What do You Make of Obama Pushing Hot Buttons Right Now?

parados

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:07 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Politics and elections get candidates to say things they normally would not.

Saying is one thing. Doing is another.

Obama is doing. Romney is saying. Which would you believe? A politician that does something or one that says something?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:08 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
I doubt he'll change his tune after the election. Why would he?

Cycloptichorn
If he truly is doing it just to get the votes then the answer should be rather obvious to you.

Well, I don't believe that he's doing either thing 'just to get the votes.' If it strategically helps him to get votes, by taking actions that he believes in at a certain time, well, that's politics. Nothing new there. But I have a hard time seeing him reverse his position on either matter, it wouldn't make any sense to do so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:30 am
@farmerman,
I've no real objection to the the gist of the Order, but whether or not the Congress is a "do-nothing" body, he doesn't have the authority to legislate (or advance his political agenda which is what this is all about) through executive fiat.

I've hear it argued by his supporters that this is simply a case of prosecutorial discretion, however such discretion is exercisable in individual cases, not in terms of broad classes of individuals.

I'm not familar with the full history of Executive Orders, but my feeling is that it has been abused by all presidents of relatively recent history.

Somehow Obama understood that he was limited by the constitution when pressed on why he hadn't made good on his promise of immigration law reform, and yet now, with an election looming ; in which he's going to need every vote he can get, the great constitutional scholar has forgotten his own lesson plans.

Similary, his top advisors don't have the authority to leak classified information to media outlets in an attempt to make their boss look butch.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@maxdancona,
If you're content with our leaders and law-makers making decisions based solely on how it effects their ability to remain in power, I can understand why you are a Democrat.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Similary, his top advisors don't have the authority to leak classified information to media outlets in an attempt to make their boss look butch.

Hahaha, gotta love the change in attitude on this one on the right side of the fence, since the Bush admin, in which top advisers orchestrated leaks to influence the media, let alone make Bush look 'butch.' Don't recall much hand-wringing about leaks from you back then.

Cycloptichorn
Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 12:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Valerie Plame...Valerie Plame Wilson .. anyone.. anyone..
parados

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If you're content with our leaders and law-makers making decisions based solely on how it effects their ability to remain in power, I can understand why you are a Democrat.

OMG... You made me snort.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:24 pm
@Ceili,
Are you seriously equating the leak of Plamme's working for the CIA with these recent leaks of top secret information about on-going covert operations?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:26 pm
@parados,
No, that was your body's involuntary reaction to having your head up you ass for so long a period of time.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Are you seriously equating the leak of Plamme's working for the CIA with these recent leaks of top secret information about on-going covert operations?

I don't know about Ceili, but I certainly am. And not just Plame's name, but a variety of top-secret information was intentionally leaked to the NYT, in order to build the case for war. Or have you conveniently written that out of your memory already?

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
At least I recognize both sides do it. You are the one suggesting only one side does.

I think you are confused about which side of an ass is up.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Any and all leaks of classified information are reprehensible and those doing the leaking should be more easily prosecuted when discovered.

Funny, but I don't recall that any attempt was made to prosecute Richard Armitage, Colin Powells ally in his struggle with the Bush Admin neo-cons, and the actual leaker of the info on Valerie Plamme.

I doubt that I've ever made light of or excused a leak of classified information,but perhaps you can find a post where I did.

It's a lame ass argument, in any case.

How conservatives may or may not have regarded past leaks of top secret information has zero impact on whether or not Obama's advisors should have leaked classified information on cyber-warfare capabilities, drone attack targeting, and the Osama bin Laden kill raid, or whether they should prosecuted when identified.

You're not making light or excusing these leaks, are you Cy?

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What information was leaked when it came to Iraq and Afghanistan? There was information released but it was released, not leaked. Remember the speech at the UN? Valarie Plame wasn't even an active agent, she had been on the sidelines for a few years when her name was "leaked". It was done as a side note to her requesting her husband be sent to investigate yellow cake.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Any and all leaks of classified information are reprehensible and those doing the leaking should be more easily prosecuted when discovered.

Funny, but I don't recall that any attempt was made to prosecute Richard Armitage, Colin Powells ally in his struggle with the Bush Admin neo-cons, and the actual leaker of the info on Valerie Plamme.

Hah! Armitage was only working on direct orders from Cheney and his chief of staff. You're a fool if you believe any differently.

Not only that, but the Bush administration was known for a series of very high-profile leaks throughout both terms. You were silent on the issue along with pretty much every other Republican here at A2K. The only reason it matters is that you are now a hypocrite, for acting as if this is anything new. It isn't.

Quote:
I doubt that I've ever made light of or excused a leak of classified information,but perhaps you can find a post where I did.

It's a lame ass argument, in any case.

How conservatives may or may not have regarded past leaks of top secret information has zero impact on whether or not Obama's advisors should have leaked classified information on cyber-warfare capabilities, drone attack targeting, and the Osama bin Laden kill raid, or whether they should prosecuted when identified.

Meh. I don't think any of that matters at all. None of it was exactly secret or monumental.

Quote:
You're not making light or excusing these leaks, are you Cy?

Yes, I'm doing exactly that: making light of it, and making fun of you.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:46 pm
@parados,
So you acknowledge your head's forever up your ass.

Good for you parados-you're an honest man.

I suppose the fact that both "sides" are guilty of leaks somehow excuses these.

Now that you've acknowledged your problem, let's see if we can get that head of yours unstuck from deep inside your rectum. I'm even hopeful that surgery will not be necessary.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm saying it's pretty typical of the American government. Regardless of who was or wasn't charged or who is in the Whitehouse. And you all had the gall to jail soldiers and others who've leaked info... Wikileaks? Please. They pale in comparison.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well there isn't a national security expert on earth that would equate the two, but then you're not just a partisan hack, you're an expert partisan hack.

Refresh my memory,what top secret information was leaked to the Times, in the run-up to the Iraq war that was favorable to the Bush Admin's position?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:54 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

What information was leaked when it came to Iraq and Afghanistan? There was information released but it was released, not leaked.

LOL

Quote:
Remember the speech at the UN? Valarie Plame wasn't even an active agent, she had been on the sidelines for a few years when her name was "leaked". It was done as a side note to her requesting her husband be sent to investigate yellow cake.

You're bullshitting us, right? I mean, this can't be serious.

You guys have really edited the whole sordid event right out of your minds, haven't you?

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well there isn't a national security expert on earth that would equate the two, but then you're not just a partisan hack, you're an expert partisan hack.

Refresh my memory,what top secret information was leaked to the Times, in the run-up to the Iraq war that was favorable to the Bush Admin's position?

How about everything that Judith Miller wrote???? That they then turned around and quoted as support building in the media for the war?

You guys are killing me here, love it

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 05:11 pm
@Ceili,
That something of a revisionist explanation, but OK, let's go with it.

You know what? I sort of agree with you.

Pvt Manning should be prosecuted, but so should anyone who divulges classified information...including whomever among Obama's advisors is responsible for these latest leaks.

If you think the Canadian government is incapable of political cover-ups then your a bigger chauvinist than I previously imagined.