The distinction between war and murder becomes a fine one...

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:18 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
De facto, the Allies had a very highly placed secret agent,
in deep cover; so secret that even HE did not know it.
JTT wrote:
Now that`s some secret agent, Om.
Yes. Hitler was kinda unique.

JTT wrote:
Aren`t there lots of US `movies`that have that central theme(QM)
Yes. There r not.

David
JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
JTT wrote:
Aren't there lots of US 'movies' that have that central theme?

Quote:
Om: Yes. There r not.

No need, as you have mentioned, for a long answer, Om. A 'yes' or 'no' will suffice.

Are you not a convicted pedophile?

Isn't your Depends ready to be changed?

Weren't you convicted of embezzling from your law firm?

Aren't you actually a dirt poor Georgia cracker with a grade three education?
spendius

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

He was not. I've heard plenty like Hitler. What was unique was so many taking any notice of the silly sod.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Whoa, Om, that won't sit well with your prescriptive brethren, especially now that it's been brought up to them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:12 am
@JTT,
Quote:
JTT wrote:
Aren't there lots of US 'movies' that have that central theme?

Quote:
Om: Yes. There r not.
JTT wrote:

No need, as you have mentioned, [????] for a long answer, Om. A 'yes' or 'no' will suffice.
U lied, J. I never said that.
To be kind to u, I 'll assume that your lies result from your halluciations
n that u r incapable of distinguishing right from rong.

Addressing the concept of something that "will suffice", as u put it:
if I want a hedonicly thrilling dessert which will suffice,
that does not mean that I will not have several numerous additional portions
thereof well BEYOND what suffices. I have abundant empirical evidence of this,
re-testing this proposition quite a few times.
I 'll re-test it again, just to make sure.
(My SIG members r witnesses to my gluttony.)

JTT wrote:
Are you not a convicted pedophile?

Isn't your Depends ready to be changed?

Weren't you convicted of embezzling from your law firm?

Aren't you actually a dirt poor Georgia cracker with a grade three education?
Yes; I have never been criminally prosecuted, let alone any convictions,
and the subject matter of all of your questions is devoid of any factual basis.

Sometimes its a little fun to play with u; not always.

David
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:53 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
you can't deplore the collateral civilian deaths while viewing with alarm an Obama administration policy of minimizing such deaths by targeting known individual terrorists.

naturally...since when without politics involved would any sane American even consider the coinage of "murder" regarding the targeting of a terrorist by US military ??? American political hysteria looks very odd seen from Europe...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie is obsessed with race and nationality, I've never known anyone go on about it quite as much as him.

I agree with you about drones, like Guantanamo Bay they recruit more people to the cause than they ever manage to kill/capture.

I do not go on about race. I go on about nationality, since I believe that nationality often correlates to a nation's culture which can have some traits that I may not favor, such as hubris with little to back it up.

I do not care what race anyone is. I have as much contempt for a white European as I do for any other race. I do not particulary care for any race.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:16 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I do not go on about race.

That's not the impression you give. Why should you concern yourself overmuch with nationality? It can cloud your judgement.
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:

When you're right, you're right!

Before being so quick to condemn Cromwell, you might like to consider the following.

Quote:
In the 1650s, Menasseh Ben Israel, a rabbi and leader of the Dutch Jewish community, approached Oliver Cromwell with the proposition that Jews should at long-last be readmitted to England. Cromwell agreed, and although he could not compel a council called for the purpose in December 1655 to consent formally to readmission, he made it clear that the ban on Jews would no longer be enforced. In the years 1655–56, the controversy over the readmission of Jews was fought out in a pamphlet war. The issue divided religious radicals and more conservative elements within society. The Puritan William Prynne was vehemently opposed to permitting Jews to return, the Quaker Margaret Fell no less passionately in favour. In the end, Jews were readmitted in 1655, and, by 1690, about 400 Jews had settled in England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_England

When people are nice to Jews, in my opinion, I always first look to see what benefit they might be gaining. In the above instance, I have to wonder if Cromwell was attempting to to enhance the economy of England, since Jews were known to have "connections" with Jewish brethren in other countries for purposes of trade. Maybe Cromwell liked spices, notions, baubles and threads that Jews knew how to import?

I would not jump to the conclusion that someone that was known to ride into battle with hooded soldiers singing hymns was a philo-Semite.
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So Cromwell was nice to a few hundred Jews, and therefore can be excused the murder or enslavement of tens of thousands of the Irish. One wonders if the expression "sense of proportion" is generally understood.

In the way of analogy, Israel recently gave up 1,000 Palestinean prisoners, I thought, for one young Jewish soldier. The inference I thought was that one Jewish soldier kidnapped, to Israel, was worth 1,000 Palestinean prisoners. So, if the analogy is correct, then it might correlate to one Jew that Cromwell brought into England was worth "x" number of Irish that he murdered. I cannot think that is a compliment about how one thinks of the Irish. I would just compare one Jew to one Irishmen. In NYC I always thought they were both needed, in equal number, to make the city run well?

I am not sure that all animosities, between the English and the Irish, are truly a thing of the past, in all circles?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:26 am
@Foofie,
I don't doubt there was significant benefit to be had from allowing Jewish merchants to settle in England. Not least the overwhelmingly hostile Catholic continent, it doesn't alter the fact that from the time of Cromwell, Jews were treated far better in England than in other parts of Europe, with the possible exception of Protestant Holland.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:29 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I am not sure that all animosities, between the English and the Irish, are truly a thing of the past, in all circles?

Relations between the Irish and British governments are the best they ever had been. Personal relations are also very good, with the exception of a few extremists.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:31 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

There is a possibility that drone attacks in distant places are designed to test and perfect the technology in case it is ever required to be brought to bear on American citizens.

You need to qualify which citizens to make it a salient thought; otherwise, in my opinion, the thought can be misconstrued as just paranoia.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

When JTT points out what you're doing in the here and now, you throw all sorts of insults back. You're the ones who can't deal with the crimes you're committing right now. The drones are a clear example of that.

"The drones are a clear example" of technology that allows for less collateral damage than smart bombs, and what was used in Vietnam.

England ain't got no mo fo drones, do they? You got coal. Hundreds of years of coal. Get back in your time machine please, or watch old movies of the British, when the sun didn't set on their empire.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:40 am
@Foofie,
Why not stick to the here and now. Is it because your position is untenable?
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I do not go on about race.

That's not the impression you give. Why should you concern yourself overmuch with nationality? It can cloud your judgement.

Because as an eminent inter-galactic scientist, I only subscribe to the human race. However, reiterating, nationality might reflect a national character that sometimes is seen in obnoxious, annoying traits. Like some Brits act like they are still a world power, even though their power is from an ally called the United States of America. I say this in context of some Brits all involved with international politics, as though the sun does not set on their prior empire.

Plus, I might not really appreciate many nationalities. I only have love in my heart for Americans.
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't doubt there was significant benefit to be had from allowing Jewish merchants to settle in England. Not least the overwhelmingly hostile Catholic continent, it doesn't alter the fact that from the time of Cromwell, Jews were treated far better in England than in other parts of Europe, with the possible exception of Protestant Holland.

You are going to compare a people, the Dutch, that could wrest a nation from the sea, to the English? Sort of like comparing a mule to a horse, in my opinion.

Perhaps, the English were too busy tending their gardens to be concerned about Jews in their midst? Or, possibly, they weren't paranoid like in contenental Europe that they were going to be "Judaized" by a few Jews in their midst. The correct analysis, perhaps, is that the English aren't as paranoid as continental Europe, since they had a natural border of the sea? It might have been easier to "manage" thier culture, in the opinion of the masses? "Why we blokes are all English!"
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:55 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I only have love in my heart for Americans.

That must be something of a strain Foofie.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:00 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Because as an eminent inter-galactic scientist,

This is a prime example of two countries divided by a common language. Where you would say 'eminent inter-galactic sicientist,' we would say 'total bullshit merchant.'
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:02 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I only have love in my heart for Americans.

That must be something of a strain Foofie.

Naturally, I love those on the right side of the bellcurve with greater affection. Those Americans on the left side of the bellcurve I just feel saddened, but still care for them as one cares for a child in a family that is not the brightest. It is not easy to get through this life on the left side of the bellcurve. It is no ones fault that anyone is on the left side of the bellcurve. The luck of the egg and sperm cell during conception, in my opinion.

0 Replies