Obama wins!!! Obama Care is legal!!!

revelette

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:12 pm
@snood,
Quote:
The ones who will decide the race are the independents. That's why the millions spent on advertising - those hacky commercials have been shown to affect the independent electorate.

I don't know why, but I always those mysterious independents voters were cynical people who basically don't believe what anybody says.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Haven't we heard for the last few years that these were just Tax Cuts? They stopped calling them Bush tax cuts for rich, when everyone found out that they applied to everyone. So taking out the tax cuts, raises everyone's taxes, not just the rich.

What is it with you people? Why is it you think you have the right to money other people earn?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:33 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Haven't we heard for the last few years that these were just Tax Cuts? They stopped calling them Bush tax cuts for rich, when everyone found out that they applied to everyone. So taking out the tax cuts, raises everyone's taxes, not just the rich.

What is it with you people? Why is it you think you have the right to money other people earn?

Because we do have that right. We, of course, being the nation as a whole. It's called the Social Contract, read up on it.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:35 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Why is it you think you have the right to money other people earn?

...said every person with wealth, ever, in the history of the world, to every government, ever, in the history of the world. Why do you hate the United States?

Why is it you think you have the right to police and firefighters? We should all have to carry insurance, and those policies checked, before we receive help from the service provider that holds the contract with our insurance company! All roads should be toll roads! Pollution, smellution! I own the land, I should be able to dump whatever I want!
Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
@DrewDad,
@Cyc: Care to produce this Social Contract you are refering to? Does it say you can continue to tax the rich to provide programs for everyone? I don't object to taxes, but to continue to claim a right to someone else's earnings isn't right.

@Drew: I hate the US, because I don't think they should be taxing the rich as a penalty? Policemen and Fireman are a local issue, not a Federal issue and the money for local issues shouldn't be provided by the Federal Govt.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:59 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

@Cyc: Care to produce this Social Contract you are refering to? Does it say you can continue to tax the rich to provide programs for everyone?

Sure does. You're talking about the philosophical foundations which underpin our modern, free society. I can boil it down for you, though: you don't get somefin' for nuffin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

Make sure you read this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Social_contract_rousseau_page.jpg/200px-Social_contract_rousseau_page.jpg

Quote:
I don't object to taxes, but to continue to claim a right to someone else's earnings isn't right.

It is, in fact, right. You get something from your taxes - the continued operation and security of the country that allows you to have any wealth whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn
Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't believe this is in the Constitution. Your contract is meaningless unless part of US law. There is no official Social Contract it's a concept.

This was posted on the link you provided: "The Lockean concept of the social contract was invoked in the United States Declaration of Independence."

I can have any amount of wealth I want, until the govt decides that it needs the money more then I do.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 11:17 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I don't believe this is in the Constitution. Your contract is meaningless unless part of US law. There is no official Social Contract it's a concept.

Laughing

You're swimming in deep waters here, friend.

Quote:
This was posted on the link you provided: "The Lockean concept of the social contract was invoked in the United States Declaration of Independence."

I can have any amount of wealth I want, until the govt decides that it needs the money more then I do.

That's correct. And even then, you STILL can have any amount of wealth you want. We don't tax Wealth in this country (more's the pity), we tax income and transactions.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
@Drew: I hate the US, because I don't think they should be taxing the rich as a penalty? Policemen and Fireman are a local issue, not a Federal issue and the money for local issues shouldn't be provided by the Federal Govt.

You're a riot. Taxes are now penalties. Federal taxes are evil, but state and local taxes are A-OK! What has the Federal government ever done for you, other than provide infrastructure, power, defense, disaster relief, Social Security, Medicare, safe food, safe water, safe drugs...
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm
@Baldimo,
I don't want everybody's money. Just yours and the rest of the right wingers. The left can have it all free of charge.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:39 pm
@DrewDad,
According the our govt, the tax/penalty for not owning insurance is indeed a penalty and a tax.

Federal taxes are only evil when they are used to take from someone who has earned their money and give to those that haven't earned it.

Last I checked, I was paying for my freeways in the form of several different taxes, and the roads are still ****, and it takes them forever to build a road. I would be more open for infrastructure spending, but not if that spending comes in the form of paying for union workers. The costs are to high and the work isn't done any better then it would be done by non-union workers.

Power? The US govt provides my power? I thought I paid my bill to Xcel not the feds.

Defense I will agree with, but unlike some, I actually served my country so I helped in the defense.

Social Security: You think it's going to be there when I am able to collect? As of right now, the only this SS does is lower my take home pay. SS is likely going to be bankrupt by the time I can collect, I hope you enjoy your SS, because I won't get it.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:48 pm
@Baldimo,
As usual, you're just making stuff up as it suits you.

You said, "taxing the rich as a penalty." I assume you're talking about the tax hike in the health care act, which raises taxes on high earners by .9%.

That's a tax, but I fail to see how it's a penalty.

Keep peddling your bullshit though; maybe you'll find someone dumb enough to buy it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:54 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Federal taxes are only evil when they are used to take from someone who has earned their money and give to those that haven't earned it.

Right. Like kids, who add nothing to our damned economy. Let the little bastards starve! What have they ever done for you?!?!?

(Republicans: Caring about kids from the moment of conception to the day they're born.)

Baldimo wrote:
Power? The US govt provides my power? I thought I paid my bill to Xcel not the feds.

You have heard of the Hoover Dam, right? You've heard of Rural Electrification? No? Maybe?

But you got yours, and damn everyone else, right?

Keep talking; every time you open your mouth, you convince someone of how morally bankrupt the Republican party is nowadays.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:59 pm
Quote:
Social Security: You think it's going to be there when I am able to collect? As of right now, the only this SS does is lower my take home pay. SS is likely going to be bankrupt by the time I can collect, I hope you enjoy your SS, because I won't get it.

I certainly think it will be there, and I'm likely younger than you.

... in large part because people like me will keep working to ensure it IS there. You're welcome.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I read a book in 1964 that predicted Social Security would fail in fifteen years. I have since learned it can only fail if we let somebody **** it up for us.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
yes. Like the Bush attempt to STRENGTHEN SOCIAL SECURITY by tying its funds (and the taxpayer's accounts) to the Stock Market. Yeah, that would have worked out pretty well for the brokers.

~~
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
You have heard of the Hoover Dam, right? You've heard of Rural Electrification? No? Maybe?

Not only that, but, Baldimo, do you think the grid just appeared out of no where one morning? There isn't a power line in this country that wasn't laid down or erected without government oversight, but hey, let's just let all that go.

Joe(That's the magic of thinking none of this is work)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't want everybody's money. Just yours and the rest of the right wingers. The left can have it all free of charge.

Heheheheheh . . .

Thanks EB, i enjoyed that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
And you're going to persuade them with your moderate positions on all things?

Good luck edgar.

snood

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And you're going to persuade them with your moderate positions on all things?

Good luck edgar.

Hey Finn,
I know how much you conservatives seem to hate specifics, but...
Can you tell me anything that your side plans to do to replace the healthcare insurance that will be gone for 30 million folks when (if) they "repeal and replace" Obamacare?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:28 pm
@DrewDad,
Considering that the "rich" pay the lion's share of the taxes collected by the government, if anyone deserves public services, it's them.

Your argument is utterly specious. Find me even one moderately serious conservative who is arguing that they should pay no taxes at all or that if an American can't afford to pay his or her fair share for services they should be cut off.