Florida's Stand your Ground law

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Dont know, but neighborhood watch people are told to report ANYTHING suspicious right away, so claims that many calls to 911 indicate that Zimmerman is a whack job are nonsense.

I had to look twice at the avatar to see if that was Parados.

This isn't like you, Hawk. Aren't you Mr Honesty?

Quote:
9. Zimmerman called the police 46 times since 2004.

Quote:
20. Zimmerman was not a member of a registered Neighborhood Watch group. Zimmerman also violated basic Neighborhood Watch guidelines by carrying a weapon. [ABC News]

Quote:
25. In April 2011, Zimmerman called the police to report a suspicious black male, “7-9″ years old, “skinny build.” [Daily Beast]

All quotes are from,

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/03/18/446768/what-everyone-should-know-about-about-trayvon-martin-1995-2012/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:35 pm
@JTT,
My understanding is the police highly discourage the carrying of guns, but dont tend to refuse to work with neighborhood watch volunteers who choose to do so. It would be good to know how closely police worked with Zimmerman, and if they knew that he packs.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
My understanding is the police highly discourage the carrying of guns, but dont tend to refuse to work with neighborhood watch volunteers who choose to do so.

I realize, Hawk, that it's much too much to expect anyone to source facts when opinions are so easy to come by.

Quote:

Neighborhood Watch Manual
USAonWatch - National Neighborhood Watch Program

https://www.bja.gov/publications/nsa_nw_manual.pdf

Patrol members should be trained by law enforcement. It should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers and they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles. They should also be cautioned to alert police or deputies when encountering strange activity. Members should never confront suspicious persons who could be armed and dangerous.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:24 am
@JTT,
Quote:
I realize, Hawk, that it's much too much to expect anyone to source facts when opinions are so easy to come by

I hate doing other people research JTT, so I normally wait for someone to dispute my assertions with a quote before I feel obligated to provide documentation, but just this one time and for you I will make an exception...

Quote:
That's common sense, many Neighborhood Watch coordinators say, despite the alleged actions of self-appointed watch captain George Zimmerman, who admitted to fatally shooting an unarmed teen in his gated Sanford neighborhood last month.

"You don't do anything that would potentially put you in harm's way," said St. Petersburg's Broadwater Neighborhood Watch coordinator Ted Seefeldt. "You simply observe and report to police."

Across the Tampa Bay area this week, law enforcement agencies and Neighborhood Watch groups roundly rejected the pursuit of a suspect, as Zimmerman's 911 call indicated he did.

Though many declined to pass judgement on the Sanford man, who doesn't face charges, they described their group's policies — many of them meant to discourage such an encounter. Several agencies explicitly prohibit volunteers from carrying firearms.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/policy-of-caution-guides-neighborhood-watch-groups/1221327

In other-words most do not, and it most certainly is not a universal requirement.

Now it is your turn big boy...try to prove me wrong (and this WILL NOT happen this time).....
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 01:14 am
Read the first three paragraphs of your cite, hawkeye.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 01:18 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Read the first three paragraphs of your cite, hawkeye.

I did, and I found it to support my assertion that packing is highly discouraged. The end supports my assertion that this advise is not a requirement.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 01:53 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
My understanding is the police highly discourage the carrying of guns, but dont tend to refuse to work with neighborhood watch volunteers who choose to do so. It would be good to know how closely police worked with Zimmerman, and if they knew that he packs.
What 's the difference??
If he calls in a robbery or a burglary in progress,
what r thay going to DO?? Ignore him ?

CONGRATULATIONS on your restaurant!

May your food be yummy!

David
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What 's the difference??

If the police decided that he was a danger or a crank who was wasting their time then they would twist his arm to cease and desist. As multiple analysis have concluded the video of him arriving at the police station indicates that they had the opposite view of him. As does the decision to not charge him. In that case the 911 operators would have been very short with him,which again is not what we see.

Quote:

Thanks. I now see why you were a latchkey kid....running a new business is more difficult and time consuming than I imagined.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:26 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What 's the difference??
hawkeye10 wrote:
If the police decided that he was a danger or a crank who was wasting their time then they would twist his arm to cease and desist. As multiple analysis have concluded the video of him arriving at the police station indicates that they had the opposite view of him. As does the decision to not charge him. In that case the 911 operators would have been very short with him,which again is not what we see.
I don 't see much chance
that if he calls in a violent felony in progress,
that thay will throw caution to the winds n just eat their donuts,
because he has a little 9mm automatic.

Quote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Thanks. I now see why you were a latchkey kid....running a new business
is more difficult and time consuming than I imagined.
May your profits prosper & flourish.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If the police decided that he was a danger or a crank who was wasting their time then they would twist his arm to cease and desist.

You are funny hawkeye.. On one hand you argue that without being able to force someone to do something no one can force them to do something and then you argue that without being able to force someone to do something they would be able to force them to do something.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:06 pm
@parados,
Quote:
If the police decided that he was a danger or a crank who was wasting their time then they would twist his arm to cease and desist.
parados wrote:
You are funny hawkeye.. On one hand you argue that without being able to force someone to do something no one can force them to do something and then you argue that without being able to force someone to do something they would be able to force them to do something.
Odd (partial??) ellipsis, there; I 've seen that several members of this forum
have adopted the practice of putting 2 periods consecutively.

I understand what 3 of them
and what 4 of them mean, but I 'm surprized to see 2 of them.

Will u indicate what u mean to express
with 2 consecutive periods, Mr. Parados ??

David
parados

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 08:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Will u indicate what u mean to express
with 2 consecutive periods, Mr. Parados ??

David

Irony David?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:09 pm
It sends a coded message to those of us who know what it means, David..

We know, we're laughing at you, and we're not telling you..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:23 pm
@parados,
2 periods represent irony ?

Really ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
It sends a coded message to those of us who know what it means, David..

We know, we're laughing at you, and we're not telling you..
Keep giggling. . . .
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:26 pm
You haven't figured out on your own that it's irony? We'll DEFINITELY keep giggling.... (four dots, doubly ironic.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:44 pm
@MontereyJack,
4 dots r paradigmatic; no news there.

In regard to the giggling,
I don 't care much.

I don 't choose to get into the personality conflict
that has been so pervasive in some of these social media fora.

That is wasteful, vain, empty. U can have it; I don't want it.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 02:58 am
teehee..
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 07:50 am
Gallup/USA Poll: Whites Overwhelmingly Believe Zimmerman is Innocent

"...Not only does white America predominately believe in Zimmerman's innocence, 43 percent of them say they believe that there is too much media coverage surrounding the case - compared to only 16 percent of Black people who feel the same, according to an earlier Pew Research Center poll..."

http://newsone.com/2001237/trayvon-martin-zimmerman-guilty/

To that blurb I excerpted in the article, I would reply: Does the name Natalie Holloway mean anything to you?
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:13 am
@snood,
Good grief, really? Overwhelmingly?

I went back and looked at the original Gallup poll -- that's not quite true.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/153776/Blacks-Nonblacks-Hold-Sharply-Different-Views-Martin-Case.aspx

To the question "Is George Zimmerman guilty of a crime?", 51 percent of blacks said yes and 11% of nonblacks said yes.

However, 61 percent of nonblacks answered "Unclear from available information/ no opinion" to that question (while 27% of blacks gave that answer).

That's not "innocent." That's probably the answer I'd give, out of those options. We don't have enough info yet.

I think it's likely enough that he committed a crime that he should have been arrested -- and that's my main concern.