Florida's Stand your Ground law

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 02:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

DAVID wrote:
Immunity" from WHAT,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Claims of negligence on all acts performed in the line of 911 duty.
Is the dispatcher in peril of tortious litigation?????

Not here, but my point is that since the state protects all 911 operators with immunity we might take this as a claim that these operators are agents of the state. This however seems to be contradicted by the fact that the state no where that I can find confers upon these operators the authority to speak for the state.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 02:37 pm
Good lord, this is like listening to an argument over what color to paint the Titanic.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 02:41 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Good lord, this is like listening to an argument over what color to paint the Titanic.

I have to wonder about the intelligence of anyone who is not concerned enough to try to nail down the boundary between the state and the citizen. Are you one of those rubes who always does what they are told to do?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 02:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Isn't it reasonable to expect that someone take the advice of the emergency services?
Yes, depending on what it was.
There r occasions when your life depends on what actually is happening,
not on the opinions of a fone operator ex cathedra.

izzythepush wrote:
They may not have legal powers to order someone to do it,
but if they don't take the advice given, questions need to be asked.
Free speech being what it is, its OK to ask questions.

izzythepush wrote:
I would need a damn good reason to ignore the advice given to me by the emergency services.
Maybe we don 't all share your faith in government.

izzythepush wrote:
Then again, I don't live in Florida, if I were to murder someone of a different ethnicity,
I couldn't rely on the police to pervert the course of justice.
I 'm thinking of moving there.
Maybe u can come n be my nabor.

David
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
I was wondering, do you and David live under the same rock?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:24 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I was wondering, do you and David live under the same rock?

You are always free to point out where my understanding of reality is lacking. I get that I my ideas leave a bad taste in peoples mouth, but notably I am rarely shown to be wrong....
snood

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're wrong most of the time; you are just too handicapped to ever be able to accept it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:37 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

You're wrong most of the time; you are just too handicapped to ever be able to accept it.

Lets start small shall we? Kindly name one time where you have shown me to be wrong...and your assertion that I am wrong does not count.
snood

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Dude, you're not sucking me into you and Omsick's little world, where everything is about you. You can mentally masturbate your way into the belief that you and your extremist narrowmindedness has some kind of currency on this forum; that's fine with me. It's just more proof that you're too delusional to see how marginal you are.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:50 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Dude, you're not sucking me into you and Omsick's little world, where everything is about you. You can mentally masturbate your way into the belief that you and your extremist narrowmindedness has some kind of currency on this forum; that's fine with me. It's just more proof that you're too delusional to see how marginal you are.

I am a self described radical and a former revolutionary, so it is illuminating that you think that 1) I dont know that I am a Marginal player in the arena of ideas and 2) that this is a problem for me. You simply do not pay attention to anyone who does not agree with you, which accounts for your ongoing ignorance, such as we see here.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 04:24 pm
@snood,
And yet, Snood, you, one from the land of the "brave", engaged and now you are chickening out. But you aren't to be faulted for that for that's just how you operate.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
There is a difference between giving directions and compelling someone to comply with that direction.

One certainly isn't compelled to comply with all directions from police even though the police are authorized to give directions.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 04:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

on the other hand 911 operators have immunity as if they are agents of the state, and the state routinely uses 911 recordings to get around the Constitution prohibition on self incrimination,

911 calls are voluntary and from the person that calls that means the state isn't compelling anything.
Let me know when 911 calls you and asks you questions hawkeye. Your view of reality is really pretty warped sometimes.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 04:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Zimmerman almost certainly has more law enforcement training than does the 911 operator

On what do you base that statement hawkeye? My brother was a 911 operator after he had spent time as an MP in the military and while he was in police training. Zimmerman may have thought as you do but that doesn't make it true. It makes Zimmerman arrogant and you a fool.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 05:16 pm
@parados,
Reports that he was enrolled in Seminole Community College - Associate degree - Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement Administration, and planed to be a police officer. My understanding is the 911 certification leans heavily towards proving the ability to effectively handle calls and doing triage, that the law is a minute part of the very limited instruction period.

Quote:
Take the examination. In order to prepare for the exam, you're going to need to prepare in several different areas. Most tests include an evaluation of your typing, memory, vocabulary, spelling and clerical accuracy skills. In addition, a psychological and oral directive evaluation will be given as well. If you do well on all parts of the exam, you'll start the training process.

Attend an extensive training course. Once the department hires you as a 911 operator, you'll go through training courses on the job and in the classroom. On average, you'll need to receive training for 6 months prior to taking calls on your own. Training programs teach the medical and logistical skills required for the job. An operator needs to know how to work a 911 address checking and grid map system

Read more: How to Become a 911 Operator | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4583575_become-911-operator.html#ixzz1qpm2FJ8R

not a word about learning the law, and being qualified to dispense advise on the law.....
parados

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:22 pm
@hawkeye10,

Quote:
not a word about learning the law, and being qualified to dispense advise on the law.....

An associate degree doesn't make anyone a lawyer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Advising someone to not stalk another human has absolutely nothing to do with the law.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:48 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Advising someone to not stalk another human has absolutely nothing to do with the law.

"you dont need to do that" was clearly in reference to policing, as it is a given that no one needs to pursue. Zimmerman was thinking that he was helping the police keep his neighborhood safe by performing neighborhood watch duties , and the 911 operator said in response "you dont need to do that" in reference to pursuit being part of those duties. It is however not clear that the operator has more subject matter expertise than does Zimmerman.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It is however not clear that the operator has more subject matter expertise than does Zimmerman.

I think that the facts as they unfolded, after that piece of given advice, point up rather clearly just how much more expertise/common sense/smarts/... the operator had/has.

I wonder if the operator's screen flashed "Warning, extreme nutcase!!".

How many times in your life have you had occasion to call 9-11, Hawk? How many had GZ had since January 2011?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:15 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Hawk? How many had GZ had since January 2011

Dont know, but neighborhood watch people are told to report ANYTHING suspicious right away, so claims that many calls to 911 indicate that Zimmerman is a whack job are nonsense.