Obama wins!!! Obama Care is legal!!!

Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:33 am
Congrats to you all..

This made me laugh.. Don't they know we have what they're running from?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/people-moving-to-canada-because-of-obamacare
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:43 am
@Ceili,
Nancy Pelosi on Affordable Care Act ruling: ‘Now, Teddy can rest’
By Ed O’Keefe and Rosalind S. Helderman

The Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the constitutionality of the Democratic health-care law might be a victory for President Obama. But it's definitely a win for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who invested more personal capital in getting the law passed than perhaps any other individual.

Her aides said Pelosi learned of the court’s decision as she was wrapping up a meeting in the Capitol Visitors Center, aides said. Upon returning to her office, she placed phone calls to President Obama, Vice President Biden and Vicki Kennedy, the widow of former Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), a longtime advocate for health-care reform.

Aides said Pelosi left messages for Obama and Biden and told Vicki Kennedy: “Now, Teddy can rest.”

Pelosi also called her husband, Paul, and told him: “Sweetie, we won!”

She then left her office for a Democratic caucus meeting to review the ruling. Aides noted that she is wearing a pair of “lucky purple pumps” today that she wore on March 21, 2010, the day Congress passed the Affordable Care Act.

On her way to the meeting, aides said Pelosi ran into Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), a close friend.

“What a great victory!” Pelosi told Miller as they embraced.

“You bet your ass [it is],” Miller said in reply.

“I did,” Pelosi said, as they both laughed.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:50 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Obama Responds To Supreme Court Health Care Ruling
6/28/2012 12:32 pm

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama praised the Supreme Court's 5-4 decision that his signature health care law was constitutional Thursday, calling the ruling "a victory for people all over this country."

"The highest court in the land has now spoken. We will continue to implement this law," he said, speaking to cameras in the East Room of the White House. "With today's announcement it is time for us to move forward, to implement and when necessary improve on this law."

The ruling is a huge win and a big relief for the administration, which spent 18 months and heavy political capital pushing health care reform through Congress. The president has had other achievements on the domestic and foreign policy fronts, but it's fair to say that the passage of the Affordable Care Act was at the top of his list of accomplishments. That the court upheld the law's constitutionality was almost as momentous as the law's passage in the first place.

The political fallout from the ruling seems clear. Congressional Republicans and the party's presumptive presidential nominee Mitt Romney have pledged to replace the law with a new set of reforms. And in the immediate aftermath of the decision, they reaffirmed their pledge to wipe the law off the books following the 2012 elections.

The president, for his part, used his address to detail the policy prescriptions within the law -- an implicit recognition that the administration has done a poor job selling it to date.

"It should be pretty clear that I didn't do this because it's good politics," Obama said. "I did it because it's good for the country."

The president also addressed the court's decision to uphold the most controversial component of the bill, the individual mandate, arguing that it was essential to making the rest of the reforms work. He acknowledged that he himself had once opposed the idea, only to come around. The president added that conservatives, including Romney, had supported the concept in the past.

"We ultimately included a provision in the Affordable Care Act that people who could afford to buy health insurance should take the opportunity to do so," he said.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:36 am
Didn't Obama tell us this wan't a tax?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:53 am
@Baldimo,
Wasn't it the Supreme Court who decided this was a tax?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:11 pm
I feel as we should all stick to one thread on this but anyway,

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

Quote:
The most straightforward reading of the individual mandate is thatit commands individuals to purchase insurance. But, for the reasons explained, the Commerce Clause does not give Congress that power.It is therefore necessary to turn to the Government’s alternative argument: that the mandate may be upheld as within Congress’s power to “lay and collect Taxes.” Art. I, §8, cl. 1. In pressing its taxingpower argument, the Government asks the Court to view the mandate as imposing a tax on those who do not buy that product.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:18 pm
Yes! And it was the Chief Justice who was the swing vote!

This is an important ruling for the future of health care in the U.S. I now look forward to the day when all Americans have affordable health care and won't live with the fear that a chronic, or long-term, or catastrophic illness will bankrupt them financially or cause them to go without needed medical treatment because of lack of coverage.

It is a major accomplishment for Obama. And somewhere, Teddy Kennedy must be smiling. But it's really a victory for the health of our citizens.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:09 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yee-flippin-haw!!!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:10 pm
Thanks, Justice Roberts, you weasel.

Quote:
The Framers created a Federal Government of limited
powers, and assigned to this Court the duty of enforcing
those limits. The Court does so today. But the Court does
not express any opinion on the wisdom of the Affordable
Care Act. Under the Constitution, that judgment is reserved to the people.
(The last few lines of his opinion. )

Hey, we didn't ask you, nor do we ever, to rule on the wisdom of a law, just it's Constitutionality, which you are only occasionally able to do, last week's overturning of Montana's Campaign Financing Act is a good example of your wisdom being wrong.

Just call the balls and strikes as you said you would in your appearances before the Judiciary Committee.

"No opinion on the wisdom..."? Good, keep it that way.

Joe(warmest regards)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:17 pm
And this makes me really smile a very wide smile.

http://www.salon.com/2012/06/28/conservatives_turn_on_roberts/

They haven't read the arguments and they haven't read the opinion.
The Government's argument was two-prong. Roberts found one of them Constitutional.

Imagine. They haven't read the arguments and they haven't read the opinion.

Yet they are still spewing what they think are thoughts.

Joe(idiots)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:20 pm
Roberts is now CINO, conservative in name only. They'll git 'im, by gum!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:30 pm
@Joe Nation,
The fools don't realize that Justice Roberts really takes his job seriously--and that means he may not always be on their political side of the fence in his rulings and opinions.

I've suddenly acquired renewed regard for Roberts.
snood

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 04:29 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

The fools don't realize that Justice Roberts really takes his job seriously--and that means he may not always be on their political side of the fence in his rulings and opinions.

I've suddenly acquired renewed regard for Roberts.

I think of Bush v. Gore and Citizen's United and I know that for me, it's gonna take a lot more "justice" to restore my regard for this activist supreme court.

You may think that Roberts is some kind of even-handed umpire of balls and strikes, but I think that the way public opinion of the court has deteriorated in the last decade had some sway over them not killing Obamacare. I know there's disagreement about this, but I certainly don't think that the court is NOT cognizant of, and sensitive to the way they are perceived.
firefly

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 04:51 pm
@snood,
I also think the Solicitor General, Donald B. Verrilli, Jr., presented a very good argument in favor of viewing the mandate as a tax--and Roberts was persuaded by it.

At this point I take any sign that the Justices don't vote solely along partisan lines as a ray of hope. I saw that flicker from Chief Justice Roberts today, and I am grateful for it, particularly regarding this piece of legislation.
firefly

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:27 pm
@snood,
Quote:

The New York Times
June 28, 2012, 11:32 am
Ruling Likely to Prompt Re-evaluation of Roberts
By ETHAN BRONNER

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. surprised many on Thursday by providing the crucial fifth vote for upholding President Obama's health care law. To those on the left who viewed him as an ideologue eager to pull the court to the right, the ruling will begin a re-examination of Chief Justice Roberts's style and legacy, as it will for those on the right who considered the law unconstitutional and relied on him to make that point.

Many scholars have said that Chief Justice Roberts is seeking to balance his own conservatism with his desire to build faith in the law and the nation's legal institutions. But it was still striking to hear the chief justice, who was appointed to the court in 2005 by President George W. Bush, announce the upholding of the central legislative pillar of the Obama administration. He has said that he has wanted to restore the court's reputation and reduce partisan language. But he was seen by many, at least on the left, as more devoted to conservative politics than to the purity of the law. That could change.

"This could be a huge day in the evolution of Chief Justice Roberts as a great chief justice," said Laurence H. Tribe, a liberal law professor from Harvard. Mr. Tribe, who taught Mr. Roberts, said he had not opposed his nomination because he believed Mr. Roberts was less of an ideologue than many had charged. "I have some sense of gratification," he said.

In the past, especially on campaign finance law but also on other socially sensitive issues like abortion and affirmative action, Chief Justice Roberts has not shied away from leading a conservative redraft of established law, causing some to accuse him of judicial activism.

But in this case, by referring to Congress's power to impose a tax rather than a mandate, Chief Justice Roberts used the Obama administration's backup argument about what makes the health care law constitutional.

If Mr. Bush ends up ruing the day he chose Mr. Roberts to lead the court, he would not be the first former president to do so. Mr. Bush's father appointed Justice David H. Souter, who ended up as a mainstay of the court's liberal wing. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was said to have called his appointments of Chief Justice Earl Warren and Justice William J. Brennan Jr. as two of his biggest mistakes.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/a-re-examination-of-roberts-legacy/?hp
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:41 pm
@firefly,
Didn't Obama tell us it wasn't a tax? I will keep asking this because he told us it wasn't a tax, then Solicitor General went to the SC and said it was a tax. So why did Obama have to lie about it? He pulled the old bait and switch. Its good to know you support a liar when he is on your side.

So whats next on the purchase list? The Dems were able to outlaw regular light bulbs and now we have to purchase full health insurance (to include things we don't need coverage on).

Electric cars? Solar Panels? Gym memberships? All of these things are good for us, and would be cheaper if we all had to have them, so how much longer till we see a list of things Obama is going to make us purchase for our own good?
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:51 pm
What I think is a interesting perspective of this heathcare ruling is that the people screaming and stomping their feet are the same people...REPUBLICANS...who tried to get the same mandatory healthcare law passed in the 90's and were unsuccessful...democrats blocked it...its all crazy...******* crazy! Just happy that today america is a step closer to being a nation that recognizes that lack of healthcare creates unsuccessful people...and therefore nation...we are broken...but the pieces are being picked up and repaired...slowly...but surely..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:55 pm
Now that we have it, congress and the president will hopefully tweak it a bit as time goes on, until it becomes a system we can truly be proud of.
Irishk

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:55 pm
http://mlkshk.com/r/H68D
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
The interesting thing was that Id been hearing from Constitutional lawyers for the last several months that it would be upheld just because the "commerce clause " reference was the incorrect assignment, it was Congress's power to "tax" that was inplay. Seems that everyone exce[t the public knew this simple fact and having Roberst present it was a stroke of genius.

Now you MUST vote for Obama Edgar>

I was afraid that, with the mandate overturned, there would be several other progrqms that come into play, likeSS SSI, and Medicare,