Leaving a sign for your loved ones...

Seizan

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2023 02:49 pm
Based on the experience related by another a2k member:

If when you passed away you found that you were able to leave a sign for your loved ones to assure them all was well (or not), what would such a sign be?

There is a whole laundry list of the usual that could be explained by natural or mechanical means: turning the lights on/off, playing with the TV channel, making the phone ring, open/shut a door, make the rocking chair move, push a toy, opening a book, etc.

It would have to be something different from all that, something special that would be unmistakably you, quashing all doubts that you were there.

What would that sign be, and what reaction do you think it would evoke?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 10
No top replies

lmur

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2023 04:03 pm
@Seizan,
I believe the reaction to my sign would be exclamations of disgust, pinching of nostrils and a stampede out of the room to get some fresh air.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2023 10:37 am
Leaving them a winning lottery ticket.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2023 07:37 am
A to-do list.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2023 04:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Copied from another writer : I told you I didn't feel well!!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2023 08:29 pm
@Seizan,
I would have them meet a reincarnation of myself.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2023 03:07 am
I think I would do something to attract attention from the cats, something that only I could do, sitting on my chair at the desk where they always find me, and doing this at the same time every day as I used to when I got home and checked my mail...

Imagine the looks on my folks' faces to see the cats (all 17 of them) suddenly become alert and wide-eyed, staring at my desk chair at 4.30pm every day for a few minutes, then relaxing. Or purring as if they are being petted (by an unseen me). Maybe carry this on for a week or so after I'm "gone". Then go wherever...

I wouldn't just say "I love you all" because they already know that for sure.

I would leave a message somehow regarding where the hidden money or casket of gold is, only there ain't one.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2023 08:02 am
@Seizan,
I don't know. I've read experts say a dog will wait till it's starving before they'll start eating a dead 'master'.

A cat will be eating their 'master' in a matter of a couple of hours.

When I leave, my fuzzy little friends are on their own.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2023 09:26 am
@Seizan,
You have 17 cats? You're like Hemingway!
Seizan

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2023 01:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Oh, I don't mean to leave my body in the chair, that would be gross (and possibly illegal). I meant that if I surpringly found myself to be a concious disembodied something-or-other, and could stick around to leave a message of some sort, I might decide to just sit in my desk chair at my usual time each day and catch the cats' attention.

Also, our cats are well-fed and well taken care of. I doubt I taste as good as their food does.

Of course, situations change and I might decide to do something else, more or less subtle.

When the time comes, I'll let you know...

;-)
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2023 02:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
They are almost all rescue cats. We were once up to 35 cats, now down to 17. Most are in their teens, 3 are 20 or older, and a few are younger than 10 (one is maybe a year old now).

My wife and I always say "OK, this is the last one...!" until the next one comes along, helpless and hopeless.

They all live long, healthy lives (as much as we and the best vet on island can give them).

One of the 3 outdoor cats isn't really ours; he belongs across the street but drops in for breakfast, supper, and singing every day.

I have several cat essays posted on these forums.
0 Replies