Florida's Stand your Ground law

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:18 am
No, David. It's a general principle: "Take good advice".
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:48 am
@MontereyJack,
You know David. He knows more about every situation than anyone else. Especially those that deal with those situations for 40 hours a week. How could anyone that deals with those situations daily know more than David? The man is a "genius".
Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:01 pm
@parados,
I have known people who were lawyers and they were duty-bound to convince others of their correctness...no MATTER what the circumstance!
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

No, David. It's a general principle: "Take good advice".

Are you arguing that we are criminally liable for not following orders? AND that these said orders do not need come from officers of the law?

The law does not support the assertion from the state here the George became recless when he decided to not follow order, the arrest warrent reads as if it were written by a police state, were the citizens have very limited freedom.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
You have only yourself to blame if you disregard good advice and end up getting into trouble.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 04:11 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You have only yourself to blame if you disregard good advice and end up getting into trouble.

by choosing to charge murder the state is arguing that "criminally wrong" is by definition doing other that what the person on the other end of the phone call indicated was a good idea. The Constitution does not support the murder charge. We must hope that the judge does not let this overstepping of the states authority stand. We also need to hope that George stands up for all Americans here, and refuses to plea to manslaugter, which we can assume is the result that the state desires and the obtaining of which is the motive for this abusive charging.
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 04:13 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

And you certainly can't argue that you had no alternative.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Is that, in fact, what the prosecutor is arguing?

Do you have a link?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:55 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Is that, in fact, what the prosecutor is arguing?

Do you have a link?

It is called the arrest warrent....this arguement is the only possible way George not breaking off pusuit as was suggested is relevant to a murder charge. The DA included this in the warrent, so we have a good idea what the states arguement is. It is also rediculous....hopefully defense can make quick work of getting the murder charge dismissed.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
And why wouldn't it just be relevant to why Zimmerman is not covered by the Stand Your Ground law?

If he initiated the confrontation (which he did), then he's not shielded. After he lost that shield, his responsibility changed from "I can shoot if I fear for my life" to "I have to attempt to escape before I can defend myself with deadly force."

Showing that he lost that shield is very relevant to the case, and it's especially relevant that the prosecutor cover that base because the Stand Your Ground law allows civil suits if it is violated.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
And again, do you have a link to the text? A casual Google search didn't turn it up.

Edit: Nevermind. For those interested, it's athttp://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2012-04/69353440.pdf
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:03 pm
@hawkeye10,

I can see nothing in the arrest warrant that mentions the failure of Zimmerman to follow the phone advice.

http://www.demotix.com/photo/1154562/photo-arrest-warrant-george-zimmerman
DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:06 pm
@parados,
I think he means the affidavit.

This just seems to be a recitation of the facts, though, so Hawkeye's doing his usual song and dance about the sky falling.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:08 pm
@DrewDad,
The affidavit which led to the arrest warrant can be found here:

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2012-04/69353440.pdf
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:10 pm
@parados,
Of course, the affidavit ends with this statement.
Quote:
The facts mentioned in the Affidavit are not a complete recitiation of all the pertinent facts and evidence in this case but only are presented for a determination of Probable Cause of Second Degree Murder.

The fact that Zimmerman admitted to the shooting, had a gun on him and a shell casing was found at the scene must not be germaine to the charging I guess.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:17 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Of course, the affidavit ends with this statement.
Quote:
The facts mentioned in the Affidavit are not a complete recitiation
of all the pertinent facts and evidence in this case but only are presented
for a determination of Probable Cause of Second Degree Murder.

parados wrote:
The fact that Zimmerman admitted to the shooting,
had a gun on him and a shell casing was found at the scene must not be germaine to the charging I guess.
U guess correctly.
Thay do not show that any crime was committed.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Exactly...the state has not even been able to show probable cause, so at this point the judge should give the state 24 hours to come up with something better, and if they don't then come up with probable cause kick the case.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, Mr. Z can get a $$$lucrative$$$ cause of action
for false arrest from this, as well as a good, profitable book deal
for putting up with all this travail. Maybe a movie?? I dunno.
Charles Bronson is no longer with us.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think all the state will need to do is refile the charge as manslaugter.....do you not agree?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
If I recall correctly from another thread, Florida allows conviction on lesser charges, or the prosecution can offer that option during the trial.

I don't think they'll have to remove this charge and file another.