President Endorses Gay Marriage

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:18 pm
@firefly,
Wonderful! I hope that concludes Obama's "evolving" on the issue.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:18 pm
@snood,
i've often heard of politicians pursuing a mandate, i hope he'll be very happy

how does michelle feel about it?
snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:23 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i've often heard of politicians pursuing a mandate, i hope he'll be very happy

how does michelle feel about it?

What do you mean by "pursuing a mandate"? That he did this because it will make him more popular? Michelle says she feels the same way - that gays should be able to marry.
snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:25 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Wonderful! I hope that concludes Obama's "evolving" on the issue.

There are a lot of people of good conscience who have been torn about this issue to one degree or another. In a perfect non-pc world, everyone would be okay with "evolving" at their own pace.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:27 pm
@snood,
as a wise man once said

doesn't anyone remember laughter

snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:35 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

as a wise man once said

doesn't anyone remember laughter

Tell a joke. I'll laugh at it. This subject doesn't really strike me as guffaw-inducing banter.
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:37 pm
@snood,
As a fellow resident, I do not begrudge citizen Obama his right to 'evolve' at his own pace. Nevertheless, I prefer that as a person who governs me, president Obama pursue policies that do not discriminate gratuitously. In particular, I prefer that president Obama not 'evolve' back to a place where he resumes the needlessly discriminatory policies of the past. PC has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you felt the same way about Storm Thurmond and his 'evolving' views on segregation.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:39 pm
@snood,
the fact that anyone needs to discuss it at all is the laughable part

it should be a given

and i can't miss an opportunity to mock a politician, even one i sort of, kind of, (as much as it's possible for me to do so, and that ain't much) like
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:54 pm
It was a good time to announce it. The ones who feel shock will get over it by election time. The dipshits who hold it against him were not going to vote for him anyway - as has been pointed out.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:54 pm
I'm glad Obama is a same sex marriage supporter...and I am happy he has now articulated that position to the media.

I have long felt that same sex marriage was inevitable...and I am happy that a president finally was able to go on record as being in favor. I think he handled it exceptionally well by framing it in the context of favoring the rights of states to make decisions of this sort.

Now he will have to tackle the issue of recognition among states...which probably will be a thornier problem.

I also think this places lots of pressure on Mitt Romney to take a firm stand on the "states have the right to legalize" question.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:57 pm
I suppose it will be a prolonged denouement, but the fight is going on anyway; might as well be clear.

I feel today somewhat less than usual that the veritable Barbarians have taken over. Not that I'm knocking Barbarians as a group compared with the rest of us, that's just a phrase I think I learned as a kid.

I think it is a dangerous time, given some enraged folks out there. But I'm not sure it does more than notch up some ongoing Obama hatred. I agree it's a watershed, but flow isn't always direct and speedy.

People do come to changing conclusions in their own time with their own reasoning. Me at nineteen: I had no clue at all about homosexuality. There must have been inferences for me to make in books or articles but they went over my head. Learned a bit in Psych 101, but not, ya' know, much; that was 1960. A half century later, marriage union is an obvious civil liberty to me, for a 'civilized' society.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:01 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it should be a given

and i can't miss an opportunity to mock a politician, even one i sort of, kind of, (as much as it's possible for me to do so, and that ain't much) like

This attitude - the "I can't even believe people still discuss this" attitude...

is NOT helpful. People DIFFER on this. Mocking those on the other side of the argument, or those who don't agree strongly or quickly enough with you, doesn't make you the more civilized or more anything.
snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:03 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

As a fellow resident, I do not begrudge citizen Obama his right to 'evolve' at his own pace. Nevertheless, I prefer that as a person who governs me, president Obama pursue policies that do not discriminate gratuitously. In particular, I prefer that president Obama not 'evolve' back to a place where he resumes the needlessly discriminatory policies of the past. PC has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you felt the same way about Storm Thurmond and his 'evolving' views on segregation.

Bad example. I met Strom Thurmond. He didn't evolve, and didn't pretend to.
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:05 pm
@snood,
You get my point, though.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:05 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

it should be a given

This attitude - the "I can't even believe people still discuss this" attitude...

is NOT helpful. People DIFFER on this. Mocking those on the other side of the argument, or those who don't agree strongly or quickly enough with you, doesn't make you the more civilized or more anything.

Yeah, about that? I sort of think it does.

Cycloptichorn
snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Opinions and assholes.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:07 pm
@snood,
people are idiots, i can't help that there are opposing sides, some things like equal rights and affordable and decent healthcare are a given to me (it doesn't hurt that i live in canada either)

in terms of politics and politicians, i don't mock those on the other side, i mock everyone, they're all scumbags, some less scummy and baggy than others
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:08 pm
@snood,
And, thanks for correcting me. On consulting Wikipedia, I notice that you're right. The senator I had in mind was Byrd, not Thurmont.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:09 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Opinions and assholes.

it's not true you know, i only have one asshole, i have lots of opinions

come to think of it, perhaps that should be, i only am one asshole
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:13 pm
@snood,
Part of the problem to me is that many think as I used to, that marriage is a religious institution. It is, can be, but it is also a separate civil institution. Religions are welcome (to me) to guard their own houses - but not everyone's.

I don't know how it is now in Italy, but when I was first there in the eighties, many people were married twice, once at the chiesa, and once at the state (or was it city?) office. Thus two excuses to wear bridal gowns and have great food.
0 Replies