Florida's Stand your Ground law

Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
yeah...

you wouldn't want to slug anyone back, dave.

you might break your trigger finger...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Do u see my point ??

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I do. But I dissent from it.
SO STIPULATED (that u do). Multiple be the chuckles.

Consider, tho:
imagine that your very favorite person
was in a fight for his or her life.

IF u cud only observe and shout advice,
wud u encourage him or her to KILL the predator as fast as he or she possibly CAN,
or to GO EAZY on the perpetrator and hope for the best ??

(For the moment, let's not bring the police into the thought experiment.)

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
yeah...

you wouldn't want to slug anyone back, dave.

you might break your trigger finger...
Good POINT.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:24 am
This stand your ground law seems to be a pretty loose law which allows prosecuters and the police to pick and choose who is covered and who is not. A woman in an abusive situtation was told that she could have left when she shot in the air to defend herself against her husband who had a history of abusing her.

Quote:
It took 45 days for police to arrest George Zimmerman, who invoked Florida's controversial stand-your-ground law when he shot an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin. When Marissa Alexander offered the same defense after shooting in the direction of her abusive husband, she was jailed for 20 years. It took 12 minutes for the jury to find her guilty.

While Zimmerman's case prompted a frenzied national debate, Alexander's story has had little national media coverage since the verdict was handed down last Friday. But the cases share one crucial detail: the guiding hand of state attorney Angela Corey.

Corey was brought in to oversee the prosecution of Zimmerman after the controversy over his defense grew; in the case of Alexander, Corey vigorously argued against using the stand-your-ground law to justify shooting a violent husband. "If I can't have you, nobody going to have you," her estranged husband, Rico Gray, allegedly told Alexander, before the altercation during which he was shot at.

Lawmakers in Florida say Alexander's case is precisely the kind where the controversial defense should apply. "The stand-your-ground law was legislated and implemented to protect people like Ms Alexander," said state senator Gary Siplin. "She did not have a history of criminal or violent behavior; instead, she had a history of being physically and emotionally abused." But a week ago, a jury disagreed, and she was handed a mandatory minimum 20-year sentence.

The case dates from 1 August 2010, when Alexander and Gray got into a fight at their home after he found text messages to Alexander's ex-husband on her phone.

At some point during the altercation, Alexander went into the garage. She claims she could not flee because the garage door was not working and she did not have the keys to her car. Alexander grabbed her handgun from inside the glove compartment and went back into the house. She fired a single shot at Gray, who was standing in the living room with his sons, ages nine and 13. The shot missed.

Alexander's family claims she was an experienced shooter and the trajectory of the bullet proves she was not aiming to kill or injure anyone. But Corey disputed these claims, with photographs showing bullet holes in walls at near "adult-height".

Corey also argued that stand-your-ground did not apply because Alexander could have fled the scene, although in 1999 the Florida supreme court ruled that a woman attacked by her husband in the home they share has no duty to flee.

In a November 2010 deposition, Gray admitted he had told Alexander that "if she ever cheated on me I would kill her" and, during the tussle, said: "If I can't have you, nobody can." He said that he was he "was going towards her" when Alexander fired a shot that went "high" and to his right. Gray said the gun was not pointed at him: "She just didn't want me to put my hands on her anymore, so she did what she feel like she have to do to make sure she wouldn't get hurt."

In the deposition, Gray admitted to abusing "all five of his babies' mamas except one," and to hitting Alexander. A previous encounter had resulted in Alexander being hospitalized.

But at a hearing in July 2011 when Alexander's legal team cited self defense in a motion to dismiss the charges against her, Gray changed his story, claiming he had lied about the details of the incident to protect Alexander. He now says that it was Alexander's violent nature that caused her to shoot at him.

source

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:17 am
@revelette,
Yeah I read about that case too. Based on the cases I've read about so far, the bigger cities appear to have less tolerance for stand your ground claims -- Jacksonville and Miami specifically. The rest of the state seems to have a different interpretation of the law. I'm not sure who's right, but the difference in application should be enough to support major modifications to the law, if not outright repeal.
revelette

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:47 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
The rest of the state seems to have a different interpretation of the law. I'm not sure who's right, but the difference in application should be enough to support major modifications to the law, if not outright repeal

I agree. I am not sure either if she had just cause to shoot a gun in the air at the very moment she did. Also seems a little weird that she was leaving but her children were staying. Also, even if she was good at shooting, it seems a risky thing to do with your children standing right there. On the other hand she may have felt threatened since he made threats against her and has abused her in the past and she had to go back inside for her keys.

My point is that it seems like the law is just fraught with the potential for it to be used unfairly and hard to judge when the law would apply and when it would not, in this case in particular. In the Trevor case, I don't see how it could even be attemtped to be justified by the law.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:43 am
@revelette,
This case is fairly complicated. The children in question were not hers, apparently, though she does have a pair of young twins as I understand it. Based on the prosecutor's comments (Angela Corey, btw) the fact that the kids were there is what sealed her fate.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:22 pm
@revelette,
Warning shots are not usually defensible.
revelette

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 07:26 am
@roger,
Note: I should have typed "Trayvon" instead of Trever.

Quote:
Warning shots are not usually defensible.

I haven't read the Stand Your Ground Law, however, wouldn't that law kind of change things?

If she actually shot him when she felt threatened, then that would have been different than just shooting in the air? Besides according to the article one of the argument for the state was that the shots were at adult level.

Actually though I understand the part about shooting around children being a reckless thing to do. However, he did threaten her in the past and she may have felt her life was in danger by going back in for her keys.

My point though was the difference in the amount of time it took for her to be charged and convicted verses the Trayvon Martin case. Zimmerman more than likely would have never been charged if there had not been a rightful protest about it and Trayvon is actually dead after only coming home from the store with a bag of skittles and tea in his hand. Guess the woman who lived in an abusive situation should have either shot when she was actually abused and killed him (don't miss or shoot a warning shot) or took her chances coming back in the house for her keys and only shooting him if he actually comes towards her in a threatening manner. The law is confusing and like I said, ripe for the potential for the law enforcement and courts to pick and choose who is covered and who is not. There don't seem to be any clear guidelines being universally applied.
roger

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:35 am
@revelette,
It could depend on exactly where you are, but if you shoot someone, it might have been in self defense, or defense of another. If you fire a warning shot, you're pretty much admitting that in your own judgement you were not in a life or death situation.

The same thinking is influencing a number of local police departments. Some no longer permit the carrying of batons, PR - 24s, and collapsable steel batons. If the officer's assessment is such that the gun is not needed, what is his position if he kills or cripples someone with a supposedly non lethal weapon.
FreeDuck

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:39 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

It could depend on exactly where you are, but if you shoot someone, it might have been in self defense, or defense of another. If you fire a warning shot, you're pretty much admitting that in your own judgement you were not in a life or death situation.

The same thinking is influencing a number of local police departments. Some no longer permit the carrying of batons, PR - 24s, and collapsable steel batons. If the officer's assessment is such that the gun is not needed, what is his position if he kills or cripples someone with a supposedly non lethal weapon.

That's a take I hadn't heard before. It may be a female perspective, but I can certainly see firing a warning shot as self defense or defense of another solely because I would be uncomfortable taking another life, even if mine were in danger. Do I have to kill someone when I might just be able to change their mind?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:41 am
@roger,
This isn't thinking, Roger. This is a reaction to a stupid law that came about from a good deal of nonthinking.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 12:56 pm
@roger,
Quote:

Actually according to the state attorney, Corey, it was not a warning shot because the bullet holes were at adult level. Therefore, the whole argument about warning shots not being defensible, is moot.

From my original post:

Quote:
At some point during the altercation, Alexander went into the garage. She claims she could not flee because the garage door was not working and she did not have the keys to her car. Alexander grabbed her handgun from inside the glove compartment and went back into the house. She fired a single shot at Gray, who was standing in the living room with his sons, ages nine and 13. The shot missed.

Alexander's family claims she was an experienced shooter and the trajectory of the bullet proves she was not aiming to kill or injure anyone. But Corey disputed these claims, with photographs showing bullet holes in walls at near "adult-height".
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 07:42 pm
If you thought Florida's stand your ground law as nuts, check out Indiana's newest version

Indiana Governor Signs Bill Into Law, Allowing Citizens To Use “Deadly Force” Against Police Officers
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:02 pm
@parados,
And here we thought they were nuts just in Florida?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:13 pm
David will be ecstatic, I'm sure.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
He'll even have a rational-sounding explanation for why this is a good idea.
JTT

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
He'll even have a rational-sounding explanation for why this is a good idea.

You're wrong to feel that way and you are a hypocrite to boot, Merry.

Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:48 pm
@JTT,
Shocked Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:51 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
David will be ecstatic, I'm sure.
YES.
Addressing our attention to FIRST PRINCIPLES:
I wanna re-establish the status quo ante of pre-liberal America.

After we threw out the King of England,
the citizens CREATED government in America and DEFINED it.
That is to say that the Individual citizens were the gods
who brought government into existence, from nothing.

The Founders of the Republic knew that Individual freedom
and jurisdiction of government were INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

Liberals want the Individual citizen to look UP,
with admiration and & obedience to government as if it had created us
and we belong to IT.

Originalist American Conservatives look DOWN upon government,
KNOWING that WE created the damned thing; it belongs to us.
We see it with disdain and abhorrence, as an incompetent & singularly untrustworthy employee.

The citizens of Indiana do not run their lives for the benefit of THE POLICE,
who remain free to leave, if working conditions r unsatisfactory in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

David
0 Replies