unionism. Critics have accused the Orange Order of being sectarian, triumphalist and supremacist. As a Protestant society, non-Protestants cannot become members. Catholics, and those whose close relatives are Catholic, are banned from becoming members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:27 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
One of the main reasons Hiroshima was selected as a target for the A-bomb was its great military value. The city was Japan's main military port, and was the launching point of most of their genocidal invasions of their neighbors. The city held tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers, and was also the headquarters in charge of repelling any US invasion in the southern half of the Japanese home islands.

Nagasaki was an industrial center, and its huge factories were devoted to the production of weapons and equipment for the Japanese military.

According to Ike those factors were long out of date.

Ike believed that Japan was near surrender. That belief did not change the fact the Hiroshima and Nagasaki were important military targets.

spendius wrote:
The project to get those two bombs, and there were only two, was a very long and costly one.

There were a lot more than those two on the way. Japan was only a week away from having a third dropped on them when they surrendered, and we would have had about a dozen more to drop on the beaches when we invaded.

spendius wrote:
It was started when it was thought necessary and if it wasn't necessary at the flashpoint, as the President had said, it suggests that forces were in play which the President refrained from controlling. Or was possibly unable to. As many a Roman Emperor often refrained from juggling with the hot potatoes of his own time.

The lack of necessity was something that only Ike perceived. It seemed pretty necessary to everyone else at the time.

spendius wrote:
And you do so because you are on that side of the fence, the patriotic side, which justifies the use of the Bomb on two defenceless cities rather than the Imperial Palace: which one might presume you wished to save so that you could all visit the place when the dust settled and be photographed there and stroll around it like as if you owned the place.

Not exactly defenseless. The plane with the second A-bomb had some difficulties from Japanese defenses. Their biggest difficulty was their own technical difficulties with a fuel pump malfunction however.

The reason for not bombing the imperial palace was because killing the Emperor would make it difficult for him to surrender to us. That said, the next A-bomb was likely going to be dropped on Tokyo (whether it would be dropped over the imperial palace though is another matter, perhaps it wouldn't have).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:27 am
@oralloy,
Isn't Ireland a brogue nation?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Rooted there or not, it is still silly of them to refuse to accept the jurisdiction of the Irish government if they want to live in Ireland.

It is only silly to those who think it is silly. To those who don't it isn't.

Quote:
What would they do if the Irish government took control? Go on a murder spree and kill a bunch of babies??

That depends what you mean by "took". If it was that a long and protracted negotiation resulted in an agreed takeover by the worthies of Dublin I feel sure that there would be nothing of what you suggest taking place. If it was by force then perhaps there would be some bloodshed with babies as collateral damage as is often the case in such situations. It's one or the other. At the moment I mean. We might intervene.

Are you thinking of Irish babies as you would American babies and of Japanese babies as Japanese babies.

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're not sure, because you know nothing about the situation.

I know a bit about it, though perhaps not everything. So what would they do if the Irish government took over? Murder a bunch of babies??

izzythepush wrote:
The Orange Order still marches to celebrate victory of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. They are vehemently anti-Catholic, and some class the pope as the anti-Christ. The Unionist community is the majority in Northern Ireland, and a lot of them are members of the Orange Order.

Quote:
The Orange Institution (more commonly known as the Orange Order, the Orange Lodge or the Orangemen) is a Protestant fraternal organisation based in Northern Ireland, though it has lodges throughout the British Isles, the Commonwealth and the United States. Founded in 1796 near the village of Loughgall in County Armagh, its name is a tribute to the Dutch-born Protestant King of England, Ireland and Scotland William of Orange, who defeated the army of Catholic James II at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.

Politically, the Orange Order is strongly linked to unionism. Critics have accused the Orange Order of being sectarian, triumphalist and supremacist. As a Protestant society, non-Protestants cannot become members. Catholics, and those whose close relatives are Catholic, are banned from becoming members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

They'd still be part of the EU, with all the requisite rights to hold their own religious beliefs/practices. They'd just have to also allow others to also have their own religious beliefs/practices.

If they can't abide by EU norms for tolerance, send in military forces to pacify them.