Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 07:38 pm
Quote:
Florida deputies fatally shoot suspect wanted for sexually assaulting and impregnating an 11-year-old

By Christine Roberts / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, September 3, 2012, 7:38 AM

Florida deputies fatally shot a man wanted for sexually assaulting and impregnating an 11-year-old girl Saturday.

Gregory Johns, 42, was killed at a motel in Treasure Island, Fla., a week after his girlfriend's 11-year-old daughter was taken to the hospital for stomach pains and underwent tests that showed she was pregnant.

Johns immediately asked his girlfriend for the keys to her car so that he could go buy cigarettes.

He never returned.

Gregory Johns was found locked inside a bathroom at the Trail's End Motel early Saturday morning.

Johns, who allegedly sexually abused the girl several times, committed a string of crimes until officials found him locked inside a bathroom at the Trail's End Motel early Saturday morning.

In the week before he was killed, Johns allegedly robbed a couple at knifepoint in Vinoy Park in St. Petersburg, according to local television station WTSP-TV.

He reportedly left a letter at the scene in which he apologized to the 11-year-old girl for assaulting her.

Shortly after the robbery, Johns reportedly broke into the home of a 78-year-old St. Petersburg woman. He allegedly kept her tied and gagged for 12 hours.

Johns called the 11-year-old girl's mother the same day and apologized for assaulting her daughter, Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told Bay News 9. He also said that cops would have to kill him before he would go back to jail, according to police.

Johns has served ten different stints in jail since 1987 on charges of aggravated assault, armed robbery, burglary and drug charges.

Deputies found Johns at the Trail's End Motel Saturday thanks to a tip.

When they arrived at his room, the suspect emerged from the bathroom with a knife and threatened to kill them, prompting the deputies to open fire.

The deputies have been placed on paid administrative leave until the conclusion of an investigation.
jcboy

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 10:13 am
@Ticomaya,
Those silly bath salt zombies are at it again. This time, a Sons of Anarchy actor murdered an old lady and dismembered her cat, attacked a neighbor, and then leapt off the roof of the house - while displaying "superhuman" abilities - according to eyewitnesses. Drugs are bad people. When will people ever learn?

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-new-synthetic-drug-smiles-may-have-fueled-johnny-lewis-fatal-attack

Quote:
The synthetic drug “Smiles” may have been behind the fatal attack allegedly carried out by “Sons of Anarchy” actor Johnny Lewis on Wednesday, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Sources told the publication that detectives believe the hallucinogenic drug, C2-I, could have fueled Lewis into allegedly attacking and killing an 81 year old woman, from whom he is believed to have rented a room. He also allegedly dismembered her cat.

Lewis was found dead in the driveway of a home on Lowry Road in Los Angeles, after falling on his head from a balcony or roof.

The Times reports the incident began shortly after 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday when police were notified of a woman screaming and three men fighting.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:37 am
Quote:
Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Fla.
By SUZETTE LABOY
Associated Press

The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

The medical examiner's office said Tuesday it has sent samples of Archbold's remains for testing, but results are not expected for another week or two.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

The grand prize has been put aside in Archbold's name and will be given to his estate, Siegel told the AP.

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:43 am
@Ticomaya,
I just finished reading that story - pretty strange.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:42 pm
Florida Man Dies After Completing Bug-Eating Contest
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/florida-man-dies-after-bug-roach-eating-contest.html?e=grubstreet--20121009
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 11:41 pm
@tsarstepan,

I like how that's posted on "Grub Street".
jcboy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:03 am
@Ticomaya,
This monkey has been on the loose in my area for three years now! I think he's smarter them most people in the area.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tampa-bays-mystery-monkey-bites-woman-back-17440298

Quote:
Wildlife officials in Florida say the mystery monkey of Tampa Bay bit a woman during an unprovoked attack in St. Petersburg.

Florida Fish and Wildlife spokesman Gary Morse says the woman was sitting outside Tuesday when the monkey bit her on the back.

The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/TfZIhE) reports the incident was reported to wildlife officials, who sent a trapper to the area.

The wild rhesus macaque has become famous in the Tampa Bay area. It has a Facebook page and has been featured on Comedy Central's Colbert Report. The elusive monkey has been spotted numerous times in the Tampa Bay area in recent years.

Officials have warned the public against feeding the monkey. Officials believe the monkey was cast out of a colony in Silver Springs near Ocala.
roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 10:02 am
@jcboy,
Maybe you need a few pythons to control the monkeys.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 10:13 am
@jcboy,
There you are minding your own business, and up comes a rogue monkey and bites you in the back.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 10:21 am
@Ticomaya,
Isn't that one of the published perks of living in Florida? If not, it should be in all of the Florida state tourist brochures.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 11:06 am
@jcboy,
Let me guess --- the monkey was taking bath salts.
jcboy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 11:09 am
@Linkat,
hehe every now and then this monkey turns up on the local news. He’s even got his own facebook page Cool
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 11:11 am
Quote:
Officials believe the monkey was cast out of a colony in Silver Springs near Ocala.

Wait~~~~they have colonies of monkeys in Florida??

I have seen some guys wearing Skoal hats on asideaways , but they was more like apes.

Joe(heh)Nation

Yes,,,, asideaways is spelled correctly.
jcboy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
DO NOT feed the monkey, he bites Cool

We feed all the other strays in the neighborhood, wonder if I can buy some monkey chow at the pet store?
roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:32 pm
@jcboy,
Forget WalMart. They don't even carry midget food.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:04 pm
@jcboy,
They are baiting the trap with sandwiches...so I guess you don't need to go to Walmart.

Here is the creature
http://abcnews.go.com/images/News/ap_tampa_bay_monkey_ll_121010_wblog.jpg

and a recent article..
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/10/mystery-monkey-on-lam-after-biting-fla-woman/

My favorite line:
“… Seemingly unfazed by humans, it has been spotted several times relaxing beside people’s swimming pools,”…

And the guy trying to trap the little creature sounds suspiciously like Bill Murry in Caddie Shack
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:24 pm
Feces-covered man arrested in Stuart

A man who smelled of booze and was covered in feces was arrested after being found sitting next to an air conditioning unit, according to recently-released records.

TCPalm reports that Martin County sheriff's deputies about 9:35 a.m. on Sept. 30 went to an address on Southeast Graham Drive in Stuart after a report that a man relieved himself in the yard and was now sitting on the side of the residence. The homeowner said she saw the man, identified as Samuel Niday, 37, near the air conditioning unit as he prepared to empty his bladder.

She said she closed the drapes and called for her husband. They took their 3-year-old child off the back patio and secured the house. A deputy told Niday to stand up and walk to the front of the house. His shorts were falling off. "Niday also had feces on and about his body," a report states.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Yes,,,, asideaways is spelled correctly.

Prove it!
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:37 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yeah, you got me, it should be ASSsideaways.

But here's this: Gov Scott fucks up!

Joe(Now you've got me all cattywampus.)Nation
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
I wonder if he has called that number so many times that he automatically posted that as his number.
0 Replies