President Endorses Gay Marriage

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:37 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

that seems like the most round about way to support something, anyone should be able to marry anyone (or, as far as i'm concerned anything, "i, djjd62, take this toaster to be my lawfully wedded appliance") they want

Apparently you cannot see the aura emanating from my brain. I was giving a rationale that may really be getting to the heart of the issue. That being that gay marriage is to allow gays to have a specific equal right of heteros, that being to fulfill an emotionally mature existence.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 10:52 am
@JTT,
Perhaps, but the ignore feature is utilitarian. I'm told the thumbs up feature is as well, but it seems far less so to me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 11:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Agree with what I wrote or not, it was quite specific, and rationally addressed several issues.

I'm open to the possibility that it was "fucked," but would have appreciated a rational expression of how.

Ed chose to respond with a slur which implies a conceit that he actually is capable of responding rationally but chooses not to...lazy.

If he is not so capable, then he should have just stayed on the sidelines. Instead he chose to inject nothing more than a crude slur...cowardly.

As for your advice on writing, it's quite rich coming from someone who uses "assholish."

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 11:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Utilitarian in a lazy and cowardly sense, like this, Finn.

Ed chose to respond with a slur which implies a conceit that he actually is capable of responding rationally but chooses not to...lazy.

If he is not so capable, then he should have just stayed on the sidelines. Instead he chose to inject nothing more than a crude slur...cowardly.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:34 am
I just think it bears mentioning...

One snapshot of the impact the President's announcement of his own personal affirmation of the "rightness" of gay marriage:

In Maryland for one (and there are others affected similarly), the approval/disapproval opinion percentages, taken before and after the announcement, among black people polled completely flipped. From 55% against and 39% for, to 36% against and 56% for.
The numbers were similarly affected among all voters, just less dramatically.

http://media.washtimes.com/media/image/2012/05/24/marriage_s220x343.jpg?87cf76e254960c1f0a57c1088d93dcb82b57c751
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 11:32 am
@snood,
There's another issue that Obama has failed to communicate to win voters; ObamaCare does away with "socialized" health care. We have socialized health care now; anybody can go to any emergency room of any hospital and get treatment, and all the people who have insurance pay for their care. That's socialized health care. With ObamaCare, everybody must have health insurance. He lets conservatives get away with B.S. all the time, and I'm just frustrated as his inability to communicate the truth.

I've written to President Obama about many issues, but he doesn't answer any of them; just "thanks for your input."
revelette

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Be thankful you get a "thank you for your input." I have only two letters from elected officials in my life and they were both this year in response to the recent dustup with the contraceptive issues. They were both arguments in favor of GOP talking points. My husband started laughing asking if they were going to send people to our house.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 12:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I've written to President Obama about many issues, but he doesn't answer any of them; just "thanks for your input."

Did you remind him that he had a golden opportunity to be the first non-war criminal president, CI?

Did you suggest that he take a principled stand and not pander to all those cry baby Americans who are the first line of idiots screaming for the US to invade another innocent country, kill hundreds of thousands or millions, ruin millions of lives, spread WMDs all over hells half acre, ... .

Or do you, in your letters, simply whine about how tough life is for Americans?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 08:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There's another issue that Obama has failed to communicate to win voters; ObamaCare does away with "socialized" health care. We have socialized health care now; anybody can go to any emergency room of any hospital and get treatment, and all the people who have insurance pay for their care. That's socialized health care. With ObamaCare, everybody must have health insurance. He lets conservatives get away with B.S. all the time, and I'm just frustrated as his inability to communicate the truth.

Poor old CI! Belly-aching about poor folks getting medical care in an ER.

But old CI takes how many vacations to far away lands each and every year?
And, then CI brags to all the folks on A2K about how great his annuity payments are and how lucky he's been, while the US unemployment hovers near 8.1%.

What do you suppose old CI would do, if the annuity payments would suddenly stop coming?

If old CI is against socialized medicine, why won't he give up his Medicare
option?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 12:24 pm
@Miller,
Miller, You evidently do not understand my stance on universal health care that I've been advocating for all my life. Your thesis about me is not only wrong, but stupid!

I'm not "bellyaching." Just stating facts.

Why do you have a need to talk about my lifestyle? Are you jealous?

Yes, I have the means to travel the world. That's because we had the temerity to save during our working years. It's called planning for the future.

You're an idiot.
Foofie

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Miller, You evidently do not understand my stance on universal health care that I've been advocating for all my life. Your thesis about me is not only wrong, but stupid!

I'm not "bellyaching." Just stating facts.

Why do you have a need to talk about my lifestyle? Are you jealous?

Yes, I have the means to travel the world. That's because we had the temerity to save during our working years. It's called planning for the future.

You're an idiot.

I am not jealous of your lifestyle; I do not like to travel; I consider it a frivolous activity. I am just jealous of your genome. It might allow for more longevity than a European genome.
Thomas

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:46 pm
@Foofie,
CI was talking to Miller. Why are you responding on behalf of her? Is the physical person behind both accounts the same?
Foofie

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 08:00 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

CI was talking to Miller. Why are you responding on behalf of her? Is the physical person behind both accounts the same?

Miller is another poster. I was responding since I do feel that CI's genome might be better at longevity than mine, even though the Ashkenazi genome is being studied for longevity. Why not compliment CI on his genome?
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 06:11 pm
Love this...black pastor explains the difference between christian beliefs and the constitution...and how its not right to legislate love...as he goes on he attacks the TRUE reasons for the break down of marriage...all I can say is kudos to the black churches for coming around...they are moving quicker than anyone right now on true equality...and THAT creates peace...not divisive wars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/28/otis-moss-iii-challenges-on-marriage-equality_n_1550449.html?ref=religion
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 10:13 am
Quote:
The New York Times
May 31, 2012
Appeals Court Rules Against Defense of Marriage Act

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON (AP) — A federal appeals court Thursday declared that the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutionally denies federal benefits to married gay couples, a groundbreaking ruling all but certain to wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

In its unanimous decision, the three-judge panel of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston said the 1996 law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman deprives gay couples of the rights and privileges granted to heterosexual couples.

The court didn't rule on the law's more politically combustible provision, which said states without same-sex marriage cannot be forced to recognize gay unions performed in states where it's legal. It also wasn't asked to address whether gay couples have a constitutional right to marry.

The law was passed at a time when it appeared Hawaii would legalize gay marriage. Since then, many states have instituted their own bans on gay marriage, while eight states have approved it, led by Massachusetts in 2004.

The court, the first federal appeals panel to deem the benefits section of the law unconstitutional, agreed with a lower level judge who ruled in 2010 that the law interferes with the right of a state to define marriage and denies married gay couples federal benefits given to heterosexual married couples, including the ability to file joint tax returns.

The 1st Circuit said its ruling wouldn't be enforced until the U.S. Supreme Court decides the case, meaning that same-sex married couples will not be eligible to receive the economic benefits denied by DOMA until the high court rules.

That's because the ruling only applies to states within the circuit, including Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire and Puerto Rico. Only the Supreme Court has the final say in deciding whether a law passed by Congress is unconstitutional.

Although most Americans live in states where the law still is that marriage can only be the union of a man and a woman, the power to define marriage had always been left to the individual states before Congress passed DOMA, the appeals court said in its ruling.

"One virtue of federalism is that it permits this diversity of governance based on local choice, but this applies as well to the states that have chosen to legalize same-sex marriage," Judge Michael Boudin wrote for the court. "Under current Supreme Court authority, Congress' denial of federal benefits to same-sex couples lawfully married in Massachusetts has not been adequately supported by any permissible federal interest."

During arguments before the court last month, a lawyer for gay married couples said the law amounts to "across-the-board disrespect." The couples argued that the power to define and regulate marriage had been left to the states for more than 200 years before Congress passed DOMA.

An attorney defending the law argued that Congress had a rational basis for passing it in 1996, when opponents worried that states would be forced to recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere. The group said Congress wanted to preserve a traditional and uniform definition of marriage and has the power to define terms used to federal statutes to distribute federal benefits.

Since DOMA was passed in 1996, many states have instituted their own bans on gay marriage, while eight states have approved it, including Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maryland, Washington state and the District of Columbia. Maryland and Washington's laws are not yet in effect and may be subject to referendums.

Last year, President Barack Obama announced the U.S. Department of Justice would no longer defend the constitutionality of the law. After that, House Speaker John Boehner convened the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group to defend it. The legal group argued the case before the appeals court.

Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, the Boston-based legal group that brought one of the lawsuits on behalf of gay married couples, said the law takes one group of legally married people and treats them as "a different class" by making them ineligible for benefits given to other married couples.

"We've been working on this issue for so many years, and for the court to acknowledge that yes, same-sex couples are legally married, just as any other couple, is fantastic and extraordinary," said Lee Swislow, GLAD's executive director.

Two of the three judges who decided the case Thursday were Republican appointees, while the other was a Democratic appointee. Boudin was appointed by President George H.W. Bush, while Judge Juan Torruella was appointed by President Ronald Reagan. Chief Judge Sandra Lynch is an appointee of President Bill Clinton.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/05/31/us/ap-us-gay-marriage-federal-benefits.html?_r=1&hpw
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:25 pm
@firefly,
Regardless of whether or not it should be, does anyone think that this will be the end of this matter?
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:44 pm
People with shallow minds don't really get the common sense of life, do they? Why the core of love from one human being to another, despite their sexual orientation has to be determinate by Law? Therefore shouldn’t we all have the Freedom to love and being loved without any nonsense discrimination?

Shame on the People that Think that Are Better Than Others!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:56 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Human nature; most want to feel superior and control other people's lives, because their own life is so blah!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:56 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
A whole lot of things "should" be. But we are flawed human beings who have to live amongst other flawed human beings, and sometimes we need laws and government to provide the framework of structure that induces us to do what we "should".
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 08:16 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
How utterly rich.

Quote:
People with shallow minds don't really get the common sense of life, do they?

Quote:
Shame on the People that Think that Are Better Than Others!

I doubt you get it even now.