Mayor Bloomberg proposes super-sized soda ban

roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:59 pm
@Linkat,
I know. At Mcdonalds they will serve a small coffee, though it's cheaper if you ask for a Senior Coffee. Small drinks (cold drinks) just don't exist.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 05:13 pm
@Linkat,
Don't get me going on Starbucks. Burnt coffee and a lot of rassmatazz.
(I happen to like real espresso)
roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
You want HOW MUCH for a cup of coffee?

Donut Mart is better, and provides me office space all over town.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:21 pm
@firefly,
Explaining the program the way you did is tantamount to defending it.

You have to explain/defend the edict because you, in principle, support the notion of The Nanny State.

You're a true Progressive firefly.

I can't recall whether or not you have expressed agreement with the notion that the GOP is waging a War on Women, but if you have, I would like to understand how Bloomberg's fiat on breast feeding is not part of that war.

Specifically, how is the decision whether or not to breast feed any less a personal choice anchored in the ownership of a woman's body, than abortion?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
How does the size of soft drinks or coffee affect your comfort?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
See? We often agree.

I hate Starbucks.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I can't recall whether or not you have expressed agreement with the notion that the GOP is waging a War on Women, but if you have, I would like to understand how Bloomberg's fiat on breast feeding is not part of that war.

Specifically, how is the decision whether or not to breast feed any less a personal choice anchored in the ownership of a woman's body, than abortion?

What "fiat on breastfeeding"? Women aren't being prevented, at all, from bottle-feeding their babies in NYC hospitals. And, as soon as they leave the hospital, they are also free to do as they please. No one is making any choices for these women.
Educating new mothers on the known health benefits of breastfeeding gives them more information to base their choice on, but they make the choice of how they wish to feed their child.

And the ban on super-sized sodas won't stop people from drinking as much soda as they want either--all that will be affected is the maximum size of the cup for each serving, but people can order, and drink, as much as they want.

On the other hand, I can't go into a fast food place, or movie theater, that sells 32 oz and 48 oz sodas and get myself an 8 oz soda, which is the maximum amount I ever really want to drink. I am already forced to buy, and pay for, much more soda than I want, or that I will consume. The lack of having smaller sizes available is much more unfair to a consumer like me than the super-size ban will be to those who want to drink more than 16 oz at a time--they can order more. I'm stuck with paying for more, that I really don't want, and leaving a lot in the cup to be tossed out, because the vendor has already limited my choice in the matter.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:17 pm
@firefly,
How do you feel about laws that require a woman to see a sonogram of her fetus before she has an abortion? Such laws aren't preventing women from having abortions.

Your not being honest about drinks in fastfood joints.

Almost all of them have self-serve beverage stations.

You may have to buy an 18 ounce cup but you don't have to fill it.

An economic argument is fine, but you'll note the Bloomberg isn't requiring retailers to offer 12 ounce drinks.

firefly

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Bloomberg has been encouraging fast food places, arenas, and movie theaters, to offer smaller sizes in sodas, like 8 oz and 10 oz.
Quote:
How do you feel about laws that require a woman to see a sonogram of her fetus before she has an abortion? Such laws aren't preventing women from having abortions.

I don't support a law that requires a woman to do anything as a condition of her obtaining an abortion. Nor would I support any regulation requiring a woman to breastfeed her baby while in a hospital. But the NYC breastfeeding initiative does not prohibit the woman's choice to bottle feed her baby while in the hospital. It doesn't interfere with her choice at all.

If women who have been hospitalized, while this initiative has been in effect, were to start complaining that they were being pressured to breast feed, then the policy should be re-considered. But, so far, the objections I've read haven't been from women who were in NYC hospitals while this program was going on.

The push against super-sized sodas isn't just coming from Bloomberg.
http://forcechange.com/27471/demand-that-mcdonalds-reduce-drink-sizes/
firefly

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:54 pm
Bloomberg has already put healthier choices in the vending machines of NYC public hospitals (like replacing packages of fried potato chips with packs of baked potato chips), now he's tackling junk food in NYC hospital cafeterias.
Quote:
NYC hospitals crack down on junk food
Published September 24, 2012
Associated Press

NEW YORK – People nervously waiting around in New York City hospitals for loved ones to come out of surgery can't smoke. In a few months from now, they can't have a supersized fast-food soda. And soon, they won't even be able to get a candy bar out of the vending machine or a piece of fried chicken from the cafeteria.

In one of his latest health campaigns, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is aiming to banish sugary and fatty foods from both public and private hospitals.

In recent years, the city's 15 public hospitals have cut calories in patients' meals and restricted the sale of sugary drinks and unhealthy snacks at vending machines. But now the city is tackling hospital cafeteria food, too. And the Healthy Hospital Food Initiative is expanding its reach: In the past year, 16 private hospitals have signed on.

Earlier this month, the city moved to ban the sale of big sodas and other sugary drinks at fast-food restaurants and theaters, beginning in March. Critics say the hospital initiative is yet another sign that Bloomberg is running a "nanny state," even though the guidelines are voluntary and other cities -- including Boston -- have undertaken similar efforts.

Hospitals say it would be hypocritical of them to serve unhealthy food to patients who are often suffering from obesity and other health problems.

"If there's any place that should not allow smoking or try to make you eat healthy, you would think it'd be the hospitals," Bloomberg said Monday. "We're doing what we should do and you'll see, I think, most of the private hospitals go along with it."

The cafeteria crackdown will ban deep fryers, make leafy green salads a mandatory option and allow only healthy snacks to be stocked near the cafeteria entrance and at cash registers. At least half of all sandwiches and salads must be made or served with whole grains. Half-size sandwich portions must be available for sale.

"People sometimes right now don't have healthy options," said Christine Curtis, the city Health Department's director of nutrition strategy. "So you are there at 2 in the morning and maybe your only choice is soda and chips."

Marcelle Scott brought her own chips and soda into the lobby of Manhattan's privately operated St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital -- there was no vending machine in sight -- as she waited for her daughter to give birth Monday. It wasn't the first time the unemployed security guard from the Bronx got the "munchies" for junk food to keep calm while awaiting the outcome of a loved one's medical procedure.

"I like my Snickers and my Mars Bars -- especially if I'm nervous for somebody who's inside," she said.

Most hospitals have already overhauled their vending machines by allowing only two types of 12-ounce high-calorie beverages at each vending machine -- and they must be featured on the lowest rack. Hospital vending machines have also swapped out most baked goods for snacks like granola bars and nuts.

At privately run Montefiore Medical Center, which operates several hospitals in the Bronx, changes have been under way for a couple of years.

"We took ice cream out of the cafeterias and began serving more whole grains," said Dr. Andrew Racine, chief medical officer. "We changed white rice to brown rice."

Herbert Padilla, a retired Manhattan hairdresser, was sitting a few feet from a giant coke machine Monday in an outpatient waiting area at St. Luke's-Roosevelt, where he was undergoing treatment for a nerve disorder. He said that in general, he supports efforts to keep people from overdosing on junk food, but "we shouldn't be forced into this by a hospital."

"The mayor is going too far with this. It's ridiculous," he said. "We're being told what to eat and what to drink. We're not living in a free country anymore."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/24/nyc-hospitals-crack-down-on-junk-food/#ixzz27SAlaLty
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:10 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
But the NYC breastfeeding initiative does not prohibit the woman's choice to bottle feed her baby while in the hospital. It doesn't interfere with her choice at all.

Nonsense it put pressures on the women by way of the staff members who are judge by how few women demand to bottle feed their babies in fact the word is demand as anything short of that level of determination by a woman will not likely result in a bottle feed baby.

But you know that as well as we all do so once more this is an example of you being dishonest.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:13 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
they were being pressured to breast feed, then the policy should be re-considered.

I am sure the mayor would be willing to reconsider any of his health police policies or that all the women in NY hospitals are happy with being pressure into breast feeding.

It would in any case take a woman of very strong personality to complained openly about pressures by the staff to do what society judge is best for her baby no matter if she would far prefer to bottle feed.

In fact what appear to be happening seem nothing short of abused.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:17 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

...the NYC breastfeeding initiative does not prohibit the woman's choice to bottle feed her baby while in the hospital. It doesn't interfere with her choice at all.

How you Progressives can twist the truth to suit your positions.

Locking up formula doesn't intefere (at all) with a woman's choice to breast feed?

You are blantantly, intellectually dishonest as anything even remotely interfering with a woman's choice to have an abortion would be on your hit list.
firefly

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:28 pm
This is the Healthy Hospital program..
Quote:
The Health Department declined to say how many private hospitals have signed onto its Healthy Hospital Food Initiative, which a source said calls for participants to adopt the city’s food standards for vending machines, cafeterias and patient meals, such as:

* No meals featuring deep-fried food, trans fats, 2% or whole milk, fruit in syrup, or salty food.

* All full-size portions of sandwiches, salads, and entrees must contain 650 calories or less.

* All beverages will be 12 ounces or smaller, except water and seltzer — and water and seltzer will be at least 25% cheaper than other drinks.

* Baked chips, nuts or pretzels instead of candy bars in vending machines.

* Desserts and other sweets will contain 250 calories or less.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bloomy-latest-nanny-state-crackdown-curb-junk-food-hospitals-article-1.1166175#ixzz27SHaAq1o

And it's not just Bloomberg who is concerned about all the junk food in hospital vending machines. Private citizens in New York City are also complaining to private hospitals about the same thing.
Quote:
Emergency Room Visitors Prefer Junk Food, Hospital CEO Says September 19, 2012
By Janet Upadhye, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

FORT GREENE — The head of a private Brooklyn hospital defended his junk-food filled emergency room vending machines, saying people prefer it to healthy snacks when they're in the middle of a crisis.

Brooklyn Hospital Center President and CEO Richard B. Becker made the assertion at a Community Board 2 meeting, saying he had no reason to swap out the sugar and fat-filled goodiesfor something more nutritious.

"We are not responsible for what people eat," he said. "They make their own choices.”

He added that in "times of crisis," most people prefer something "delicious" like junk food.

Becker made the comments earlier this month in response to Brooklyn resident Joe Gonzales, who said he made a recent trip to the hospital.

"I saw five vending machines in the ER waiting room.," he said.

"All of them were filled with junk food and drinks. None of them had healthy alternatives."

In a visit to the hospital, DNAinfo New York found that the five fully-stocked vending machines in the ER took up the entire length of one wall. Selections included two machines devoted to sugary drinks ranging from Hawaiian Punch, to Lipton Iced Tea, to Fanta.

Another machine sold ice cream — with Good Humor ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, and other treats. Another vending machine sold chips, cookies and candy bars — including Dipsy Doodles, Kit Kat bars, M&Ms and other treats.

Another machine sold hot coffee.

Becker later added, "The Brooklyn Hospital Center advocates healthy living in many ways."

His response came as a surprise to some, especially at a time when junk food is a hot topic in New York City.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's trans-fat and smoking bans were joined by a ban on oversized soda drinks. The Department of Health offered promotions to get people to use their food stamps at farmers' markets, and a new pilot program is in the works in the Bronx called Shop Healthy NYC that asks bodegas to stock their shelves with more produce and vegetables and cut down on the chips.

“I am appalled that the medical community didn’t want to take a greater lead in providing healthy food,” Gonzales said after the meeting.

Karen Goldman, an associate professor at Long Island University Brooklyn’s School of Public Health, who also attended the meeting, thinks her students can do better and promised to compile a list of healthy alternatives.

Goldman said she plans to present Becker with a list of all the healthy foods that can replace junk food in the vending machines after the research has been completed.

“LIU Brooklyn and Brooklyn Hospital have a wonderful partnership and I saw this as an irresistible public health challenge that I felt comfortable raising because of our long standing relationship,” she said.

“It’s also a great learning opportunity for the students about advocacy, communicating with powerful decision-makers, research and strategizing.”

Becker did not immediately return a call for comment.
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120919/fort-greene/emergency-room-visitors-prefer-junk-food-hospital-ceo-says#ixzz27SKNUFmv
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Locking up formula doesn't intefere (at all) with a woman's choice to breast feed?

It not just the fact that the SOBs locked up the formula but that they tell the staff that the fewer women who bottle feed the better the hospital will look and I am sure the happier the management will be with them.

I would hate to be the hospital administrator of a New York hospital with the lowest numbers of women breastfeeding.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

The formula is locked up so that only nurses, and not aides, can remove it--and that's because the nurses are now responsible for keep tracking of how many bottles are being used. The formula was never directly accessible by the mother, as far as I know. It was always kept in a cabinet and always removed only by a staff member. It always had to be requested by the mother, even prior to this program. The only difference is that now it is stored in a locked rather than unlocked cabinet.

And, if the mother asks for the formula, so she can feed her baby, it will always be given to her. Her choice to bottle-feed in the hospital is not being interfered with.

How do you see the mother's choice being interfered with in that situation?

The message encouraging breast-feeding is consistent with current medical advice and opinion. Formula manufacturers have been using the hospitals to promote their product, and encourage it's use, and that's part of what the hospitals are trying to counter-act.

But the choice about how to feed her baby is always left to the mother--including while she's still in the hospital with her baby--even in New York City.

Quote:
There are lots of experts who have lots of opinions about New York City’s new plan to encourage breast-feeding in new moms by urging hospitals not to give them baby formula. Advocates praise the move as a way to limit the influence of formula manufacturers on new mothers. Skeptics wonder whether the policy will shame women who choose not to breast-feed.

As for my sister-in-law, Rachel, who recently gave birth in a Manhattan hospital to her first child, she knows firsthand how nurses pushing formula can impact an inexperienced mother. After her C-section, a nurse offered to give her newborn a bottle “to make it easier on you.” Exhausted and uncertain, she agreed — even though she’d intended to breast-feed. “I was a new mom,” she said. “I didn’t know what I was doing.”

Those are exactly the sorts of moms that Mayor Michael Bloomberg hopes to influence with his voluntary Latch On NYC initiative. When it goes into effect in September, nurses in participating hospitals will be instructed not to give formula to babies unless there’s a medical reason to do so or unless moms specifically request it (they’ll first have to listen to a mandatory speech about why breast is best). Formula will be locked away like medication, and staff will be required to sign it out, track its distribution and report those figures to the Health Department, which presumably wants to know whether the new policy will cut formula use citywide. Twenty-seven of the city’s 40 hospitals have agreed to participate.

Sound extreme? Not to Melissa Bartick, an internist who is on the board of the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee. “I can’t even get an alcohol wipe without swiping my badge,” says Bartick. “Hospitals lock up just about everything from Band-Aids to gauze. The question we should be asking is why aren’t they locking up formula? The reason is because they get it for free.”

Typically, formula manufacturers stock hospitals with free samples of their products to encourage brand-name adoption. Many hospitals across the country still give away diaper bags packed with formula samples to new moms, despite increasing awareness that the practice may stymie breast-feeding. That practice is changing, though: many hospitals nationwide have voluntarily banned the bags, and in July, Massachusetts became the second state to go “bag-free,” with all 49 of its maternity hospitals pledging to spurn the formula freebies. (Rhode Island was first in 2011.)

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advises moms to breast-feed exclusively for about six months, then continue breast-feeding while offering new foods. In July, an annual gathering of state AAP leaders voted to support a resolution entitled “Divesting from Formula Marketing in Pediatric Care” that would call on pediatricians “not to provide formula company gift bags, coupons and industry-authored handouts to the parents of newborns and infants in office and clinic settings.”

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/01/bloomberg-on-breast-feeding-will-locking-up-formula-really-help-new-moms/#ixzz27SQ5hGha
aidan

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:10 am
I think limiting the size of the cup you give in an effort to encourage responsible and healthy consumption is a fine thing to do- especially as it sets a reasonable bench mark for children to observe.
Instead of seeing supposedly responsible and coherently thinking adults drinking 32 ounces of soda at a time, they see people encouraged to drink half that if they're thirsty and then having to buy more if they're just plain addicted to soda - which actually - a lot of people are.
You never see anyone drinking 32 ounces of milk at a time, do you?
There's a reason these super-sized foods are usually the unhealthy ones - they're cheap and they appeal to a certain segment of the society (poor people and kids who don't have their own disposable income) for that reason.

And in terms of breast-feeding, I'm sure the nurses aren't standing there admonishing the mothers as much as trying to make sure they understand (and have not just heard in a vague and passing way somewhere) about what exactly the benefits of breastfeeding vs. formula ARE. And a new mother DOES have to breastfeed in the first few hours after birth because once a baby takes a bottle, it's much harder to get them on the breast than it is if they only know the breast from the beginning.

In terms of the sonogram before an abortion, I don't actually understand why it's being seen as an invasive or intrusive requirement. At least she has proof positive that she's actually pregnant (there have been many people who have had falsely positive pregnancy tests).
Why is it a bad idea? Because the woman has to pay for it? Or because it makes her have to physically see what she's aborting?
If I were going to undergo an abortion, I'd want proof positive that I was actually pregnant before I did.

You know, I feel the same way about these sodas as I do about legalizing drugs. Do I think it should be criminalized to indulge in unhealthy behaviors? No, not necessarily, but I also don't think that we as a society are being responsible if we in any way encourage children to indulge in behaviors or products to an extent that it is harmful to their health or well-being.

PS- I also think they should cancel that 'Man vs. Food' show. That is the most disgusting display of overconsumption I've ever seen and it, more than almost anything else I can think of, makes me embarrassed to be American and associated with that sort of celebration of gluttony.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:06 am
@aidan,
Quote:
mothers as much as trying to make sure they understand (and have not just heard in a vague and passing way somewhere) about what exactly the benefits of breastfeeding vs. formula

So you are under the impression that the mothers are living in a cave somewhere without cable and therefore the benefits of breast feeding is a new idea to them?

That their own doctors had not also cover the issue in details long before the birth for that matter?

As a damn male, I had gotten that message over and over and over myself over the years and not in some vague way but in details

It nice to know that the city consider the mothers to be idiots that need to be encourage as in pressure the hell out of to breastfeed.

Before this drive by the mayor the hospitals was already letting the women know that they support them if they decide to breastfeed and the only added element is the element of pressure in making them sign some paperwork and locking up the milk and so on.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:13 am
@aidan,
Quote:
In terms of the sonogram before an abortion, I don't actually understand why it's being seen as an invasive or intrusive requirement. At least she has proof positive that she's actually pregnant (there have been many people who have had falsely positive pregnancy tests).

So you need a sonogram to prove that a woman is pregnant that is a new concept however it is a test force on the woman and her doctors by the state in the hope that she will not be emotionally strong enough afterward to go on with the procedure not for some proof of being pregnant and the hell who care what emotional harms it might do to the woman who did not wish for the test in the first place.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:05 am
@firefly,
Quote:
But the NYC breastfeeding initiative does not prohibit the woman's choice to bottle feed her baby while in the hospital. It doesn't interfere with her choice at all.

Of course not my dishonest friend and that is why they are bragging that since they had locked up the formula the breastfeeding rate had double.

Giving women support to breastfeed was not good enough they needed to add pressures on the women to make the right decision to get the numbers up to their satisfaction.

Of course this stand of your does not surprise me as you never had view women as a class as full adults able to make such life decisions without the state help and protections.

0 Replies