Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 05:52 pm
@sozobe,
Once more, Sozobe wrote my post for me before I did.

Unlike her, I was pro-Romney-ish a year or two ago. I would love the option to vote for reality-based, pragmatic Republicans, and he seemed to be one of them. But it turns out he's a slave of the Republican establishment's' lunatic fringe --- no, make that lunatic majority. Worse, he appears to like being their slave. Consequently, I have seriously cooled off about him since, leaving no difference between my view and Sozobe's.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 05:53 pm
I gotta say -
It does scream by its absence -
the lack of ANYone on the right making ANY positive case for Romney.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:06 pm
@snood,
Er - He's bipedal.
Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:07 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I'd be interested in reading any of someone's pro list for Romney.

I have learned from Paul Krugman that judging candidates works best if you ignore campaign rhetoric and look at their actual records, their actual policy proposals, and any overarching policy manifestos they might have written.
  • I kind of like Romney's record as governor of Massachusetts, where he helped introduce a universal-healthcare system that inspired Obamacare. Also, as Sozobe mentioned, he pursued reasonably liberal-ish policies on abortion and gay rights.
  • I have read, and somewhat liked, Romney's programmatic book No Apologies. He comes across as a reality-based, well-informed politician pursuing policies that are reasonably adapted to promoting the general welfare.
.
It's not a very long pro list. My con list would be longer. But you did ask for my pro list, so here you go.
snood
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Er - He's bipedal.


Heh.
But Ed - doesn't it say something that in all this time, no Republican or conservative - leaning person on A2K has mounted an argument that even TRIES to promote why Romney should be president. The BEST they seem to be able to manage is ever-more acidic attacks on Obama - where's their candidate's selling points?
snood
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:13 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
I'd be interested in reading any of someone's pro list for Romney.

I have learned from Paul Krugman that judging candidates works best if you ignore campaign rhetoric and look at their actual records, their actual policy proposals, and any overarching policy manifestos they might have written.
  • I kind of like Romney's record as governor of Massachusetts, where he helped introduce a universal-healthcare system that inspired Obamacare. Also, as Sozobe mentioned, he pursued reasonably liberal-ish policies on abortion and gay rights.
  • I have read, and somewhat liked, Romney's programmatic book No Apologies. He comes across as a reality-based, well-informed politician pursuing policies that are reasonably adapted to promoting the general welfare.
.
It's not a very long pro list. My con list would be longer. But you did ask for my pro list, so here you go.

Thanks, Thomas. I posted my last response before I read yours. At least you gave it a shot.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:20 pm
I feel that Romney, were he not beholden to the far right, might be a decent president. But, as has been pointed out already, he cannot act on his own without losing his supporters.
snood
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?
Foofie
 
  3  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:16 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foofie has told us his 'pro' for Romney on a number of threads.

Romney is a WASP.


Well, not exactly, since some WASP's do not consider Mormons as authentic Protestants. However, he does likely have the WASP lineage prior to Mormonism. I'll accept your verdict. Romney = WASP. WASP = Foofie's vote. Therefore, Romney = Foofie's vote. This logic is the old if A=B and B=C, then A=C from high school algebra.
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:17 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I gotta say -
It does scream by its absence -
the lack of ANYone on the right making ANY positive case for Romney.


It is how one defines "positive"!
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:19 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Er - He's bipedal.


Heh.
But Ed - doesn't it say something that in all this time, no Republican or conservative - leaning person on A2K has mounted an argument that even TRIES to promote why Romney should be president. The BEST they seem to be able to manage is ever-more acidic attacks on Obama - where's their candidate's selling points?


Some people just do not like what the Democratic Party seems to be these days.
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  3  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:21 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?


Can I really trust your position as just not reflecting eternal loyalty to the Democratic Party?
snood
 
  0  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:35 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

snood wrote:

On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?


Can I really trust your position as just not reflecting eternal loyalty to the Democratic Party?


Y'know, Foofie -
I never really even remember noticing anything you posted until about the last month or so, and since that time it seems you post nothing but smug, diversionary crap designed only to provoke and instigate. So after about a month of waiting for you to engage with any thoughtfulness or substance in any thread I'm reading, I've come to the conclusion that you are a perfect inductee to the ranks of those whose drivel I never have to bother to read.

So I'll put my last response to you in language I'm sure you will understand, and I say them with conviction...

Suck my big black ignore.
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:54 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?

Comparatively speaking. He would be more progressive than Bush, if less so than Obama. If he were free to pursue the policies such as improving on Obamacare, for instance, it would make him better than we otherwise expect.
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 08:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Foofie wrote:

snood wrote:

On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?


Can I really trust your position as just not reflecting eternal loyalty to the Democratic Party?


Y'know, Foofie -
I never really even remember noticing anything you posted until about the last month or so, and since that time it seems you post nothing but smug, diversionary crap designed only to provoke and instigate. So after about a month of waiting for you to engage with any thoughtfulness or substance in any thread I'm reading, I've come to the conclusion that you are a perfect inductee to the ranks of those whose drivel I never have to bother to read.

So I'll put my last response to you in language I'm sure you will understand, and I say them with conviction...

Suck my big black ignore.


I understood everything but your last sentence?

That aside, I think it was a perfectly valid point about whether one is so loyal to the Democratic party that his/her postings might need to be filtered through a prism, so to speak, to discern all the wavelengths of one's thoughts.

0 Replies
 
RABEL222
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:22 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
- His willingness to tell flat-out whoppers. He's still coasting on a reputation as a basically nice (if boring) guy, but he's been doing some really sleazy stuff on the stump. Not just standard tweaks and evasions but major misrepresentations, and repetitions of lies that have been proven to be lies.


He is a republican!
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 09:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

snood wrote:

On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?

Comparatively speaking. He would be more progressive than Bush, if less so than Obama. If he were free to pursue the policies such as improving on Obamacare, for instance, it would make him better than we otherwise expect.


But he says he's going to repeal it.

Cycloptichorn
parados
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 09:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:



But he says he's going to repeal it.

Cycloptichorn

That's probably just one of those "etch a sketch" statements.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

snood wrote:

On what do you base the opinion that sans his obligation to the wackadoodles he would be a good president ?

Comparatively speaking. He would be more progressive than Bush, if less so than Obama. If he were free to pursue the policies such as improving on Obamacare, for instance, it would make him better than we otherwise expect.


But he says he's going to repeal it.

Cycloptichorn

He actually took a definite stand? Missed it.
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:03 am
@snood,
Oh yeah, he's been on about that quite a bit. First thing I found:

Mitt Romney wrote:
Friday is the second anniversary of ObamaCare. It is past time to abolish the program, root and branch. The Supreme Court will soon have a crack at this; arguments about the program's constitutionality open before it next week. But whatever the justices decide in what is certain to be a landmark decision, the case against ObamaCare extends far beyond questions about its constitutionality. President Obama's program is an unfolding disaster for the American economy, a budget-busting entitlement, and a dramatic new federal intrusion into our lives.


http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-03-22/mitt-romney-health-reform-repeal-obamacare/53711598/1
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Why Romney Lost - Discussion by IRFRANK
Route to the sea. - Question by raprap
Two bad moments for Romney in second debate - Discussion by maxdancona
Romney vs. Big Bird - Discussion by maxdancona
Mitt Romney, the bane of Sesame Street - Discussion by DrewDad
It looks like it's Paul Ryan!!! - Discussion by maxdancona
Who will be Romney's running mate? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
When will Romney quit the race? - Discussion by edgarblythe
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Romney 2012?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/14/2019 at 09:13:42