cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:43 pm
@revelette,
Does Romney understand politics at all? He believes he can lead the republican party to change their stance on abortion?

He's in the wrong party; they don't negotiate.

Decided by the Supreme Court? They already have; that's the reason Roe vs Wade is still legal in the US.

Quote:
Roe v. Wade is the historic Supreme Court decision overturning a Texas interpretation of abortion law and making abortion legal in the United States. The Roe v. Wade decision held that a woman, with her doctor, could choose abortion in earlier months of pregnancy without legal restriction, and with restrictions in later months, based on the right to privacy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:49 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
If people are too stupid to get health insurance for themselves, then they should do without.

Problem is the same as it's always been, in these instances: people don't just shut up and die quietly. They create massive social unrest in the process, which comes with its' own cost.

It's not that it's hard to believe that you expressed those views, but hard to believe you would be against comparisons to the British system, as it seems a pretty direct example of what you proposed.

What we REALLY need to do to get costs under control, is break the back of the AMA - a group who does more to ensure high health-care costs than almost anyone else.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
First you force everyone to get health insurance. Then you require the insurance companies to cover everything and everyone without regard to risk. Then to keep the insurers (or the government) from going bankrupt you force the doctors and hospitalsd to take less for their services. Then when the doctors, h9ospitals, medical researchers and drug/equipment manufacturers quit innovating or providing the most costly services, you have a government board abolish these modes of care or treatment, as unnecessary or not cost-productive for the population as a whole. Then when the doctors seek another profession and the hospitals close, what do you do next? Import medical providers from Pakistan as do the British???
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:51 pm
@georgeob1,
I always thought people went into the health care profession to take care of people, and not so much to become rich. My wife was an RN now retired, and now volunteers at the hospital.

I have a couple of (MD/DDS) nephews who volunteer their services in foreign countries. My brother (an Opthalmologist) used to volunteer his services quite frequently in Mexico when he was much younger.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:06 pm
@georgeob1,
George, are you insured? Are the rest of your family insured? Can you possibly relate to a medical situation where you or a loved one is sick and you can't get care because the free-market insurance system has deemed you a risk? This isn't a non-problem. It's very real and prevalent.
sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:07 pm
@JPB,
Yes. (One of those posts where just thumbs-upping it wasn't quite enough.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Are you seriously claiming that the current health insurance system encourages innovation?

Few insurers will pay for "experimental" treatments.

Innovative treatments come from smart people who want to create; they don't come from insurance companies.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:31 pm
@DrewDad,
Don't forget the university system, where a tremendous amount of research and innovation is found, funded mostly by our government.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:44 pm
@DrewDad,
That's really a funny conclusion; inventors will stop innovating because of ObamaCare?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:56 pm
A lot of that much touted big pharma research goes to designer drugs. Designed to bilk the public out of billions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I thought that was what I said. Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:44 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

George, are you insured? Are the rest of your family insured? Can you possibly relate to a medical situation where you or a loved one is sick and you can't get care because the free-market insurance system has deemed you a risk? This isn't a non-problem. It's very real and prevalent.

George is a former government employee and a long-time beneficiary of socialized health care. He's doing just fine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:49 am
@georgeob1,
I'm amazed anyone in Canada or Europe is alive by the way you carry on.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:38 am
@ehBeth,
I'm enjoying the ignorance displayed by the republicans blaming Obama for the high unemployment rate, and that Romney can fix that problem.

They evidently don't understand that a) there's a Great Recession that's impacted the world's economies, b) the bust in housing is still a handicap for our economy and consumer spending, c) the unemployment rate in Europe is worse than in the US, d) even China is suffering from lower demand for their goods, e) banks are still tight with their money, and f) Romney never provides detail on how he will improve our economy - other than giving more tax cuts to the wealthy.

It's amazing isn't it? They still can't accept the fact that this Great Recession was caused by one of "them." It's not just another recession; it's called the "Great Recession" for a reason.
jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I love how Mitt Romney moved all the states with a lot of Ron Paul delegates to the nosebleed seeds in the Forum and put delegations who ARENT EVEN STATES at the very front of the Forum close to the stage.

He is saying that Oklahoma is not nearly as important as Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Marianas, and American Samoa, only Puerto Rico can even qualify as being important enough to have that seat at the front (they are moving towards statehood). If you are watching the live coverage from the convention today, Ron Paul protesters are marching in downtown Tampa today, and his supporters inside the Forum are threatening a floor fight because of RNC rules that make it virtually impossible for any candidate other than the front runner to win any delegates in the future, and some delegates are threatening to walk off the floor and out of the Forum. Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:22 pm
@jcboy,
Nothing new! They shove their agenda down the throats of anybody that gets in their way.

jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Mass protest going on in Tampa. And its not on the streets. Its happening live right now inside the RNC itself , delegates are upset and shouting, angrily, and are completely disrupting the proceedings. This is about to get scary there.

Mitt Romney should be TERRIFIED!!!! Razz
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:24 pm
@jcboy,
are there any little children there?

I heard they were encouraging mothers (married, of course) to bring babies...
jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:27 pm
@Rockhead,
I saw a couple homely ones, must have been Romney's Cool
Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:29 pm
@jcboy,
I dunno.

I saw where somebody called Ryan handsome.

I had to go get the dictionary and see if there was a definition I was unaware of...