Obama wins!!! Obama Care is legal!!!

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I am happy the Supremes did not overturn Obama care. Even if I were slightly against it I would not like those judges to take it on themselves to negate a lawful function of lawmakers. My only reservation is, it does not go far enough, not enough like the Canada model.

I wrote the above earlier today. I have about decided I have to get on board with Obama, because he is better than having a Republican in office. But, beginning in January -

Can't tell you how pleased I am to hear that, Edgar.

Cycloptichorn

Me, too ed. Dunno why, but when you said you'd never vote for him, it got me.
I guess because over the years your opinion actually matters to me.

As for our choices come November, Obama sometimes says something to the effect of "Don't compare me to the Almighty, compare me to the alternative."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I will begin bitching again after the election.

I hope so! And for good reason. We all need to work harder to hold Dems accountable than we have for the last two years; and, there are other ways to do so besides simply not voting for them. I think that pressure put on by engaged constituents really does matter.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:28 pm
President Biden, in just over four years, will get some of the same.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dunno if that will ever happen. I just can't see him winning the nomination.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I bet he goes after it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:33 pm
@snood,
I appreciate it, snood. You have become important to me here also. You always say it as you see it, no matter what.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:15 pm
I don't think Joe Biden is really respected by considerable numbers in the party. I don't see them coalescing behind him as the nominee.
Eva

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:21 pm
@snood,
Nor do I.

Yes, I think Biden will go for it, but I'd give Hillary Clinton a much better chance.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:30 pm
@snood,
The nominee to what? VP or the next nominee for pres? Biden is the only connection that Obama has to Congress. do you think Hillary has that connection?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 05:40 pm
More often than not, a VP has a good shot at the nomination.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 05:43 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

The nominee to what? VP or the next nominee for pres? Biden is the only connection that Obama has to Congress. do you think Hillary has that connection?

A "connecton" with congress doesn't mean they regard him as possible president. That's what I mean - I think Biden is taken kind of lightly in a way that Hillary just isn't.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
But, will you, pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top, WORK for the campaign??

Joe(I'm in two groups in Washington Heights)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:50 pm
@Joe Nation,
Most of my work for Obama will be on line and between me and family and friends. I don't have the resources to go canvass neighborhoods and attend meetings. That takes energy and money I don't have. My job keeps me pretty tired and on call during the night.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 04:01 am
@edgarblythe,
I am not a Obama fan but considering the opposition I would vote in its shallowest shadow if I were American...as I see it most Europeans and all the sane world around agree with me...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 08:44 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Jun. 29, 2012
Health care law’s mandate unlikely to affect many people
By Tony Pugh | McClatchy Newspapers

Despite all the spin and punditry about the national health care law’s mandate that Americans buy health insurance or pay a penalty, the vast majority wouldn’t be forced to buy anything or pay any penalty.

A recent study by the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan research center that focuses on economic and social policy, found that if the law had been fully implemented last year, 93 percent of the population under age 65 wouldn’t have faced a penalty or had to buy insurance under the mandate.

In fact, only 6 percent of Americans, about 18 million people, would have to “newly purchase” insurance under the law, the study found. And of this group, roughly 11 million would be eligible for subsidies to help buy their coverage from new insurance marketplaces, or “exchanges,” created by the law.

The remaining 7 million, about 2 percent of the total population and 3 percent of all Americans under age 65, wouldn’t receive any financial help and could face penalties for lacking coverage, said Linda Blumberg, a health economist and senior fellow in the Urban Institute’s Health Policy Center.

This relatively thin sliver of Americans who’d be required to pay for full coverage belies the dominant public perception that the mandate would be a financial strain for wide swaths of the population.

“That was one of the reasons we wanted to do this study, because we felt like the real impact was being blow out of proportion,” said Blumberg, who was the lead researcher on the study.

A closer look at numbers shows that 87.4 million of the 268.8 million Americans under age 65 would be exempt from the mandate because they’re illegal immigrants, have incomes below the law’s tax-filing threshold or can’t get coverage because the premiums would eat up too much of their income.

Nearly 75 percent of this group – 63.4 million – already have coverage, while 24 million do not. Blumberg said these 24 million comprised 7.3 million illegal immigrants, 14.3 million people whose incomes are below the tax-filing threshold and 2.4 million people who can’t get affordable coverage.

That leaves 181 million Americans under age 65 who could be subject to the mandate, Blumberg said. But 86 percent of this group, 155 million people, already have coverage.

“So they’re not going to be subject to any penalty. They don’t have to change anything that they’re doing,” Blumberg said. “Some of them have public coverage already, some of them are buying coverage on their own, some of them are in employer-based insurance.”

That leaves 26 million non-elderly people who are uninsured and potentially subject to the penalty.

Of this group, 8 million are low-income people who’d be eligible for free coverage under Medicaid. Nearly 11 million others probably would get federal subsidies to buy coverage on the insurance exchanges, “so they wouldn’t have to pay the full freight, but they would have to pay something in order to avoid a penalty,” Blumberg said.

The remaining 7 million “would not be eligible for financial assistance and if they wanted to avoid the penalty, they would have to buy coverage with their own cash,” Blumberg said.

Blumberg’s estimates reflect the participation of all states in the expanded Medicaid coverage envisioned under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. But the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that states don’t have to expand their Medicaid programs as the law originally required.

If, as expected, some states choose not to increase their Medicaid enrollment as result of the high court’s decision, Blumberg’s estimates could look dramatically different, with some of the 8 million people projected to get free Medicaid coverage moving instead into the group of nearly 11 million who are eligible for subsidized care.

In his majority decision, Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. suggested that the law’s penalties for not obtaining coverage may not be enough to compel the uninsured to purchase it.

“Some people will definitely pay the penalty instead,” Blumberg acknowledged. “But I think people would also like to spend their money and get something in return, rather than spending it and getting nothing in return, which is what the penalty is.”

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 03:57 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thank Goodness, that you're not American then.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 04:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I have not yet begun to fight.

Conservatives across the land are shaking in their python cowboy boots!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 04:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I have not yet begun to fight.

I just think we'll have a much better chance of seeing the goals we want forwarded, actually being forwarded, under Obama in a second term than under Romney.

Cycloptichorn

Ya think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 04:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Fundamentalists can never be swayed by facts and reason. It's the swing voters I care about.
snood

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 04:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Fundamentalists can never be swayed by facts and reason. It's the swing voters I care about.

Yeah, I just had a conversation yesterday about how the various partisan media outlets basically just preach to the already converted.

The ones who will decide the race are the independents. That's why the millions spent on advertising - those hacky commercials have been shown to affect the independent electorate.