Obama wins!!! Obama Care is legal!!!

roger

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes, we do. States, at least, still have property taxes, and if that isn't a tax on wealth, what would be?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:40 pm
@snood,
Like you love to forego ideoligical rants for policy wonk specifics? Cool

Actually this is a problem for Romney and Republicans, to the extent they have to come up with a coherent alternative, and soon.

Democrats were quite clever in making sure that the few goodies of ObamaCare went into effect immediately while postponing the crushing blow until after the election.

Be that as it may, people like the candy they were handed and Republicans are either going to have to take it away from them or find a way to let them keep it.

I've no doubt they will do the latter.

Except for most of the folks sent to Washington by the Tea Party, the Old Hands of the GOP really have no problem adopting Progressive policy as long as they can brand it Republican.

No matter what they do, you can bet they will not take the candy away.

What they need to do now is to fashion a policy that will somehow appease Tea Partiers and Americans with sweet teeth.

Not so easy.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:41 pm
@roger,
The estate tax is a tax on wealth. Property taxes are paid by everyone including those who rent so it doesn't feel much like a wealth tax
roger

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:46 pm
@engineer,
Yeah, I forgot estate taxes. So property taxes don't feel like a wealth tax, except to those who pay directly. By the same token, a VAT wouldn't feel like a tax because you don't actually see it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Needle away, finn. Since you alienate more people than you persuade I feel like you are an ally more than foe.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The Rich get more welfare than the poor ever got or ever will get.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sure I alienate quite a few of my fellow A2K members since this is a forum overrun by Progressives, but you have no idea how I affect people outside of this realm, and, unlike you, I make no lofty claims to any such ability.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Keep telling yourself that edgar. I don't think you need to, to believe it, but I'm sure it enhances your sense of personal righteousness.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:41 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Federal taxes are only evil when they are used to take from someone who has earned their money and give to those that haven't earned it.

I am so tired of that meme. You people don't even understand it but, boy, it sounds good to a bunch of idiots.

And then in your next paragraph you whine about people earning the tax money.

SS won't be bankrupt in your lifetime.
By the way. SS currently has assets of $2.5 Trillion.
Income tax has a debt of $14 Trillion

So, tell us why we are cutting income taxes while arguing we need to cut SS?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:27 am
@parados,
You know what I'm really tired of?

Liberal clowns who toss "meme" around like confetti because it was coined by their favorite atheist, or spouted by an Alpha Lib at whose feet they piss (the works of whom most of them have never read).
Rockhead

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:35 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
you're still not getting laid, huh finny.

you're mighty full of self-righteous bile this morning...

you should ask your doctor for some valium.

or something that would make you less of an asshole...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:05 am
@Rockhead,
See my assessment of you on the other thread...bird shitter
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 05:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm sure I alienate quite a few of my fellow A2K members since this is a forum overrun by Progressives, but you have no idea how I affect people outside of this realm, and, unlike you, I make no lofty claims to any such ability.

To you I seem to make lofty claims. All I did was commit to add my presence to the presence of the other millions that desperately do not want a repeat of the GW Bush **** ups. If I remain silent, I do nothing, especially since I live in a state that "thinks" like their governor. Every liberal voice, especially coming in greater numbers has much more force. So, **** off.
revelette

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 07:34 am
Quote:
New polls show a surge of enthusiasm among Democratic voters in the wake of last week’s Supreme Court decision upholding much of the Affordable Care Act and greater voter confidence in President Obama’s healthcare policies than rival Mitt Romney.

Fifty-nine percent of Democratic registered voters said they were very enthusiastic about voting this year, up from only 46 in March, in a new CNN/ORC poll released Monday and conducted after the landmark court ruling.

That massive spike in enthusiasm however was not matched on the GOP side. Republican enthusiasm has remained steady at 51.

And despite most polls showing Obama’s healthcare law to be unpopular, voters say Obama would do a better job on healthcare than GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney by 51 to 44 percent.

Those findings matched the results in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll also released Monday. In that poll voters also view Romney less favorably on healthcare.

Just 30 percent in that poll say they hold a favorable view of Romney’s healthcare policies, with 47 percent negative. Twenty-three percent say they are undecided.

Obama’s ratings on healthcare are also underwater, with 45 percent favorable and 48 unfavorable, but by a smaller margin than Romney.

The poll also finds the public evenly split on the healthcare law following the court’s ruling, a gain for backers of the provisions.

Forty-three percent see the law favorably overall with 42 percent holding an unfavorable view. Before the ruling, an ABC/Post poll taken last week showed a 36 percent positive view of the law with a 52 percent negative.

Further adding to Romney’s concerns, independent voters prefer Obama’s healthcare reforms by 12 points over Romney. Thirty-eight percent of independent voters view Obama’s healthcare policies positively, with 26 percent showing support for Romney’s.

Even with his own base, Romney has a greater challenge convincing them to embrace his policies. 62 percent of Republicans give Romney positive marks on healthcare, while Obama gets a positive score from 80 percent of Democrats.

In the wake of the court’s ruling, Romney’s campaign has muddled their message, splitting with Republicans who argue that the individual mandate provision is a tax, not a penalty.

Romney’s attempts to attack the president’s healthcare plan is complicated by his own healthcare reforms passed as Massachusetts governor, which Democrats say was the blueprint for their own federal reform effort. Romney though says he never intended for the Massachusetts reforms to be implemented nationally. The GOP candidate has pledged to undo the entire Affordable Care Act if elected.

The polls also show Romney holding close with Obama in the run up to the November vote.

The CNN/ORC poll also found that Romney has a sizeable lead in 15 key battleground states, but Obama holds a slim edge nationally.

Romney leads Obama 51 percent to 43 among likely voters surveyed in 15 states that will be critical in determining the outcome of the 2012 election.

Obama won 12 of these battleground states in 2008 - Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin – and will need to keep about half of those in 2012 if he’s to secure reelection. The poll also considered Missouri, Indiana and Arizona to be battleground states.

That’s good news for Romney, showing he has a base of support in those states, but CNN’s swing state data comes with some caveats. It’s a blanket poll of 534 registered voters in those 15 states, so it’s no indication of which candidate leads in an individual state, or by how much.

Obama holds a slim lead over Romney nationally, 49 to 46, which is within the poll’s margin of error, and unchanged from the same poll in May.

The CNN poll of 1,390 registered voters across the country, and 534 registered voters in 15 battleground states was conducted between June 28 and July 1 and has a 2.5 percent margin of error.

The ABC/Washington Post poll was conducted from June 28 to July 1has a 4 point margin of error.

source
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 07:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
....Yawn.....
Baldimo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:41 am
@edgarblythe,
Please prove this. I hear it all the time, but it seems to be part of the class warfare scheme used by the left.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:44 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Please prove this. I hear it all the time, but it seems to be part of the class warfare scheme used by the left.

Romney wrote off over 77 thousand dollars of expenses on his taxes last year for his wife's show horse. More than most people's salary, as a tax deduction, for a totally optional toy that they dance around with.

He did so, because he can afford to pay lawyers to find every trick in the book. That's why he pays a lower rate of taxes than YOU do on millions of dollars of income. If that's not welfare, I don't know what is.

Cycloptichorn
Baldimo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So he claims a tax dedication on his taxes and that's welfare? You guys are so twisted in your thoughts. See what I mean by class warfare? Tax deductions based off of money he makes isn't welfare, that is a tax deduction.

Welfare is taking from those who make money and giving to those who do not make money.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

So he claims a tax dedication on his taxes and that's welfare?

Yup. He is basically getting paid by you and I to own his horse. There's no real difference between that and paying for some guy's life in the ghetto.

Quote:
You guys are so twisted in your thoughts. See what I mean by class warfare? Tax deductions based off of money he makes isn't welfare, that is a tax deduction.

But, it's not based off of money he makes. It's him manipulating the system to claim a business loss.

Quote:
Welfare is taking from those who make money and giving to those who do not make money.

That's basically what happened here with Romney. You are simply splitting hairs, because you like one guy who manipulates the system to get free money and don't like the other guy.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:07 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yes, we do. States, at least, still have property taxes, and if that isn't a tax on wealth, what would be?

A tax on wealth would be an actual tax on Wealth - you would pay a percentage of your total wealth in taxes every year instead of your total income. It's a completely different idea than property taxes.

Cycloptichorn