What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:54 pm
@Tapout89,
Quote:
What alternative would you be referring to?

There is only one.
Tapout89

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:59 pm
@spendius,
That doesn't really answer the question that I asked. If you do not want to answer then that fine.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:02 pm
@Tapout89,
Quote:

I do not believe in the supernatural. I do however think that we don't yet fully understand the natural.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:05 pm
@Tapout89,
Sheesh!! The only alternative to believing in the supernatural is not believing in the supernatural. And not many dare think that through so they practice the escapism of ridiculing those who do believe in it.
vikorr

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:35 pm
@Tapout89,
Well, I don't know about ghosts, but a lot of the supernatural has proven over the last 1000 years to just be natural, with a scientific explanation.

I don't see that stopping.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if science eventually found provable evidence of the existance of 'spirit' (though maybe not in intelligent form, like ghosts).
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:38 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

I do not believe in the supernatural. I do however think that we don't yet fully understand the natural.

Yes, that's roughly what I tried to say. But you said it so much more succinctly, Cyracuz.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
we already understand a lot about "genetic memory". I like cyracuz/ succinct statement. Im gonna steal it for something.
Tapout89

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:16 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Sheesh!! The only alternative to believing in the supernatural is not believing in the supernatural. And not many dare think that through so they practice the escapism of ridiculing those who do believe in it.
This is incorrect, the alternative that you have pointed out is not an alternative at all, it's an absence. I believe what you mean is simply the belief in the natural rather than supernatural is the alternative...but is it really?
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think you said it well.

I heard someone say once that we humans bridge the gaps in our intellectual understanding with "emotional understanding". That is to say that where our intellect comes up short our emotions take over to form a picture we can perceive as complete. It certainly does seem that this may be the case, though I will not claim it as fact.
To endure the suspense of not knowing is perhaps something most humans are ill equipped to do.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I like cyracuz/ succinct statement. Im gonna steal it for something.

I would advise against that fm. It's mere coffee-morning chit-chat which, as one might expect, sounds good but means **** all.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 05:03 pm
@Tapout89,
You have a well chosen username Tapout.

Explain why lingerie is natural. I'm dying to know once and for all.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 05:36 pm
@spendius,
It means what it says. If you cannot get any meaning from it that reflects more on you than the statement itself. But I think I know where this comes from. Last time I heard such a sentiment expressed it came from someone who was just bummed out that he hadn't said it himself. Wink
0 Replies

Tapout89

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 05:38 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You have a well chosen username Tapout.

I guess you missed my point. What's the difference between the natural and supernatural?
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 05:55 pm
@Tapout89,
You have to understad Spendi is all excited about ladies foundation garments. Hes somewhat of a stylish transvestite
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 06:05 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Could it be because it looks natural on you? Wink
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 06:18 pm
@Tapout89,
Tapout89 wrote:
Believing in the supernatural doesn't require any justification.

Any time you choose to believe in something which by its very definition cannot be defined empirically, then you are engaging in a subjective choice which doesn't require justification.

However, if you wanted to justify your choice, all you would have to say is, "because that's what I choose".
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:22 pm
I don’t believe in the supernatural. I also don’t believe in any invisible man in the sky.

One thing I do belive in and learned today is if you have a vodka martina don’t even think of chasing it down with a jell-o shot. Blah!
parados

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 08:38 pm
@jcboy,
So you have given up on your beliefs in the unnatural then?

Martini followed by jello shot is so very unnatural.
0 Replies

krc950

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:36 am
@Tapout89,
Why would anyone feel the need to justify a spiritual belief? Can you justify the purpose of that for me?
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 03:30 am
@krc950,
Quote:
Why would anyone feel the need to justify a spiritual belief?

Social acceptance. A belief becomes more powerful when shared by others, and if it's shared by everyone it becomes "truth". It's what religious missionaries and those who go from door to door are trying to accomplish. Under the guise of wanting to save your soul they set out to validate their beliefs through social acceptance. They are not doing humanity a service.