What do You Make of Obama Pushing Hot Buttons Right Now?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
96% of the blacks voted Obama in 2008, that is a solid block. Obama has much more downside by Blacks staying home than he has upside by Hispanics coming out. One has to wonder why he seems to be doing nothing to try to convince blacks to make the trip this year, in fact is pissing on their cultural sensitives with his pro gay stance. Does he think that they will do it just to keep a black guy in the chair, a guy who has over almost 4 years done little to nothing for them??
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:47 pm
He won in 2008 based on charisma, which he no longer has. He can't run on his record, which is, IMO abysmal. So, as someone has mentioned on this thread, he is grasping at straws, coming out with stances that he thinks people want to hear.

To quote old Will Shakespeare, "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I'm in a real pickle. Don't much care for Romney, but I think that he has the wherewithal to get the economy on track. To me, that is the top priority.

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:50 pm
Quote:
Two weeks ago it was homosexual rights, this week it is amnesty for illegal immigrants.....what does this mean to you?

The age range is 16-30 years and the applicant must be a high school graduate.
But, how many 16 year old Hispanics have graduated from high school? Isn't 18 years the usual age for most American students?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

One has to wonder why he seems to be doing nothing to try to convince blacks to make the trip this year, in fact is pissing on their cultural sensitives with his pro gay stance.

Hispanics are far more anti-gay than American Blacks. They're also very pro marriage between a man and a woman.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:58 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Hispanics are far more anti-gay than American Blacks

In my experience this is true...If Obama is being calculating here then where is the calculus?? Maybe is is just so brilliant that I dont understand??
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Maybe is is just so brilliant that I dont understand??

Nah, from the beginning, it has mostly been smoke and mirrors.
Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Hispanics are far more anti-gay than American Blacks

In my experience this is true...If Obama is being calculating here then where is the calculus?? Maybe is is just so brilliant that I dont understand??

Most of what Obama does in the White House is determined by his advisers. His chief adviser in DC and Chicago has always been his pal Valerie Jarret from Chicago.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:28 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Let me apologize. I thought this was a thoughtful thread where people could express reasoned opinions about political strategy and thoughtful views on policy.

I didn't realize that this is just another mindless Obama-bashing thread.

Unfortunately mindless Obama-bashing isn't my thing.

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Coming across as a moderate works when you want to negotiate. We're past that phase now

That ship sailed a long time ago, after the "grand bargain" on the budget fell apart, and after Obama's DOJ attacked the states for immigration laws which uphold US immigration laws which Obama would like to see voided but for which he cant get the votes in Congress to void.

I think a lot of people would agree that that ship sailed long ago and have been waiting/fearing that Obama would start to move on his policies instead of trying to get to some middle ground. I think the immigration argument doesn't make sense given that the Obama administration has been much more aggressive on immigration than previous administrations and the states are clearly stepping on federal prerogatives. Any President wanting to maintain the power of the federal government would challenge the states and members of Congress from both parties would support that but that is a separate thread.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

... but now that he has alienated blacks more than he already had this is in doubt.

I think it is wishful thinking to say that Obama has alienated the black vote. It seems his position on gay marriage has had the opposite effect, shifting black opinion towards gay marriage instead of against him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Then may I suggest you return to one if the mindless Republican bashing threads in which you seem to feel so comfortable?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:20 pm
It seems strange that Blacks would be for gay-marriage, when marriage amongst Blacks ( at least well educated black women ) is on the decline.

So, who are these Blacks that support gay marriage?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:27 pm
@Miller,
Why would gay marriage have anything to do with marriage "amongst blacks?"

Geesh, it's like you think people can't be both Black and gay or lesbian.

Does anyone else realize how humorously ridiculous this thread is?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:32 pm
It is 100% politically motivated as will be virtually 100% of everything he does from now and until the election.

How can this latest stunt be considered politically beneficial to him?

He desperately needs perceived Democrat constituencies to vote for him this election in numbers greater than they did in 2008.

A considerably smaller share of Independents will be voting for him this time around and so he needs to make up those votes somewhere.

It's essentially impossible to get more votes from the black community so don't expect any similar stunt that landers to them.

There is nothing more he can do to attract the Gay & Lesbian bloc beyond coming out of the closet.

Next will be the Youth Vote. An Executive Order forgiving all student loans, legalizing weed, or "investing" a trillion dollars in medical research to stop aging?

If there were enough Armenian-Americans in the land, he would invade Turkey.

Interestingly enough it wasn't that long ago that in an interview with one of the Hispanic networks he argued that he done all he could in terms of the Dream Act, and that he was constrained by the Constitutional limits of his office.

Apparently the idea of circumventing those limits through Executive Order came to him in a dream or was the result of a three year legal research effort by David Axelrod.

If I were Romney, I wouldn't fall into the obvious traps that will be set for him by the MSM. I would focus on how Obama doesn't have the authority to render this royal edict, and what a hypocrite he is for criticizing W's use of the noxious tool.

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:34 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Does anyone else realize how humorously ridiculous this thread is?

It's typical of threads this joker produces. It's a loaded question--anyone attemptting to answer the titular question accepts the premise(s) implicit. You'll never see anything different from this member.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:39 pm
@maxdancona,
You are appearing to be as desperate as your hero.

If this thread is so utterly ludicrous and it's focus is not "your thing," why don't you scurry along elsewhere?

Of course you're welcome to stay and either engage thoughtfully or entertain us with your stridency.

Your call.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It is 100% politically motivated as will be virtually 100% of everything he does from now and until the election
CAll it what you will. He realizes that with Congress a nonentity due to the "Teabagger nation", He takes the action in his own hands and is being criticized for not involving Congress. WOuld getting Congress "Involved" result in anything that would be anything BUT political??? SUrely your head isnt in the sun Finnzy
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 06:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You are appearing to be as desperate as your hero.

Yes, I am just as desperate as Obama (actually Obama isn't exactly my hero, but OK).

Quote:
If this thread is so utterly ludicrous and it's focus is not "your thing," why don't you scurry along elsewhere?

Because I find it humorous. I thought I made that clear.

Quote:

Of course you're welcome to stay and either engage thoughtfully or entertain us with your stridency.

Well thank you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 06:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn,

1. Everything a politician does is, by definition, political. That is why we call them politicians. The idea is that by making politicians do things to win votes we make them accountable to American voters. That's how the system works. I don't really get what your problem is.

2. An election is a contest that requires a solid grasp of strategy. A strategic move does not equal desperation.

3. This latest move puts Romney in a real tight spot. Obama has made a clear decision to address a problem that Romney admits is a problem. Now Romney is being asked for his solution. The problem is that Romney doesn't have a good solution that doesn't hurt him politically with one of the two sides he is pandering to.

This was a good strategic move on the Obama team's part.

4. You are correct that with this move Obama opens himself up to a charge of overreaching. But you are wrong to overestimate the effect and the strategy is to counter this with Romney's inability to articulate his own clear strategy or position on the issue.

5. The idea behind this executive order came from Hispanic community leaders and was discussed quite a bit in Spanish media for at least a couple of years. This isn't something that Obama thought up in desperation, it was responding to a core constituency that has been requesting this move for years.

If you ask why Obama didn't do this a couple of years ago, I don't have a good answer. His refusal to take this step until now was political calculus and one of the reasons I along with many Americans am disappointed with president Obama.

He still gets my vote.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 06:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Not always. I've known two politicians quite well that I still admire, brainy women.

Neither of them fit the common take of politicians.

0 Replies