Mayor Bloomberg proposes super-sized soda ban

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 08:22 pm
Bloomberg is a would-be tyrant.

What should we expect from someone who can buy anything, including the office of New York's Mayor?

Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Bloomberg is a would-be tyrant.

What should we expect from someone who can buy anything, including the office of New York's Mayor?

This all might be unconscious, due to the mayor's comparative diminutive size. He does not like "tall" drinks. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 11:12 am
@tsarstepan,

Soda Ban Backlash: Mike Bloomberg's Plan Takes Supersized P.R. Hit
By Victoria Bekiempis Fri., Jul. 6 2012 at 9:59 AM

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/bloomberg_soda_ban_backlash.php
firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 12:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
The backlash isn't surprising, particularly the reaction from the soft drink beverage lobby and establishments that have a vested interest in selling 24 and 32 oz sugar laden soft drinks, that can contain upwards of 20 teaspoons of sugar in each one.

Some of the criticism, particularly the Constitutional issues this ban raises, seems much more valid than some of the other concerns. Even if the proposal gets voted down, I hope it's helped to raise awareness of just how much sugar those super-sized drinks contain so that people can make better choices of their own initiative.

This proposal initiated by Bloomberg's administration should kick up much less flack--it's a good move.
Quote:
07/02/2012
"Health Bucks" Program Encourages Food Stamp Use At City Farmers Markets
By: Zack Fink

A program aimed at getting more fruits and vegetables on New Yorkers' tables is now under way at all of the city's 138 farmers markets.

As part of the "Health Bucks" program, participants get an extra $2 worth of free produce for every $5 spent.

The "Health Bucks" are $2 coupons to be used toward the purchase of fruits and vegetables.

The city estimates the program will provide about $350,000 in free food for low-income New Yorkers.

"The obesity epidemic has unfolded over the last 40 years. People haven't changed during that time, people's genes haven't changed during that time. What has changed is our environment. We have much greater accessibility of high-calorie snack foods than we did 40 years ago,” said Dr. Thomas Farley, the city health commissioner.

"To make sure that every green market in the city takes Health Bucks means New Yorkers will have a much greater chance of getting more healthy food on a regular basis," said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who already made headlines with his plan to ban large, sugary drinks, said the Health Bucks initiative fits in with that plan.

"If you drink the same number of calories, you don't get full at all. That's one of the problems. If you eat bad stuff, at least it fills you up. If you drink bad stuff, it doesn't fill you up, so it's an additive kind of thing,” Bloomberg said.

Local farmers welcomed the increased benefits and spending power of roughly 1.8 million New York City food stamp recipients.

"The small farmer has been helped out, where he isn't big enough to wholesale to the Walmarts or the big grocery stores, he can come here and sell his product too. So, it's a two-fold thing,” said Joe O’Brien, a farmer.

Electronic Benefit Transfer machines or EBTs, where low-income residents receive the coupons, will be at 125 of the 138 markets. Those that do not have machines will still accept the coupons through November 15.

To find a farmer's market near you, visit nyc.gov.
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/164105/-health-bucks--program-encourages-food-stamp-use-at-city-farmers-markets

Sturgis

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 02:34 pm
@firefly,
The comedy of the Health Bucks is multilayered.

First off he wants it because the fresh fruits and veggies aren't sold much in the poorer neighborhoods. Well, okay, but that still doesn't address how the people he is trying to help are going to get to the locations of these farmer's markets. Is he planning a bus that will go from 130th Street down to Union Square or some form of subsidized transit...discount metrocard for example.
The fact is many of the people he wants to help just aren't able to, for mostly financial reasons, able to travel to the places where these markets are.

Then of course the comedy ensued the day after he made the proposal of health bucks because he wants to encourage better eating. He appeared at the weigh in and introductions for the annual Coney Island/Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. When questioned he said he likes hot dogs. Um, okay but what about the health factor?

Same as when he put up a soda restriction and followed it by shoving donuts in his yapper on Donut Day which was that very same week.

He is nothing but a 2 faced phony. If he really believes in the health aspects, then don't stand up there endorsing donut day or hot dog contests.

Then again, what can else we expect of the mealymouthed baby who has to have people wipe his mouth.

http://www.jornal.us/pictures/30822748_0831_bloomberg.jpg

(wonder how much fat and sodium is in that slice he's scarfing down)
firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:38 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Well, okay, but that still doesn't address how the people he is trying to help are going to get to the locations of these farmer's markets. Is he planning a bus that will go from 130th Street down to Union Square or some form of subsidized transit...discount metrocard for example.

They seem to be located all over the city--in all boroughs.
https://a816-healthpsi.nyc.gov/DispensingSiteLocator/mainView.do

Quote:
He appeared at the weigh in and introductions for the annual Coney Island/Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. When questioned he said he likes hot dogs. Um, okay but what about the health factor?...

He is nothing but a 2 faced phony. If he really believes in the health aspects, then don't stand up there endorsing donut day or hot dog contests.

Oh, come on. That ridiculous hot dog eating contest is held once a year, and, by appearing at the weigh-in, he wasn't encouraging everyone to scarf down as many hot dogs as possible as fast as possible. The contest is a NYC tradition, and he simply made an appearance as mayor. Same is true of Donut Day, and he said there is nothing wrong with having one donut once in a while.

He's not telling people to give up anything--including sugary drinks, or an occasional hot dog, or donut, or slice of pizza--he's urging moderation. Selling, and drinking, 32 oz glasses of soda, as a single serving, is hardly moderation.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:00 pm
@firefly,
I'm all for more shopping opportunities in blighted communities (ex was from south LA, long before farmer's markets), not to mention transportation in them (that was a huge problem in south LA). Friends of mine have started gardens, working with students, in eked out portions of asphalt in playgrounds and it worked, at least for a while. That's harder to do in other places with less congenial climate than Los Angeles. Or where Alice Water lives.

Here's one of them - Scott Wilson, though he taught more broad efforts than gardens in school lots.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/12/local/la-me-scott-wilson-20111112
I worked with him once on some design, always respected him. Plus his wife is the one who sent me on an eternal quest for just the right potato cabbage sausage soup, to match hers: I've never succeeded.

However, this ban thing rings the wrong bell. Get people, by discussion, to get that giant glasses of sodas are stupid. Banning is invasive.

More inflammatory, I'm against the foie gras ban in California. Have a link I like on that, will chase it if I have to.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:06 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
When questioned he said he likes hot dogs.

did you listen to end of that hot dog day speech ... it was full of stupid puns ... he read the speech and then said "who writes this ****"

loved it
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:00 am
Our benevolent Lord Bloomberg is at it again:
Bloomberg Trumpets ‘Shop Healthy’ Program, Which Will Make You Walk a Few Paces Further to Get Junk Food
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/07/bloomberg-trumpets-shop-healthy-program.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 11:26 am
Unlikely Victims of the Proposed Soda Ban Speak Out
http://nypress.com/unlikely-victims-of-the-proposed-soda-ban-speak-out/
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Brilliant and wicked funny Op-ed video from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/09/09/opinion/100000001768095/soda-ban-explained.html?ref=opinion
It really does a great job putting the ban in perspective.
firefly

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
It's a great video.

And I agree with it's final statement--the proposed ban has forced a conversation about why people are getting fat, and that's a good thing.

The proposed ban has also made people more aware of the extremely high sugar content in those mega-sized drinks they've been guzzling.

You can't force people to make healthier, or more sensible, choices about the foods they eat or the beverages they drink, but promoting awareness, and increasing education, and public discussion of obesity issues, all may help people to make better choices on their own.

BillRM

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 01:01 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You can't force people to make healthier, or more sensible, choices about the foods they eat or the beverages they drink, but promoting awareness, and increasing education, and public discussion of obesity issues, all may help people to make better choices on their own.
\

You mean that a police state you are so in favor of in so many others areas of life have some limits in your mind?

Come on thirty years in prison for anyone who sell super sized sodas or anything else that the mayor is not happy about should do if.

An of course a food police force roaming the streets looking to make arrests and all for the citizens own good.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 10:58 am
AS of today, the ban is technically in effect as it has been voted for.
Quote:
City Bans Big, Sugary Drinks at Eateries, Theaters
Thursday, September 13, 2012
New York City's health board has passed a rule banning super-sized, sugary drinks at restaurants, concession stands and other eateries.

http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2012/sep/13/city-health-board-set-vote-proposed-soda-size-cap/
firefly

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 12:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
The ban won't really go into effect until next March. And a judge could still block the ban.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:25 pm
@firefly,
I was going to update that erroneous note of my own (with an article on the timescale of the actual ban and pending lawsuit) but I didn't get around to doing that. Thanks firefly.
BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:37 pm
@firefly,
The police state and the nanny state is marching on it would seems.

Adults are not responsible for their own actions, and now adults are not even responsible and able to judge if it is wise to have a large soda with sugar in it.

Home of the free and the brave my rear end.
Irishk

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
If they start a war on bacon, I may have to arm myself!

Wait...I don't live there LOL.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 02:04 pm
@BillRM,
Their is a recognized obesity epidemic. Are you happy that a lot of these very morbidly obese Americans are currently or will eventually become a burden on the Medicaid/Medicare system because they're dangerously consume insane amounts of sugary soda?

If you have health insurance then you're quite a lucky fella. I don't. I don't have faith that even if Obamacare isn't toppled by a possible Romney presidency then and even then I won't be able to get health insurance. This obesity epidemic needs to be controlled or the Medicare/Medicaid system will collapse under their collective weight.

Would you agree to forcing morbidly obese individuals and/or life long smokers to be exempt/disallowed from Medicaid/Medicare in order to make health insurance more affordable?
BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 02:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
As a young man I used to sky dive on weekends for fun so by your logic I should had been ban from having done so for my own good as the risk is too high and if I happen to had break a leg or arm on landing the society might had to pay part of the medical bill or I should had been ban from any help from thoes programs.

My my the range that the nanny state could get involved in all of our lives if the argument is that it to keep medical cost low is endless.

An all this in a society that is one of the few where most of us are cover by private insurance and not public insurance on top of that!!!!!!

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/631704/thumbs/o-BLOOMBERG-NANNY-570.jpg?6