24
   

What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

 
 
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 08:43 am
While this discussion is meant for those who believe in gods, ghosts, and the like, this discussion is (of course) open to anyone who wants to participate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 24,082 • Replies: 607

 
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 09:25 am
@Tapout89,
Perhaps you can lead off here with what you believe?
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 09:38 am
@Ragman,
Maybe he's met Mrs. Battersby.

0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 09:46 am
@Ragman,
It does look like an ambush thread, doesn't it?
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 09:51 am
@Setanta,
Sniffing now
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 11:12 am
@Tapout89,
not a big fan of the christian god, but if the pathetic beings we call humans are all there is to existence, then, imho, existence sucks

bring on the gnomes and the unicorns
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 12:31 pm
@djjd62,
Casper is pretty cute for a guy that gives a sheet, huh?
0 Replies
 
messier3184
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 12:51 pm
@Tapout89,
I think every phenomenon can be explained by natural laws the only things that
lead people to believe in supernatural is lack of human knowledge. If we
(science) can explain all the experiences that people have about ghost, God ...
So they consequently become part of nature! If i want to just answer your
question : Till now I couldn't find any acceptable explanation for God
existence. All the things that people usually refer for existence of God is
just based on random behaviors of the world. Some accidental events (called
miracle) conduct them to believe in God. Ghost is usually refered for explaining
unknown forces in the universe which I hope will be discovered later.
Tapout89
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:16 pm
@messier3184,
But if everything can simply be explained away as you say, then why do people persist in their belief's even when they are presented which such information?
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:18 pm
@Tapout89,
Tapout89 wrote:

But if everything can simply be explained away as you say, then why do people persist in their belief's even when they are presented which such information?


Because many, many people have a lot more sense than messier.
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:26 pm
@Tapout89,
There are various reasons for people's beliefs. It might be analagous to why people believe in leaders and politicians who are demonstrably barbaric and corrupt and show only self interest? If logic was the sole guide, they'd relinquish their belief in such leaders and discard it (and the leaders).

Some people do so, for the same reason they cling to religion in general --
'cause they NEED to for the sake of belonging to something or some group that seems larger than them. Some do because they haven't really thought it out...as they've been bound by family beliefs and/or ancestral tradition. It is an act of faith...not logic.

None of these are reasons basically based on any set logic. Any discussion to attempt to sort out why this is ...is akin to comparing apples with kumquats.
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:32 pm
A lot of people find the alternative hard to take.

And a lot of people are so focussed on ridiculing a belief in the supernatural that it allows them to escape thinking about the alternative.
Lustig Andrei
 
  3  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:36 pm
The only thing wrong with a belief in the supernatural is the use of the word 'supernatural.' It somehow implies hat there is something 'unnatural' about conditions which we, with our limited understanding, cannot explain. In the final analysis, there are no 'miracles,' nothing is 'supernatural.' There is, however, a large body of unexplained (and perhaps unexplainable) phenomena.
messier3184
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
what do you mean?
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:59 pm
@messier3184,
See above.
0 Replies
 
messier3184
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:11 pm
@Tapout89,
I agree with Ragman answer, People need their believes because they are
grown up with them and it has a historical explanation. If you empty them
from their believes they can not find any substitute for them. Believing in God
and ... most of the time helps people and of course can explain a lot of strange
things in human life. God is the MOST SIMPLE ANSWER people can say for
their questions. Most of the people do not have logical explanation for their
believes , They just follow their society and family culture.

My idea about strange things that people usually relate to ghost or God ...
is that history shows us it can be a scientific explanation for them that discover
in future. For example some time in the past people thought rain have a God
who control it but now science have an answer for how it rains and when it rains.
Actually the idea of existence of God was for the phenomena that people
could not explain them. And now we inherit them but I can not accept them.
0 Replies
 
messier3184
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes, I think the only question here is how we can explain things which LOOKS
supernatural by nature laws.
0 Replies
 
Tapout89
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

The only thing wrong with a belief in the supernatural is the use of the word 'supernatural.' It somehow implies hat there is something 'unnatural' about conditions which we, with our limited understanding, cannot explain. In the final analysis, there are no 'miracles,' nothing is 'supernatural.' There is, however, a large body of unexplained (and perhaps unexplainable) phenomena.
Are you implying that people who believe in what we call the "supernatural" are simply misinterpreting natural phenomena or are you saying that their accounts could be accurate but that we just haven't found a better way to explain it?
Tapout89
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:24 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

A lot of people find the alternative hard to take.

And a lot of people are so focussed on ridiculing a belief in the supernatural that it allows them to escape thinking about the alternative.
What alternative would you be referring to?
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:41 pm
@Tapout89,
Tapout89 wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

The only thing wrong with a belief in the supernatural is the use of the word 'supernatural.' It somehow implies hat there is something 'unnatural' about conditions which we, with our limited understanding, cannot explain. In the final analysis, there are no 'miracles,' nothing is 'supernatural.' There is, however, a large body of unexplained (and perhaps unexplainable) phenomena.
Are you implying that people who believe in what we call the "supernatural" are simply misinterpreting natural phenomena or are you saying that their accounts could be accurate but that we just haven't found a better way to explain it?


"There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio."
Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act III.

0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Oily crosses on doors and walls... - Question by Emmalah
Ever seen a ghost? - Discussion by cjhsa
Weird problem with best friend - Question by lbcytq
Orbs... - Question by Seizan
Exorcism of Emily Rose - Question by Thomas33
Storm of the Century - Question by Thomas33
 
  1. Forums
  2. » What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/22/2020 at 11:55:03