The distinction between war and murder becomes a fine one...

Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Because as an eminent inter-galactic scientist,

This is a prime example of two countries divided by a common language. Where you would say 'eminent inter-galactic sicientist,' we would say 'total bullshit merchant.'

As an eminent inter-galactic psycho-neural scientist, I have to wonder if you are making all correct synaptic connections in your grey matter?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:06 am
@Foofie,
And I have to wonder if this is the only human contact you get.
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Why not stick to the here and now. Is it because your position is untenable?

"Tenable" is not a quality of my position. My position is "American Exceptionalism." That position is inviolate.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:09 am
@Foofie,
Not for long.
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:10 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And I have to wonder if this is the only human contact you get.

Not at all. But, it is kind of you to send me a one-sentence put-down, all the way from Britain.
Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Not for long.

Then you know something I do not know. Can you make a yoyo "do rock the baby"?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:13 am
@Foofie,
I'm sorry old boy, but it's my daughter's birthday today. I'm just about to take her out to celebrate. I'll deal with your nonsense another day.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:28 am
@Foofie,
I can make a Baby do the yo-yo rock. (Well--I used to be able to at least).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 07:46 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie: My position is "American Exceptionalism." That position is inviolate. I embrace and thrill to what it has done to innocents the world over. I especially love how Reagan got his buddies, the Contras, to cut off women's breast and skin people alive. Did you know that the Contras are just like our founding fathers?

Ooooooooo, I get all giddy inside when I think about how America is so exceptional - we showed Hitler that he was a second rate war criminal. You want to do it big time - join in with us Americans - we're showing the world just how exceptionally cruel and morally vacant a group of people can get.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I'm sorry old boy, but it's my daughter's birthday today.
I'm just about to take her out to celebrate. I'll deal with your nonsense another day.
I wish your child a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Izzy.

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you, I will do. She's been able to drink legally over here for two years now, but it will be another year before she can legally drink in America.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Thank you, I will do. She's been able to drink legally over here for two years now,
but it will be another year before she can legally drink in America.
How old is she?
We have different legal drinking ages among the different jurisdictions.
When I was a kid, I never paid any attention to that.
I drank what I wanted, but I never had a lot of interest in alcohol.
I disliked it, when I had to drink beer against the heat in Arizona ages 8 to 13.
Sometimes, I had wine (as sometimes I do now) but its never meant a great deal to me.
Compliance with age-based drinking laws meant even less to me, or nothing at all.
It never occurred to me that the law shud be any criterion as to what I shud drink.

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
She's just turned 20.
Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:35 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Foofie: My position is "American Exceptionalism." That position is inviolate. I embrace and thrill to what it has done to innocents the world over. I especially love how Reagan got his buddies, the Contras, to cut off women's breast and skin people alive. Did you know that the Contras are just like our founding fathers?

Ooooooooo, I get all giddy inside when I think about how America is so exceptional - we showed Hitler that he was a second rate war criminal. You want to do it big time - join in with us Americans - we're showing the world just how exceptionally cruel and morally vacant a group of people can get.

You are fabricating what I never said. You apparently do not want to use logic to promulgate your position, but rather fictionalize another poster's thoughts. The only part of the above I said was, "My position is "American Exceptionalism." That position is inviolate." The rest of the above is your fictional libelous character assassination.

What is interesting is that you might be less inclined to use my posts in a more direct way. Perhaps, you have some issues with Foofie, based on some quality of mine. Do you dislike New Yorkers? New York Jews? Does that exacerbate my being an American? I do not know; I am only looking for a reason that you use really nasty tactics to make me look bad. Perhaps, that is your ulterior unconscious goal, rather than decry the United States?

You might have more issues in your psyche than just the United States, since no one on the forum, to my knowledge, had any salient involvement with the actions of the US that you decry. Do you know what the term "scapegoat" means?

Plus, while you attack, in your fictionalized quotes, another poster, you do not seem to have any remorse for another's feelings. Perhaps, you have the same lack of commiseration you apply to others in the political realm, but on a more personal level? Which is worse ethically ? To be a unfeeling politically, or unfeeling in one's interpersonal relationships. You answer the question.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

She's just turned 20.

I did the maths, from your earlier post. In my opinion, being a good father is much more important than any political interests. In you old age, only a child can make one feel that one's life was worth living, in my opinion.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:20 pm
Getting back to BBB's OP and the sbject of this thread:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/18/156976103/aclu-sues-u-s-government-over-targeted-killing-of-three-citizens?print=1

NPR wrote:
In a lawsuit filed today, the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights allege the United States violated the constitution's gurantee of due process when it ordered the targeted killing of three United States citizens.

The groups filed the suit against top military and intelligence officials on behalf relatives of the three Americans who were killed in drone strikes in Yemen last fall.

NPR's Carrie Johnson filed this report for our Newscast unit:

"The three men were Anwar al-Awlaki, a cleric who allegedly played an operational role in al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula in Yemen, his 16-year-old son and Samir Khan a North Carolina man who allegedly served as a propagandist for terror groups.

"The American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights say the use of lethal force should be a last resort.

"But U.S. officials say the targeted killing program is limited to the most dangerous suspected terrorists."
In its press release, the ACLU explains:

"Outside of armed conflict, both the Constitution and international law prohibit killing without due process, except as a last resort to avert a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of death or serious physical injury. Even in the context of an armed conflict against an armed group (which did not exist in Yemen at the time of these killings), the government may use lethal force only against individuals who are directly participating in hostilities against the United States. Regardless of the context, whenever the government uses lethal force, it must take all possible steps to avoid harming civilian bystanders. The lawsuit argues that the senior CIA and military leaders who authorized and directed the killings violated these standards."
The ACLU has sued the government over drone strikes in the past. In 2010, the two groups along with al-Awlaki's father Nasser challenged his son's placement on the secret kill list.

As we reported, that case was dismissed based on two reasons. First, U.S. District Judge John Bates decided (pdf) that al-Awlaki's father did not have standing before the court, but he also ruled on something called the "political question," which requires judges to sidestep cases that are best resolved by the political branches of government.

This news also comes on heels of comments by a U.N. investigator who said the U.S. drone strikes may challenge international law.

The Obama administration has tried to get ahead of these lawsuits by offering their legal arguments in favor of the targeted killing program. In February, the Pentagon's top lawyer Jeh Johnson said the strikes are part of a "long-standing and long-legal practice."

As Carrie reported, Johnson compared the drone strikes to a "U.S. military decision to target an airplane carrying the commander of the Japanese Navy in 1943."

A month later in a speech at Northwestern University Law School, Attorney General Eric Holder went deeper into the legal thinking, specifically taking on the issue of killing Americans. Holder said U.S. citizens who take arms against their own country deserve and receive due process under the Constitution.

But Holder explained that due process does not mean judicial process. He explained:

"Some have argued that the President is required to get permission from a federal court before taking action against a United States citizen who is a senior operational leader of al Qaeda or associated forces. This is simply not accurate. 'Due process' and 'judicial process' are not one and the same, particularly when it comes to national security. The Constitution guarantees due process, not judicial process.

"That is not to say that the Executive Branch has – or should ever have – the ability to target any such individuals without robust oversight. Which is why, in keeping with the law and our constitutional system of checks and balances, the Executive Branch regularly informs the appropriate members of Congress about our counterterrorism activities, including the legal framework, and would of course follow the same practice where lethal force is used against United States citizens."
The ACLU argues that the three killings took place "based on vague legal standards, a closed executive process, and evidence never presented to the courts."

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:28 am
@Foofie,
Not sure what point you're trying to make Foof. Are you calling me a good or bad father? In any case my daughter has developed a healthy interest in politics.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:48 am
@Foofie,
izzythepush wrote:

She's just turned 20.
Foofie wrote:

I did the maths, from your earlier post. In my opinion,
being a good father is much more important than any political interests.

In you old age, only a child can make one feel that one's life was worth living, in my opinion.
I take a different vu.
I enjoyed my life; that 's what counts, in my opinion.
I 'm very glad to have no kids.
I have no way of knowing whether we 'd have gotten along well.

There is too much domestic strife in the world.
From that, I remain immune.

David
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:34 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks for getting us back on track.

It would be a difficult case to argue in an American court for the defense.
It may be even more difficult in an International one.

Joe(First, let's try Bush/Chaney)Nation
oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:39 am
@Lustig Andrei,
NPR wrote:
In its press release, the ACLU explains:

"Even in the context of an armed conflict against an armed group (which did not exist in Yemen at the time of these killings), the government may use lethal force only against individuals who are directly participating in hostilities against the United States."

The ACLU is being silly. There is very much an armed conflict, and Anwar al-Awlaki was very much a combatant.
0 Replies