What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 02:52 am
@Tapout89,
Just my own observation.

I find it interesting, ironic your last comment on Spade's thread about sifting through the posts and finding alot of bickering, however, some good points made by him but no reply to your question.

Same old, same old here don't you think?

0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 03:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
I like the question; "Could it be that we are wrong about most things we believe, and about most things we think we know?"

Most likely the answer is yes. But that should not deter us. Failing is the best way to learn how to succeed.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 03:31 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
I like the question; "Could it be that we are wrong about most things we believe, and about most things we think we know?"

Most likely the answer is yes. But that should not deter us. Failing is the best way to learn how to succeed.

Good point!

If the year 3000 is as different from the year 2000 as the year 2000 is from the year 1000...we humans most likely will "know" that many of the things we now "know" are simply wrong...and even simplistically wrong.

Trying and failing (or occasionally succeeding) really is the scientific method.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 04:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have often asked the question of how we can even justify the question of gods.

Good point...made by several people.

Asking the question is proof that only senseless wittering is going on here. (Apart from myself of course.)

Gods are justified on the basis of the regulation of behaviour. Particularly sexual behaviour.

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem asking the question: "Could what we consider the universe actually just be a particle in an experiment being conducted by beings in a much larger portion of the megaverse?"

That is wittering. It's meaningless.

Professor George I. Mavrodes of the University of Michigan wrote-

Quote:
Atheism is ostensibly the doctrine (note the word doctrine) that there is no God. Some atheists support this claim by arguments. But these arguments are usually directed against the Christian concept of God, and are largely irrelevant to other possible gods. Thus much Western atheism may be better understood as the doctrine (there's that word again) that the Christian God does not exist.

Agnosticism may be strictly personal and confessional--"I have no firm belief about God"--or it may be the more ambitious claim that no one ought (ought is morality preaching, hence religious) to have a positive belief for or against the divine existence. Perhaps only the ambitious version invites an argument. A promising version might combine something like William Clifford's dictum that no one ought to hold a belief on insufficient evidence with the claim that the existence of God is evidentially indeterminable. Both of these claims, of course, have been strongly contested.

Quote:
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church—the official exposition of the Catholic Church's Christian beliefs—the Commandments are considered essential for spiritual good health and growth, and serve as the basis for social justice.

What Christians want to know is how these aims are to be met by the legislative process and particularly regarding sexual behaviour. The atheist and the agnostic need to answer the question I'm afraid and if they put it on Ignore, or thumb it down, they are wittering.

Even with 90% of Americans having religious beliefs these aims are not being met too well so what would happen if those beliefs were entirely in abeyance.

The atheist and agnostic panel's obvious fear of the sexual question, when it is the nuts and bolts of the whole edifice, highlights the utter pointlessness of everything they say.

Sexual hang-ups and timid, ladylike delicacies are hardly the basis for a rational discussion and quickly lead to such things as --"Could what we consider the universe actually just be a particle in an experiment being conducted by beings in a much larger portion of the megaverse?" and other similar metaphysical nonsense.

I have a theory that if the gorgeous only daughter of a devout Christian multi-millionaire had the hots for an atheist or an agnostic he would be on his knees at the altar rails with head bowed and praying like billyho as fast as he could get there.

The whole genesis of anti-Christian ideas is the rejection of the sexual prohibitions of Christian teaching. The justifications for the rejection, wierd and wonderful as they tend to be, soon displace the original source, most obviously with homosexuals, and take on a life of their own and become a matter in which pride is obsessively involved due to the number of witnesses who cannot be wished away.

The Christian God is justified on the basis of the non-legislative regulation of sexual behaviour. Thus the atheist and the agnostic get the regulation of sexual behaviour generally without feeling it applies to them personally. Nice eh?

Carry on wittering. Don't mind me. As Setanta said--it's hilarious.

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 05:14 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Don't mind me.

I rarely do, as most of what you post seems nonsensical, so laced with irony and sarcasm that it's hard to distinguish jest from honest opinion, if you ever gave one...
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 05:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
I saw a video on youtube, where the speaker talked about this. The title was You Have No Idea How Wrong You Are. The speaker communicates an interesting perspective.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 07:09 am
@Cyracuz,
There is plenty of honest opinion in my posts Cyr. It's just that you find it hard to take and prefer to indulge in that sort of infantile crap as a form of escapism.

Quote:
Gods are justified on the basis of the regulation of behaviour. Particularly sexual behaviour.

That's honest opinion which you have avoided confronting. It is not really an opinion. It's a fact which you are avoiding confronting for personal reasons.

I feel sure that Prof. Mavrodes' statement is honest opinion which you have also avoided confronting.

Quote:
The atheist and the agnostic need to answer the question I'm afraid and if they put it on Ignore, or thumb it down, they are wittering.

You have put that on Ignore as well and wittered.

Quote:
—the Commandments are considered essential for spiritual good health and growth, and serve as the basis for social justice.

That is honest opinion which I share and which you again avoid by childish claptrap.

Quote:
What Christians want to know is how these aims are to be met by the legislative process and particularly regarding sexual behaviour.

That is a honest question based on that opinion which, again, you have not thought fit to respond to.

Quote:
Even with 90% of Americans having religious beliefs these aims are not being met too well so what would happen if those beliefs were entirely in abeyance.

Your simplistic drivel fails to deal with that.What are you doing in a debate when you just blurt?

Quote:
The atheist and agnostic panel's obvious fear of the sexual question, when it is the nuts and bolts of the whole edifice, highlights the utter pointlessness of everything they say.

That's honest opinion. Prof. Greer agrees with it. And she's sold more books than you have. She is Professor Emerita of English Literature and Comparative Studies at the University of Warwick.

Quote:
Sexual hang-ups and timid, ladylike delicacies are hardly the basis for a rational discussion and quickly lead to such things as --"Could what we consider the universe actually just be a particle in an experiment being conducted by beings in a much larger portion of the megaverse?" and other similar metaphysical nonsense.

That's a honest opinion about which you have nothing to say.

Quote:
I have a theory that if the gorgeous only daughter of a devout Christian multi-millionaire had the hots for an atheist or an agnostic he would be on his knees at the altar rails with head bowed and praying like billyho as fast as he could get there.

Being a self-confessed draft dodger I suppose your principles would exclude you but I think my honest opinion on the matter is generally valid. I have seen it happen. I've seen an openly avowed atheist swear by Almighty God in order to get into the House of Lords. I would convert to almost any religion the old boy demanded in order to have him give her away to me.

Quote:
The whole genesis of anti-Christian ideas is the rejection of the sexual prohibitions of Christian teaching. The justifications for the rejection, wierd and wonderful as they tend to be, soon displace the original source, most obviously with homosexuals, and take on a life of their own and become a matter in which pride is obsessively involved due to the number of witnesses who cannot be wished away.

That's another honest opinion which you have so tritely side-stepped. As well you might I should think.

Quote:
The Christian God is justified on the basis of the non-legislative regulation of sexual behaviour. Thus the atheist and the agnostic get the regulation of sexual behaviour generally without feeling it applies to them personally. Nice eh?

There's nothing but bald confessional honesty about that. It happened to me and a few others I have known. A few dozen actually. Maybe more. It is nice. I must admit. But I was young and selfish in those days. I scoffed better than most at "Thou shalt not commit adultery". Usually citing evolution theory. And as for "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife--that's ridiculous. It flouts every scientific law in biological evolution. The whole lot from start to now.

Quote:
As Setanta said--it's hilarious

That's a honest opinion and citing an expert like Setanta for validation.

Quote:
I rarely do, as most of what you post seems nonsensical, so laced with irony and sarcasm that it's hard to distinguish jest from honest opinion, if you ever gave one...

So--what's that foam from the mouth all about then Cyr? And what is up with sarcasm, irony and jest? Since when did such things signify dishonest opinions. They are the stock-in-trade of polished honest opinions and much called for on this thread where all three of them are conspicuous by their absence. Apart from me of course.

You should honour your father and mother Cyr and stop piss-balling about with literature aimed to flatter a market of atheists and agnostics and justify their position with half truths and be promoted by them in return.

I think your post is objectively and grossly dishonest and no way to set an example to others how debate should proceed.

It's wasted words and we know what Bob Dylan said about them.

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 07:25 am
@spendius,
Quote:
That's honest opinion which you have avoided confronting. It is not really an opinion. It's a fact which you are avoiding confronting for personal reasons.

It's nonsense. Just because the idea of gods serve that function in a social context, that is a matter of shared beliefs, not validation of the belief that gods are real and have anything to do with the creation of the world.

Quote:
—the Commandments are considered essential for spiritual good health and growth, and serve as the basis for social justice.

The commandments are inherited from older cultures than those Christianity happen in. They have nothing to do with gods and everything to do with humans. They are human values first and foremost, not religious values.

Quote:

Much of what you say strikes me as deliberately obscured. I won't speculate as to why. But I feel no need to defend either atheists or agnostics. I am neither.

Quote:

What's the link between Frank's statement and "sexual hang-ups and timid, ladylike delicacies"? You speak obscure drivel, hoping that someone might mistake it for esoteric insights.

But... you tell us to never mind you, and when I do you get offended? Rolling Eyes
No matter. You are probably a big hit at your local pub, but here you need more than fancy words to make an impression.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:16 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I ain't never seen nothing like this nowhere before not ever.

I assume, or hope, that it is not typical of American discourse. Do you guys spend a lot of time in beauty parlours?

Well, ya see that there's a quintuple negative (if I haven't miscounted, now), so that makes it a genuine negative, and not a negated negative (that means a positive for some of us that are as sharp as a pencil without a lead, I say now, a pencil without a lead--ya know?--as bright as a burned out light bulb.)
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I was raised Catholic. Became an agnostic at about age 25 or so (I'll be 76 in August)...although I really did not use the word "agnostic" to describe myself until I began formally debating in letters to the editor...at around age 35.

The fact that you once believed in God affects your approach to theidea of agnosticism. Because you once believed in God, but now you question the belief, you decide to sit on the fence. A person who has no prior belief in God doesn't have that personal and cultural background upon which to doubt the belief in the first place. Sitting on the fence concerning God, or even a reality that involves a god, is tantamount to sitting on the fence concerning beliefs in unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters.

Your respective approaches to the subject of agnosticism are irreconcilable.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 09:51 am
@InfraBlue,
Very interesting position, InfraBlue. My argument with Frank was similar (in a way). I said, if I recall, that his formal ambivalence ("sitting on the fence") implied that there was a more or less 50% chance that a God existed. Despite the fact that I could not prove (the negative of) the non-existence of God I could not accept the absurdity of his existence as described by theists.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:21 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Sitting on the fence concerning God, or even a reality that involves a god, is tantamount to sitting on the fence concerning beliefs in unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters.

I am not "sitting on the fence." I do not know if gods exist; I do not know if gods do not exist.

If that bothers you...or if it is necessary for you to think less of me because of that, I will have to endure it.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:51 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
It's nonsense. Just because the idea of gods serve that function in a social context, that is a matter of shared beliefs, not validation of the belief that gods are real and have anything to do with the creation of the world.

How can it be nonsense when only the social context is significant and gives you the very words you are using, the concepts they represent in your mind, the attitude they reflect, and the medium of communication you use to convey them to others. There is no other world outside the social context. The world only exists when it is articulated. "In the beginning was the word." Without the word there are no gods, functions, social contexts, shared beliefs, any beliefs, validations, reality, creations or worlds.

Quote:
The commandments are inherited from older cultures than those Christianity happen in.

So are a lot of other things but not the infinitesimal calculus on which your every waking moment is posited upon. Religious values are human values. They unify and thus have potential to grow which an aggregate of loose cannons does not.

Quote:
What's the link between Frank's statement and "sexual hang-ups and timid, ladylike delicacies"?

That the failure to address himself to the real problem leads him into ridiculous verbal constructions of the type referred to in order to try to justify his position and presumably in the hope that someone might mistake the nonsense for esoteric insights or intellectual validities. That he has no understanding of the function of religious belief and is thus constrained to attack it using megaverses in particles in the infinity of dynamic space.

I was not offended in the least. I answered your ignorant post and you have failed to answer mine. And I don't use fancy words like most are doing on here. You can get your head around the words I use if you want to. Nobody can get their head around "a particle in an experiment being conducted by beings in a much larger portion of the megaverse?"

We don't talk about such things in the pub. Sport, the old days and the beer are the main topics of conversation and I'm just one of the gang. We don't even talk about women because married men are present and it would be improper.

Make the case for promiscuous sexual behaviour because that is what you are really about.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:59 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Well, ya see that there's a quintuple negative (if I haven't miscounted, now), so that makes it a genuine negative, and not a negated negative (that means a positive for some of us that are as sharp as a pencil without a lead, I say now, a pencil without a lead--ya know?--as bright as a burned out light bulb.)

Neat IB. It is exactly what I had in mind.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
To acknowledge what you do not know – is a display of strength. To pretend you know what you truly don’t – is a display of weakness.

Actually to acknowledge what you dont know is LAZINESS, to pretend what you "truly" (sic) dont know is LYING, To assert what you know via evidence IS PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE.
failures art

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Only if words have meanings, farmer.

A
R
T
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:01 pm
@spendius,
I forgot to add that that should be read with a Foghorn Leghorn inflection for the effect I was trying for.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah, but you don't put as much weight on your ambivalence about the existence of unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters, which you rather offhandedly dismiss, as you do your ambivalence about the existence of gods.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Yeah, but you don't put as much weight on your ambivalence about the existence of unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters, which you rather offhandedly dismiss, as you do your ambivalence about the existence of gods.

What is it with the fixation atheists have with unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters?

I do not know if gods exist...I do not know if gods do not exist.

I am interested in possible explanations for existence. Gods are one possible explanation for existence. "Existence has always been" is another. "There are absolutely no gods involved in existence" is yet another.

Unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters are not among the considerations I entertain for possible explanations of existence. I may be remiss in doing that since apparently so many atheists seem to think they do enter into the issue, but I am not going to involve myself with them.

As for gods...I do not know if they exist...and I also do not know if they do not exist.

I hope you get somebody else interested in discussing flying spaghetti monsters and unicorns with you, InfraBlue. They obviously are very important to you.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
Have you a Chicken Consciousness IB? It's a Californian religion derived from the Sumerian Chicken God. I have the Bible of it. Cluck! byJon-Stephen Fink with additional material by Mieke van der Linden. Virgin Books 1981.

It's a movie industry religion. Chicken Conscious devotees are supposed to stand up, flap their elbows vigorously and shout "cluck! cluck!" squawkily like whenever they spot a chicken in a movie.

If I remember correctly Marty had a few plucked ones hanging in the shop window but the piece de resistance was Kristofferson crashing the truck into a chicken factory unit in Convoy. That was transcendental. The Chicken you see is cowardly, unfit for purpose and completely ******* stupid so that explains why movie people would adopt it as a Divinity.

If you want a sign it is that as I was reading your Leghorn post I was called into the TV room to see a chicken on the pitch in the relegation battle between Blackburn Rovers and Wigan Athletic and which was chased and caught by two of the players who shooed it into the back of the net and grabbed it. It was a beauty. A cock with multicoloured plumage and wearing a jacket decorated with symbols which I am under oath not to divulge the secret meaning of.

A miraculous coincidence I think you have to agree.

Obviously devourers of turkey and other profane birds are considered atheists in that religion.Agnostics can eat chicken as long as it is disguised.

"Hungry rooster don't cackle when he finds a wum."