Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 07:46 pm
I cannot believe a thread of this nature has not been started before. If you read an off-the-wall or truly odd news story, there is an excellent chance it's out of Florida.

Feel free to deposit them here.

Quote:
New details in attacker accused of chewing off man's face

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Disturbing new details and surveillance video have been released in the fatal police-involved shooting off a causeway that involved naked men and cannibalism.

While Larry Vega rode his bicycle on MacArthur Causeway's pedestrian walkway on Saturday afternoon, he witnessed something that can only be described as savage: a naked man was chewing off the face of another naked man. "And the guy was like tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" he said. "You know, it's like the guy just kept eating the other guy away, like ripping his skin."

Upon witnessing what he describes as a scene out of a horror movie, Vega managed to flag down a Miami Police officer. "Police officer came over, told him several times to get off, and a police officer climbed over the divider and got in front of him and said, 'Get off!' And told him several times, and the guy just stood his head up like that with a piece of flesh in his mouth and growled," said Vega.

When the attack continued, Vega says the officer fired but the man continued to chew flesh off the victim. The officer fired several more times, eventually killing the attacker, who, according to published reports, has been identified as 31-year-old Rudy Eugene.

A "Miami Herald" surveillance camera caught the aftermath as the two men, who, police said, appeared to be homeless, laid side by side on the ground. "It was just a blob of blood," said Vega. "You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place."

Rescue crews rushed the victim to Jackson Memorial Hospital with 75 percent of his face missing, including an eye, his ears and lips.

Police said the attacker may have likely been overdosing on a new potent form of LSD. "What's happening is whenever we see that a person has taken all of his clothes off and has become violent, it's indicative of this excited delirium that's caused by overdose of drugs," said Armando Aguilar of the Miami Fraternal Order of Police. "What's happening is, inside their body their organs are burning up alive."

Doctors at Jackson Memorial say that mixing illegal drugs can have horrific results. "If you mix it with things: cocaine and new LSDs, they cause delirium, which is, you don't make sense when you take them," said Dr. Paul Adams of Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Vega said, he cannot shake the image he expected to see on the big screen and never on the streets of Miami. "Pretty gruesome, that's for sure. One of the most gruesome things I have ever seen in my life in person," he said. "You know, you see these things in the movies but when you see it in person, it's pretty traumatic."

The victim remains in critical condition. Sources tell 7News the injuries the victim sustained are some of the worst injuries they have ever seen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 41 • Views: 89,504 • Replies: 571

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 08:08 pm
It will be a busy thread.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 10:16 pm
@Ticomaya,
Gotta remember THE RULES

Partial list

1."Cardio"
2."Double tap"
3."Beware of bathrooms"
4."Seatbelts"
6."Cast iron skillet"
7."Travel light"
8."Get a kickass partner"
12."Bounty paper towels"
15."Bowling Ball"
17."Don't be a hero."
18."Limber up"
21."Avoid strip clubs"
22."When in doubt, know your way out"
29."The buddy system"
31."Check the back seat"
32."Enjoy the little things"
33."Swiss army knife"
34."Clean socks"
48."Hygiene"
49."Always have backup

Rap
Irishk

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:20 pm
What I thought when I read about the face-eater in Miami...
http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-gif-Bugs-Bunny-Florida.gif
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:11 am
@Ticomaya,
Funny - when I read this story - my immediate thought was - of course Florida it seems the most bizarre news stories occur in Florida.

Maybe another question is why? Why it almost always occurs in Florida?
Mame

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:18 am
@Linkat,
Something' in the water down there

Anybody ever read anything by Carl Hiaasen? He writes books like Fargo Smile Great writer, all set in the Everglades.
dlowan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:27 am
@Ticomaya,
That crime was something I really never needed to know about.

You need a gruesome warning. I don't think,I'd ever leave my house again if I saw something like that.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:41 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
You need a gruesome warning. ...

Maybe we could add this smiley feature to A2K:
http://i46.tinypic.com/34q7o9g.gif
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:20 am
The hamsters ate half my post! Censorship!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:26 am
@Mame,
Nah.........It's the humidity. Drives people nuts!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:27 am
@Mame,
Love Hiaasen.
He gets the Florida weird exactly right.

It's fun to read his books on the beach on Santa Maria Island and then go down the street to Skinny's and watch the locals in action.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXQmTZuavs8y1Mu8JppBWf6SfHV43JpoM7qmoZqeyFpE6Gg7gkJA

Joe(how many yards of tattoos in one place, I don't know.)Nation
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:33 am
Quote:
Man Used Gun to Cut Line at McDonald's[/color]

A West Palm Beach man is facing aggravated assault charges after authorities say he pulled a gun on three women so he could skip ahead of them at a McDonald's drive-thru.

James Lee Cruz, 58, was arrested Tuesday and charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a weapon in the May 15 incident at the restaurant at 1720 Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard.

Police say the women were in line at the restaurant when a man in a silver Buick, later identified as Lee, pulled alongside them and pointed a gun at them, according to the Palm Beach Post.

The women said the man was yelling at them but they couldn't hear him. The backed their car up and let him pass, but were able to get his license plate number, police said.

Lee was being held Friday on $7,500 bond. It was unknown whether he has an attorney.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47565741/ns/local_news-miami_fl/t/man-used-gun-cut-line-mcdonalds-cops/
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:52 am
Quote:
Lee was being held Friday on $7,500 bond. It was unknown whether he has an attorney.

This is Florida.
He probably is an attorney.

Joe(Your Honor, if the Court please, Cooter)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 02:42 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/05/sinkhole-swallows-florida-familys-entire-backyard-threatens-home/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:33 pm
South Fla. software engineer to go to Congo in hopes of bringing back a dinosaur

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- Joe Marrero is planning a little trip this summer, and it's got his family kind of concerned, wptv.com reports.

The Hollywood software engineer is among a team of optimistic young men who intend to trek through the unforgiving Congo on a most outlandish quest: discover — and possibly bring back — a living dinosaur.

"Naturally, anybody's family would be worried about them," he said. "They don't want to hear the details."

Africa experts say the family's fears are well-founded. New York travel agency owner Valentine Sazhin has traversed the Congo. "There are many dangerous places," he said.

Marrero, 28, is the eldest of the six-man team that makes up the Newmac Expedition, named for its principals, leader Stephen McCullah and survival expert Sam Newton. They will brave the jungly Congo River to track a legendary sauropod said to live along its shore, the one pygmies call — cue the spooky music — Mokele mbembe. ... Read more

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bizarre/
0 Replies

BeachBoy

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:45 pm
I moved to Florida five years ago from Chicago. It's the only place in America where the farther north you go, the farther south you get.
roger

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:56 pm
@BeachBoy,
I finished high school in Miami in the early '60s, and darned if it wasn't just that way back then. They still call people in the central and northern parts "Pork Choppers"?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:03 pm
@raprap,
what is this ****?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:08 pm
I tend to be straightforeward.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:48 pm
@ossobuco,