Guess what guys! Im gonna be a big sister! :)

JTT

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 10:46 am
@GracieGirl,
There's been a lot of "your dad's got a right to his life too" talk from the gang here, Gracie, and there is some merit to that. However, and I'm not there so I can't say for sure, but Dad may have jumped into this thing in the very manner that teenagers/young adults are often accused of doing.

What man/woman of their age gets pregnant? What woman of Katie's age takes those kinds of risks? Well sometimes, adults just don't always act like adults. But they always present to their kids that they are doing so. It's part of the "don't worry, we are in control" mannerism that they want to make their kids think they have.

You have got a lot of REALLY REALLY valuable and sensible information from a lot of people here who, it's readily apparent, care a great deal about you. Some of it hasn't been all that great, but we're human, just as you and your Dad and Katie are.

Throughout this all, keep that level Gracie head that you are so damn famous for. You're going to have times of great anger and resentment but at those times, give it a day or two to see if those volcano feelings subside.

Seeing this big event to a final resolution may well be the greatest learning experience of your life, GG. If you think you have a plan, approach it, not like an adult, but as a reasoning human being.

I'm hoping, deeply, that you come out of this finding a satisfactory middle ground for everyone, Sweetie. We rarely get what we really, personally want in life but knowing, after it's over and done with, that you did your level best to reach a balance for everyone will make you feel justifiably proud of yourself.

Fingers and toes crossed for ya 'til they're cramped!

Ganbatte kudasai! [Japanese for "Do your utmost best, please"]
chai2

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 12:16 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Gracie, do you realize how much pressure you are putting on them, how weary and guilty you are making these 2 people feel?

Chai, do you realize how much pressure's on me and how they're making me feel? How come no one in this family cares about what I think? This is my life too you know.

Quote:

This morning I reread the last few pages here and wondered "If Gracie were to take the 2 words "fault" and "fair" out of her posts, she wouldn't have anything else to say about this matter.

The thing is, you are saying the words that you understand this and that as far as your dad and Katie are concerned, but you really, really don't at all.

That's because my dad being unfair and everything being Katies fault is the whole problem. And I do understand.

Quote:
I've noticed many times that you don't talk about how your brother and sister feel (beyond one or two superficial comments). They are going through the same thing you know.

I dont talk about my brother and sister because I figured since you dont know them you dont care. I know it sucks for all of us and we're all going through the same thing but it seems like they're not as upset about it as I am. We all feel really different. Matt's barely home and he acts like he doesnt care about anything. He's dealing with his own stuff and all he really cares about is his friends and his girlfriend. Matt and my dad aren't even getting along so he doesnt care what my dad does either. When Matt gets his car he can come visit his girlfriend whenever he wants so I guess he doesnt mind moving either. My sister really really likes Katie and she's glad they're together and the baby's coming and everything. She's upset about moving and stuff too but she's not as mad at dad and Katie as I am.

Quote:
Maybe Katie doesn't want to be a mother figure to you, and you're just seeing it that way, because it's what you want to see.
Maybe Katie's the one feeling like she has to walk around on egg shells so she doesn't upset you, because that means she has to listen again to how you don't want this that and the other.

I didnt say she wanted to be a mother figure to me. I just said that I dont want her to. She's not my mother she's my dad's girlfriend and my little sister/brother's mom. She's nothing to me.

Maybe she does and who cares? Katie's the one making everything suck for everyone else. I havent done anything to her. It's not like I moved into her house and screwed up her life.

Quote:

You just came back from a month at your grandparents. Has it occured to you that maybe your dad and Katie enjoyed the break from you? While you were busy being bored and being annoyed with your grandparents, they were probably able to get lof of stuff done, and were able to relax a little.

Nope, it hasnt. Cause I dont care.

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/11/2727/large-double_facepalm_magnet.jpg

When one facepalm just isn't enough.

Yes, your last sentence just about says it all.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 12:29 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

For that matter, how do we know that dad wasn't being stupid or f*cked up when he got a woman pregnant with Gracie?

Or the other kids? Maybe him having any children at all was the problem in the first place.

Why would you even say that chai? I get that you're annoyed with me and that you think I'm a brat but I'd never say anything that mean to you. You really suck sometimes.

Quote:
Children using bargaining chips with a parent in this way is what is messed up, not welcoming a family addition and being an adult and preparing for it. Gracie has shown, and knows on some level, she is being selfish. Bargain so that you can continue the selfish behavior?
Maybe if we were robots without emotions, but we talking about humans.

Sure, maybe Im being selfish but so is dad. You just think its okay for him to be selfish and not me because he's the 'adult' and what he says goes.
And I totally welcomed Katie but I didnt think that meant that I was gonna have to lose all my friends and change schools and move out of the house I've lived in for practically my whole life.

Quote:
Gracie, don't bargain with your father or Katie over a matter this important, that will lead to no good.

Bottom line is, you're going to out of the house in a very few years, so suck it up, or accept, and enjoy your newer family.

You say 'a few years' like you're talking about weeks or days. Rolling Eyes

Thomas wrote:

engineer wrote:
Is she really? A shitty situation might be losing your home because your parents got laid off or finding out you have cancer or having to work 40hrs a week to help with the family finances and failing your classes because you can't study. Is getting another committed adult in your home who loves your father a shitty situation? Is moving to a nice new home a shitty situation?

That's for Gracie to judge, not us. If the situation is making her feel shitty and out of control, then yes, she's in a shitty situation.

Exactly! Thanks Thomas. Smile

Quote:
If she is asking my advice, I would say from the outside it really doesn't look that bad. My advice is to step back and try to see the situation from a non-Gracie perspective.

Well, from the inside it sucks and I dont know how to do that.

Quote:
I certainly don't advise a coordinated, premeditated effort to extract concessions from the newly forming family, concessions that will almost certainly cost her father far more than the benefit she derives.

I have no idea what that means.

engineer wrote:

Why approach your relationship with your parent as adversarial when it has never been that way before? You might want to do that with your boss but I can't see doing that with a father who you love and respect. This is his time of need, not Gracie's time to demand privilege.

What privilege? And how is it his time of need? It's his fault! I havent done anything wrong. He's the one that wants to change everything and he's the one who's not being fair. All I want is for him to start listening to me and stop bossing me around and ruining my life all the time.

ossobuco wrote:

In the summer I was about to turn fourteen, I moved with my parents from a place I was very happy in Illinois, with many close friends, to live for the next three years along with them at my aunt's small house in California, when I had no friends with the exception of two cousins I didn't see much of, and a father often without a job. Oh, and found myself going to a new high school two long bus rides away, where as I said I knew no one.

I know about being wrenched away, but I understood the whys of it. Not that I'm all so perfect but that it was clear that was what was happening. I did a lot of reading that first summer.

Really??That sucks. Well, how'd you handle it? You weren't mad at all?

Quote:
I do agree with Firefly - I think it was she who said - be active in helping the move and family blending work. Enjoy house hunting. Years of parental house hunting when they never could afford to buy was how I got interested in architecture.

I guess I could do that. I know we have to move and I get why but Im still mad about it. House hunting doesn't sound all that fun to me. And except for sometimes fighting with Katie, I am trying to help the family blending thing work. Me and Alaina and Josh and all of us get along great. They already feel like my little brother and sister. And Im not bratty with Katie all the time. I dont hate her or anything and Im not trying to hurt her. We talked for a little while yesterday when she asked me to help her with dinner and I told her I was sorry. I dont mean to be bratty with her I just get mad sometimes and its easier to just take it out on her I guess. Everythings really different and Im just not used to it yet.

Quote:

Gracie, as others have said, you may be surprised what you'll like, and yes, not like, in the changes.

I know.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:06 pm
Gracie, 2/3 thru my junior year in high school, my dad got a promotion to the home office in NJ and we moved. One of the best things that ever happened. I'd lived in the same part of town for 16 years, and all my relatives were there, but NJ was far cooler and far less locally-centric than MI, the horizons were far wider, the school was half the size but better, the kids were less cliquey, friendlier to evderybody, far cooler, much less cars, jocks, and football. MI wasn't bad, NJ was better (no, it's not all "New Jersey Housewives", that's just one part of the state, a weird one, to be sure, but just part). I still think of that high school as my high school, though I was only there for a little over a year. Same thing may very well happen to
you. It'll certainly happen when and if you go away to college. Think of this as preparing you for that. There are good people wherever you go.

And you've talked on one of your threads here about how your dad is great, but there are some woman things you can't comfortably talk about with him. Well, guess what, Katie is a woman. Now you've got someone to talk to that knows all about that stuff and has been thru it. ASK her. TALK to her. You''ll learn something, and she'll learn about you, and she'll probably be thrilled to talk to you. The more you talk, the more comfortable you'll feel with her and she with you. If you like her kids, then it means she's a good mom, because she raised them well. She's not your mom, she knows it, but I'll bet that she's more than willing to like you a lot too, if you'll let her.

Life is change, the only time things don't change is when you're dead. The alternative is better.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Now granted Gracie's situation is more complicated. But Gracie, I hope your dad has sat down and talked with you on this. Explained his reasons - has he? If not, I'd ask him if you two could sit down and talk. Have you told him your concerns? In a mature way? It may not change anything, and you may still not like it, but hopefully you are mature enough to at least understand and respect where he is coming from. And I'd hope he would understand and respect your concerns.

He's talked at me. I dont think he was really listening to me though because we were both mad. I got really upset yesterday though and I talked to Katie for a little while. We werent mad or anything. Just talking. I havent gotten a chance to do that with my dad yet but he said we're gonna talk today though. Just me and him and my sister and brother. No Katie. And there's not gonna be any yelling or walking away, we're all just gonna listen to each other. I think I already know what he's gonna say and that whatever I say wont change anything but It might make me feel better. I'm tired of being mad and fighting all the time.

Linkat wrote:
Have you discussed how you can stay in touch with your friends? Future visits arranaged and such? Both my daughters (13 and 9) are worried about not seeing their "old" friends. It is helpful if you can at least find ways to stay in touch and meet up. Just a few hours away - could you visit on school vacations/long weekends and sleep over a friend's house. We do this now with my 13 year old where her best friend moved a couple of hours away.

Yeah, with Katie. She gets it. My dads bestfriends with my bestfriend Natalie's dad. My dad has alot of friends here actually so I think we might visit alot (hopefully). But if not, Natalie has a car and she can come and stay with us for a few days and hang out. My dad and Katie are totally fine with that. Smile So thats awesome. I'm not sure how Im going to be able to see some of my other friends though...

Linkat wrote:
Just remember - as much as it may appear he is happy about this - he is under alot of stress with it and is most likely hiding this stress from you kids to make things easier for you all.

Maybe. Thanks Linkat

chai2 wrote:

I'd like to hear from Gracie if her dad has had a sit down with her/the family to talk about all this.

From what she has said in the past about her father, I honestly believe he has done so, and not acted in a complete vacuum.

He hasnt really. He did once I guess, when we got home from visiting our grandparents, but it just turned into a big argument. And he wasnt trying to hear us out at all.

chai2 wrote:
Gracie, if I sounded angry before, I wasn't. It's just that this is not going to go away, this isn't some horrible terrible thing.

Well, it is to me chai and you're just not getting it.

chai2 wrote:
In your title it says "I'm going to be a big sister"

Turn the words around a few different ways.....The baby is going to be everyone's little sister/baby. Your dad is going to be a new father, Katie is going to be a new mother.

When you go off on your own in a very few years, aren't you going to be the new person then too? What's the difference if it happens twice, or now?

Is it because in a few years it's going to be what You want?

Thats not the same. Rolling Eyes

FOUND SOUL wrote:

Gracie,

I just want to add one thing sweet.

Can you do me a favour ? Be nice to Katie for the time being, I mean she's how many months pregnant now? It's an extremely stressful time for her at the moment. Complications can take place as well.

Sometimes, in life we also have to take ourselves out of the aquation when something more pressing is in place, think of other people for instance, instead of ourselves.. It's only a few weeks and who knows, you may get to know her just a little more, share that time with her you know? Leading up to her having your sister/brother, this should also be an exciting time for all...

I know Soulie. I apologized to Katie and I meant it. We're not like best friends or anything now and I guess I still feel alittle mad at her but we're okay. Im not gonna fight with her anymore.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:54 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quoting -
In the summer I was about to turn fourteen, I moved with my parents from a place I was very happy in Illinois, with many close friends, to live for the next three years along with them at my aunt's small house in California, when I had no friends with the exception of two cousins I didn't see much of, and a father often without a job. Oh, and found myself going to a new high school two long bus rides away, where as I said I knew no one.

I know about being wrenched away, but I understood the whys of it. Not that I'm all so perfect but that it was clear that was what was happening. I did a lot of reading that first summer.

Really??That sucks. Well, how'd you handle it? You weren't mad at all?

Quote:
I do agree with Firefly - I think it was she who said - be active in helping the move and family blending work. Enjoy house hunting. Years of parental house hunting when they never could afford to buy was how I got interested in architecture.

I guess I could do that. I know we have to move and I get why but Im still mad about it. House hunting doesn't sound all that fun to me. And except for sometimes fighting with Katie, I am trying to help the family blending thing work. Me and Alaina and Josh and all of us get along great. They already feel like my little brother and sister. And Im not bratty with Katie all the time. I dont hate her or anything and Im not trying to hurt her. We talked for a little while yesterday when she asked me to help her with dinner and I told her I was sorry. I dont mean to be bratty with her I just get mad sometimes and its easier to just take it out on her I guess. Everythings really different and Im just not used to it yet.
Quote:

Gracie, as others have said, you may be surprised what you'll like, and yes, not like, in the changes.

I know.
end/quoting

I went from a place where, as me, I'd never been so happy - I was an only child and we moved a lot in earlier years. We'd last moved from NYCity where I had one actual friend (we wrote letters, she later visited me in California and I felt we didn't know each other anymore, she wore tons of makeup, gah). When we landed in Chicago after New York (Evanston, specifically), I right away had neighborhood girlfriends, something that was completely new to me. These are the ones I'm still semi in touch with. Their friendship meant more to me, I see in retrospect, as most of those were in big families. Hah, catholics. That set of years was filled with all sorts of pleasures, liking school, playing with the neighbor girls, all sorts of stuff I'd not known about re games and sports and food and, best, friends playing. There was bad stuff too, as my parents struggled re my father's work, and that is a large subject I won't go into now.

I knew we were in trouble, house silence the mode, and did remember California from when I was there before. I was born in Los Angeles, we moved to Dayton, Ohio during the war, back to Los Angeles, to New York, and so on.

The high school I went to in LA was small and very strict. (I've written about it on a2k before). There were cliques, as there are everywhere, but that was when I first really noticed. We wore uniforms, but you could tell who was in because they wore the right socks (I'm not kidding).

I was smart (well, smart enough) but very shy. The other people appeared to know each other, but not as a whole group as they too were from different schools.
I was good in sports back in Chicago and playing golf with my father and uncle but completely nonplussed by gym class where volleyballs were flying around. I'd never heard of volleyball and gym class didn't improve my understanding.
I did make one long time friend that year, a girl like me, not 'outcast' but not in.

I pretty much stayed that way but outcasts and in groups changed - some of the outcasts were pretty interesting and some of the ins were fools, so things evened out as time passed.

In the summers, I spent my days going with my mother and aunt to the grocery store and laundramat and the Slenderalla Salon, which featured leatherette beds that jiggled one's fat. Rest of the time I read every book in my aunt's house, Dickens and westerns left from my uncle who had died in '44. Plus library books, 7 or so every two weeks. Plus the local newspaper, then with an interest in sports, which I'd picked up in Chicago.

Once every few weeks I'd get to see my friend Kathleen. She was particularly into making dolls for Seventeen magazine, a matter that didn't interest me, though I like sewing and had dolls in my past. But I went with her family to Disneyland, just recently opened, and to San Francisco, which, in a way, reopened my world.

In the beginning of my junior year, coincident with my sixteenth birthday, I got a job at our local very good hospital and that changed my life. I was already interested in medicine (read medical history books among all those books I mentioned earlier). But at the hospital I found a whole new world. I worked there something like six years, taking mini xrays, being a cashier, admitting clerk, handling reservations for beds. I stopped being shy, learned a lot about real people.

Meantime, we bought a house, and I got involved in the remodelling. I liked it, had strong opinions. My choice of paint for my room was poor. More learning.
Later, much later, I learned that scholarly boyfriends tended not to know how to fix a window (etc.)

Long answer from me, but I'm hoping you ride with all this.

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:59 pm
@GracieGirl,
Sounds like good progress is being made, Gracie. Hope the talk today goes well.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:12 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
I havent gotten a chance to do that with my dad yet but he said we're gonna talk today though. Just me and him and my sister and brother. No Katie. And there's not gonna be any yelling or walking away, we're all just gonna listen to each other.

That part sounds like real progress. I suggest that you try not to get mad, and to keep your criticism constructive and free of fault-finding. I have often found it helpful to frame criticism in terms of questions: "But how do we make sure that ___?" This way, you put pressure on him to address your concerns, but also give him a fair way out by actually addressing them.

Even if your change of approach makes no immediate difference, don't despair, and don't get unpleasant. There appears to be a vicious circle between you and your father. He makes decisions without your input, causing you to get mad because whatever you're saying makes no difference, causing him to get mad because he feels your only input is to flip on him, causing him to make lonesome decisions without your input, and so on and on and on. If this dynamic is real, it needs to stop. Your part in stopping it is to reason with him, to stand your ground calmly, but not to flip, and not to give him an excuse to ignore you. Good luck for the talk!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:23 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

chai2 wrote:

For that matter, how do we know that dad wasn't being stupid or f*cked up when he got a woman pregnant with Gracie?

Or the other kids? Maybe him having any children at all was the problem in the first place.

Why would you even say that chai? I get that you're annoyed with me and that you think I'm a brat but I'd never say anything that mean to you. You really suck sometimes.

First off, I'm not annoyed.

2nd, if you weren't so wrapped up in the "me" of all this, you'd have seen I was saying this to Thomas, not you.

I don't believe for a moment your father having you or your brother or sister was a mistake.....The exact same way I don't believe your father having another baby is a mistake.

I was responding to how Thomas made the statement that your dad and Katie literally fucked up. I haven't looked that closely, but have you called him on that? My comment was directed at his saying that, to show how really terrible a thing that was.

I also see how you are latching onto Thomas's (misplaced) suggestions about bargaining with your father. You see that as a viable suggestion because it's one of the few ways you may be able to get your way.

However, your father, not being stupid, will see through that, and all it will do is piss him off. He'll have other emotions as well, but pissed would be one of them.

In less than a year, you're going to be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Has anyone thought about you in all this. Well, yes, because that's what you've been talking about.

Life just doesn't always go your way Gracie, it just doesn't. Being angry about it is a complete waste of time and energy.

You're pretty tied up in the fairness and whose fault it is....that in truth, is pretty annoying, because once that's said, it's like the door is closed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I messed up quoting on that one.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:00 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

This part sounds like she's just kind of waiting to find out their decision:

Gracie wrote:
My dad and Katie aren't sure where we're moving. He told us he was thinking about moving on the phone when we were in Canada. (Told not asked. He doesnt even care what we think ) He said he was looking but he wasnt sure yet. A few days ago I overheard him and Katie talking about moving to a city around the Bay Area so thats like 2-3 hours away.

But maybe he's talked with her since then, or plans to but hasn't yet.

We're moving definitely. We just cant stay here. Our house is big but not big enough for 8 people. I get that. It sucks but I get it. My dad wants to move to a bigger city. I dont know where we're moving yet but I dont think he does either.
JTT

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:14 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
I certainly don't advise a coordinated, premeditated effort to extract concessions from the newly forming family, concessions that will almost certainly cost her father far more than the benefit she derives.

Gracie stated: I have no idea what that means.

Let me try to explain, GG. [I'm not trying to provide my own advice here, I'm just trying to help you understand the meaning]

It means that this poster [Thomas ??] doesn't think that it's a good idea for you to been seen as having a plan that is aimed at grabbing/securing what's good for Gracie, while not considering the affects that will surely have on your father's standing with the new family/Katie.

Quote:

After you sort through the sometimes not so carefully chosen words, GG, I have to state that Chai is giving you some pretty damn good advice. Unvarnished, yes, but pretty damn good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:24 pm
@GracieGirl,
Aside from all this -

I like cities.
JTT

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Me too, Osso. I like it that cities are kept in the cities.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:16 am
@JTT,
Quote:
What man/woman of their age gets pregnant?

Come on, JTT--how ancient do you think these people are? Laughing

Maybe the pregnancy was an accident, and maybe it wasn't, but they clearly want this child and they want to be together.

Middle age, if they are even at that stage, isn't exactly over-the-hill, and it's not at all unusual for people to start second families. So why even assume this was the outcome of some sort of rash or "risky" behavior on their part? Even married couples have "not deliberately planned for" pregnancies that are still considered welcome additions to the family. From Gracie's description, her dad and Katie were in a committed relationship before the pregnancy happened, and sometimes, what may seem like an accident isn't really such an accident, it's something one, or both, people really wanted to happen.

Gracie's dad is apparently not a great believer in marriage, he was not married to Gracie's mom and they had three children together. But he's certainly been a responsible father, and, judging by Gracie, he's done a great job.

Putting the pregnancy out of the picture, living together is something this couple might have been moving toward anyway, and with their already existing 5 children between them, they'd need a larger home. The impending arrival of a new baby may just have speeded things up a bit.
Gracie wouldn't be happy with the altered family situation, and the prospect of re-location, no matter how it had come about. She wanted things to stay just the way they were. And no one is blaming her for wanting that. She was happy with her life just the way it was.

It's not just the "your dad's got a right to his life too" angle, which I agree has some merit, it's also that life never remains static, getting thrown a curve-ball of some sort is almost inevitable. And when our lives get disrupted like that, part of the anger we feel is due to frustration that we have no control over such things. We all understand why Gracie feels angry. I think her only mistake is blaming her dad and Katie for being the source of her unhappiness--they aren't deliberately doing anything to make her miserable, they fell in love and they want to be together. These are two responsible parents, and they aren't free to run off together and start a new life just by themselves, they have to work out a solution that includes 5 children and another on the way. They really aren't just thinking of themselves, as Gracie tends to see it. The situation isn't quite as unbalanced and "unfair" on her side as Gracie thinks it is, her dad and Katie also have their options for getting what they want, and even thinking about what they want, limited, and compromised, by other forces and other obligations--like their children.

Maybe if Gracie could see that the situation isn't quite as unbalanced in terms of "fairness" as she thinks it is, she would feel a little less angry at her dad and Katie. She can be angry and upset about having her life disrupted without trying to blame them for doing it. If they really weren't thinking about her, and their other children, they could just jump into a car and drive off into the sunset together. She impacts, and limits, their choices, just as they impact hers.

engineer

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:38 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Maybe the pregnancy was an accident, and maybe it wasn't, but they clearly want this child and they want to be together.

And that is a key point. Gracie has latched onto this premise that "it is all their fault". Certainly the sex part was but no birth control is 100% and this happens to responsible adults all the time. What happened afterwards is that they decided to have this child. They had other options. At this point, this is not an accident or a mistake and pushing that theme allows Gracie to justify her anger by making it all about her dad's mistake instead of about the challenges two families have in blending together. Even without the child, Gracie would be facing this same situation if her father had proposed and decided to move the family. If she has it in her mind that her father has done something wrong and she is suffering the consequences, she will have a lot harder time with the situation IMO.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:40 am
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
Everythings really different and Im just not used to it yet.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Give yourself time to get used to it. Give your dad and Katie time to get used to it. Just take a breather, keep going on with your life, and deal with things one step at a time--slowly--and stay in the present, stop thinking ahead. You need to keep dealing with the present, not what will happen if you move or after you move. Stop thinking so far ahead. You need to process the changes that have already happened--and you're right, you're not used to them yet.

You are much less likely to emotionally over-react if you just stay in the here and now. You are over-loading yourself by thinking, and worrying, too far ahead. Let things unfold and react to them as they are actually happening.

I hope the talk with your dad today is productive and answers some of your questions.

You seem to be doing fine handling the present. Just try to not be too much of a brat. Smile Dump all your anger and upset here rather than taking it out on your dad or Katie right now. You have a lot of understanding shoulders to lean on in here.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 09:07 am
So, Gracie, how did the family discussion go?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 09:33 am
@firefly,
Quote:
JTT: What man/woman of their age gets pregnant?

Quote:
Come on, JTT--how ancient do you think these people are? Laughing

Ancient enough to realize that a pregnancy and even their new relationship could do exactly what it is now doing to their respective families. That a slower approach might have been a better approach.

Quote:

That pretty much covers it, doesn't it, FF.

But useless speculation on our part won't help Gracie deal with this issue. We can't possibly know all the facts involved here so leaping to unwarranted conclusions also won't help Gracie.

What will help her has pretty much all been said.
firefly

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Ancient enough to realize that a pregnancy and even their new relationship could do exactly what it is now doing to their respective families. That a slower approach might have been a better approach.

They'd still need a larger house.

Gracie is essentially in the situation of many other children whose custodial divorced parent decides to remarry and blend his or her family with that of the new partner. And it always involves some upheaval or disruption, no matter how slow you take it, unless you want to wait until everyone's children are grown and out of the home--something most people really don't want to do.

The only thing a little different in Gracie's case is that she hasn't grown up with an adult female parent in the home--or even had contact with her female parent. In some ways that makes Katie even more of an unfamiliar presence, more of an intruder, more of a usurper, more of a rival, in terms of her impact on Gracie's life. She's not just daddy's "girlfriend", she's now daddy's partner--they are going to have a child together, they are going to buy a home together, they are planning a future together. Katie now has power with daddy, and within the family, of a sort that Gracie isn't accustomed to seeing in another person living in the home. And, when they move to a new home, I think Katie's power and influence will become even more apparent because that will definitely be her home as well. All of that will call for a lot of psychological adjustment on Gracie's part, and it may not be easy, and some of it may already be evident. The upset isn't just about having to move, leave friends, and go to a new school--the family dynamics are shifting.

I noticed that Gracie seemed to bristle slightly at the thought of Katie even being called her "step-mother". But, with or without a marriage certificate, it's hard to see how she wouldn't be in that role in relation to Gracie, in terms of her status in the home--even if she doesn't assume a mothering or authority role. She's more than dad's "girlfriend", she's more than Gracie's friend, she really is dad's partner, and, for Gracie, that may take some getting used to.

The good part is that Gracie likes Katie, or seems to, and that may help to make things easier.