Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2023 08:04 am
https://imgur.com/098uPlj.jpg
Driver of ‘Booty Patrol’ truck that resembled Border Patrol is cited in Florida
RPhalange

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2023 10:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah I saw this on the news - it was an 18 year old kid that thought it was funny. Wonder if he got any action as a result? And if he had someone do this work for him, I would expect they should know not to at least put the decals on it.

"The car's owner 18-year-old Gabriel Luviano talked to USA TODAY Wednesday, and he explained that his car has been decorated this way for more than a year.

"It's just funny, it was never meant to be anything bad," he said."

Luviano said the car has blue lights installed , but he only turns them on while on private property. For example, he takes the cars to shows where he says lots of attendees get a kick out of the look."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2024 02:33 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2024 10:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Frozen iguanas are falling from trees in Florida – here's why you don't need to worry
Quote:
While falling iguanas are more often stunned rather than dead, they can be inconvenient or even dangerous. In some cases, they’ve damaged cars or injured people. So, when walking in Florida during colder temperatures, looking up is advisable. Experts say there are some things you shouldn’t do if you see one, too. Thompson advises that people should leave them be: "The FWC reminds the public that if they encounter a cold stunned iguana, they should not bring it into their homes. Iguanas are wild animals and once they recover and warmup, they could act defensively."

She adds, "Green iguanas were added to Florida’s Prohibited list on April 29, 2021 and people cannot be in possession of live green iguanas without a permit. Because they are not native to Florida, it is illegal to release or relocate captured iguanas."

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 06:18 am
Florida bill would make it defamation to accuse someone of racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 11:51 am
@hightor,

F#ck Florida!
jcboy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 02:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have no regrets moving out of Florida and back to California. Never seen backward hillbillies until I lived there and drove through parts of the state.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 02:28 pm
@hightor,
Wow, wow, wow. Just wow.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2024 07:27 am
@tsarstepan,

That was very sexist! And since Florida is shaped like a phallus, perhaps homophobic also.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2024 05:07 am
Florida man bludgeons father to death after learning he got 'the vaccine:' Investigators
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2024 10:25 am
Climate-crisis deniers sought for exclusive Florida residence. Private ark essential
Quote:
Gordon Pointe is going for a snip at $295m – but set in a location particularly vulnerable to sea-level rises, buyers should beware

Reality deniers with big pockets are sought by a family of Floridian property developers hoping to sell the most expensive home in the US: a waterfront property on the market for $295m (£234m). The compound squats on Gordon Pointe peninsula, a spit of beachfront in south-west Florida, extending perilously into the Gulf of Mexico. The late financier John Donahue bought the land for $1m in 1985, when it was a beautiful remote nature spot, protected by mangroves, with a small fisherman’s cottage on it. He soon razed this and replaced it with McMansions with de rigueur swimming pools and lawns. Offered for your $295m are three houses with parking for yachts and other conveniences for the wealthy sea-level-rise gambler. The Donahue family is selling at the right time. This is one of the parts of the world most vulnerable to climate impacts, with sea levels rising three times faster than the global average, and increasing risk from hurricane damage. The whole neighbourhood, Port Royal, has been categorised as at “extreme risk of flooding” over the next 30 years, and is regularly hit by weather disasters, making it very expensive to get home insurance. Buyer beware, as Canute might say. Diminishing returns…
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 04:48 am
Woman claims "God" directed her to shoot cars on I-10 in Florida during eclipse

Florida Highway Patrol took the woman into custody

Quote:
• Monday, Florida Highway Patrol took a 22-year-old woman from Georgia into custody after they said she shot at cars on Interstate 10 in Florida's pandhandle.
• The woman had recently checked out of a local hotel and told the staff she was going on a shooting spree, directed by “God” in relation to the solar eclipse.
• Read the FHP report below to see how they took her into custody.

FHP REPORT:

Florida Highway Patrol Troopers responded to a report of an active shooter in Holmes County. The suspect was reportedly a female who had recently checked out of a local hotel and told the staff she was going on a shooting spree, directed by “God” in relation to the solar eclipse.

The suspect, driving a purple Dodge Challenger with Georgia plates, entered Interstate 10 (I-10) at the 112-mile marker and traveled westbound.

Within 5 miles of entering the interstate, the suspect fired multiple shots into another vehicle traveling along the interstate, striking the passing car multiple times.

The driver was struck by glass fragments from the window and grazed on the arm by a bullet; however, he was able to steer his vehicle onto the shoulder of the road, away from the suspect.

Continuing westbound on I-10, the suspect shot at another vehicle near the 107- mile marker, hitting the driver in the neck. The victim was taken to a nearby hospital and is currently receiving treatment.

Responding Troopers located the suspect near the 96- mile marker and conducted a felony traffic stop. After the suspect was taken into custody, troopers recovered an AR-15 and a 9mm handgun within the purple Challenger.

The suspect, identified as Taylon Nichelle Celestine, 22, of Georgia, was taken into custody without incident and transported to the Holmes County Jail where she was booked on the following charges:

• Attempted Murder
• Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon
• Improper Discharge of Firearm

The Florida Highway Patrol Bureau of Investigations and Intelligence (BCII) is conducting the investigation, which is ongoing.

source
0 Replies