Florida's Stand your Ground law

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:55 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
He'll even have a rational-sounding explanation for why this is a good idea.
An ARMED SOCIETY is a POLITE society.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
See? What'd I say?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

And a frightened society.
parados

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 06:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
We might as well eliminate warrants since no one will survive the serving of a warrant. If you are convinced that all warrants are illegal then you are free to shoot anyone trying to serve one.

You must really hate parts of the Constitution David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:21 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
See? What'd I say?
I don 't pretend to be an expert on the history of Japan,
but I suspect that that 's how the Japanese etiquette devoloped.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:26 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
We might as well eliminate warrants since no one will survive the serving of a warrant.
REALLY?
I guess we 'll find out
whether u r right or rong, won 't we ??

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
And a frightened society.
This new information comes as quite a surprize, Izzy.

Do u believe that the police,
soldiers n Marines all live in a constant state of fear??

The State of Vermont has never had any gun laws.
I take it, from your assertion, that its citizens have lived
in fear all of their lives; of that, I am skeptical, Izzy.

Within the last 1O years, several other States have repealed all
of their gun laws (except retaining VOLUNTARY licensing for citizens who desire it).
I will confess that there have been no surveys concerning pervasive fear, so far as I know.
I wonder if the sale of Xanax has increased in those States. U think ?

Until around the First World War, approximately 1920,
England was a free country and armed self defense was expected.
Please tell us whether the citizens lived in unending fear until then.

David
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:42 am
Since you seem to have lived in fear since you were eight years old, only assuaged when you've been armed, you may not be the most reliable witness, David. Walk around without any gun at all for a month, David, I dare you. As most of us do. Give all your household guns to one of your Mensa buddies to hold for you for a month. Live without any guns around. Can you do it? Most of us can. My sister and brother--in-law and their two tween girls live in NYC, have for thirty years, and they've never had guns. Why are you incapable of it? Do that and then talk to us again about fear.
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 10:06 am
Japanese society has, for at least 3000 years (and probably a good longer--new archaeological investigations suggest this) lived to the very limit of their resources. This means their food resources and their resources of land, in the dynamic of land use for agriculture, livestock and for living space. The rigid social codes which we associate with the Japanese derive from the need to provide for everyone from constrained resources. Even as recently as the beginning of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the Edo period (17th century), Japan's population was 30 million, and produced an average of 25 million koku of rice each year. (There is dispute about just how much a koku of rice was, but no argument about it being the amount of rice needed to feed an adult male for one year. Although children and the eldery required less, they were obviously living at the limit of their resources.)

So Japanese culture was a product of coping marvelously well with very limited resources. Japan does not have a history of constant warfare like nearly every other culture which has progressed past the stone age. The idiocy of American gun nuts notwithstanding, the Japanese culture is a tribute to institutionalized civility, not the product of an obsession with armed conflict.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:33 am
@Setanta,
I did not imply that the Japs were in a constant state of war,
but the Samurai knew to be polite to one another.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I wasn't around in 1920 David. People who live in totalitarian regimes are very well behaved and polite. One of the unfortunate consequences of freedom is that people can behave like arseholes.

Britain is far freer now than it ever was in the 1920s.

Quote:
At the beginning of the 20th century surveys showed that 25% of the population of Britain were living in poverty. They found that at least 15% were living at subsistence level. They had just enough money for food, rent, fuel and clothes. They could not afford 'luxuries' such as newspapers or public transport. About 10% were living in below subsistence level and could not afford an adequate diet.

http://www.localhistories.org/20thcent.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:48 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Since you seem to have lived in fear since you were eight years old,
As a true liberal, u distort what I have said.
I felt uneasy at home alone, in an unarmed condition,
until I armed myself with a .38 revolver (which were plentiful).
Then, I felt serene, knowing that I had a decent chance
to control predatory emergencies, shud thay arise.

MontereyJack wrote:
only assuaged when you've been armed, you may not be the most reliable witness, David. Walk around without any gun at all for a month, David, I dare you. As most of us do. Give all your household guns to one of your Mensa buddies to hold for you for a month. Live without any guns around. Can you do it? Most of us can. My sister and brother--in-law and their two tween girls live in NYC, have for thirty years, and they've never had guns. Why are you incapable of it? Do that and then talk to us again about fear.
Jack, u confuse fear with prudence and wisdom.
For that matter, I cud apply your exhortation to dumping jacks
and spare tires out of the trunks of my cars, and I cud dump my health insurance,
assuming the risks myself, as u encourage; its not wise.
Its the same as if u told me that u and your friends had no health insurance
and u encourage me to dump MINE, too and then u tell me
that u all drive drunk a lot with no collisions yet, and u try to get ME to do it. NO SALE.

If an emergency arises (as has already happened),
then I wanna be able to control it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:53 am
@izzythepush,
That 's not political freedom.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 12:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The use of restricted party political broadcasts means the voter is not as subject to the tyranny of the rich man.

We're freer, you've just got the definition ballsed up that's all.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 02:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Sounds like life in the U.S. at the present time.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:43 pm
I am sad that no one till me has pointed out that Zimmermans lawyers have officially moved to make this a stand your ground case....
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:00 am
@Setanta,
I would just add that the Japanese society had their fiefdoms and warlords in their long history - as did most of Asia.

During the late 19th and early 20th century, Japan had difficulty feeding their own families even if they had farms. That's one of the reasons why many Japanese moved to Hawaii and the US - to find work, and the availability of more food.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:00 am
@Setanta,
I would just add that the Japanese society had their fiefdoms and warlords in their long history - as did most of Asia.

During the late 19th and early 20th century, Japan had difficulty feeding their own families even if they had farms. That's one of the reasons why many Japanese moved to Hawaii and the US - to find work, and the availability of more food.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:54 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am sad that no one till me has pointed out that Zimmermans lawyers have officially moved to make this a stand your ground case....

Are they going to appeal that judge's refusal to recuse himself?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 01:09 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
If you thought Florida's stand your ground law as nuts, check out Indiana's newest version

Indiana Governor Signs Bill Into Law, Allowing Citizens To Use “Deadly Force” Against Police Officers

Sounds like a sensible law. If the police do not make it clear that they are lawfully entering someone's home, it is reasonable for homeowners to fire on them when they barge in unannounced with guns blazing.

Perhaps this law will be the first step in reining in abusive police tactics.

And like I mentioned in one of the other threads, we really need to get homeowners across the nation armed with bazookas. No amount of body armor is ever going to withstand an anti-tank missile.
0 Replies