Florida's Stand your Ground law

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 02:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I believe that the motivation in that
is concern of witness intimidation.

More commonly known as the assumption that women are too weak to stand up for their own best interests, so the state must coerce them into it ......
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 02:55 am
@hawkeye10,
DAVID wrote:
I believe that the motivation in that
is concern of witness intimidation.
hawkeye10 wrote:
More commonly known as the assumption that women are too weak
to stand up for their own best interests,
U think that none of them r ?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 08:12 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm becoming unsettled by how often I'm voting up your posts in this thread. I share a distaste for gated communities and the mentalities that come with them. Likewise the "no sidewalks, no public transportation" mentality, people who want to restrict other people's ability to reach them but simultaneously restrict their own movement, which I believe is based on a similar way of thinking.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
In full because it is so good
Part of it was very, very alien.

The Gated Community Mentality

By RICH BENJAMIN

Published: March 29, 2012

Rich Benjamin is the author of “Searching for Whitopia:
An Improbable Journey to the Heart of White America” and a senior fellow at Demos, a nonpartisan research center

Quote:
AS a black man who has been mugged at gunpoint by a black teenager late at night, I am not naïve: I know firsthand the awkward conundrums surrounding race, fear and crime. Trayvon Martin’s killing at the hands of George Zimmerman baffles this nation. While the youth’s supporters declare in solidarity “We are all Trayvon,” the question is raised, to what extent is the United States also all George Zimmerman?

Under assault, I didn’t dream of harming my teenage assailant, let alone taking his life.
That is weird; a most exotic, bizarre thought process.
Reflecting upon my own attack, MY impetus to counter-attack was reflexive.

Quote:
Mr. Zimmerman reacted very differently, taking out his handgun
and shooting the youth in cold blood.
That is not likely what happened, but if Mr. Z became the victim of violent crime
at the hands of decedent, then his successful defense is admirable.

Quote:
What gives?

Welcome to gate-minded America.

From 2007 to 2009, I traveled 27,000 miles, living in predominantly white gated communities across this country to research a book. I threw myself into these communities with gusto — no Howard Johnson or Motel 6 for me. I borrowed or rented residents’ homes. From the red-rock canyons of southern Utah to the Waffle-House-pocked exurbs of north Georgia, I lived in gated communities as a black man, with a youthful style and face, to interview and observe residents.

The perverse, pervasive real-estate speak I heard in these communities champions a bunker mentality.
Residents often expressed a fear of crime that was exaggerated beyond the actual criminal threat,
This is from someone who thinks little of "criminal threats"
even when he is being robbed at gunpoint

Quote:
as documented by their police department’s statistics. Since you can say “gated community” only so many times, developers hatched an array of Orwellian euphemisms to appease residents’ anxieties: “master-planned community,” “landscaped resort community,” “secluded intimate neighborhood.”

No matter the label, the product is the same: self-contained, conservative and overzealous in its demands for “safety.”
We shud NOT be conservative???? We shud be deviant?????
We shud not care about defending ourselves & our property????

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/opinion/the-gated-community-mentality.html?_r=1&hpw

hawkeye10 wrote:
I am interested to see here the connection made between my hostility towards the utopia builders and my hostility towards gated communities. I had not before now put them together.
Some friends of mine live in a gated community in Florida.
I 'm considering the possibility of joining them, Hawkeye.

David
snood

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 06:08 pm
I've always disliked Joe Scarborough. But he has been consistent in his stance about the Martin case from the first time he commented on it.

Good on ya, Joe.

"Why is it that some on the right are actually taking this up as a cause?" Scarborough asked. "As National Review said almost immediately after it happened, this has nothing to do with gun rights, this has nothing to do with the Second Amendment, this has nothing to do with stand your ground laws, this has nothing to do with the NRA. This has everything to do with a guy that's trying to play security cop, who is unhinged, who chased down and shot a 17-year-old kid armed with Skittles and iced tea.'"

Scarborough warned that conservative sites should follow the National Review and "not take this up as a cause." He took issue with their portrayal of Martin in particular.

He said, "some racist websites, but also sadly some fairly mainstream websites are actually going into Trayvon Martin’s social media pages, be it Twitter or MySpace, and they're trying to find ominous looking pictures while skipping over pictures of him holding up a birthday cake smiling, him fishing with his dad, him standing outside proudly of his home dressed in a tux ready to go to prom."

"This is beneath contempt," Scarborough railed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/joe-scarborough-trayvon-martin-conservative-websites_n_1392019.html
JTT

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 06:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Some friends of mine live in a gated community in Florida.
I 'm considering the possibility of joining them, Hawkeye.

You could be their new security guard, Om, uniform and all. Walk around, chest all puffed out, pistol strapped to your waist. You'd be in Om heaven.
snood

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 07:00 pm
I only hope any gated community Omsick joins locks from the outside.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 07:38 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

"Why is it that some on the right are actually taking this up as a cause?" Scarborough asked. "

damifino
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:49 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I'm becoming unsettled by how often I'm voting up your posts in this thread. I share a distaste for gated communities and the mentalities that come with them. Likewise the "no sidewalks, no public transportation" mentality, people who want to restrict other people's ability to reach them but simultaneously restrict their own movement, which I believe is based on a similar way of thinking.

You should not be because while I am a flame thrower I am also right a lot of the time, and I have a heart of gold. The problem with gated communities is that it is an attempt by people to escape the ills of this collective. We need to FIX the ills of this collective as we are in very deep trouble, and to do this we need all hands on deck. Those who chose to live behind bars are loafers, and as such they deserve our scorn.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:57 pm
@JTT,
I have no interest in working.

David
tenderfoot

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
But its not working... look how you could prove your beliefs, bet you'd soon have all the badies in a heap and full of nice shiny bullets and be able to do it with the law behind you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:19 pm
@tenderfoot,
Its pretty quiet in my friends' gated Florida community.
I don' t believe that thay have crime; no complaints (except 1 domestic dispute).

I m not going to wear any uniform, as J proposes.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Should I assume that the draw of moving from NY to Florida is the normal one....the opportunity to avoid parting with some of your money through taxes?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
FreeDuck wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
You should not be because while I am a flame thrower I am also right a lot of the time, and I have a heart of gold. The problem with gated communities is that it is an attempt by people to escape the ills of this collective. We need to FIX the ills of this collective as we are in very deep trouble, and to do this we need all hands on deck. Those who chose to live behind bars are loafers, and as such they deserve our scorn.
No. As an Individualist, I disdain and scorn your ideals.
"Let the public be damned!
I 'm running this RR to make a profit." Wm. Henry Vanderbilt.
THAT's America to me!

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Should I assume that the draw of moving from NY to Florida is the normal one....
the opportunity to avoid parting with some of your money through taxes?
The avoidance of public or of private robbery is always the desideratum.
Each Individual citizen shud exploit the collective to the maximum.
In other words, in contemplation of kennedy's demand:
"ask not what I can do for u; ask what u can do for ME" and
turn it around backward for optimal use.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Looking around at how difficult it has been for a long while to get investment in projects for the public good i'd have to say that your side has been winning. We have gotten in the habit of compensating by passing laws depriving citizens of our rights and calling the problems fixed. The law and the billy club are seldom the right tools to solve major collective problems, but we dont want to admit that, because then we would actually need to do the work to solve problems. The authoritarian utopia builders are at heart slackers, just as are gated community residents.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
The authoritarian utopia builders are at heart
slackers, just as are gated community residents.
Thay have no duty to do anything.
Life is the opportunity to have fun!

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Work first, then play. A job well done is so much more rewarding than is fun.

Oh ya, you are a lawyer, so you would not know about that. SORRY!
JTT

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I have no interest in working.

You have no interest in thinking, Om, as is evidenced by your inane ideas on language and most everything else.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Work first, then play. A job well done is so much more rewarding than is fun.

Oh ya, you are a lawyer, so you would not know about that. SORRY!
It did not feel like work.

David