Spanish Thread

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:59 am
Can any of you define "demas"... My translator won't and its driving me crazy.
...conocimientos y experiencias con los "demas" en...

Por todo lo "demas",
el servidor es excelente...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:08 pm
Pero estaba bien porque, cuando lo "demas" de la casa se despertaron...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:01 pm
just keep it elementary and I'll catch on in a month or 3
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:04 pm
OCCOM BILL..

Try "demás."

.. "other, others."
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:06 pm
"the rest" demas ??
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:26 pm
ESTOY RECIBIENDO SUS CORREOS, NO HE TENIDO PROBLEMA CON ELLOS, TENIA PROBLEMAS PARA ENVIAR LOS EMAIL A TONY, PERO EL ULTIMO QUE ENVIE PARECE QUE NO HUBO PROBLEMA PERO NO LO SE PORQUE NO HE RECIBIDO RESPUESTA DE EL.

this is the kind thing I deal with
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:56 pm
Thanks Satt!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:26 pm
Aaa, What a useful thread I created....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
Fun thread!

I'll start pointing out a few things.

"Me habla": means he/she speaks to me.
I speak is "Yo hablo".

Rufio is right when explaining the past participle. Don't think in English and translate word by word; it is a different construction alltogether.

Sky is "cielo". (Not "el cielo"; that would be the sky).
Heaven is also "cielo".
[this means that if we want to translate to Spanish John Lennon's imagine, we would have to use a fancy word: "firmamento"]

Now, the "vosotros" is serious stuff, if you want to go to Spain or to truly learn the language.
In Latin America, we use the "formal" pronoun for the second person of the plural: "Ustedes", and it's declined just like the third person.
In Spain, an "informal" pronoun (but it sounds so formal to Latin American ears!) is used: "Vosotros".

So in Spain, you would say:

Yo amo
Tú amas (informal) - Usted ama (formal)
El/Ella ama
Nosotros amamos
Vosotros amais (informal) - Ustedes aman (formal)
Ellos aman

In Latin America the vosotros is not used. But it is studied since grade school, and becomes quite necessary to enjoy some literature and to understand some composite words.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:06 pm
Thanks for all the help guys, seriously! But can anyone tell me some big words so I can unleash them in Spanish class to mess with my teacher?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:06 pm
Most of the big words I have seen are all cognates.....So political terms will work...My favorite is Communisto!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:54 am
Fbaez - I was taught that the convention was to identify nouns by including the article when not in context. And I have learned some vosotros conjugations, actually, but I didn't learn them until I got to college, so they are neccessarily a little sketchy.

My favorite cognate is "colegio" which means "high school" - that gave me so much grief for a while.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm
rufio, it may be a convention for native english speakers, since the article helps to identify the gender.

child of the light: it would be "comunista", regardless of the person's sex.
It's soooo American to use "comunista" as a "big word".

The big word would depend on the teacher's national origins.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:25 pm
rufio wrote:
My favorite cognate is "colegio" which means "high school" - that gave me so much grief for a while.

This is called a false cognate. There are some funny ones.

Quote:
"I learned a little bit of Spanish while I was travelling in Mexico. One day in a market, I was attempting to converse with the locals. I wanted to say I was very hungy, 'Yo tengo mucho hambre', but instead said 'Yo tengo mucho hombre', which translates as 'I have many men'.

"To correct my error, I then tried to say that I was very embarrassed, but instead said "Yo tengo muy embarassado" which translated as me being very pregnant. What do you expect with so many men! The locals were rolling around on the floor with laughter."
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:34 pm
LOL

It reminded me of an American woman, friend of my parents, who toasted in New Years "Feliz Ano Nuevo", instead of "Feliz Año Nuevo".
She said: "Happy new arsehole"
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
fbaezer wrote:
LOL

It reminded me of an American woman, friend of my parents, who toasted in New Years "Feliz Ano Nuevo", instead of "Feliz Año Nuevo".
She said: "Happy new arsehole"

That would be something I would do! LOL
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:17 pm
So nothing you guys? Crying or Very sad

How bout boycott, or "in theory".....definitively? assumption?(probably assumpcion). Any help would be like a drink of water, after days in the desert heat.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:04 pm
On false cognates, I heard of a billboard for pocket protectors that translated "embarrased" as "embarrasada" and ended up saying something about pens making one pregnant. And another one marketing a car called a "Nova" which means "it doesn't go".

Child, I don't think assumption is a cognate, but it would most likely be transliterated assuncion anyway since pc is not allowed.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:12 am
Boycott = boycott
In Theory = en teoría
Asumption = suposición (asunción is more like exaltation, frenzy, passion). Nevertheless, "asumir", whose main meaning is to take possesion of, is also to admit, to accept, to commit oneself.

A pregnant woman = una mujer embarazada (with a z).
A pregnant mare = una yegua preñada

The Nova joke is an urban legend. Lots of people here have a Chevy Nova. We can tell the difference between a star (Nova) and two separate words (no va; it doesn't go).
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:02 pm
Thanks guys...Test is tomorrow, my teacher is gonna get answers like "en teoría, tiempo es un principal falso..." or something like that, I'll have to work on it.
0 Replies