President Endorses Gay Marriage

Ceili

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 06:12 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Meanwhile, as a Commonwealth country, you do not even own the land of your own country.

Ummm, wrong.

Foofie wrote:

There is something that goes back to the Middle Ages whereby the British crown still has hegemony over all land of the Commonwealth nations, I believe. So, you too are part of an empire that has its blemishes in India/Australia/the West Indies, and likely every Commonwealth country that exists.

Blaming Canada for the crimes in India is like saying Papua New Guineans are guilty for causing the Irish famine.
Foofie wrote:

Do you really think that Canadian WASP's were any less ethically responsible for Britain's political/colonial adventures, as a Commonwealth country, than the U.S.?

We've never started a war. Not once. Never.
England and Canada are two separate countries, with two separate governments. We don't make their decisions or vice versa.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 06:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I said that years ago but at this point I'm only amused, if I tune in, rare.
This just occurs to you now, Cyclo?
No, I've no interest at all in chasing down where I said that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:19 pm
@Ceili,
http://abundanthope.net/pages/Political_Information_43/Who-Owns-the-World-Queen-Elizabeth-II-the-largest-landowner-on-Earth_printer.shtml

The author of this link wrote a book that I read. The book was at the library.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 04:44 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

So does that statistic verify for you that Obama's announcement carried some political risk for him?

Nope. it verifies for me that he is desperate and his usual tricks aren't working quite so well anymore.

snood wrote:

And, where in the bejeebers did I ever suggest that I know gay better than a gay man?

Please spare me the "Who me?" nonsense.

I don't know what "knowing gay" means but you certainly have assumed for yourself the mantle of Protecter of Gay Rights and in the course of your assumed assignment flung around all sorts of "suggestions" about those with whom you disagree.

Sturgis came into the thread, expressing the opinion of a Gay Man that didn't line up with your preaching, and you entirely ducked him.

JTT

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 04:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Sturgis came into the thread, expressing the opinion of a Gay Man that didn't line up with your preaching, and you entirely ducked him.

Snood did that, Finn? He's American, right? Americans don't duck issues, do they, Finn? You'd never do that, would ya?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:22 pm
@JTT,
You've really been taking it in the chops these days JTT.

More so on other threads, but I'm on this one now and don't care to search for the others.

It's amazing that you have managed to alienate both the Right and the Left on A2K, but hey, such is the burden of the lone voice in the wilderness.

Your trashing by A2K's Lefties almost makes me want to embrace you.

What I love is the typical Liberal response to your vitriol (as most recently expressed by Cyclo):

Quote:
Hey man, I often agree with you: America sucks dude, but you're getting boring. We want to rant along the Democrat's talking points and you keep insisting on entering these threads and interrupting us.

Let's stipulate that America has a long history of being nasty (thanks to all those Rich Fucks) and move on!

Obama is president now and so we have to turn a blind eye toward the assassination of American citizens by predator drones. Likewise, we don't want to talk about his violating the sovereignty of places like Pakistan.

At least with me you get an honest "You're full of **** JTT, " and not the sort of treatment that can be likened to a parent telling their hyper-active child: "We love you son, but Mommy and Daddy need adult time and you need to go to bed now."

I'll say this for you, you don't seem to (often) play favorites.

But, you are boring, and a "troll."

Surely you can spend the time you devote to this forum to better effect.

Has it not been proven, by now, that you are making very little to no headway?

Alas, your dedication to this particular forum simply undermines any perception of your conviction.

Anyone can sit at a keyboard all day and hammer out polemics, and if those polemics are confined to such a restricted group as A2K then surely they are of little value.

Perhaps your goals are quite modest, and you are only looking to turn one or two people.

Fair enough, since you have a better chance of that then transforming all of society.

In any case, you will keep on keeping on in the manner you've embraced. That, is quite clear.

I took you off "ignore" because you seem to have given up on your ridiculously obsessive pursuit of me and I get a kick, now and then, from someone of your comments.

Not that you care, but when your obsessive pursuit of me returns to ridiculous levels I'll resort, once again, to "ignore."

In the meantime, keep giving these Liberals hell despite their desire to brush you away.

They are the folks who tell you they often agree with you., and one would think they are the ones you might turn.

I know you deny you are the Marburg of Abuzz, but I know better.

The irony is that you can return to your Marburgian rants about how American soldiers in foreign lands need to be blown apart or killed and it wouldn’t change anything in this forum.

Conservatives would find you vile (as they do now) and Liberals would tell you that they agree with much of what you say, respect your right to call for America's soldiers to die in horrible ways, but scold you for being boring.

They, have bigger fish to fry.

snood

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

snood wrote:

So does that statistic verify for you that Obama's announcement carried some political risk for him?

Nope. it verifies for me that he is desperate and his usual tricks aren't working quite so well anymore.

snood wrote:

And, where in the bejeebers did I ever suggest that I know gay better than a gay man?

Please spare me the "Who me?" nonsense.

I don't know what "knowing gay" means but you certainly have assumed for yourself the mantle of Protecter of Gay Rights and in the course of your assumed assignment flung around all sorts of "suggestions" about those with whom you disagree.

Finn, whatever it is - whether its your antipathy for me that's causing your response to me to be frothing babble, or whether its just your wont to make not much sense in general... it doesn't matter. Whatever the case, your words say nothing and mean less. (Perhaps its the prospect of 4 more years of Obama that's unhinging you?)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
When did I express anything like that? Laughing

The Boring part is right tho. And America does have a history of being nasty; not due to rich folks, but due to greedy folks and bigots. The two are often not the same at all.

Why drag me into your argument, finn?

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:47 pm
@snood,
Snood you are intellectually fraudulent and cowardly.

Here is your verbatim response to a post of mine that, while not respectful, was not vitriolic:

Quote:
You're so full of bullcrap you should be condemned as a public health hazard.

Obama's very unpopular stand against the Iraq war when he was a state senator was clearly a stand taken on principle. Others followed suit when the tide of public opinion turned, but for a while his was a lone voice.

And it takes hopelessly sold-out abysmal tools like you to only see a calculated upside to Obama's gay marriage announcement - anyone with half an honest brain can see that it has as much potential potential risk as benefit.

Obama has certainly shown more backbone and willingness to speak unpopular truth in 3 years than, oh say the republican candidate has his whole freakin life.

If he had waited to announce at the convention, you rightwingnuts would say it was political calculation. If he continued to postpone taking a stand inevitably, you'd carp that he wasn't as "hopey changey" as he'd promised. No matter when he took this stand, you'd find a way to pronounce it as empty and useless and bray about how his supporters are naive and gullible.

Conservatives have nothing to be proud of - certainly not this soulless, empty suit whose kool-aid pumping tin heart couldn't muster a strong stand on something if his corporate enslaved life depended on it.

So you sling shyt at the only thing moving at all. It wouldn't be so bad if you could admit that you'd rather yank out your eyeteeth than admit what Obama has done well. You're not only boringly predictable in your denouncements of Obama and his supporters, but your one-note corrosiveness belies an ugliness that can't even see itself.

And now you attempt to assume the role of a victim of unjust animus.

(Come to think of it, you do tend to reflexively assume the role of victim in any discussion)

As usual you never respond to the points a person who disagrees with your polemics might make. Either your attack them, ignore them, or feign victim status.

Whatever your age, you are the foster son of Eric Holder: Americans are cowards for not addressing the issues you hold dear, but when they do they, inalterably, prove themselves to be racists, bigots and "tools."

Snood as Denzel? What a freaking laugh.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I "dragged" you into my argument because you are a perfect example of the Lefties who tell JTT: "I agree with you most of the time, but you are now boring."

With what do you agree?

That America really, really sucks?

That's JTT's message.

Pardon me, because I missed the many posts of yours wherein you told JTT his basic premise was crap, and only noticed those which accused him of being a "one trick pony" (which he is), boring and disruptive.

JTT

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I know you deny you are the Marburg of Abuzz, but I know better.

Illustrative of just how much you do know, Finn.

Do you delude yourself on this issue, just like you do on most issues, so that you can dredge up all your old animosity?

I heard a good quote the other day.

“Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind.”
― Dr. Seuss

You do matter because I truly hate to see someone like you who is so damn delusional.

USians are woefully ignorant of the history of their country, you included, Finn. I'm partially rectifying that. But that's been the plan all along, for successive US administrations.

Isn't it ironic, y'all got rid of King G because of your dislike for absolute power, [that's the story anywoo, but who are they trying to kid - it was simple greed.] and ya stick in a position of president, a lot of the nation fawning over one guy, another chunk for the other, the smart ones knowing what a scam the whole deal is.

These guys do things that would have made kings blush.

Probably the best thing that has come out of all this is a much reduced level of that over the top bragging about what a great country the US is.

So you keep telling your lies, practicing your deceptions, Finn, and I'll keep setting out the truth. I know that you have little regard for the truth. That just makes it all the more fun.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
That America really, really sucks?

That's JTT's message.

It's not amazing, though one would think it is, Finn, that you can be so wrong so much of the time. You read, but you don't comprehend. You have a fixed mind set and nothing is ever going to change it.

America doesn't suck.

WHAT AMERICA DOES SUCKS!

Killing people for no reason except to steal their wealth sucks. Even you and Cy and everyone else agrees with that but y'all are ready to deny the truth just to perpetuate the fantasy that the US has invaded just about every country on the planet to help the oppressed.

That has NEVER been the case.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
And America does have a history of being nasty; not due to rich folks, but due to greedy folks and bigots. The two are often not the same at all.

Here's Cy, Mr I address the facts distorting, as he always does when it comes to the US. Your tune was a whole lot different when Calamity Jane schooled you on US "nastiness", wasn't it, Cy?

Why do you use such careful [distorted] language to describe the things the US has done, which are the equal of what Nazi Germany did.

The US has never come to grips with its innumerable war crimes, nor its unbelievable rapacious nature.

Quote:
Why drag me into your argument, finn?

Because he has found in you a soul mate, someone who has as little regard for the truth as he does. Now that we've got you in, let's discuss how the US is not a terrorist nation because it has a mighty military so it doesn't have to do terrorism.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 07:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
In truth and fairness, Snood did respond. Look at page 7 of this thread. I made a post, he responded directly after. I was not here for a day or so and when I returned ready to reply the thread had devolved. Add to that, I had already stated my case. Snood didn't seem to understand it and since the thread was already in chaotic collapse, I did not see reason to further engage on the issue.

My statements at the start of page 7 sum up my thoughts.

snood said:
Quote:
If he had waited to announce at the convention, you rightwingnuts would say it was political calculation. If he continued to

postpone taking a stand inevitably, you'd carp that he wasn't as "hopey changey" as he'd promised. No matter when he took this stand, you'd find a way to pronounce it as empty and useless and bray about how his supporters are naive and gullible.

to which I responded:
Quote:

Here's the thing snood, I myself am a homosexual male and should by rights be leaping about like a troll being told he just won a lifetime supply of bridges; however, I am not.

What I saw in President Obama's move was politics plain and simple. It was a calculated move and to deny it shows ignorance on your part. Now, if that makes me a rightwingnut then so be it. I do tend a little towards the right at times; however, I have been known to vote Democrat. You and many others prance around with blinders on pretending that all Democrats are saints, all Republicans are evil beasts who must be felled.

Yes, he spoke up; however, I am still not convinced it was real. We have seen President Obama speak on issues and have witnessed a fiery passion. His monotone delivery when speaking of gays having the right to marry was just scripted words exiting his mouth. I heard and saw nothing to even indicate he was alive; a hologram would have been more convincing.

He chose to do this in a one on one interview as opposed to a press conference. Too staged here for my liking.

So, yes, I am glad he said something and I do believe it is a positive step forward for the country; yet, there was something about his timing and even more, there was something lacking in his delivery which has left me cold. Further, I'd not be particularly surprised if come January or February of next year (if he is re-elected), to find him backing away from this as people push for him to work towards legalizing same sex marriage.
JTT

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 07:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Pardon me, because I missed the many posts of yours wherein you told JTT his basic premise was crap,

There've been numerous posts like that, Finn, but nothing more from anyone, certainly not you, for a very simple reason. And I'm surprised that you haven't noticed it before. The only one who has ever noticed was/is Hawkeye.

In Gracie's thread, where you, and everyone else, were falling all over themselves trying to get a hold of the gun to shoot the piano player, Hawkeye wondered aloud, noting that there sure were a lot of "kill the messenger" folks, why there was no one addressing the articles I had posted, why there was no one poking holes in the descriptions found within.

That's been the case since the get go, Finn.

Actually, that's not completely accurate - Gracie noticed it, too. She wondered if this stuff was true why didn't anyone ever talk about it. She thought there should be a lot more discussion.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:30 pm
Thanks Sturgis for explaining about the break in your responses. I think this exchange between us would be a lot more civil if it was just between you and I without the spoutings of those only desirous of contention.

Anyway, Rolling Eyes I don't think I "prance around thinking all Democrats are saints and all Republicans are evil" or whatever, but I understand that you and I have differing takes on the genuineness of Obama's intentions.

My question to you, though, I still don't think you answered:
Is there any way (or time) Obama could have made his statement so that you wouldn't think it was totally and coldly political?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 05:33 am
@snood,
Quote:
Thanks Sturgis for explaining about the break in your responses. I think this exchange between us would be a lot more civil if it was just between you and I without the spoutings of those only desirous of contention.

Anyway, I don't think I "prance around thinking all Democrats are saints and all Republicans are evil" or whatever, but I understand that you and I have differing takes on the genuineness of Obama's intentions.

My question to you, though, I still don't think you answered:
Is there any way (or time) Obama could have made his statement so that you wouldn't think it was totally and coldly political?
It would be easier if we were in a one on one discussion; however, it would then take away the views of others.

My difficulties with President Obama go back to 2008 and have continued forward.

Back to the question of how the President could have made a better presentation.
As I said earlier, I have seen President Obama speak with a passion. This was lacking from his talk with Robin Roberts. A few days later at the Barnard College commencements he was there with a beaming smile and looking alive, not like a victim in a chair being forced to say something.

Additionally, there was the timing. The President went from being on one side of the fence to leaping over it (or being shoved through an opening known as the Joe Biden Gap) and being on the other side. It happened too quickly for me and seemed somehow planned and forced.

Were the statements by Joe Biden intended or were they just Biden being a man who says what he thinks and feels? Either way, President Obama then ran with that introductory, and days later was pronouncing himself as open minded and pro-gay marriage. Really? I'm a homosexual man who didn't arrive at this place so swiftly.

It also reminded me of his sudden action on the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. He was reminded that votes hinged on his getting it removed and he went from saying others had to tend to it, to taking matters into his own hands. It happened with equal swiftness and seemed contrived.

When President Obama believes in something, there's a light in eyes and a winning smile. His body moves, he is not a stiff cardboard cutout. If he had displayed even 2 percent of that energy in his talk with Robin Roberts it might have seemed real. If he had waited until mid June or even August, it would have seemed less political, less calculating and staged.

Perhaps I am too critical. Then again, what if I am not? Time will tell.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 05:45 am
Whether or not the president is personally committed seems to me irrelevant, so long as he makes the right moves. If the time is truly on that side of the issue the impetus will see it through. Certainly, Obama is the only presidential candidate taking that side of the issue. The other guy will do all he can to stop it cold.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:46 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
ROBIN ROBERTS: I'm sure it is. One of the hot button issues because of things that have been said by members of your administration, same-sex marriage. In fact, your press secretary yesterday said he would leave it to you to discuss your personal views on that. So Mr. President, are you still opposed to same-sex marriage?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well-- you know, I have to tell you, as I've said, I've-- I've been going through an evolution on this issue. I've always been adamant that-- gay and lesbian-- Americans should be treated fairly and equally. And that's why in addition to everything we've done in this administration, rolling back Don't Ask, Don't Tell-- so that-- you know, outstanding Americans can serve our country. Whether it's no longer defending the Defense Against Marriage Act, which-- tried to federalize-- what is historically been state law.

I've stood on the side of broader equality for-- the L.G.B.T. community. And I had hesitated on gay marriage-- in part, because I thought civil unions would be sufficient. That that was something that would give people hospital visitation rights and-- other-- elements that we take for granted. And-- I was sensitive to the fact that-- for a lot of people, you know, the-- the word marriage was something that evokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs, and so forth.

But I have to tell you that over the course of-- several years, as I talk to friends and family and neighbors. When I think about-- members of my own staff who are incredibly committed, in monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together. When I think about-- those soldiers or airmen or marines or-- sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf-- and yet, feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask, Don't Tell is gone, because-- they're not able to-- commit themselves in a marriage.

At a certain point, I've just concluded that-- for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that-- I think same-sex couples should be able to get married. Now-- I have to tell you that part of my hesitation on this has also been I didn't want to nationalize the issue. There's a tendency when I weigh in to think suddenly it becomes political and it becomes polarized.

And what you're seeing is, I think, states working through this issue-- in fits and starts, all across the country. Different communities are arriving at different conclusions, at different times. And I think that's a healthy process and a healthy debate. And I continue to believe that this is an issue that is gonna be worked out at the local level, because historically, this has not been a federal issue, what's recognized as a marriage.

ROBIN ROBERTS: Well, Mr. President, it's-- it's not being worked out on the state level. We saw that Tuesday in North Carolina, the 30th state to announce its ban on gay marriage.

continued at the source

I think he was sincere but sort of conflicted on trying to balance idealogicial beliefs and taking away rights of citizens, so he wasn't as fired up as he when talking about something that wouldn't bring those conflict such as economic policies and issues like that. I think he himself is a little conflicted and it showed in his response.

Most of my family is democrat but also religious and we wrestle with these issues every day.

I also think after Biden said what he said, he pretty well had to say something when asked in an interview. Now whether the Biden thing was staged, perhaps. The whole thing is risky in any event, people have not evolved that much in the rurual states on this issue.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:18 pm
With all the problems we have in this country why is this a national issue? I have been a christian all my life "76 years" and I have come to the conclusion that ultra religiosity and stupidity coexist. Its ok to send our gay people to fight in a foreign country that means nothing to most people but wrong to give them the same rights as the majority. If the citizens of this country had even a small ability to think the vast majority of politicians and so called religious would be looking for new jobs after the next election.
0 Replies