What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

spendius

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 07:32 am
@spendius,
That's good innit? After three paragraphs the Prof starts the next one with "But Honestly" as if this next paragraph was different in this important respect from what went before.

Whether it was honest to assert that Otto Rossler had based his argument on a pretty basic error in General Relativity is a matter of opinion. Not knowing the error referred to I prefer to keep an open mind.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-4971042
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 11:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Ahh.. the subtle intricacies of good rhetoric. No wonder there's war in the world. Smile
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 02:55 pm
Nothing is "unexplainable,' but certainly our observational and linguistic ability to communicate is a limitation on what can be currently explained.

I think the largest contributor to supernatual beliefs, is the idea of deterministic narratives. Things like "fate" or "destiny," are reliant on the plan or intervention of an unseen being (or beings). These narratives are popular because they appeal to human vanity, so retiring these beliefs can be difficult internal struggle mentally and emotionally. Given the option between a universe that revolves around you (and your species), verses a universe of nature with no administrative beings, it seems obvious to me why people believe, even though it's totally misguided. The former appeals to people's ego, and that is a very difficult opponent of reason.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:09 pm
@failures art,
So I assume that those who have retired belief have overcome a difficult mental and emotional struggle and are thus to be admired.

I think most Christian beliefs are retired because of the limitations they impose upon sexual conduct. All the other justifications, which are sold on the open market, are added later. The original reason being then repressed.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:11 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Nothing is "unexplainable,' but certainly our observational and linguistic ability to communicate is a limitation on what can be currently explained.

Really! You know for a fact that nothing is unexplainable…or is this just a guess you are making?

Quote:
I think the largest contributor to supernatual beliefs, is the idea of deterministic narratives. Things like "fate" or "destiny," are reliant on the plan or intervention of an unseen being (or beings). These narratives are popular because they appeal to human vanity, so retiring these beliefs can be difficult internal struggle mentally and emotionally. Given the option between a universe that revolves around you (and your species), verses a universe of nature with no administrative beings, it seems obvious to me why people believe, even though it's totally misguided. The former appeals to people's ego, and that is a very difficult opponent of reason.

Art, I am an agnostic. I have no idea if there are things or beings or whatever that would, to any reasonable human, be considered “supernatural.”

You seem to be quite sure there are no such things…which should mean that you are quite sure what the Ultimate REALITY is. You apparently know what can be ruled out.

Are you as sure of that as you made it appear in this comment…or were you just blowing smoke?
failures art

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:21 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

So I assume that those who have retired belief have overcome a difficult mental and emotional struggle and are thus to be admired.

I don't think admiration is needed, no. It is difficult though. Social pressure to believe seems to be for the comfort of others.

spendius wrote:

I think most Christian beliefs are retired because of the limitations they impose upon sexual conduct. All the other justifications, which are sold on the open market, are added later. The original reason being then repressed.

The question is in regards to beliefs in the supernatural, not simply christian mythology. The reasons I believe people retain beliefs in christian myths I believe are the same as other myths. At the base, all of these beliefs offer the believer the same inflated sense of importance and significance to the universe.

A
R
T
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If we were to encounter a race of beings whose perception of reality was far greater than ours and whose technology, as Clarke suggested, was indistinguishable from what we could consider magic, we would likely consider them supernatural.

If humanity is able to achieve such a level of development, we would likely be considered supernatural to less perceptive races we meet along the way.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:33 pm
@Ragman,
good answer
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If we were to encounter a race of beings whose perception of reality was far greater than ours and whose technology, as Clarke suggested, was indistinguishable from what we could consider magic, we would likely consider them supernatural. If humanity is able to achieve such a level of development, we would likely be considered supernatural to less perceptive races we meet along the way.

I doubt that very much, Fin. The notion, for example, that pre-industrial people considered the first European white men they met to be gods is strictly a white man's wishful thinking. There is no evidence for this whatever. We are, no doubt, the most self-centered and arrogant creatures alive. I doubt very much that I would ever consider a visitor from another planet to be a god. I don't know, of course, what your reaction would be.
failures art

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Really! You know for a fact that nothing is unexplainable…or is this just a guess you are making?

Yes really.

The only way such a concept can exist is through language. In other words, just because no known explanation for a phenomena exists, we cannot say it is "unexplainable." We can only state what our limitations are in explaining it. This is easily remedied, by qualifying things lacking an explanation. Saying something is "unexplainable" seems to me to convey that there are things that can never be explained. I think that is an assumption. My position only says that observational and language ability limit what is explained currently, not what can be explained, thus nothing has a quality of being unexplainable.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Art, I am an agnostic. I have no idea if there are things or beings or whatever that would, to any reasonable human, be considered “supernatural.”

You seem to be quite sure there are no such things…which should mean that you are quite sure what the Ultimate REALITY is. You apparently know what can be ruled out.

I'm both an atheist and an agnostic. The terms are not exclusive. We agree that we lack the information to know for sure. This is agnosticism.

Knowledge and belief are categorically different. Atheism is the product of skepticism. It's a statement on belief, not of knowledge.

I.e. - I don't know for sure that there are no gods, but my limitation on my knowledge doesn't compel me to believe in any one or group of them. Having no gods amongst the list of things I believe in, satisfies the only necessary definition of atheist.

Your error is in the whole ultimate reality conclusion regarding what I must believe. I have no burden to rule anything out. This is a terrible methodology. It's the idea that we all start with a full list where we believe in everything, and cross off what we don't.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Are you as sure of that as you made it appear in this comment…or were you just blowing smoke?

Certainty is a factor for both knowledge and belief. How "sure" I am on either for any given supernatural concept is immaterial. I'm not interested in degrees of disbelief.

The Easter Bunny and Neo are both beings I don't believe in. How I could possibly hope to rate which one I believed less in, is silly. The same follows for other mythological beings. The value is Boolean in nature. I do or do not believe. Certainty factors in on what I believe, but it ends there.

I suspect that many Christians feel entitled even in my disbelief; that my skepticism of their mythology is somehow more special or of greater importance. It the idea of being first in line if I decide to believe in something new.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If we were to encounter a race of beings whose perception of reality was far greater than ours and whose technology, as Clarke suggested, was indistinguishable from what we could consider magic, we would likely consider them supernatural. If humanity is able to achieve such a level of development, we would likely be considered supernatural to less perceptive races we meet along the way.

I doubt that very much, Fin. The notion, for example, that pre-industrial people considered the first European white men they met to be gods is strictly a white man's wishful thinking. There is no evidence for this whatever. We are, no doubt, the most self-centered and arrogant creatures alive. I doubt very much that I would ever consider a visitor from another planet to be a god. I don't know, of course, what your reaction would be.

I think Finn is right. He didn't say how that encounter would look.

Imagine then if such a race performed many acts as the man behind the curtain. This could still qualify as an encounter even though the human participants are not fully aware of the actual nature of the alien participant. If such a race of beings understood our supernatural beliefs, it would not be hard to exploit them and choose illusions that would have the most compelling effect.

Don't underestimate theater on a grand scale.

A
R
T
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 04:01 pm
@Ragman,
Self?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 04:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You are assuming that the "visitor" will bother to communicate with you, let alone share with you his/her/it's origins.

How much time do you spend trying to commune with your dog? Arguably, your perception of reality is a whole closer to his than it might be to a sufficiently advanced being.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 04:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
You are assuming that the "visitor" will bother to communicate with you, let alone share with you his/her/it's origins.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm merely asserting that I believe I can tell the difference between reality and fantasy. Granted, there's always a grey area in these things. For example, I have no way of knowing that you're not a 'fallen angel' sent to tempt me into error and wrong thinking. I think that's nonsense and I don't believe it, but I freely admit the possibility.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:14 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
I don't think admiration is needed, no. It is difficult though. Social pressure to believe seems to be for the comfort of others.

Oh--I think you were praising yourself fa and seeking to make yourself popular with those who also have confronted the mental and emotional struggle you referred to and come through triumphant. I expect nothing else.

Quote:
The question is in regards to beliefs in the supernatural, not simply christian mythology.

Well there are thousands of belief systems and as A2K is operating in a Christian world I take it that the thread title refers to Christian attitudes to the supernatural. We are not, I assume, concerned with Tiamet farting the universe out of her arsehole.

Quote:
At the base, all of these beliefs offer the believer the same inflated sense of importance and significance to the universe.

Or a way of going forward, in the Christian dispensation, which had at least the possibility of avoiding the "short, nasty and brutish" scenario which had gone before and which atheists have yet to offer an alternative starting from where Christianity started rather from where they are now with a hard on.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 06:39 pm
@failures art,
Art, I would like to offer a complete response to your last post to me, but I really have to ask something of you first.

You wrote:

Quote:
Yes really.

The only way such a concept can exist is through language. In other words, just because no known explanation for a phenomena exists, we cannot say it is "unexplainable." We can only state what our limitations are in explaining it. This is easily remedied, by qualifying things lacking an explanation. Saying something is "unexplainable" seems to me to convey that there are things that can never be explained. I think that is an assumption. My position only says that observational and language ability limit what is explained currently, not what can be explained, thus nothing has a quality of being unexplainable.

It sound to me as though you are arbitrarily defining everything that exists as being “explainable”…in other words, “not supernatural”…as an argument from authority.

Is there no possibility that you are wrong? (Asked another way, “Have you ever been wrong on anything before?”)

You are supposing your major premise.

Would you comment on that so that I can properly respond to the overall post.

Tapout89

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 07:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

The only thing wrong with a belief in the supernatural is the use of the word 'supernatural.' It somehow implies hat there is something 'unnatural' about conditions which we, with our limited understanding, cannot explain. In the final analysis, there are no 'miracles,' nothing is 'supernatural.' There is, however, a large body of unexplained (and perhaps unexplainable) phenomena.
Not to sound disrespectful or anything but I do disagree with this but I do understand where you are coming from. I would allude the term supernatural to that of alternative medicine. Alternative medicine is either that which is not proven to work or been proven not to work. Now the alternative medicine that is proven to work is then no longer considered alternative medicine, but simply medicine. I feel the same concept can be placed on the "supernatural". The supernatural isn't necessarily unnatural, it's just not understood fully. Once it's process is understood and we are able to explain it, then it would then transfer over and be called natural.
0 Replies

Tapout89

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 07:01 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Well there are thousands of belief systems and as A2K is operating in a Christian world I take it that the thread title refers to Christian attitudes to the supernatural. We are not, I assume, concerned with Tiamet farting the universe out of her arsehole.

Correction, I did not start this thread to solely talk about Christianity, while it is one of the main points I wanted to discuss, it's definitely not the only point. so of the other things were ghost, psychics, and even the stories like big foot or the mothman.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 06:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

It sound to me as though you are arbitrarily defining everything that exists as being “explainable”…in other words, “not supernatural”…as an argument from authority.

Yes, if something exists, it is explainable. This is perfectly consistent and not arbitrary at all. The alternatives are what is arbitrary.

Alternative 1: "Nothing is explainable"
Why it's arbitrary: Because, many things can be currently explained.

Alternative 2: "Somethings are unexplainable"
Why it's arbitrary: Because there is no criteria for what things are indefinitely unexplainable. The proponent of such a position has to picks and chooses what they desire to be unexplainable.

I invoked no argument from authority (I'm X, so therefore Y). I'm only arguing that we arrive at explanations through observation, and explanation is facilitated though a language's ability to describe things.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Is there no possibility that you are wrong? (Asked another way, “Have you ever been wrong on anything before?”)

Your parenthetical aside is a a completely different question. My having ever been wrong, doesn't mean that somethings are unexplainable. In fact, the concept of being wrong can only be supported by the rational process of explanation.

We can go further than this, and explore the things we even know we're wrong about. Look at the scientific method. We build models for the solar system. These models are highly functional, but ultimately based on an incomplete understanding. We do not have solved the n-body equation, but that has not prevented us from using incomplete models we know are wrong. I can safely say that the models we'll use in 50 years will be closer to the truth than the models we use today. I can even say that with those improvements, these newer models will still be false, but error will be reduced.

Arbitrary thinking is to take all error in our models and equate that to supernatural factors.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You are supposing your major premise.

This is easy enough. Name something that you believe is unexplained, and demonstrate how it can never be explained. From there, defend why the current state of explanation provides any reason to arbitrarily insert supernatural explanations. Explain how any person could pick which supernatural explanation to insert, because the options are literally infinite.

When you break this down, the only arbitrary thinking is the thinking that involves supernatural explanations for things. It's more honest to call a thing for what it is. That is to say something is "unexplained" not "unexplainable."

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 06:55 am
@spendius,
Look at you with your feathers all ruffled. You get so fussy when nobody lets you dictate terms.

We are no less concerned with Tiamet's farts, than Jesus' farts. Why should we?

You're proving my point: You feel entitled in other's disbelief.

A
R
T
0 Replies