Florida's Stand your Ground law

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
OK..I'll play this devil's advocate game.

Do you know for a fact that he wasn't self-appointed? However, on the contrary, if he was self-appointed why was he calling in to a supervisor-dispatcher (who told him to back down)?
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:49 pm
He weasn't calling a supervising dispatcher. He was calling 911.
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
That's kind of in dispute. There are reports that Zimmerman called a non-emergency dispatch number to report on Trayvon, a number of times.

There were calls to 911 that night from neighbors and bystanders, though.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Who cares? I care. I know propaganda when I see it, and I would rather have journalism. Most of the "reporting" on George and the Nazi's late 30's "reporting" on the jews varies only in degree of whipping up the ignorant masses in hopes of furthering an agenda. Just as the Germans did we eat this **** up.
DAMN U, Hawkeye, is that what u have on the menu in your restaurant??????
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:22 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
That's kind of in dispute. There are reports that Zimmerman called a non-emergency dispatch number
to report on Trayvon, a number of times.

There were calls to 911 that night from neighbors and bystanders, though.
Its seems unlikely
that the dispatcher had any AUTHORITY
to tell free American citizens who to follow
or who thay must not follow.

If there is any claim
that he HAD competent jurisdiction to order an American citizen
NOT to follow someone, then I'd wanna know where he GOT that authority.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:41 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

OK..I'll play this devil's advocate game.

Do you know for a fact that he wasn't self-appointed?

I do know that there was a meeting about neighborhood watch, and that there was a turnout for it. This is not a case of one person claiming to represent others with out their knowledge for sure, and it is very difficult to imagine that George was operating without their consent. The label "self appointed" is not attributted to a source, and reads as a derogatory alligation against George.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's true, David, and you've made that point before (although a little more nicely this time, thank you). I think you'd agree with me, though, that if Mr. Zimmerman had no intention of following the advice he was given from whomever he spoke with, then he was wasting both his and the operator/dispatcher's time. Emergency assistance is there to help us avoid making a situation worse. They aren't our enemies. I think we can kind of put this bone of contention to rest.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:52 pm
@Irishk,
911 is out hotline to the state, called to give the state the chance to intervene if they want to....it is not a call to daddy for instructions.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Since Zimmerman failed to follow the advice then it was Zimmerman that was responsible for his actions. Since Zimmerman put himself in a situation where he shot someone that makes Zimmerman responsible for the shooting. Now the only question is what was his intention. Did he recklessly disregard the instructions that would have kept him out of the situation? Or did he blatantly disregard them?

That is only the difference between man slaughter and murder.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 07:18 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Since Zimmerman failed to follow the advice then it was Zimmerman that was responsible for his actions. Since Zimmerman put himself in a situation where he shot someone that makes Zimmerman responsible for the shooting. Now the only question is what was his intention. Did he recklessly disregard the instructions that would have kept him out of the situation? Or did he blatantly disregard them?

That is only the difference between man slaughter and murder.

George was responsible when he pulled the trigger, because under our law there is no possible way for a trigger puller to not be responsible for the the trigger being pulled (and if you think this is obvious consider sex law, where a woman can eagerly have sex with a guy and find out later that she had no responsibly for the sex due to Americas extreme twisting of the meaning of consent) . Now the question is whether he is criminally liable for the death. We do not know the answer.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:38 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
That's true, David, and you've made that point before (although a little more nicely this time, thank you). I think you'd agree with me, though, that if Mr. Zimmerman had no intention of following the advice he was given from whomever he spoke with,
then he was wasting both his and the operator/dispatcher's time.
OK. I agree that he wasted the fone operator's time.

Irishk wrote:
Emergency assistance is there to help us avoid making a situation worse. They aren't our enemies.
I think we can kind of put this bone of contention to rest.
We can IF people stop alleging that anyone has to obay
telefone operators.

If someone claims that we DO have to obay them,
then I wanna know the reason Y we do.
I don 't think that 's too much to ask.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:48 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Since Zimmerman failed to follow the advice
then it was Zimmerman that was responsible for his actions.
OK, lemme see if I got this straight from Mr. Parados.
When a fone operator, or maybe the shoeshine boy on the corner,
calls Mr. Parados from now on, he will obediently follow all of their
directions about whom he must follow and whom he must not follow,
because he is wise enuf to avoid assuming *responsibilities*.

Is that accurate, Mr. Parados???
(Maybe it says somewhere in the Bible
that u r supposed to humbly obay the fone operators and the shoeshine boys; I dunno.)
Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It wasn't a phone operator he called. Let's get this clear: it was the Sanford FL Police Dispatcher.

"...while contacting the Sanford Police Department to report Martin's behavior as suspicious. Soon afterward, there was a confrontation that ended with Zimmerman fatally shooting Martin once in the chest at close range."

When Zimmmerman was taken in custody at Sanford Police station, the injuries he had were a bloody nose and an abrasion on the back of his head.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:24 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
It wasn't a phone operator he called.
Let's get this clear: it was the Sanford FL Police Dispatcher.
Yeah, the fone operator for the police. YES??

Will u be good enuf to tell us
HOW the fone operator for the police
acquired jurisdiction to command citizens as to whom to follow or NOT to follow ???????????

Please tell us whether his advice
has the same status as a mandatory injunction from a court of law or equity, in Florida????

David
Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OK. You win! Such a cogent argument!

A dispatcher at the police may not be solely a phone operator. They MIGHT BE an officer of the law.

Why would Zimmerman call the police? For instructions and advice and to report the happenings.
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Is that accurate, Mr. Parados???

Not even CLOSE to accurate David.
And you claim to have an IQ over 120?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:44 am
David says:

Quote:
acquired jurisdiction to command citizens as to whom to follow or NOT to follow ???????????

I suspect that, every waking minute of every day for the last six weeks, George Zimmerman wishes he'd taken that advice.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:47 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
OK. You win! Such a cogent argument!

A dispatcher at the police may not be solely a phone operator.
They MIGHT BE an officer of the law.
Does that mean that Mr. Z shud reason
that the operator MIGHT have legal powers & abilities far beyond those of mortal men,
and therefore, against that chance, Z shud be humble n docile in obaying him??

Is that how America works???????

Ragman wrote:
Why would Zimmerman call the police?
For instructions and advice and to report the happenings.
He called them for BACK-UP, and thay arrived in response.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:52 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Two things.

1.) It's the way that they're usually identified. We all know who Trayvon is, we all know who Zimmerman is. "George" and "Martin" are not as automatic.

2.) Trayvon is (was) a kid. That's standard, to refer to a kid by his/ her first name and an adult by his/ her last name.

I think a third reason is that Zimmerman and Trayvon are much less common than George and Martin.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:52 am
@MontereyJack,
David says:

Quote:
MontereyJack wrote:
I suspect that, every waking minute of every day for the last six weeks,
George Zimmerman wishes he'd taken that advice.
I think I 've heard that called:
"Monday morning quarterbacking".
It applies to a lot of mistakes that people have made.

I have never been ADVISED by police fone dispatchers,
but there r enuf things in my life that I 'd love to go back in time and improve.

David
0 Replies