Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:13 am
I was surprised at the murder charge expecting a lesser charge like manslaughter based on the currently public information . This is all speculation here, of course, and only based on what little we currently know about this case, but when all is said and done do you think Zimmerman will stand convicted of murder?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 45 • Views: 130,353 • Replies: 2,929

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
i expect him to remain convinced that murder is the way to go
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:18 am
@djjd62,
Are you saying that based on the available evidence you believe it was an act of murder?
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
i rarely concern myself with facts or evidence, i just trust my gut, my gut says he provoked an incident that allowed him to attempt to get away with murder, using the SYG law
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:40 am
I think he is a murderer. I think (cynically) that he was charged with 2nd degree murder, instead of manslaughter, but that the evidence won't be compelling enough and he'll walk.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:43 am
I think he will plead guilty to a lesser charge, serve less than four years and then be freed.

Joe(so it goes)Nation
boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:52 am
I think he's guilty of homicide, but maybe not murder.

I think he'll plead guilty to manslaughter.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:06 am
No one here can say if he will be convicted. Of more interest to me will the community reaction if he is acquitted. Shades of Rodney King.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think he's guilty of second degree murder, but won't be convicted. I understand Florida allows the prosecution to prosecute for murder, while allowing the jury to convict on a lesser charge. If this is the case, prosecution has nothing to lose, and may use the higher charge to extract an easy plea.

Hey, they let me edit after several replies!
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:10 am
@Setanta,
We are fond of two things, at least, down here in the USA:

1) Shooting each other.

2) Rioting over the results of a trial regarding the events of 1).

Joe(with Liberty and Justice for All)Nation
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I think he's guilty of homicide, but maybe not murder.

Well he admitted to homicide. Whether the homicide was a crime and which is the key.

Quote:
I think he'll plead guilty to manslaughter.

I wonder if that's why they brought murder charges, to try to get him to plea to lesser charges.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:19 am
@Joe Nation,
The Rodney King case pissed people off all over the country. I think this case is even more powerfully emotive for people.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
Obviously there's a lot we don't know, which makes me hesitant to guess. Stuff might come out in the trial that takes things one direction or another.

From what we do know so far, it seems like a range of scenarios are possible. For example:

Scenario A:

Zimmerman is doing his neighborhood watch thing and sees Trayvon walking along looking at houses (trying to figure out which one is his dad's girlfriend's house, they're hard to tell apart). Zimmerman is reminded of the robberies in the area and decides to keep a close eye on this guy. Zimmerman's feeling guilty that the robberies happened on his watch and is determined to not let it happen again.

Zimmerman says something to Trayvon, they have a brief exchange in which Zimmerman becomes more convinced that Trayvon's up to no good and Trayvon becomes more convinced that this guy is creepy, and Trayvon takes off and Zimmerman goes after him.

There is some sort of physical confrontation and Zimmerman feels threatened, and shoots Trayvon.

Not sure what charge that would be, if that's the scenario. Seems like he'd still have to be guilty of something since all of that chasing is contradictory to Stand Your Ground.

Scenario B:

Zimmerman is angry about something maybe, generally loaded for bear. Sees Trayvon doing nothing in particular and gets pissed off. Goes after him with the intent of causing harm. Trayvon does nothing but try to defend himself when physically confronted, and Zimmerman still shoots him.

That would seem to get more towards actual murder.

I think manslaughter is the more likely conviction.

But there really is a lot we don't know.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:35 am
Personally, I deplore "trial by media". At this point there is no jury, and all the evidence has not been evaluated by a jury. I think that it is a matter of "wait and see".

I really question as to whether Zimmerman can get a fair trial.

Here is some new information:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-case-exclusive-photo-shows-bloodied-back/story?id=16177849#.T5FQs9lWBIQ
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think it is going to be really hard to convict him of murder. It doesn’t seem there is enough evidence to convict (at least from what I have seen/heard). But you really never know what a jury will do.

I am not going to speculate whether he is guilty of murder or not – I cannot possibly know. Especially where there has been so much media around it – it is so easy to be swayed.
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Yeah - that could be partly why they are charging him as such - leaves room for a lesser plea.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:46 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I think it is going to be really hard to convict him of murder. It doesn’t seem there is enough evidence to convict (at least from what I have seen/heard).

Right, that's a good point. There's what seems most likely, and what can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. I do worry about an outcome where those two things diverge a lot.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:46 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I think he's guilty of second degree murder, but won't be convicted.

I'd be interested in knowing your thinking behind it, I see voluntary manslaughter as being the more likely crime that I guess he is guilty of but am interested in what made you think murder.

I agree with you that I don't think he will be convicted of murder.

Quote:
I understand Florida allows the prosecution to prosecute for murder, while allowing the jury to convict on a lesser charge. If this is the case, prosecution has nothing to lose, and may use the higher leverage the higher charge into a plea.

That makes sense, the murder charge seemed a bit ambitious to me but if that's how it works there really is little downside to it for the prosecutors.
thack45

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
I totally agree about the trial by media point.

And to what set just mentioned, that'd be the media's ultimate victory
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:51 am
@Robert Gentel,
No. He'll either go free or get manslaughter.
0 Replies